factory alarm on 1st gen CL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 07:27 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory alarm on 1st gen CL?

Does anyone out there have a factory alarm on their 1st gen CLs? Are our stock alarms adequate? Do you know where I can get some info on installing a shock sensor to my stock alarm?
thanks

DAN
acuradan69@aol.com
2.3CL
Old 08-15-2001, 12:21 PM
Racer

I would just replace it if you are worried about things getting stole off of or out of your car.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:53 PM
First Gen PRINCESS

Yeah, I agree. I think Acura put it on the car as they knew the customer would expect to have one (even a basic one) in their cars at this price level and class. However, early into the ownership I realized it's pretty much just for the convenience of having the keyless entry and to access the trunk (duh since there's no keyhole!). I don't mind, though, cause I like my car the way it is. However, one thing I don't necessarily care for is how loud the "chirps" are when it's activated to sound. I like the little confirmation of letting me know the doors are all locked but it is a tad loud. Anyway, yeah, so if you're looking for better protection, aftermarket is probably the way to go, IMO.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:01 PM
Hum........what next??

Originally posted by MauiWowieCL:
<STRONG>..........However, one thing I don't necessarily care for is how loud the "chirps" are when it's activated to sound. I like the little confirmation of letting me know the doors are all locked but it is a tad loud..........</STRONG>
Hey Maui! My car never makes a sound unless I have one of the doors open. Sometimes I'm not sure if it armed or not. When I first got it I thought maybe you have to push the button a second time to hear a chirp (that's how my Si was). But that doesn't work either......it's totally silent when I arm it. You can hear the doors lock and the parking lights will flash.

Anyone know if my alarm is F'ed up?

Anyone know how to fix it???
Old 08-15-2001, 04:05 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Originally posted by MauiWowieCL:
<STRONG>Yeah, I agree. I think Acura put it on the car as they knew the customer would expect to have one (even a basic one) in their cars at this price level and class. However, early into the ownership I realized it's pretty much just for the convenience of having the keyless entry and to access the trunk (duh since there's no keyhole!). I don't mind, though, cause I like my car the way it is. However, one thing I don't necessarily care for is how loud the "chirps" are when it's activated to sound. I like the little confirmation of letting me know the doors are all locked but it is a tad loud. Anyway, yeah, so if you're looking for better protection, aftermarket is probably the way to go, IMO. </STRONG>
FYI, theres a way to turn off the audible chirp. My alarm just flashes the parking lights on arm and disarm (fogs too since the relay runs off the corner light). If youre interested Ill do some looking into how (my dealer guy did it on the keyless entry remote if I rememeber correctly).
Old 08-15-2001, 04:37 PM
Racer

It should be in the owners manaul. I had the problem of the sounds turning off on me because I did something, but I looked in the manaul and it tells you how to turn them on and off.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by KikAzCL97:
<STRONG>It should be in the owners manaul. I had the problem of the sounds turning off on me because I did something, but I looked in the manaul and it tells you how to turn them on and off.</STRONG>
It is in the owner's manual, however I will tell you anyway because I happen to like the chirp and I always turn it off by accident. All you have to do is hold down the trunk release and door lock buttons until you get a steady light on the remote. This is tell the remote that you want an audible chirp. It will chirp once when locking the doors, twice when opening them. Yes, it's a tad bit loud, but very distingishable to the CL...
Old 08-15-2001, 08:05 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Any of you electrical engineers out there know if an inline resistor would drop the siren by a couple of dbs?
Old 08-15-2001, 08:32 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

As to the intial question.. no its not a n adequate alarm.. all it does is protect you from your doors, hood and trunk from being oipened when armed and the car started.... thats the only way it sounds... there are som many alarms out there, but if they want your shit.. They'll TAKE IT regardless...
Old 08-16-2001, 04:28 PM
Adrienne

I suggest, if you're concerned, just put a shock sensor on it. They're like $10, as opposed to the $300-$500 you'll spend on an aftermarket alarm. And they do pretty much the same thing. Like he said, if they want your stuff, they'll take it, alarm or no alarm. Might as well alarm your car the cheapest way possible.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

how do u have the alarm to silent once u make it chirp?
Old 08-16-2001, 05:38 PM
Hum........what next??

I agree with BlueAngel, just get the shock sensor and save your $$$$$.

BTW Adrienne, are you having an identity crisis or what???? You're worse than Prince or whatever he goes by now.

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: CL-Z ]
Old 08-16-2001, 06:58 PM
Midnight Marauder

WOW! Thanks for the great info on the alarm!
I just figured I had a silent alarm. I work in the city and I like the peace of mind to just hear that chirp. It at least lets everyone know that you did lock your doors and have an alarm. I'm also tired of pressing the button as I walk away from the car and having to sneak a glance back to see if the lights flashed. In a noisy bright area it's sometimes hard to tell if the dang thing even locked the doors!

Thanks all.

Wow, it's like a free mod!