'97 CL-3.0 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:24 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 CL-3.0 Transmission

I just recently purchased a '97 CL-3.0 with automatic transmission. I have noticed that when the car changes from first gear to second gear, it has a hard jerk. Almost like it is waiting to long to change gears.

Does anyone know if there is some type of sensor that allows smooth gear changing or any advise on what I need to do.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just start saving for a new tranny
Old 05-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Advanced

when i first got my 3.0 i thought there was something wrong with my tranny also so i started doing some research and found that the 3.0 was reviewed by car and driver and they said the tranny feels like its searchig for gears. thats how my car functions sometime when its down shifting al low speeds. if thats what your feeling then its normal
Old 05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
wjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by hudsonjt
I just recently purchased a '97 CL-3.0 with automatic transmission. I have noticed that when the car changes from first gear to second gear, it has a hard jerk. Almost like it is waiting to long to change gears.

Does anyone know if there is some type of sensor that allows smooth gear changing or any advise on what I need to do.

Thanks
VERY, VERY few '97 to '99 CL's will ever need a new transmission. However, Honda transmissions are notorious for being abrupt, partly because they did not program momentary cylinder cut-off at the moment of the shift (as many other manufacturers have done). Also, if you drive your car very hard, then your transmission will not have the life it might otherwise have.

Does the transmission bang into 2nd or is it just a quick, tight, abrupt "shudder". A hard bang isn't normal, but an abrupt movement is very normal. Does the shift vary a bit when driving very slowly or very fast? Note that when the car is cold it's designed to shift at higher RPM's than when it's warmed up.

Is your car due for a standard maintenance? Perhaps a transmission fluid change by a dealer is due... Obviously it's hard to get a sense of your transmission via typed description... Does anyone in your area have a '97-'99 CL with the same size engine? Or even a '97-'99 Accord with auto? You could compare your with theirs.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

first off the 97 accord had a totally different transmission and engine. the 99 accord will only work if u reinstall your old end cap. and his tranny is dying... id say 1/2 to 3/4 of the people with 3.0's on this board have had thier tranny replaced atleast once. even twice within the same year. there is a difference between the 97 cl 3.0 and 98-99 cl 3.0 transmission. mainly internally, but the 97 has an extra speed sensor. so u cannot use the 97 cl tranny for a 98/99cl.

if u do the tranny fluid change which would be the cheapest route, make sure u use honda atf as dextron is not "self cooling".

usually its the cause of a slow acting sensor that will eventually burn up your clutch packs. start with the pressure control solenoid. u need to ohm it out. then try the lcs... lock up control solenoid. there is also a ohm check u could do..

also got to www.helminc.com and get the supplement for the acura cl 3.0 its only 38$ and it covers everything from seat belts. to transmissin rebuild. will def save u tons of lute. good luck slim..

sorry wj i just dont want anyone to get thier hopes up, about our trannies. cause usually when it starts to show signs of slippage then its time to rebuild. 2200-3000$
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM
wjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by wilp99
first off the 97 accord had a totally different transmission and engine. and his tranny is dying... id say 1/2 to 3/4 of the people with 3.0's on this board have had thier tranny replaced atleast once. even twice within the same year.
sorry wj i just dont want anyone to get thier hopes up, about our trannies. cause usually when it starts to show signs of slippage then its time to rebuild. 2200-3000$
Any transmission that's slipping is in trouble. The fact that the Accord transmission may be entirely different doesn't negate getting a feel for how Honda transmissions often shift. Having driven 4 CL's and an Accord, I felt they all shifted in a very similar fashion.

This guy's description doesn't indicate slipping, but the opposite. The national numbers on '97-'99 CL transmissions point to an extremely low failure rate. Going through more than one transmission in a year, if extrapolated nationally would mean a mandatory massive recall. Consumer reports data on the '97-'99 CL point to reliable transmissions.

Before purchasing my '99 CL I was able to extensively try several other CL's. None were below 95,000 miles, and none had had their transmissions replaced. I also happened to get ahold of the Acura numbers for these years, and the failure rate is around 1%. I also spoke with Acura service managers (none of whom had a car to sell) who all said they rarely dealt with bad '97-'99 transmissions, though they had a different view on some TL's (I forget which year). The point is they were rather forthcoming on the TL's, which they didn't have to be.

