F23 turbo to H22 conversion complete

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:56 PM
A-CL Totaled Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenocron
Looks good...I think I may turbo my F23 in the next year or so. Nothing huge but would like to see ~220 on a reasonably small turbo for good spool and drivability.

Did you have to do anything special with the wiring? I assume just an OBD conversion harness and an OBD1 ecu with the Hondata.
to run hondata on the f23 you need to rewire and replace the IACV with an OBDI model in addition to using the conversion harness.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:16 PM
B A N N E D

Hondata is very expensive shit. My boy had it on his lude before he sold it. Im not going to use Hondata though. Xrunner, how much boost did you push through your f23 ? what can i get away with on my f22 ? My manifold came yesterday i just wish they made something other than these cast iron pos !!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:11 PM
A-CL Totaled Member

Originally Posted by ayougo
Hondata is very expensive shit. My boy had it on his lude before he sold it. Im not going to use Hondata though. Xrunner, how much boost did you push through your f23 ? what can i get away with on my f22 ? My manifold came yesterday i just wish they made something other than these cast iron pos !!
i was running 10 pounds. you can run more boost on a f22 because the compression is lower, but the determining factor is power not psi, so it depends on the turbo youre using. from my experience the f23 can handle just over 200whp reliably.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:01 AM
10th Gear

How much for the old engine????
Old 10-15-2005, 03:54 AM
B A N N E D

anyone have working vids of any car ? Im having clearance issues with my ac too :
Old 10-16-2005, 05:35 PM
A-CL Totaled Member

:Long rant, sorry:
This swap has been a nightmare. The first two weeks were amazing, the car was fast as hell, I had AC again, it was great. Then I started experiencing a problem with the car not maintaining idle very well, and it would sometimes stall out in neutral. The stalling started occuring more and more and I suspected it was a bad sensor as the car was otherwise driving normally. I took it back to my shop and they turned up the idle speed and plugged into the Hondata logger and said everything looked fine.

The problem continued getting worse and an increasing amount of smoke was coming from the exhaust under boost and high rpms. I was away at school in VA so I took it to the Honda dealership, where they refused to service it as the mechanic didn't want to work on a car that heavily modified and he suspected broken rings from how it was driving. I took the car back to MD to the shop that did the swap for the second time. They took apart the throttle body and cleaned it out in addition to the idle control valve. This made the problem significantly less severe. They said the smoke was probably bad turbo seals but they couldnt tell for sure without taking my turbo apart.

The smoke got to the point where it would come out of the breather on the valve cover at stop lights in addition to the exhaust. The idle/stalling problem started getting worse again so I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. I checked the charge piping for oil after running the car and there wasnt any. In addition, bad turbo seals would not explain oil filled smoke coming from the breather. Next I did a compression check and it turned out the Honda dealership was right. Cylinder 1 was about 80psi lower than the rest. This explained the idle problem in addition to the smoke.

The shop that did the swap is giving my the run around as far as we'll call you back and so on, and they take no responsibility for this. They originally talked me into the boosted swap rather than building the F, claiming it would be more power for the money. They were also very reassuring that it would hold that much power. Unfortunately there is no expressed warranty so I dont know what I can do. It is especially difficult since I am at school 3 hours away from the shop that did all this. I dont know if any legal action is possible. My 3 options as far as the motor are to get a new one altogether, take this one out and have the cylinder wall honed and get new pistons and rings, or to completely build it. I unfortunately dont have money for any of these options. I am very surprised a shop with the kind of reputation and volume of work would do something like this.
Cue lnsyone for the 'I told you so'
Old 10-16-2005, 05:39 PM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
old news

butit makes me wanna cry
Old 10-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Promiscious Boy

owned.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:07 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
that sucks

just keep calling the place...they'll get the idea
Old 10-16-2005, 09:19 PM
B A N N E D

Well, this is what i would do. Concidering the amount of boost you can run on the H22, i would recommend you take the motor out and swap the f series back in. I built my f series for around 2700 -3000 I would highly recommend you stick with boosting the f22. At 17 pounds of boost ( what im dialed to run ) i think you will be greatly satisfied with the power. Ive done alot of research and talk to some of the boosted F ers on the accord forums. They say a well built f series can produce 300-400 hp !! Theres alot of guys that are running 300 hp numbers reliably for months and years !!! The only issue with the F block is that with select pistons, you have to hone the walls and re sleeve the block. Clearance issues with the f manifold are making my head spin but some DSM manifold will work with new holes and if i can get my hands on a ss mani of for a DSM then work out clearance issues power will be better controlled and accepted.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Safety Car

damn, sucks balls dude, good luck gettin the shop to do anything.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Old 10-17-2005, 04:07 AM
CL 4 LYFE

Originally Posted by xrunner86x
:Long rant, sorry:
This swap has been a nightmare. The first two weeks were amazing, the car was fast as hell, I had AC again, it was great. Then I started experiencing a problem with the car not maintaining idle very well, and it would sometimes stall out in neutral. The stalling started occuring more and more and I suspected it was a bad sensor as the car was otherwise driving normally. I took it back to my shop and they turned up the idle speed and plugged into the Hondata logger and said everything looked fine.

The problem continued getting worse and an increasing amount of smoke was coming from the exhaust under boost and high rpms. I was away at school in VA so I took it to the Honda dealership, where they refused to service it as the mechanic didn't want to work on a car that heavily modified and he suspected broken rings from how it was driving. I took the car back to MD to the shop that did the swap for the second time. They took apart the throttle body and cleaned it out in addition to the idle control valve. This made the problem significantly less severe. They said the smoke was probably bad turbo seals but they couldnt tell for sure without taking my turbo apart.

The smoke got to the point where it would come out of the breather on the valve cover at stop lights in addition to the exhaust. The idle/stalling problem started getting worse again so I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. I checked the charge piping for oil after running the car and there wasnt any. In addition, bad turbo seals would not explain oil filled smoke coming from the breather. Next I did a compression check and it turned out the Honda dealership was right. Cylinder 1 was about 80psi lower than the rest. This explained the idle problem in addition to the smoke.

The shop that did the swap is giving my the run around as far as we'll call you back and so on, and they take no responsibility for this. They originally talked me into the boosted swap rather than building the F, claiming it would be more power for the money. They were also very reassuring that it would hold that much power. Unfortunately there is no expressed warranty so I dont know what I can do. It is especially difficult since I am at school 3 hours away from the shop that did all this. I dont know if any legal action is possible. My 3 options as far as the motor are to get a new one altogether, take this one out and have the cylinder wall honed and get new pistons and rings, or to completely build it. I unfortunately dont have money for any of these options. I am very surprised a shop with the kind of reputation and volume of work would do something like this.
Cue lnsyone for the 'I told you so'
take this opportunity to build a better and more powerful setup
Old 10-17-2005, 06:28 AM
B A N N E D

werd
Old 10-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

That absolutely sucks..Take them to small claims court. If you got all the parts and service from them it's their obligation to make sure it works correctly.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:59 AM
B A N N E D

when your working on something like that, its hard to get a warranty modification is the demise of a virgin frowline