clear lenses legal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 10:23 PM
CLanty-eyed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clear lenses legal?

i just got my clear bumper lenses a few days ago...but the sticker on the box says theyre not dot legal. anyone get in trouble with the law with this?? i dont want any fix-it tickets or whatever. would putting in orange bulbs make it legal?
Old 12-16-2001, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Depends on your local laws. You can always put amber bulbs in and you won't have any problems. I've had mine for about 6 months with no problems at all.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:50 PM

I have had mine almost a year, no problems, the bulb in there is pretty yellow/orange to begin with.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i left the signal bulb the regular clear color and it's preety yellow compared with the rest of them. i have gotten anway with it so far. knock on wood.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:12 AM
Burning Brakes

here in TEXAS the book says signals can have a white to amber color. NO red. So mine is legal for all i know. But there are so many clear signals out there i dont think they will care
Old 12-17-2001, 08:58 AM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

I agree with ilike2cheez that there are so many out there now that it probably won't get noticed unless you stick a red or purple bulb in there I haven't had any problems with my yellow bulbs.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:31 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
I have had clears for over a year on this car and never had a problem but i have amber bulbs in there. I'm pretty sure they are illegal because they dont have an amber reflector. Actually i dont think they have any reflector at all. The Integra ones i modified awhile back atleast had a clear reflector. The amber bulbs kinda look like a reflector in the housing close up though.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:17 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have my clears for about two years now. Use integ. one before i got the real deal. I had super whites and had no problem, unitl this stupid cop, which was kickin it with his other friend cop at Home Depot saw me turn in, and just pointed at me, tellin me to park next to him. He let me go, but after that I just put in YELLOW ones, it looks tight. I like yellow more. I live in CA. Just depends where u live
Old 12-17-2001, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Ive had my clears for a year now...and i have hyper white bulbs in....and i havent had a problem yet!!
Old 12-17-2001, 04:13 PM
Midnight Marauder

It depends on where you live only to the effect that the cops may or may not be looking to bust people.

My understanding is that the clears are technically illegal because it does not have a yellow reflective area on it for the side. You see that the stock has a reflective patch on the sides. When you change them to clears there is no light reflector (even if you have yellow or amber bulbs.

The bulbs don't make them illegal but the absence of an amber reflector on the side of your car does.

I got the yellow bulbs because they look good and when they are on it is hard for most cops to tell if you don't have the "reflector" so that it is just a little less "look at me!" than the superwhites wich are a dead giveaway. If you had superwhites and stuck an amber reflector onto the side of your car you'd be cool.

So basically, get some yellows and say "screw 'em"!!
:pfawk:
They are not as smart as they think they are...
Old 12-17-2001, 04:42 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: clear lenses legal?

Originally posted by x3nsaZnCL
i just got my clear bumper lenses a few days ago...but the sticker on the box says theyre not dot legal. anyone get in trouble with the law with this?? i dont want any fix-it tickets or whatever. would putting in orange bulbs make it legal?
Hell, all of my bulbs are illegal here in MD (soon to have my clears put on this weekend). So far, I haven't gotten busted, but I've kept all of my stock bulbs/lenses just in case!
Old 12-17-2001, 05:19 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

same story here.. i have had mine for about a year... with PIAA platinum bulbs.. no probs ever! they bust balls in NY for altezza lights with hyper white bulbs.... not clear from bumper/turn sigs
Old 12-17-2001, 05:26 PM
K-State Wildcat

Here is the end all answer on the legality of clear corners, bulb color, ect. You ready???
These are the laws for the State of Kansas. I would imagine that they are similar in different states as well.

Lenses:
The lack of an orange reflector has no bearing on the legality of the lens. To illistrate this point, look at a 97 one piece corner/blinker light for a civic. There is no colored reflector in there at all, the bulb makes the color. Many cars and trucks already come with clear housings, just a colored bulb. Our car is the exception, not the rule. That's why the bulb is without color.