While any mechanical device can fail at any time, when a driver goes through a new or remanufactured transmission inside of a year, I've got to wonder how that car is being driven.

Certainly, the '97-'99 CL transmissions aren't perfect. None ever are. But I think it is not accurate to use data from this board as a widespread indicator.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Insert Sarcasm Here

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
based on the number of people with tranny problems on this board alone, including myself, your stats are not right when it comes to the 97-99 CL. Many, many people have had problems with their tranny here.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Im No Superman

when i 1st bought the car i read a consumer report saying the car is "jumpy" changing gears.. thought it was just part of the car.. at 1st i didnt care but i later learned a lotta honda trannys have it.. my gf's 97 accord slips and jumps way worse than mine
Old 05-05-2005, 02:41 PM
wjk
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Smalls
based on the number of people with tranny problems on this board alone, including myself, your stats are not right when it comes to the 97-99 CL. Many, many people have had problems with their tranny here.

I am sure you are right in your last sentence. With respect, I would repeat that it is not accurate to use data from this board as a widespread indicator.

Consider... I have NEVER seen a dropped CL on the road. In fact every one I've looked at in shopping for this car in an area about 50 miles around where I live has been entirely stock. How many stock CL's are there on this board? Two? Three?

In addition, ALL of the previous owners of the CL's I looked at were 40+ years old. What is the average age of posters here? 19? 20?

Certainly, if you read posts here, and used them as a wider indicator, then yes, you'd expect most, if not all, CL's to have major transmission issues. BUT (and this is not a negative) posters here do not reflect the average CL owner. As is true in most cases, most car owners do not frequent websites for their cars. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a much higher percentage of people who have problems with a car will go on line to get info than those who have no issues. In every piece of gear I've owned (electronic/automotive) the websites for all brands always show a large amount of people having problems.

The Nissan Maxima is generally considered bullet-proof. But you'd never know it from their website...

I don't have the numbers on this, but find out how many '97 to '99 CL's were sold, and then compare that figure to the total number of registered people on the 1st Generation site.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:48 PM
wjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by h2o-pr00f
when i 1st bought the car i read a consumer report saying the car is "jumpy" changing gears.. thought it was just part of the car.. at 1st i didnt care but i later learned a lotta honda trannys have it..
It's true. But a lot of Honda have 250,000 miles on them, with the original transmission. It isn't the smoothest transmission, but you don't often see Hondas on the side of the road. A lot of auto dealers like to sell Hondas because the whole drivetrain is considered bullet-proof.

It's funny, I had a Subaru SVX (a great car with notorious transmission problems). The trans in that car is a Nissan made 4EAT. Even though my SVX's transmission was fine, my CL's is MUCH smoother. It's also smoother than the Volvo 960 I was in yesterday, and my daughter's new Focus.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

there is no other transmission in the honda inventory like these. m7za, and b7za... only accord platforms have these. u cannot say they are normal honda trannies when we are the only ones with them... and because a car is dropped doesent mean u ride the car any harder.

09/26/2001 45,950 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Front brakes serviced

12/03/2001 52,315 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Oil changed and filter replaced

01/15/2002 54,269 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

04/16/2002 61,480 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Brake rotors serviced
Front brakes serviced
Wheel rims serviced
Automatic transmission serviced
Brakes inspected

06/18/2002 69,290 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Tires serviced
Tires balanced

07/31/2002 73,790 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

07/31/2002 75,080 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Alternator serviced
Cigarette lighter serviced
Charging system checked

08/02/2002 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Converter serviced
Transmission controls serviced
Transmission serviced

10/07/2002 81,255 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Wiper blades replaced
Preventative maintenance performed

12/12/2002 88,430 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Vehicle towed

12/12/2002 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

12/16/2002 88,500 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

12/17/2002 88,540 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Alternator serviced
Charging system checked

02/03/2003 91,428 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Oil changed and filter replaced

04/16/2003 94,130 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Brake rotors serviced
Rear disc brakes serviced

here is where i bought it.

