CL Retrofitters....do TL bixenon projectors fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:38 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
CL Retrofitters....do TL bixenon projectors fit?

I'm not new to the retrofit game and have done two on my 4th gen accord in jdm stanley 1 piece housings with tsx projectors. Through a search, I came accross a thread in which someone on here had s2k projectors successfully retrofitted into their CL housings. That is awesome news, as 3" lense'd projectors are pretty much a no-go in the 4th gen accord scene.

However, I'm really really set on trying out TL bixenons w/super clear lense swap (absolutely insane razor cutoff/color)....but I was wondering if any of you retrofitters knew for sure if the large TL projector housings would fit into our 1st gen CL housings? My search did not yield any first-hand experiences with TL projectors...and I do not want to go out and spend nearly 500 for something that I might not be able to use. If they don't fit, I think I'll go the s2k route, as the tsx has a wide beam but the intensity of the foreground lighting isn't the best.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well the TB bi-zenon projectors are considerably larger than the TSX units, but the actual projector itself cant be that much bigger, id assume just more weight in the back, but in general, the TL setup isnt that popular as a retrofit item, not too many people need bi-zenon setups is the thing, and theyre so expensive compared to TSX projectors and the such
Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
They should fit, the headlights are similar size and design. I'd like to see this done to a CL, if you wanna go simpler, my TSX retro is coming along very well and the TSX proj's fit quite nicely. TL's should fit though, I almost did a s2k set but couldn't find any for a good price. G'luck bro our headlights are deceiving you actually have a lot more room to work with than it looks
Old 07-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
They should fit, the headlights are similar size and design. I'd like to see this done to a CL, if you wanna go simpler, my TSX retro is coming along very well and the TSX proj's fit quite nicely. TL's should fit though, I almost did a s2k set but couldn't find any for a good price. G'luck bro our headlights are deceiving you actually have a lot more room to work with than it looks

Thanks a bunch for the replies guys!! I've already done two tsx retrofits in my 4th gen accord jdm one piece housings, and those were an extremely tight fit! So I was just curious as to exactly how much 'play' we had for these CL headlights. The reason I want to go TL w/lense swap is not necessarily for the bi-xenon feature, but because it is probably the best low-beam output projector on the market, when coupled with a totally clear lense. Not only one of the widest beams you can get, but the foreground lighting is incredible. It's literally like 2x the foreground intensity of the tsx's even with stock lenses. Those who have driven right next to one can attest.

I think I'll go ahead with this project, and I will keep you all updated on the progress!!

Are the CL's headlights glass or plastic? Either way, some or a lot of the sharpness and color at the cutoff will be killed, but I'm just hoping not too much...
Old 07-01-2007, 12:53 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i wish you luck my friend.

headlights = headache

glad i got mine finished and on the car without trouble.

also have fun getting the bumper to sit perfectly when you put it back on
Old 07-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I'd love to see the TL's done if you can pull it off. They're plastic headlights, and the chrome reflectors are plastic which makes them easy to cut and easy to mount to.

After reading this thread I checked out a couple sets of later TL projector headlights and I think you'll def get them to fit, however like most retros you're gonna have to figure out a shroud to go around and cover up the part of the reflector you don't wanna see, since the TL's are smaller you'll have plenty of room to fit something in there. I had to customize my shrouds, now I just have to paint them
Old 07-01-2007, 04:57 PM
say: zouts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplyricist1
Thanks a bunch for the replies guys!! I've already done two tsx retrofits in my 4th gen accord jdm one piece housings, and those were an extremely tight fit! So I was just curious as to exactly how much 'play' we had for these CL headlights. The reason I want to go TL w/lense swap is not necessarily for the bi-xenon feature, but because it is probably the best low-beam output projector on the market, when coupled with a totally clear lense. Not only one of the widest beams you can get, but the foreground lighting is incredible. It's literally like 2x the foreground intensity of the tsx's even with stock lenses. Those who have driven right next to one can attest.

I think I'll go ahead with this project, and I will keep you all updated on the progress!!

Are the CL's headlights glass or plastic? Either way, some or a lot of the sharpness and color at the cutoff will be killed, but I'm just hoping not too much...
what about fx35/45?

CL headlights are all plastic
Old 07-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by zhouz
what about fx35/45?

CL headlights are all plastic
I've already tried FX bixenon projectors and they're too big, they won't fit right, I tried A6 projs and FX's before settling on the TSX projectors because they're a much better fit in the headlight housing.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

I've already tried FX bixenon projectors and they're too big, they won't fit right, I tried A6 projs and FX's before settling on the TSX projectors because they're a much better fit in the headlight housing.

Thanks for the info. Uh oh. I think that means that the TL's would be out of the question, as they're similar in size to the FX's. It's just that darn reflector housing under the projector that make them so hard to mount in anything honda except for those huge EK headlights. Seems like the S2k's are about as big of a 3" projector as we're gonna get. I might just go with those then...
Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 AM
~[τΏτ]~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which A6 projs did you use? Pre-2002?

Originally Posted by fliplyricist1
The reason I want to go TL w/lens swap is not necessarily for the bi-xenon feature, but because it is probably the best low-beam output projector on the market, when coupled with a totally clear lens.

The TL height (95.95mm) isn't too bad, compared to the TSX (85.30mm). But that solenoid seems like murder bring the dimensions up to 117.15mm. I'm looking into doing the same setup, except w/o the clear lens . Building a home theater gotta save money somewhere. Let us know how it turns out. Take some pics while you are at it. Good luck!