Fml!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Atown PA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fml!

I put new spark plugs in yesterday with my buddie and today I noticed a shaking while driving my car. I took the car to the dealership and I they told me that the back left plug was stripped or cross threaded(Something along those lines)and they might not be able to get it out! They were also saying that I might need a new head! I'm keeping the car there over the weekend and they're going to see what they can do. Is a new head necessary in this situation?
Old 06-13-2009, 02:45 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Berksallday
I put new spark plugs in yesterday with my buddie and today I noticed a shaking while driving my car. I took the car to the dealership and I they told me that the back left plug was stripped or cross threaded(Something along those lines)and they might not be able to get it out! They were also saying that I might need a new head! I'm keeping the car there over the weekend and they're going to see what they can do. Is a new head necessary in this situation?
i am the buddy, i tightened it first by hand with a short extension. Once it felt that it was seated, i gave it a 2/3 turn with the wrench. We finished up the rest of the plugs and wires and I double checked that plug by trying to make sure it was fully seated so it wouldn't blow out. I turned ccw by hand and it loosened by hand. So i snugged it up wit the ratched.

We were doing this when the motor was still warm. - The autolite plug wires were garbage and would not sit right. One in particular was a problem, so we replaced that with the old stock wire, started the car up - gunned it - no check engine lights, souned fine.

I told berksallday to go for a ride and make sure everything was copestetic driving it around cuz it had got late. Well i picked up him up from acura dealer to day to find out that one of the plugs will not come out, but they are saying it was cross-threaded - stripped?

I thought they would have to remove it first to be say all this??? if they havn't removed the plug completely how do they know that the threads are bad?

I think the issue was spark plug wires not being seated right because last night the motor was fine.

i dont trust dealers - they are trying to make a play, they are rediculous. The plug wires weren't sitting on right, and when they were the plugs themselves were doing there job, no check engine light, gunned it, no misfires - no cel's.

They take it in, and want to remove the plugs? Well how do i know they didn't strip it out removing it or putting it back in? I don't know what goes on behind closed doors over there at the dealer.

I know when I worked on this I put the plug in by hand and it was threading correctly, I snugged it up and i did not over torque - i'm human like all of us and make mistakes, but i am pretty sure I did not strip/cross thread, at best i may have over tigthened, but nothing rediculous - as soon as the ratchet gave me any kind of play - gently snugged em up to about the feel of a gallon of water.

i'm thinking he went in with these stupid autolite plgu wires not seating right causings a misfire - and are trying to take you to town on the head FTL
Old 06-13-2009, 02:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Berksallday
A new head would be IDEAL of course with your mileage - and do whatever timing stuff needs to be done - not sure if thats a belt or chains. They are probably going to say that you need to have the head taken off and this that and the other thing. It's way easier for them to just swap a head on it and your good go - the alternative is wayyyy cheaper but is more labor intensive (its more of a pita for the tech, so their quick to say just replace the head - less work.

NO, a new head is NOT neccessary - it can be helicoiled (thread inserts). A good mechanic can do this with out even taking the head off with the right tools. But as i said before i'm not sure how they can say that its cross threaded - stripped when they are saying they can't get the plug out? It could just be over tightened, but i'm not even sure on that? I'm not even sure why they removed the plugs in the first place when it was working properly before with the plug wires seated correctly? Which means the plugs were fine?

but your cars at a dealer, and i'm assuming that you told them you and I did this ourselves and it did not come out right - the misfiring is shaking feeling. So they don't give a shit about your money - they are going to make a play that you need a new head - don't let them do it.

Last edited by Mind As Well Be Boosting; 06-13-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:11 PM
10th Gear

I have done plugs on my dohc 4.6 many many times warm and not warm and my heads only have 4 threads so i am always very very careful. I also recently helped a buddy with his audi s4 with plugs, which also has aluminum heads - also did his while warm. I took the same due diligence doing his car as I would my own or any other friend that I would lend a hand to. This has me really bummed as well FML
Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 PM
10th Gear

tool

http://toolmonger.com/2007/11/14/un-...ark-plug-hole/

this is a tool that could be used to solve your problem - if the threads are indeed bad on that cylinder.

http://www.back-tap.com/
Old 06-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

lol....damn dude you can let some buddy work on your car if he doesn't know ish about it.

THe only thing i can think of is that you put the ignition wires in the wrong place. From the distributor to the plug ports.