08/20/2003 98,813 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tampa, FL
Odometer reading reported for title
or registration

08/29/2003 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tampa, FL
Title #0076616659
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported

12/16/2003 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tampa, FL
Title #0076616659
Registration issued or renewed
Registered as
personal vehicle
Vehicle color noted as Black

12/14/2004 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tampa, FL
Title #0076616659
Registration issued or renewed
Registered as
personal vehicle
Vehicle color noted as Black

as you can see my car has been in before i owned it. tranny .. another one... so the one i rebuilt was #3 at 100k miles. 2 trannies were when a 48year old woman leased it. u think she was racin. doubt it. our cars have tranny problems.

everything on our trannies are controlled by a solenoid. or pressure switch. theres very little mechanical parts inside the tranny.. clutch packs(planetairy) gears, spindles, servo's, a pump, housing. and 4 check balls. the rest is all electronic. not too many other cars have as much electronic controlls., besides the tiptronic ones, which is mostly solenoid controled..

and the 1% failure rate is based on total failure. it doesent include the trannies that were replaced because of a faulty pressure control solenoid, or pressure switch. all acura does when there is an obvious transmission problem is replace it. so actual dead on the side of the road failure yea maybee 1%. but actual problems. atleast 50%
Old 05-05-2005, 10:21 PM
wjk
Instructor

so actual dead on the side of the road failure yea maybee 1%. but actual problems. atleast 50%
Is the 50% figure a guess?

Check this out from the MSN Auto site: "MSN Autos obtains its Reliability Ratings from Auto Information Services (AIS), the nation's largest technical support service for the aftermarket auto repair industry. AIS fields about 250,000 calls from subscribing auto repair shops each year—roughly 20,000 per month."

Here's what MSN says about the '97-'99 CL driveline: "Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs."

Contrast what MSN says about the '02 CL driveline: "An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Automatic Transmission. The cost to repair the Automatic Transmission is estimated at $3000.00 for a remanufactured automatic transmission and $481.00 for labor. Acura has extended the warranty on the automatic transmission and torque converter to 7 years or 100,000 miles."
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
wjk
Instructor

and because a car is dropped doesent mean u ride the car any harder.

as you can see my car has been in before i owned it. tranny .. another one... so the one i rebuilt was #3 at 100k miles. 2 trannies were when a 48year old woman leased it. u think she was racin. doubt it. our cars have tranny problems.
I didn't say that dropped cars are ridden harder. My point was that while dropped cars (CL's) are common on this board, they are very uncommon in the general population. I'm not criticizing BTW. Even so, when you consider the people on this board who mod the intake, etc, etc, for more power, it stands to reason that their cars (while well cared for) are being pushed more than the average CL, and probably beyond the original designer's intent. That's why the mods are done.

Also, perhaps I am mistaken. Are you saying that the words "Automatic transmission serviced" means a broken or replaced or remanufactured transmission? If that's what you meant, I would just point out that those words are used whenever the transmission fluids are checked/changed as per the regular schedule. My '99 just had it's fluid changed at 90K as per the schedule. On the records it says, "Automatic transmission serviced".

There only seems to be one instance (8/02/2002) in what you posted where there may have been more extensive tranny work done.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

notice the time line..

04/16/2002 61,480 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Brake rotors serviced
Front brakes serviced
Wheel rims serviced
Brakes inspected

07/31/2002 75,080 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Alternator serviced
Cigarette lighter serviced
Charging system checked

two days later
08/02/2002 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Converter serviced
Transmission controls serviced
Transmission serviced

10/07/2002 81,255 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Wiper blades replaced
Preventative maintenance performed

12/12/2002 88,430 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Vehicle towed

12/12/2002 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

theres 4 "servicings" in less than 6 months. how often do you change ur tranny fluid.. once a month. doubt it..

eather way, i guess im just one of those unlucky few 1% who have had 3 trannies in thier car.

im not sayin honda doesent put out a good whip, but these trannies suck. does that report also include the ones that are out of warranty that people take it to aamco, or mom and pop tranny joints. prolly not.. and since the problems usually occurr after the 80k mark (when all the warranties are expired) maybee they arent being reported. maybee it should say, 1% of all acura cl's within the 36k mile warranty status have had a transmission replaced.

people treat thier 2.x automatic the same way (hard), why dont they have atleast a 50% failure rate on this board? cause the m/b7za tranny sucks.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:44 AM
wjk
Instructor

theres 4 "servicings" in less than 6 months. how often do you change ur tranny fluid.. once a month. doubt it..

people treat thier 2.x automatic the same way (hard), why dont they have atleast a 50% failure rate on this board? cause the m/b7za tranny sucks.
Really, I'm sorry that you have experienced transmission suckage. But, you actually don't know what the "transmission service" was in your car's life history.

