A/F Gauge wirring

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Turn Signals are good!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/F Gauge wirring

Which wire do I tap into for the gauge?? I have it hooked up to the white with red stripe... but the gauge does not seem to be doing its job...

If i have the right wire, maybe my sensor is bad.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did you hook it up to the primary O2 sensor or the ecu? I have mine hooked up to the primary O2 sensor and if I remember correctly you have to splice the purple wire off the a/f gauge to the white wire on the O2 sensor.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

that and it only works at wide open throttle also
Old 05-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Why would an a/f gauge only work at WOT? My autometer gauge work all the time. What would be the point of having an a/f gauge that only works at WOT, it would always read rich?
Old 05-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by dcsquirm88
Why would an a/f gauge only work at WOT? My autometer gauge work all the time. What would be the point of having an a/f gauge that only works at WOT, it would always read rich?
that's what i heard from the people at the shop....... maybe they were just stupid......... and me also for listening to them.....

i'm anxiously awaiting my a/f and oil pressure
Old 05-07-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro

hey squirm,

Mine only works at wot. It just does the knight rider effect when ur not wot.

all the autometers do that.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

While in idle the gauge goes back and forth from lean to rich. But if I lower or raise the fuel pressure with my aem fuel pressure regulator or mess with my VAFC you can see the lights change appropriately on the gauge. For example normal idle has the a/f gauge blinking from red to green over and over again. If I drop the fuel pressure to 35 psi you see the gauge now only light up red and orange. So even while in idle the gauge still works. Also if you are at WOT and the gauge is only reading rich (green) and you suddenly let go of the gas the gauge then only reads lean (red).
Old 05-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Turn Signals are good!

mine goes almost totally rich when I stomp on it... then when I let off the throttle it dies way down to lean... and sometimes totally turns off. While cruising it bounces around in the stoichometric area because the computer is always changing the a/f ratio to get better gas mileage and so on. at an idle it goes back and forth pretty much through the whole gauge.

Now my problem is I am getting a lot of feedback in the gauge from other electrical accessories, especially the stereo... it seems the more draw I have from the electrical system, the more feedback I get. During the day, without the stereo on, the gauge shows 2 LED's together displaying the a/f ratio... but if I crank the music, or I have my lights on or something, its more like 5 or more LED's displaying the ratio. I have my gauge hooked up at the ecu... maybe if I run the wire through the firewall to the sensor harness itself would I get rid of the feedback?? Or am I gonna need some shielded wire?? Any help is appretiated, it looks kinda corny with the a/f ratio dancing to the music!!
Old 05-09-2002, 11:06 PM
I scuffed my Puma

How are you guys mounting your new gauges?? Did you get an A-pillar or are you just mounting them by your gauge cluster (is that the autometer mount?)????
Old 05-10-2002, 01:19 AM
Turn Signals are good!

Originally posted by CLBizno
How are you guys mounting your new gauges?? Did you get an A-pillar or are you just mounting them by your gauge cluster (is that the autometer mount?)????
I have the autometer dual pod A-pillar mount... its pretty nice I just dont like how it only comes in black... although it dosent look too bad mounted.

I have to decide where to put 2 more when I get the turbo installed.