Good luck. Acura will tell you anything. Make sure to have them give you the messed up threaded plug
Old 06-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mind As Well Be Boosting
I have done plugs on my dohc 4.6 many many times warm and not warm and my heads only have 4 threads so i am always very very careful. I also recently helped a buddy with his audi s4 with plugs, which also has aluminum heads - also did his while warm. I took the same due diligence doing his car as I would my own or any other friend that I would lend a hand to. This has me really bummed as well FML

Did you also perchance try and port and polish your buddies Audi IM with a bag of contractor sand?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Anhedonia
Did you also perchance try and port and polish your buddies Audi IM with a bag of contractor sand?
LOL your a funny guy. i found a replacement motor for him for a hundred bucks suck on it. intake manifold - was it that hard to write out? yea i put sand in his motor. no his car runs great - i'm not even sure i messed anything up on berks car - i did spark plugs the way i did on any other car- the wires kept falling off but when they would stay on the car was fine so im not sure wtf the deal is but keep you your bs comments to yourself funny guy.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
10th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by WineRed2.2CL
lol....damn dude you can let some buddy work on your car if he doesn't know ish about it.

THe only thing i can think of is that you put the ignition wires in the wrong place. From the distributor to the plug ports.

Good luck. Acura will tell you anything. Make sure to have them give you the messed up threaded plug
dude i put the plug in right, as far as i know? ive done this on many many cars - whatever *ish* will get handled. In heinzeit i shouldn't have touched it if i knew this was going to happen. I was satisfied with the plug part of the job it was the wires that kept falling off and causing it to misfire, when the wires weren't falling of cuz of stupid autolite crap wires the motor responded fine.

luckily all the trap stars love to work and steal hondas, 100 bucks for a replacement motor. head kit and timing belt kit for another 300 - a case of beer, - call it a weekend.

we might even get froggy and put in a newer J series 3.2 and you can suck on it twice!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Drifting

... you obviously know nothing about the internet. or Azine.

educate yourself n00b

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80267

Last edited by Anhedonia; 06-13-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

educate yourself n00b

oh i know what you meant funny man - muffler bearings hardy har har - stfu
Old 06-13-2009, 05:32 PM
10th Gear

j32a2 into 1998 3.0 cl
Old 06-13-2009, 05:35 PM
10th Gear

tucker i just spoke with your mother, she is very dissapointed in you.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
lol this is getting blown way outta proportion. the dude is concerned because he helped on the job, what's so wrong w/that? if u don't have something constructive to say to help then y say anything and make yourself look like a douchebag? and if ur joking its cool, just let it be known w/a ''j/k'' then add something constructive after since there are n00bs involved who won't pick up on it unless its obvious.

pay for whatever diag they did, and get the car back. double check all the work you guys did because it honestly sounds like it might have been the components you bought and not the procedure or work u did, or acura fucked it up n wants u to pay for it. make sure yourself that its cross threaded. I once thought I cross threaded my plugs but the socket wasn't properly seated on the plug. if it is in fact cross threaded, i'd helicoil the head which isn't that expensive. or if its completely f'ed, i'd rig up the plug n wire as best I could to work till I could buy a used one and get it cleaned up at a machine shop then swap heads. this way, you're sure of ur issue, and u find a cheaper way to fix it. no stealership issue, no need to get ur trapstar friend to rob innocent people of their belongings for your benefit.

berks with a sexy ass CL like that, I wouldn't ever have even thought of using anything autolite. the correct plugs and wires for the car to perform to the top of its abilities anyway is either ngk or denso. autolite is crap, made for american cars. good luck dude, hope it comes out better than it seems at the moment.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Drifting

I just dont see how this guy is planning on doing a j32 swap for 100$ i havent seen any input from berks since the first post he made, and all this guy is saying is funny guy har har har suck on it. I just dont respect anyone that joins a forum.. then the first fucking day hes hear, runs his mouth. talk is cheap, as we all know.

If your going to do a j32 swap.. are you doing a 6 speed swap as well? Since you have this apparently amazing hookup on engines etc it shouldnt be too hard.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 PM
10th Gear

I just dont see how this guy is planning on doing a j32 swap for 100$ i havent seen any input from berks since the first post he made, and all this guy is saying is funny guy har har har suck on it. I just dont respect anyone that joins a forum.. then the first fucking day hes hear, runs his mouth. talk is cheap, as we all know.