The wider data simply doesn't support a general projection of your opinion. Neither MSN Auto, or Consumer Reports (who use different methodologies) have data to support your conclusion. However, BOTH agree that the '01-'02 transmissions are problematic. Suddenly their data is good?

MSN is quite clear where they get their info. Note the words "aftermarket auto repair industry".

"MSN Autos obtains its Reliability Ratings from Auto Information Services (AIS), the nation's largest technical support service for the aftermarket auto repair industry. AIS fields about 250,000 calls from subscribing auto repair shops each year—roughly 20,000 per month."

Personally, if I had a car that went through 3 transmissions inside of, say, 100k, I'd be writing letters to the Honda CEO, my state atty. general, etc., etc.

Lastly, I would expect greater issues in a 3.0/auto tranny combination. More torque, more heat (and actually, more automatic transmissions!)

Anyway, I hope your current transmission is a good one. I'd also try to find out exactly what number of transmission it really is. If it's the 3rd, I think you have cause to start with a polite letter to Honda. This could be a good thing if your current gearbox fails.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Safety Car

the other replacments were from the previous owner. i rebuilt this one over a year ago, and havent had any problems. eather way your not goin to convince anyone on this board that our trannies are ok. or that only 1% of them have caused a problem. if i actually cared enough to do a street survey on every cl, then i would. but honestly, most if not all 3.0 automatic transmissions suck period.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:33 PM
10th Gear

wjk i don't care what you say and what YOUR figures state, but i go by actual people i've talked to, and people i know. And 75% and no i didn't make it up have had there tranny replaced. now saying that 1% only have there tranny problems RECORDED is prolly accurate but thats like saying that EVERYONE VOTES FOR A PRESIDENT it's not true so please sit down and do what you do best and let "us board members" do what we do and keep on posting FACTS IN OUR LIVES thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 07:21 PM
wjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by NbCLguy
wjk i don't care what you say and what YOUR figures state, but i go by actual people i've talked to, and people i know. And 75% and no i didn't make it up have had there tranny replaced. now saying that 1% only have there tranny problems RECORDED is prolly accurate but thats like saying that EVERYONE VOTES FOR A PRESIDENT it's not true so please sit down and do what you do best and let "us board members" do what we do and keep on posting FACTS IN OUR LIVES thanks
The ignorance in this post is "prolly" obvious, but I'd like to have some fun... They are not MY "figures". Read the prior posts. They are figures easily had from MSNAuto and Consumer Reports, and Acura. Sorry.

I'm sure you've talked to "actual" people. I talk to "actual" people every day. Haven't spoken to too many non-actual people lately. But it would be interesting.

I didn't say 1% have their tranny problems "RECORDED". And if I did, that still wouldn't be like saying "EVERYONE VOTES FOR PRESIDENT". What you've attempted is known as a "straw man". You've attempted to restate my view in an empty fashion, then push it over. Nice try. But down in flames. Sorry.

We live in a computer age now, and it's amazing how much data is out there -- on almost everything. It's almost impossible to shop at the A&P without someone else having access to what you've bought, and when. It's just the way it is. Deal with it. The data on Honda transmissions is well known and easily had from many different sources, far more reliable than anecdotal "facts". This is why you can see from many different sources, including Acura, that the 2nd generation CL transmissions were problematic.

You may, by all means, keep posting "FACTS IN OUR LIVES"... Just don't try to pass them off as general data. That's a little too ego centric, and baldly misguided.

In terms of what I "do best"... Posting on boards is just something I do for fun. But even on an off day, it's more than you can handle. I think you should "prolly" grow up.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

97 CL3.0 Tranny..

Just chiming in. I have a 97 CL3.0 w/ auto tranny and I've wondered why it shifts so clumsy the entire time I've owned this pile of shit tranny. Sorry to say but my dealer was a little more forthcoming with information on this car. The transmission is known to be trouble.

