Exhausting.... Question!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Acura's All Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhausting.... Question!!

Okay guys, got some more questions for you, as I have said before Im only 19, Im learning! So, I recently put her in the shop to simply get Timing belts done and a tune up, think I have told everyone that before, they supposably replaced the right front upper control arm, did an all wheel ailignment, replaced the water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, wires, 2 motor mounts, replaced egr valve, and a macpherson strut! After taking the car back several times because it was "jumping" he finally listened to what I suggested initially and replaced the egr valve which fixed the issue! But the car is recently hesitant, when running the a/c its like im driving a four cylinder, and the car is jumpy, it surges in power! It surges somtimes even when the ac isnt on, however the rpm guage doesnt move! When going through a right curve it does it something terrible! My stepdad believes its the tie rod end and thinks what I describe as a "surge or jump, is the car actually vibrating from a faulty tie rod end", could that cause these 'jumping problems' im feeling? Im almost to the point of just saying fuck it and putting a 4 sale sign on it! I love my car, but I like my money too! Any help would be appreciated as I cannot deal with this anymore, Im tired of feeling like im driving over a railroad track constantly, shes going back in the shop but Id rather take her in knowing what to replace, versus paying someone to do a trial and error as that is what always happens with this car! As far as interior goes, Im hunting a new "tan" steering wheel, and airbag cover, if anyone knows where I could find them for less than 600, as most are on ebay, that would be great!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,418 Likes on 3,027 Posts
do the rpm's jump around at all?

Also, I have a 97 airbag for sale, but it's grey you would have to paint it.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 AM
10th Gear

My 97 drives like a 4 bangger too.lol. real bad when the a/c is on. Ive always wanted to get a high output alternater and a good battery to see if that would slove it... but those alternators cost an arm and a leg.

As for your turning right dilema... try a diffrent mechanic or cral under your car. check everything out for tightness and look at the rubber/poly bushings if their torn or cracked, replace them. try that. i had problems with mine and so i got poly sway bar end links and the greaseable poly mouts as well. after that my cornering was pristine

Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a 3.0 (and since you are referring to the 4 cylinder the way you both are I am guessing that is what both of you have as well) and I can hardly tell a difference when I turn my air conditioner on so I am not sure that a upgraded alt would do anything to fix your problem. The AC will definitely put more strain on the engine and if it has an vacuum leak or some other leaks around the intake seals it could cause this major loss of power and could also cause the revving up and down but the RPM gauge not moving would be my concern with this because any engine variations should make the RPM gauge do the same thing the engine is experiencing
Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by 97cyclone3.0CL
My 97 drives like a 4 bangger too.lol. real bad when the a/c is on. Ive always wanted to get a high output alternater and a good battery to see if that would slove it... but those alternators cost an arm and a leg.

As for your turning right dilema... try a diffrent mechanic or cral under your car. check everything out for tightness and look at the rubber/poly bushings if their torn or cracked, replace them. try that. i had problems with mine and so i got poly sway bar end links and the greaseable poly mouts as well. after that my cornering was pristine

Good battery and a new alternator help, I have a new one, not a high output, I have been putting off adding a high output one, but I did the big 3 wire upgrade to 4 guage, and the ground wires all replaced with 4 guage, with an optima yellowtop, and I have little to no hesitation with the AC on

And to the polyurethayne bushings, I replaced all mine with PU and it feels brand new
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Im in nc to live about 50 mins away. Have a gray wheel and air bag cover(parting a complete car) also. As for your problems maybe bad gas this time around?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Acura's All Day

Sorry guys Ive been extremely busy the past few days, I just had the oil change done the day before yesterday at Flow delearship, they checked everything and said it seemed fine! I dont know! But to answer questions, my rpm guage doesnt move at all, I know its unsafe, but I got some speed up, and cutt the car off in nuetral, still does the jittery stuff even when engine isnt on, so I am assuming its something either in suspension or as my stepfather said "Tie Rod End"! As far as alternator goes, my mom was the 1st owner of this vehicle,she had problems out of alternators, and in the 3 years Ive owned it, Ive replaced it twice myself! However when driving sometimes the battery light will flash on and off, but if I cutt the headlights on it never does it, as Im guessing maybe the alternator isnt putting out enough? So I guess it could cause it! With work and school, I dont have the time I wish I did! But last question, anyone ever ran true dual exhaust, Im looking into getting the exhaust stipped off the 99 I bought and put on mine, also anyone do a diy on taking out the dashboard or headliner? And has anyone else ever experienced a very annoying rattle behind their glove box? Its driving me insane.

97BlackAckCl, I appreciate offer on airbag, but my plan is to remove the ones that are in the one I drive and switch them, thanks though, and if not I found some somewhat affordable on Ebay.

on1wheel01, I have always got gas at one place, and the vehicle does this all the time, also I run seafoam through it every 2 fill ups, and I only use 93 octane! As for parts, I wouldnt be interested only because I wouldnt wanna paint them, but I appreciate it, my mom is wanting some bose speakers though to put in her 330Ci, she hates the system in it, if you have those I might be interested pending on what she says!

Everyone, thanks for reading, I need all the help I can get!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
seafoam every 2 fill-ups? you don't need to do it that much.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Acura's All Day

I know but it has helped clear my egr valve in the past, and I like to insure theres no build up in car, because I have had to get ports of carbon cleaned and shaved several times, dont wanna have to do it again!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

dude, that much seafoam will eventually eat your seals and gaskets
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Acura's All Day

how often do you all put fuel injector cleaner/seafoam etc in yours? If thats the case I may just do it every so many months or so! lol! Hopefully I havent f'd anything up thus far! Off topic, but I am getting new rims "yay"! Back on topic though... anyone ever ran true dual exhaust, Im looking into getting the exhaust stipped off the 99 I bought and put on mine? also anyone do a diy on taking out the dashboard or headliner? And has anyone else ever experienced a very annoying rattle behind their glove box and rattle in their cluster "gauges"? Its driving me insane