If your going to do a j32 swap.. are you doing a 6 speed swap as well? Since you have this apparently amazing hookup on engines etc it shouldnt be too hard.
funny man chill out - your the one who started popping off calling me a noob... and something about putting sand in an intake manifold, GFYS.

not doing any kind of swap - were waiting on the dealer to see if they can figure it out, retap - helicoil it with out taking the head off.

if they want to take the head off, im gonna buy a replacemnet j30a1 whatever this thing is called i found one for a hundred bucks and im going to take the head off - or find a head cheaper. and rock on ---
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
lol this is getting blown way outta proportion. the dude is concerned because he helped on the job, what's so wrong w/that? if u don't have something constructive to say to help then y say anything and make yourself look like a douchebag? and if ur joking its cool, just let it be known w/a ''j/k'' then add something constructive after since there are n00bs involved who won't pick up on it unless its obvious.

pay for whatever diag they did, and get the car back. double check all the work you guys did because it honestly sounds like it might have been the components you bought and not the procedure or work u did, or acura fucked it up n wants u to pay for it. make sure yourself that its cross threaded. I once thought I cross threaded my plugs but the socket wasn't properly seated on the plug. if it is in fact cross threaded, i'd helicoil the head which isn't that expensive. or if its completely f'ed, i'd rig up the plug n wire as best I could to work till I could buy a used one and get it cleaned up at a machine shop then swap heads. this way, you're sure of ur issue, and u find a cheaper way to fix it. no stealership issue, no need to get ur trapstar friend to rob innocent people of their belongings for your benefit.

berks with a sexy ass CL like that, I wouldn't ever have even thought of using anything autolite. the correct plugs and wires for the car to perform to the top of its abilities anyway is either ngk or denso. autolite is crap, made for american cars. good luck dude, hope it comes out better than it seems at the moment.
ok looks like an intelligent member provided an intelligent response. This is exactly what we are doing. Autolite is definetly crap and I competely agree. I think the spark plugs were not autolite though - I think think the plugs were oem? But I am not sure, they were black threads - and the washer had to be put on.

for the price of these j30a1's, i'm not sweating anymore. Replacing a head is not that big of a job if it came down to it. I'm sure the dealer if they are completely honest would be able to helicoil or retap it with out taking the head off for a decent price.

I did the job the way i did any other cars, everything seemed fine.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,067 Posts
Get out of here with that shit
Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
black plugs w/the washer needing to be put on are autolite btw. we use em at my school for the clip-cars.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

educate yourself n00b

OMG. 27 pages?!?!?!

sorry, won't say anything else, couldn't help it.

wow.

yeah you might be able to helicoil it or there's another method i learned this week. but my mechanic gets pissed when i give away his secrets.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mind as well be boosting
funny man chill out - your the one who started popping off calling me a noob... And something about putting sand in an intake manifold, gfys.

Not doing any kind of swap - were waiting on the dealer to see if they can figure it out, retap - helicoil it with out taking the head off.

If they want to take the head off, im gonna buy a replacemnet j30a1 whatever this thing is called i found one for a hundred bucks and im going to take the head off - or find a head cheaper. And rock on ---

edit:

Last edited by Anhedonia; 06-13-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: not fucking worth it with this kid.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Atown PA

I'd appreciate it if we can keep all the arguing off my thread. Right now all I need is some positive feedback on methods of fixing this problem without having to spend mucho $$. Thank you
Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a feeling the dealer's mechanic cross threaded it. Because a bad positioned/plugged wire will create missfires
Old 06-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Atown PA

IDK, the engine was shaking and my car had a feel like it was gonna stall out before I brought it there. I think it was cross threaded before I brought it in
Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,067 Posts
but keep you your bs comments to yourself funny guy.
He refuses to learn to do that, it's not for lack of trying on my part

and you can suck on it twice!
No need for the hostility, I understand you were being attacked, but please chill

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
lol this is getting blown way outta proportion. the dude is concerned because he helped on the job, what's so wrong w/that? if u don't have something constructive to say to help then y say anything and make yourself look like a douchebag?
Someone comes in here asking a question, and anhedonia posts bullshit about sand in an intake, come on grow up

funny man chill out - your the one who started popping off calling me a noob... and something about putting sand in an intake manifold
Good point, once again anhedonia if you don't have anything to say to help, stay out of the thread

GFYS.
No need for this either, I'm done babysitting. Grow up kiddies
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Stop the BS in here.

MAWBB- You're new here, please don't take the bait and start name calling and lashing out already.

Anhedonia- You're still relatively new also, so the same goes for you.

If you guys can't play nice, you won't play at all, period. Temp or permanent bans will be enforced.

Far too many people are running around here shooting their mouths off, and it really needs to stop.

Consider this your one and ONLY warning.

-Dan