My transmission was replaced by the warranty for me, free.

The transmissions reverse was all but destroyed. 1st to 2nd shifting is terrible at best. 2nd to 3rd is better, 3rd and up is smooth and perfect.

There is a serious problem with the 97 CL3.0 Auto 1st to 2nd shifting. To polish a vehicles drive train to be so smooth and then to create a huge shifting pause is disappointing. Honestly it would be less disappointing if the entire car wasn't built around being smooth. It wouldn't make such a bollux seem to obvious.

I don't care what 'data' MSN or any other 'online service' has. Results can be tainted and adjusted by 'Privately' owned companies. Think it doesn't happen? You're reading a programmers words whose done just that, adjusted 'statistical data' for a large RDBS for an advertising company. If you think manufacturers are unaware that reviews are used as ammo to force recalls, you're in that cute little world Hollywood portrays. So cute and fuzzy.. Everything is fair...... Everything is good..............

I found this site searching for Err-3, and why my fugging radio decided I can't use it anymore. Aside this issue, there is only one complaint I have on the entirety of this car so far (recently purchased as a daily driver). The fucking shifting 1st to 2nd. It's just terrible, on a NEW TRANSMISSION. Both trannies have the identical shift pattern, identical. It's not a tranny problem, it's the accum or the solenoid or something.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 PM
wjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by ominous
I don't care what 'data' MSN or any other 'online service' has. Results can be tainted and adjusted by 'Privately' owned companies...

The fucking shifting 1st to 2nd. It's just terrible, on a NEW TRANSMISSION. Both trannies have the identical shift pattern, identical. It's not a tranny problem, it's the accum or the solenoid or something.
Two quick comments. MSN (and others) indicate big problems with the 2nd Generation CL Transmissions). Why wasn't this other data tainted? MSN also shows clearly that many Toyota 3.0 engines have a tendency to have a massive sludge problem (ending the engine's usable life, and costing a fortune if not covered). If I was Toyota, I'd have "fixed" this data long ago.

As to your present problem, the TCU has been known to be an issue with the 1st Generation CL. Was that replaced by the dealer?

My '99 CL transmission has 101,300 miles on it. The 1 to 2 shift is flawless (best I ever had on any automatic). If yours is not right with a NEW TRANSMISSION, then I'd be right at the dealer, and ask for an area service manager if you have to. A new gearbox should shift like one, and it doesn't sound like yours does. Also, a bad TCU isn't doing a new transmission any good.

BTW, if you're nice, or persistent, Honda has been known to be rather flexible on it's "goodwill" warranties.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

it may the 2nd gen trannies suck but theres already a recall for it. no recall for our trannies. which share mostly the same parts, inside and out. 101,300 huh, thats bout the time i rebuilt my tranny. u better knock on wood bout that flawless shift, cause its gonna dump. and when it does, u prolly wont tell anyone, and ull be out 3g's, and ull be stuck there lookin at YOUR prescious msn data, and ull be like......1% my ass, i aint no statistic.

how long have u had your car? did u do a carfax on it to see if maybee yours has been thru 4 "transmission services" in less than 4 months. check your own back yard slim.

oh yea ALL 3.0 transmissions suck. i just had to say it.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Revelation 3:15-17

3.0 Tranny's suck

You might want to start saving up 4.5g's for what the Doctor ordered.
Dr. Devil tranny.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:57 PM
wjk
Instructor

how long have u had your car? did u do a carfax on it to see if maybee yours has been thru 4 "transmission services" in less than 4 months. check your own back yard slim.

oh yea ALL 3.0 transmissions suck. i just had to say it.

You got it fats. Actually, didn't ONLY have CARFAX (which isn't that reliable anyway). What I DID have, with the CARFAX, was the name of the previous owner (1 owner vehicle). This led to a nice and informative conversation that enabled me to then get hold of the actual Acura service records. Then I had a separate mechanic (who specializes in Hondas) check the car out. Sorry.

Is the 3.0 CL the only car you've ever driven or had the option to buy? The reason I ask is, any car where, as you put it, "ALL the 3.0 transmissions suck" is a BAD car to buy, period. It's a lemon. You've been had. Sorry. Just had to say it.

