Alignment and Camber kit install nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:52 PM
AWD Torque Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment and Camber kit install nightmare

The title says it all. Finally decided to get my car aligned after dropping it like a year ago. im startin to wear my winter rubber on the inside. anyways it turned into an all day job.

First problem is im so low that i had to take the damn bumper off just to get on the f'n machine.

2nd problem was that the damn upper control arm mounts are hidden under the main fuse box on the passenger side and i had to remove all that.

3rd problem the damn lasers cant see each other cuz the car is too low. now way to adj caster or toe.

4th problem was after everything was together we realized that the one side needed to be taken out again and ofcourse it was the one under all the elctrical stuff. the reason it had t ocome out ws becuase the holes for the adj were complete opposites and were no where close to being about the same position.

5th problem happens on the way home. every decent size bump the control arm smashes into the fender. so i had to jack the car up, take the tires off, cut some of the fender lining, and grinded about 1/8" off the edge of the control arms.

Car seems to be fine now, except i have a feeling the bearings might be going on the drivers side.

the rear bolt and washer trick worked like a charm and was too easy.

droppin my cl has to be the best and worst thing i ever did to it.

peace

on a good note there's a totaled 98 cl at the shop so i can swap my console, tails, and hopefully the airbag didnt go off so i can steal that too and get a mdx or new cl wheel.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn dude, thats' gotta suck, but why did you wait a damn year to do that? Couldn't you have just adjusted the camber kits to raise the car a little bit? or am I on crack? how low did you drop it?
Old 06-03-2004, 10:40 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

youre on crack...camber kit doesnt adj ride height...... it adjusts........and dont be alarmed....camber!!! YES MY FRIEND, IT ADJUSTS CAMBER!
Old 06-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Your car is really that low? My friends cl is slammed lower then my sportline's hes like 3" dropped and he got is camber/alignment fine. Did they use wood planks under the front tires?

Which camber kit did you get? It sounds like Ingalls?

5th problem happens on the way home. every decent size bump the control arm smashes into the fender. so i had to jack the car up, take the tires off, cut some of the fender lining, and grinded about 1/8" off the edge of the control arms.
Same shit happened to me scared the hell out of me...I was driving home and all the sudden I hit a tiny little bump and BOOM BOOM. I was like ohh shit. Had to cut off some fender and control arm also...It still happens on severe bumps ex. rail road tracks. I got the ingalls kit.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:45 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by r0dxx
Your car is really that low? My friends cl is slammed lower then my sportline's hes like 3" dropped and he got is camber/alignment fine. Did they use wood planks under the front tires?

Which camber kit did you get? It sounds like Ingalls?

Same shit happened to me scared the hell out of me...I was driving home and all the sudden I hit a tiny little bump and BOOM BOOM. I was like ohh shit. Had to cut off some fender and control arm also...It still happens on severe bumps ex. rail road tracks. I got the ingalls kit.

he got his fine? My shit was off over 3 degrees. That's why I went the bent control arm route. Cause then the biggest kits only went to like 1.5 degrees
Old 06-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, haha, didn't bother looking up camber until now.. it allfalls into place now.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CLpower
he got his fine? My shit was off over 3 degrees. That's why I went the bent control arm route. Cause then the biggest kits only went to like 1.5 degrees
The biggest kits go to 3 degrees. But 3 degrees is the MAX setting soo that's why i had soo many problems and also other people because at the MAX setting it extends the control arm sooo far out. I hear all kinds of clunking when im driving. whatever
Old 06-04-2004, 09:13 AM
AWD Torque Monster

I have the eibach kit. im dropped about 2.25" in the front. it moves the control arm outward and allows for 1.5 degree of adj which was perfect cuz im no within specs. i was at -1.9 degrees and now im at -.6 and -.5 in the front