Check Engine light questions ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 09:42 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine light questions ....

Hey guys,

Another CL question:
I will have the 97 CL 3.0 2 weeks tomorrow. The day after I got it I went in to Acura to have them pull the radio to get the serial number to activate it with the code.
Literally on my way there ( it’s 3-4 miles ) the yellow “Check Engine” light came on.
By the time I had gotten there it went off.

The tech at Acura told me that it is Emission related, it will not in any way affect the performance of the car ( as in it’s not an indicator that it is about to leave you stranded on the side of the road ) and that they can run diagnostics on it.
Also, they said that there is like some 14 year warranty on the Emission system or something to that effect, so it won’t cost me.
But I will have to wait 2 hours to have it done.

It’s Sunday night and this afternoon when I got in it the “Check Engine” Light came on again but this time it has stayed on. I’ve started and stopped it 3-4 times and driven maybe 10-15 miles.
There is no way I can go sit at Acura for 2+ hours till Friday at the earliest.
I love this car and really want to keep from “f”-ing it up, especially after only 2 weeks.
I still need to order the owners manual but from your ‘collective’ experience is this as the guy at Acura says ‘nothing to be concerned’ about, or is this something that I need to be up bright and early and sitting in the parking lot of Acura when they open the doors for business tomorrow morning …..?
Thanks in advance guys for all the help so far….

reb0101
Old 01-27-2002, 10:00 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

well, if your check engine light is on... the dealer told you right.. its emissions related... we have a recall on a valve that has malfunctioned and the engine light is the only indicator of its failure.. bring it in.. its under an extended warranty by ACURA... I believe its the ERG valve... dont hesitate on getting it fixed!
Old 01-28-2002, 05:15 AM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

There is a way to find out what chech engine light your getting. PM me or do a search, i've posted it before.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Daaaamn Gina

when i was on the test drive for my car the check engine light went on, so i'm like uhhh what the hell is this and the salesman is trying to tell me it's nothing and that there are no recalls blah blah blah. so when i got back to the dealership i spoke with the service manager and he told me that there was a recalled part and there was carbon build up in the throttle or something like that. so they just fixed it that night. you have the same car as i do, so i would imagine that it's something similar.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:07 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently had my car taken in because the Check Engine light was on. My friend's dad is a mech. for honda. He told me that sometimes the throttle body sensor gets dirty and needs to be cleaned. He took it in and cleaned it for me and the light hasn't come on since.!
Old 01-29-2002, 02:55 AM
8th Gear

ya nailed it Casper

it was the ERG valve or whatever the hell it was.
I actually printed out your reply so I would not seem like the complete Village idiot but I was close, probably the Village embecile.
Anyway, it was the ERG and they did have a recall. But it seems that the part, or 'kit' as they called it is on major backorder as there is a nationwide shortage.
They told me to call back every 30 days and they will tell me when they have it in.
They cleaned out something or another and the check engine light went off.

Here's the kicker:
When I first went to look at a CL I saw an ad for, it was at this same Acura Dealer. The one they had was nice, but not the color I wanted and and too much $$.

3+ weeks go by and I get the one I have at another dealer. Then as I was waiting for them to pull the car in, here is the salesman that I first saw way the hell back when. He looked at my car and said "hey, looks like you found one". He then pointed to a White 99 and said he was going to call me on it. It had almost 99K miles on it ( my 97 has 53K ).
About an hour later they were bringing the one with 99K in the service area and were kidding about it having a 'reverse audible indicator'.

This CL was so screwed up when you put it in reverse it screeched as it rolled back ....and this was at a damn Acura Dealer ! .....I got mine at a Ford Dealer ....
thanks again guys. I finally figured out my digital camera so I'll post some pics soon ...

reb0101
Old 02-02-2002, 01:01 AM
Cruisin'

My check engine light is on 24-7 ever since i took off the cat. does anyone know how to take that off?
Old 02-02-2002, 04:57 AM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

I tell you how on my site