Bulbs:
Here is where the change in state laws might matter, or not.
Front: White or amber in color, or anything in between.
Rear: Red or amber in color, or anything in between.
The spirit of these laws is intended to prevent confusion between the back and front of a car based on its lights. They figure that white turn signals in the rear will get it confused with the front. Vise versa for the red in front. Stupid but really the reason.
You can get away with hyperwhite front blinkers, but not the really blue onesm, (that look stupid anyway). Polarg makes some that match hyperwhite headlights well for around $20 a pair. I have those, and love them. I am also a distributer for SPW, the marketer for Polarg.

Cops are stupid and look for reasons to pull you over. Sometimes they use this as one. I have been pulled over twice for having these bulbs, and politely disagreed with the cop. I explained what the law stated and how hyper"white" blinkers were compliant. Both times the cop looked up the law in the book, and agreed with me. I even handed out my card to one of them and she bought a spoiler for her Accord from me!!!

So its up to you. Like I said cops are stupid and look for reasons to pull you over, so if that bothers you, go with amber. Otherwise put the clean hyperwhites in and show the cops whats up if you do get pulled over. You look pretty smart when you know the law better than the police.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:29 PM
K-State Wildcat

P.S. this might be a good topic for the F.A.Q. I have answered this 2 or 3 times in about 3 weeks.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:30 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

I can agree with that.. as long as you dont use emegency colors like with neon lights etc.. you should be ok!
Old 12-17-2001, 06:04 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally posted by Acurate
Lenses:
The lack of an orange reflector has no bearing on the legality of the lens. To illistrate this point, look at a 97 one piece corner/blinker light for a civic. There is no colored reflector in there at all, the bulb makes the color. Many cars and trucks already come with clear housings, just a colored bulb. Our car is the exception, not the rule. That's why the bulb is without color.

Umm the Civic has alittle amber reflector inside the housing. It is kinda hard to see during the day but it lights up at night when lights hit it. Other cars like some BMWs and the older altimas do have clear corners but if you notice they also have an orange reflector on the corner of the bumper under the clear corner lens. My moms infiniti has a clear corner but it also has the orange reflector on the side of the car in front of the front tires.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:14 PM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In a issue of Superstreet, here is what they said about the lenses. (This is California)

25950A V.C. refers to the headlights which must be amber or white. Your turn signals can also be amber or white.

They were complaining more about altezza's and clear tailights.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:34 PM
K-State Wildcat

The '00 and up Civics have the crystal clear housings with the little orange reflector on the inside. The gen befor that had the non crystal clear housings that were simply clear with a orange bulb. Nissan Altimas, have purly clear blinker and side marker housings. I know this because I have done blinker installations on both cars and saw it for myself.

The reason altezza tails with white blinkers are an issue is because they are on the rear of the vehicle, and have to be red or amber, not white, as stated earlier.

I am absolutly sure that what I am saying is correct on both points.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by OnCeASaiNt
Ive had my clears for a year now...and i have hyper white bulbs in....and i havent had a problem yet!!
where did u get YELLOW ones. I seen them before looks good!! i always wanted them but cant find them . all i can find is clear and amber i want YELLOW yellow like the color of fog lights.
Old 12-18-2001, 12:45 AM
CLanty-eyed

thanx guys, put them in, bought some orange bulbs, look pretty tite. Sure look hella better than orange lenses I talked to a traffic official and he said that orange bulbs inside a clear lense are ok...hopefully that wasnt a good excuse for him to bust my ass later
Old 12-18-2001, 07:44 AM
Midnight Marauder

You can get some nice yellow turn signal lights at autodynamic.com

I think it is 1147 designation, can't remember though. (single filament wedge type)
Old 12-18-2001, 09:43 AM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

Yes, Autodynamic.com. Got my clears & yellow bulbs there, good/fast service. These are what I have; #7440 Lrg. Push-ins for the turn sigs. #194/168 Small Push-ins for the parking lights. BEWARE, my manual says the wrong size & type for my turn sigs. Check your bulb size before you order. Good luck, you'll enjoy the look