Why would anyone buy, or stand for, a car that's gone through 3 transmissions? Seriously? Three? Even two would be more than enough for most people! Are you saying you HAD the CARFAX and still bought the one you now have? You're joking, right? It's not like the 3.0 CL is the only thing out there. Sell the car, fast, or get some help for the masochism.

Just couldn't resist.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

Well First Of All Slim Is Slang For Saying Dude Or Homeboy, Or Fellow. Second I Didnt Have The Carfax Report Until After I Bought My Car. I Never Said All 3.0's Suck, Im Simply Stating That I Like My Car Enough To Get Over The Transmission Problem. No This Isnt The First Car Ive Bought Or Owned Or Driven Or Anything Else Your Smart Ass Has To Say. I Didnt Know It Went Thru 3 Trannies Until After I Got The Carfax Report Not Even 4 Months Ago. Dogg (or Fellow As You Prolly Know It Buy.) Ur Full Of Shit. U Wont Last Long On This Board Picking Apart Everything Someone Says About A Known Fact. Especially On A Topic That Was Created To Help Someone. Read All My Posts All I Do Is Help. But Obviously Theres No Teaching A 50 Year Old Man Who Has Nothing To Do But Sit On The Computer All Day Anything About Something That He Doesent Know About. Sorry.. I Cant Wait For Your Trannie To Die On You. I Hope It Does Tomorrow, Then Your Sorry Ass Will Be On This Board Cryin About How U Have To Take Money From Your Grandchildrens College Fund To Pay For It. And Guess What.... No One Here Is Gonna Help You.. Cause U Dont Need Any Help With Your Computer Age Internet Crap. Better Yet.. Do You Know Anything About Cars At All. Or Do U Just Look Up Msn And Go "well All The Polls Say Theres Nothing Wrong With My Car, So There Must Be Nithing Wrong". And Calling Someone Ignorant For Making A Comment On A Thread (which Is What Threads Are For) Is Ignorant All In Its Own. Remember.. U Dont Know Shit About Trannies Or Servo's Or Clutch Packs Or Planetairy Gears, Synchro's, Or Anything, So Until Uve Been In A Transmission Or Even Changed Your Own Sparkplugs Shut The Fuck Up AND YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT SHIT. SO KEEP YOUR NON HELPING ASS OUT OF THE FACTS.

Just Couldnt Resist. Ass Hole

OH YEA ALL 3.0 TRANNIES STILL SUCK.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
yeah so true...
Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Instructor

well I found somthing out recently that may help you. I found that if your trani is replaced with anything other than honda/acure trani fluid it will start to jerk. Another thing that can realy mess with your shifting would be your tps sensor. I woudl replace your fluid and check the sensor.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Instructor

also i didnt understand realy if its slippen or just a jerk. Mine has always had a little jerk downshifting and somtimes in 2. All the cls ive driven have had a odd trani shift even one I drove with 30k miles on a 97. I think our tranis are just dislexic
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Safety Car

hey man, did u get those scans i sent you?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:27 PM
wjk
Instructor

U Wont Last Long On This Board Picking Apart Everything Someone Says About A Known Fact. And Calling Someone Ignorant For Making A Comment On A Thread (which Is What Threads Are For) Is Ignorant All In Its Own. Shut The Fuck Up AND YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT SHIT. SO KEEP YOUR NON HELPING ASS OUT OF THE FACTS.

Just Couldnt Resist. Ass Hole

I've never seen anyone sign off as "Ass Hole". But if that's what you want, OK.

I didn't need to call you ignorant. Your post makes the point better than I could ever hope to. All you can do is scream the same nonsense. Using all caps really helped make your point. Very convincing, except for all the spelling problems.

If I were you, I'd direct your venom at the person who sold you the CL with the lousy transmission.

