engine light solution!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 10:40 AM
i like chicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine light solution!!!!

if you remember i had an engine light problem before. anyway i took it to the dealer and this is what happened:

when the first gen cl's engine light comes on it has to do with the fuel system and the intake functions on the car. the egr valve and intake is usually the problem, and since it was under warranty, they put on a new intake or something (i was not paying attention since i didnt have to pay for it) that flows the air a little better. i am still waiting for the valve to come in it is on back order. also a good thing to do when this happens is to replace the fuel filter and replace the tranny fluid, which will run you about $100, but that really isnt all that bad of a price.

i just thought i would let you guys know so you have an idea if it happens to you, and i recommend you get it checked at a dealer instead of reseting your battery.

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0
17" Niche Shoks (Nitto Rubber)
APC Super Blue Beams
StreetGlow Blue Head Strobes
Clear Corners
APC White Gauges
All Platinum Tint
work in progress...
Old 04-02-2001, 11:47 AM
Racer

Had similar problem. Intake manifold and something else was changed (was not paying attention as well, warrenty.. ). They told me, it happens on all old CLs due to fuel in your state, and does not matter what grade. I use Mobil 93. It's something that state requires to add in fuel by the law.

After repairs, couple days later all other lights started to show up: SRS, Battery.

Repairs would have cost me arounf $1500. But I had to pay nothing.

------------------
Black '97 Acura 3.0CL Premium (Leather,WoodTrim,SunRoof Visor,Spoiler,Gold,Fogs)
Old 04-02-2001, 08:45 PM
i like chicken

yeah, me too, they replaced my intake manifold with a new one that i guess gets better flow to the engine. i guess it is like a recall situation but they arent recalling them publicly, they just tell you about it when the engine light comes on!?!? who knows, but it is fixed.

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0
17" Niche Shoks (Nitto Rubber)
APC Super Blue Beams
StreetGlow Blue Head Strobes
Clear Corners
APC White Gauges
All Platinum Tint
work in progress...
Old 04-05-2001, 01:03 AM
Drifting

I had that same problem with my car.... I took it in, they said they needed to order valve but it was on backorder......then a week later the engine light came on followed by by SRS lights two days later.....I first thought it was just my car doin that and i was getting pissed....But my question for everyone in the same boat is do you feel ur car performing any different when driving with the diff. lights on.cuz my car kinda feels like shit.....also whats everyones opinion one fuel system cleaners? Do u guys use it? does it work? cuz i think my car needs it but wants a second opinion ......sorry this is so long...thanks everyone

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 11:44 AM
Racer

Never used fuel cleaners in this car. I use Mobil 93 for fuel.

I did use fuel cleaner in my old Corsica. It seemed to add some octane numbers after U put it in.

------------------
Black '97 Acura 3.0CL Premium (Leather,WoodTrim,SunRoof Visor,Spoiler,Gold,Fogs,Clear Bumper Lights,Gold/Wood Pedals)
Old 04-05-2001, 01:53 PM
Racer

my check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago, but i just disconnected the battery and the light went away for about ten days. now it's back on, but i dont' feel any difference in the performance. unlike you guys, my car isn't under warranty anymore, so i don't want to bring it in and pay $1500. what do yall think about the philosophy of if it is running like it should then there probably isn't a problem worth going to pay that much money to fix??? any opinions or suggestions would be great. thanks

------------------
'97 red CL 3.0
nose mask
venom 400
cai is next!
Old 04-05-2001, 04:13 PM
Drifting

hey REDCL I bought my car at a Honda car lot w/no warranty, and when the light came on I called 2 diffrent Acura dealers.....they both told me to bring it in for a test for no charge since all 1st gen CL's were under some kinda warranty for like 14 years/140,000 miles(guessing forgot what they told me)They found out that the EGR valve are bad and are currently on Nation wide back order. So u should do the same and see what they tell u.......It's worth a try and let me know what they say......

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 04:58 PM
Racer

alright, i'll probably go the beginning of next week. i'll let you know. thanks

------------------
'97 red CL 3.0
nose mask
venom 400
cai is next!