Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

First Time DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 07:52 AM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time DIY

Hi All,

I've never changed any parts on my car before, but unfortunately because every $#@%#$%#$ mechanic I've been to in this Town has either been a thief or completely incompetent I think I'd like to change a couple of things on my Acura myself. I have a buddy who's done some light work on cars before, but never on Acuras, so I was wondering if there were any illustrated instructions on how to:

1) Change Tranny Fluid
2) Change Oil
3) Change Spark Plugs

The weather has just started to get a bit decent here, and I may want to get a start on this ASAP.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-26-2003, 08:56 AM

Anybody?

I did a search and didn't find anything for Oil changes...

HeLp!!
Old 03-26-2003, 09:22 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those are all simple to do. Changing the tranny fluid will probably be the most difficult of the 3, but it is still fairly easy to do. I would suggest getting the Helms manual for our cars. It has very good instructions and diagrams for many repair and maintenance applications for our cars.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:56 AM

Thanks!

I just bid on a service manual on ebay.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:18 AM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't have an auto so i can't help you with the tranny fluid, but it's pretty simple. get a helms manual like joeshmoe said -you might have to get one for the accord (up to 97 model year).
but oil is easy:
1. start car and let it run for about 5-10 minutes to get oil warm- it'll drain much easier
2. stop car and open oil cap to allow the oil to drain better
3. put car on lift or jack stands (actaully this is optional - my last change i didn't need to do this but I also know where everything is so i don't need to see that well. DO NOT USE JUST A LIFT (DANGEROUS)
4. you'll need to get a oil pan and put in under the oil drain plug (from the front of the car it is to the right side near the tire)
5. to get it loose you may need a breaker bar or an impact wrench - you can also use two cresent wrenches) - the bolt size is 17 mm
5. drain the oil into the pan and let it just go for a while until its just dripping slowly
6. you're also going to need to change the oil filter- this is tricky becasue it's tucked away - this is when you're going to need the manual to see where its's located. you may need a filter wrench to get it off or jam a screwdriver into it and twist it off
7. put in new filter - take some new (you can use the old oil if you prefer, but better to use new) and coat the outside rim of the filter with the oil along the outer edges and along the rubber part
8. screw it on -when it gets to the point where it gets hard to tighten, turn it a half a turn more- not too tight -remember you're going to have to take if off at the next change
9. screw drain plug back -same thing not too tight - about a turn and 1/2 after it gets tight
10. put in about 4 quarts of oil and start car let it run for about a minute, cut it off and and check the dipstick to see the level
11. repeat step 10 until it gets into the okay range (about 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 quarts)

plugs are easy too
1. MAKE SUE CAR IS COLD at least an hour of not running (VERY IMPORTANT- you'll end up breaking a plug in the cylinder if not)
2. use a ratchet and a spark plug socket (little rubber piece inside socket that holds plug)
3. take out each plug 1 at a time
4. when replacing with stock or "normal" plugs you will need to "gap" them accordingly -specs on this will be in the helms or your owner's manual and you can get a gap checker from autozone or whatever for like a dollar- if you get bosch or whoever 2 point or 4 point, or plugs with a split electrode you wont have to gap them
5. you may need to spray a wd40 or silicone lub to the inside of the spark plug socket (the rubber that allowed you to grab the plug may get stuck and the socket may come off when you pull out) get them tight and then 1/2 turn more
That's it!

this is really easier than it sounds and gets easier each time
Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2003, 12:07 PM

Thanks so much swclown...

I'll take pics as I go along!
Old 03-26-2003, 12:17 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
any time
Old 03-26-2003, 12:50 PM

Anyone know how to change Auto's tranny fluid?

I'll probably change the air filter then too.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:08 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way I change the tranny fluid on my 3.0 was to buy 10 quarts of Honda ATF. Undo the bolt under your tranny and let the fluid flow out. Put the bolt back in, and fill her up to the top line on the dip stick. Drive the car for about 50 miles, then drain the fluid again. Fill her back up and drive another 50 miles. Drain it one more time, and fill to the top line on the dip stick.

This won't get 100% of the old fluid out, but it will get a sizeable majority of it out. Expect to pay between $40 and $50 for the fluid, but it's still cheaper than taking it to the dealer!

As far as the plugs, all you need the the proper size socket and a rachet with extension. Pull the plug wire off of the plug and remove the plug with the rachet/socket. Take a new plug and gap it to the appropriate gap size (you'll need a inexpensive tool for this--just ask at your local parts store). Put the new plug in until it is hand tight, then torque it in between 1/4 and 1/2 turn beyond hand tight. Replace the plug wire, and repeat on the other 3 cylinders.

I recommend replacing the plug wires. These are easy to do, just make sure as you remove a plug wire, you put the new one on the correct spark plug and distributor cap location.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Midnight Marauder

If you want to do work yourself and do it right, and easy you'll need to invest a little in tools forst. It's always best to have the right tool for the job.
I have a simple but effective set, it doesn't cost a lot but certain things make all the difference.
Go to walmart or Sears for good prices. Look for a combo set to save money.

1. Screw driver with multiple tips. Works in most situations and is a lot cheaper than buying one driver for each type of tip.
2. MUST - Socket set for US and Metric sizes with Ratchet. Some sets even include a special spark plug socket. Look for a set that includes a few adaptors and extenders too. ake sure the sockets will work on the ratchet you buy if you buy seperately.
3. A simple set of box-end/open end wrenches. Metric and US.
4. Pliers, 1 small and 1 larger "adjustable" pliers
5. Adjustable Crescent Wrench.
6. MUST - floor jack and at least 2 jackstands! Please don't rely on the jack to keep the car from falling and killing you. It would suck to die doing an oil change. People would say you were too cheap to pay for an oil change AND too cheap to buy jackstands for $10!!
7. Optional - Torque Wrench. Great to have. Buy the BEST one you can afford.

If you don't have a lot of $ get a simple set of name brand tools.
If you don't mind the initial investment, get the best you can afford, and look at wrenches/sockets etc with smooth polished bodies as the grease and oil will wipe off easier.

Keep 'em clean and they'll keep you happy!

Peace!
Old 03-28-2003, 10:55 AM

Thanks guys.

I will go out and buy the fluids and tools and I'm looking at making this next weekend's project...

Anyone know how to change the air filter?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Midnight Marauder

Do a search for K&N drop-in filters.
You'll spend just a little more initially but you'll never have to buy another air filter. You just wash the filter and re-oil it.
It flows better.

Buy a Haynes manual or other such manual. It'll show you where everything is.

Usually air filters have just a few clips or screws holding them on.
Search for how to remove your intake resonator as well. That's an easy way to get free power.