Actually stating that you hope my transmission dies is a little disturbed, no? You may want to put more cash toward therapy (and education) and less toward CL transmissions.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wjk
I didn't say 1% have their tranny problems "RECORDED". And if I did, that still wouldn't be like saying "EVERYONE VOTES FOR PRESIDENT". What you've attempted is known as a "straw man". You've attempted to restate my view in an empty fashion, then push it over. Nice try. But down in flames. Sorry.

u old man are a hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold [syn: dissembler, phony, phoney, pretender]

straw man my ass.

this is a forum not an english class. so i can misssssppppeeeeyyuutlllll anything i want it doesent mean im an idiot.

for an old man ur sure immature repeating everything i say... "well ive never heard a person sign off as an asshole but"......shut the hell up ...

and i wasent refering to you callin me ignorant.. see your so full of your self u dont even remember who you try to offend. u need a life.....
p.s. thanks for takin time to read my misspelled crap.

3.0 transmissions still suck.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:22 PM
2.2 auto and coping

Old 05-10-2005, 06:09 AM
wjk
Instructor

u old man are a hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold [syn: dissembler, phony, phoney, pretender]

straw man my ass.

this is a forum not an english class. so i can misssssppppeeeeyyuutlllll anything i want it doesent mean im an idiot.
Misspelling may not make you an idiot, but posting as you have doesn't help. Actually, I believe it was you who came up with the word "idiot". OK, if you say so.

Endless namecalling and repetition usually stops at grade school. But in your case, we have to reexamine the data.

Thanks for reposting my other words. In this case, they are worth re-reading. I simply reiterate them. They are true. The data will not just disappear.

I doubt if anyone would mistake your posts as contributions to an English class. The problem is you can't disagree without resorting to the kind of responses most knowledgable adults of any age leave behind.

Have more confidence in your knowledge. Don't be so threatened by other points of view. That's what forums are usually about.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:02 AM
wjk
Instructor

3.0 transmissions still suck.
Here is the Acura Service Bulletin for the 2nd Generation CL Transmission:
(02-027 SEP 03 Campaign - Automatic Transmission Defect)

Please post the one for the 1st Generation.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 AM
wjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by wjk
Here is the Acura Service Bulletin for the 2nd Generation CL Transmission:
(02-027 SEP 03 Campaign - Automatic Transmission Defect)

Please post the one for the 1st Generation.

Thanks.

OK, here's one:

Make : ACURA Model : 3.0CL Year : 1999
Manufacturer : AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
Service Bulletin Num : 01162005 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10014766
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary:
P1706 A/T SWITCH SHORT OR OPEN. *EH
Old 05-10-2005, 07:45 AM

Old 05-10-2005, 07:51 AM

Nobody better get me started. Trust me, you don't want none of this.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
50? you must be kidding!

Just have to do this.......99 3.0 automatic, FLAWLESS...no engine or drivetrain mods, I drive it reasonably but with some punch from time to time, normal maintenance. I remember how I drove when I was 17-24, and I KNOW I caused most of my car's problems...(sorry but I think that's got a lot to do with many of the failures on this board) I'm not saying there is no transmission issue, I'm saying it is made worse by the mods and driving habits of young drivers (NOT a slam, a fact of life, young male drivers drive hard, hence the high insurance rates...)

If I do have any transmission problems prior to 100,000, I'll let you know and Honda WILL put a new one in for nothing..(I agree with WJK, Honda is reasonable if approached correctly and I've owned Honda vehicles since 1982)

and I still wish this car had come with a 6 M, I'd be in HEAVEN
Old 05-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Cruisin'

If I was Toyota, I'd have "fixed" this data long ago.
Seeing the demographic blemishes I've altered myself, I have little doubt they've done just this. Perhaps you should consider the lifespan of Toyota. Do you think it's worth the risk involved to adjust all data? Nah, a recall can cost far less. And not all companies are *cough* American.

As far as finding factual data, I'll trust MSN right up there with Fox News. Excellent, non-advertisment driven information, ya? Right. You're in no position to accredit the information found on that site as any other person. Kindly share your credentials aside "But it's MSN!!". Straw man eh? Pot and kettle much?

I don't know what 3.0 trannies have a problem but I'm certain 1997 Acura CL3.0 Automatic Transmission suffers from 'something' in the car. I loosely use the word transmission in verb form in replace of drive train. I don't think the problem lies in the transmission itself. It is clearly a miscalculation of something driving it.

