Anyone know how I can set up my amps like this? *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003 | 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Anyone know how I can set up my amps like this? *pic*

Hey everyone, my box for my subs should be comming soon so I need to relocate my amp. The amp for the subs is comming soon as well so Im going to have two amps and i want to set them up like this...

But i dont know what/where I can drill into for the screws, because all there is the carpet, nothing to attach the amp into. How do I go about doing this?
Old 02-01-2003 | 05:46 PM
kept the beast

i just mounted mine and screwed them in no problem itshould be a piece of cake
Old 02-01-2003 | 06:11 PM
Still trolling

THere is metal behind there. But don't do it that way. Get a sheet of 1/2" MDF and measure and cut it to match the rear of the trunk allowing for the trap door

Mount your amps, distribution, etc however you want. Then (here is the clean part) drill holes 1 1/2" off each terminal on the amp big enough for that specific wire to go through. Remove the amps, then carpet or vinyl it (whatever floats your boat). Cut the carpet or vinyl where the holes are. Put a plastic gromet in the hole for a clean look (paint them too if you want). Remount the amps. Run your wires through the grometed holes, terminate them with nice gold plated/booted terminal connectors. Get your wires routed fromthe trunk to were they need to go (at least get them started) with the amp rack sitting as close to the back of the trunk where it will be mounted as possible). Then lift your rack into place and screw it up using 6 screws (4 corners and 2 in the middle top and bottom). Local audio places have screw caps (so do some hardware stores) that you screw through and can snap a lid over the top for a clean look.

Another option is to screw it up from the back side behind the back seat. This hides the screws all together, just make sure your screws are long enough, but not too long. Either way, make sure where you are screwing is going to hit the metal sectiosn between the rear seat and the trunk (it's not a solid wall).
Old 02-01-2003 | 07:04 PM
Instructor

Here is mine with a jl sub in a jl bandpass behind the amp rack.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/edoubleev...c=ph%26.view=t
Old 02-01-2003 | 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

i have mine mounted EXACTLY like that except i have the capacitor in the middle but its still the same. WHat i did was i took a thin piece of MDF wood and wrapped it in carpet to match the interior and then screwed the wood piece to the back seat. The top and bottom of the seats should have metal. I did 2 panels( one for each seat) Then i mounted the amps on that. Ill try to take pics in the morning.
Old 02-01-2003 | 07:22 PM
easyriden in a cl

I just put my amps in the wheel well!!! Out with the spare and in with the amps. Put plexiglass over the amps with blue neon lights. Looks Good!!
Old 02-01-2003 | 07:29 PM
Racer

hey acura powered do you have any pics of your amp setup in the wheelwell? That sounds really nice I think I might copy your setup :P
Old 02-01-2003 | 08:53 PM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Even though there is metal behind the carpet, it isn't flat. It is hard trying to find the spots where you can get the amp secured.

I would like to know how those amps are mounted as well. I wouldn't count on screws in the carpet hold up the amps.

I would go with the mdf board if you want the amps there. You should be able to secure that first, then the amps to the board.
Old 02-01-2003 | 10:26 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

i skrewed my amps in the trunk right there you need self tapping metal skrews to do it and a high output skrewdriver like a 12volt or higher or you wont be able to skrew them in trust me. the skinny metal in the back is hard to skrew but you can do it, me and my pops re did mine last weekend and its tough getting back their since our fucking seats dont fold down and i dont know why they dont they should be able but oh well. the right side is the best place for a amp you can get a good hold of it back there and there are flat spots to skrew it into but you need to pull back the carpet first and look to see where the spots are. if you want pm and i can take some pics of where mine is at so it can help you a little and how i have mine. hope this helps
Old 02-02-2003 | 02:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ilike2cheez
i have mine mounted EXACTLY like that except i have the capacitor in the middle but its still the same. WHat i did was i took a thin piece of MDF wood and wrapped it in carpet to match the interior and then screwed the wood piece to the back seat. The top and bottom of the seats should have metal. I did 2 panels( one for each seat) Then i mounted the amps on that. Ill try to take pics in the morning.
When you screwed the wood to the seat, ddi you screw it to metal? or what? what kinda screws do i need? and yea, any pics or your guy's setup would be cool
Old 02-02-2003 | 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

i screwed it to metal using metal tapping screws and a powerdrill.
Old 02-02-2003 | 02:29 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Any pics would be great because i currently have a 10 and an amp mounted in a wall type thing (all you see is the face of the sub and amp mounted in a carpeted wall) but im tired of it. I was thinking of mounting my sub above the spare so it faces up and thru the floor and mount the amp in the side of the trunk. The only thing is, I'm wondering what my sub (10 infinity kappa) will sound like in a free air application. It says it can go free air but im wondering if it will sound nearly as good as it does in my small sealed box i have now. Any idea?
Old 02-02-2003 | 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

What length should i get the tapping screws in?
Old 02-02-2003 | 03:35 PM
Racer

I mounted mine similar to that, and yes it is a bitch to mount do to the many different shapes of the metal behind the back seat. However, a little ingenuity or just a piece of MDF will work great. Here you can see, I took out the rear seat to see what I was drilling in to...

However, the finished product was not that bad. I wanted to be able to access my amp controls from the back seat as opposed to taking the subs out everytime and climbing in the trunk....

I still have to agree with most the other guys, get some MDF. It will save you headaches.
Old 02-02-2003 | 07:15 PM
easyriden in a cl

Acura-c how did you get your back seat out. I tried but couldn't find out how? got the seat part out but couldn't get the back rest.
Old 02-02-2003 | 10:48 PM
Racer

You will have to remove those 4 bolts I circled in the photo. Then lift the back of the seat upward and it should pop right out.

If you do a search on the forum I believe there is a more detailed description of how to do this. Good Luck!!