I don't speak mechanic. I don't even replace my own spark plugs or change my oil. Why bother when someone else will get dirty in a timely fashion for $40 every 3 months? It's the price of a good dinner. So I'm not going to be able to tell you what component of the car is responsible for the tranny, aside that the tranny is not that. This is coming from an "Acura User", k? I don't need to get technical to tell you there's a problem with the drivetrain.

Before New Transmission:
- Car searches for gear (delays shift) and lightly drop-shifts 1->2, 2->1, sometimes 2->3.
- Car bucks going into reverse screeching an unholy sound that sends forest animals in all directions.

After New Transmission:
- Car searches for gear (delays shift) and lightly drop-shifts 1->2, 2->1, sometimes 2->3.

The new transmission fixed the buck going into reverse. The searching, delaying and drop-shifting into gear on 1->2, 2->1 and sometimes 2->3 is still present in the exact same form and firmness, 5 months after the transmission was replaced. Tranny was replaced by Honda (I have a full warranty on this car, 1.5 years left). All I can say is I hope they knew the right tranny fluid to use (per poster above to use Honda tranny fluid).

5 months later, same bullshit.

Doesn't take a mechanic to figure out there's a problem. Does that say the problem is common? No. Does searching around google, this forum, the head of the mechanic that works on my car, a second opinion at Advanced Transmissions, etc. make it common? Not alone, but at this point it's either sheer coincidence or a common problem. The amount of people I've seen myself, for me, it's a known problem. Advanced Transmission informed it it's not the tranny, however. They said to check the solenoid or accumulator, whatever the hell those are.

Whether you like it or not, there's a problem with my car, and a few others here. Same problem down to the description. At this point, having no better data to argue with, MSN included, I conclude there is a problem with this make/model/years/version cars drivetrain.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wjk
Misspelling may not make you an idiot, but posting as you have doesn't help. Actually, I believe it was you who came up with the word "idiot". OK, if you say so.

Endless namecalling and repetition usually stops at grade school. But in your case, we have to reexamine the data.

Thanks for reposting my other words. In this case, they are worth re-reading. I simply reiterate them. They are true. The data will not just disappear.

I doubt if anyone would mistake your posts as contributions to an English class. The problem is you can't disagree without resorting to the kind of responses most knowledgable adults of any age leave behind.

Have more confidence in your knowledge. Don't be so threatened by other points of view. That's what forums are usually about.

look man, im tired of this... ok ur right the 3.0 trannies are flawless and have never had a problem, we on this board MUST be the 1% u bow to.. and the repeating crap.. look at your own posts. search your own back yard before making claims. there is that what you want to hear. dogg u sound like my wife. never stop naggin. im obviously not as well spoken as you are, nor do i type as good as you. maybee thats cause im just a jet mechanic in the airforce. we dont type much. and we dont care how we spell aileron or flap or thermal ignitor or hydraulic or pneumatic. see theres things u actually dont know. bottom line this will be my last post about this stupid ass argument. ill be the better person. ok the only reason why i even got involved in this past proving a point is cause u called another person on this board an ignorant, all because he was tryin to put his 2 cents in, like i said before (yes im repeating my self again, so dont be an ass about it) you will not last long on this board if u keep taking everything someone says and pickin it apart. and obviously ur intimidated by me repeating "3.0 trannies still suck" so..............

all 3.0 trannies still suck. i guess im a juvinile now. huh.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:00 PM
wjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by mfkitson
Just have to do this.......99 3.0 automatic, FLAWLESS...no engine or drivetrain mods, I drive it reasonably but with some punch from time to time, normal maintenance.

If I do have any transmission problems prior to 100,000, I'll let you know and Honda WILL put a new one in for nothing..

(I agree with WJK, Honda is reasonable if approached correctly and I've owned Honda vehicles since 1982)
Thanks for bringing some reason into this... You know, it's funny, because I'd be more than willing to help someone write a good letter to Honda if indeed they'd gone through 3 transmissions.

In point of fact I accessed CARFAX for several members of this board (at MY cost), so they could get some info on their prospective purchases.

The problem here began when one fellow was questioning the manner in which his CL shifts. Telling him "all 3.0 transmissions suck" isn't the kind of help he needs, even if he actually has a problem.

But thanks. And good luck with you CL. If it runs as well as mine, at 101K, you've got a great car.

Quick Reply: '97 CL-3.0 Transmission