@$#%# I always have problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004 | 09:52 AM
roomate has a CL too

@$#%# I always have problems

I was all happy that I installed my Pioneer DEH-P850MP turned it on and it was hot shit. but... I press a button and the unit shuts off... im like fuck...

well I attribute it to the non stabalized unit since I hadn't tightened everything up I was just checking to see if the unit worked... well I got it working again but it was still loose... by the way I got it flush mounted with the cubby box back in too... but the HU is a little loose still. I used the aluminum strip that came with the HU and bent it like the factory bracket the metal bracket that held the HU in place. I thought everything was fine, so I put everything back together and then turned it on again ... and nothing... it doens't power up... I take the dash a part again pull out all the wiring and such... put it all back together and still no luck. I have no idea what is wrong maybe I blew the fuse on the wire harness? dunno. any ideas? this is really pissing me off... everytime I try and DIY it gets all fucked up. I took the dash apart 4 times already and put it back together 3 times... at the moment the dash is mostly apart.

not sure what to check... maybe test all the wires on the harness? I don't have a volt meter? is that what you use? also I electrical taped all the wires so that is going to be a bitch to undo... unless there is another way...

thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2004 | 09:55 AM
who got the best deal?

check under the hood its gonna be a fuse blown, or if not make the red, yellow, and black wires are connected properly.
Old 02-09-2004 | 09:57 AM
roomate has a CL too

how do I tell if the fuse is blown and which one do I check??? I know the top of the fuse box has a chart but im not sure which one goes to that part of the dash or perhaps it is labeled and i should just go outside and look at it.. well I'll look later gotta study for my japanese midterm which is in hmm an hour... wat up doE!
Old 02-09-2004 | 11:12 AM
Sign: Slippery When Wet

If you don't know how to check a fuse you shouldn't be doing this install without help. I suggest you find a friend that has a little electronics background before proceeding.
Old 02-09-2004 | 01:38 PM
roomate has a CL too

I did the install fine.... took the wire harness stripped the ends, matched up the wires from the harness to the harness of the HU, then plugged everything back in... it was a problem with mounting position or something because it was working great until I moved it...

AND... that is exactly why I am asking here... bluesman.
Old 02-09-2004 | 02:53 PM
Safety Car

u should have just gotten an adapter from walmart. its pretty easy. anywayz, the fuse should just say radio. it is in the engine bay. when ur lookin at it from the front its the closest ont to you on the cover. it says radio, and its a 15a fuse. make sure u got the yellow wire going to the battery constant and the red wire going to the accessory on the ignition. u will eather need a diode light (light pen) or a voltmeter to do this. if thier backwards then the accessory doesent have enough power to run an aftermarket head unit, and it will shut off, as soon as it trys to put out sound. if its not turning on at all then its probly a fuse. check the little one behind the radio also. if that one is blown id take the radio back and get another one, cause that one is pretty hard to blow. i hope this helps out alittle. do u still have the stock harness u cut off?
Old 02-09-2004 | 04:37 PM
roomate has a CL too

I didn't cut the stock harness... I bought the honda/acura wire harness... there is a harness that comes with the HU which sticks into the back of the HU... crimped and electical taped all the corrisponding wires together (the honda/acura wire harness to the HU wire harness) and then plugged in the antenna plug and then plugged the honda/acura harness into the stock female harness...

I had it on and it was working great... ran it for good 15 minutes pretty loud at lvl 40... and then turned it off to finish putting the dash together... I start up the car after everything is on and then try to turn on the HU and nothing..... took the dash apart again checked over my handy work and everything looks good... I'll have to check the power wires red and yellow and check the black ground to see if things got rattled around but they should be still crimped. If not that I'll look at the fuse. the fuse by the battery which is on the yellow wire I hope isn't blown. I'm not sure what that battery does. but thanks for the help.

oh I got the line level converter from walmart but Im going to take that back because I got the regular wire harness from pepboys. I was reading a few of the intall instructions and I don't think I did anyting wrong... maybe just got a bad unit.
Old 02-10-2004 | 11:13 AM

My guess is you caused a short to ground when you finished putting the dash in. The easyest thing to check is the fuses. If one is blown then its a good bet you have a bare wire touching ground somewhere. It is very hard to imagin what is going on with you'r install, that was the reason for my suggestion of a friends help that can see whats going on. Without a volt/ohm meter its hard to do anything but a visual check. The first thing I would do is get rid of the taped connections and get some connectors to crimp the leads together. This could remove a host of problems and reduce the chances of shorts and grounds.
Old 02-10-2004 | 11:23 AM
roomate has a CL too

since im a n00b at electrical things... where can I pick up some connectors? and what ... size? do I need or are they just universal wire connectors. thanks.
Old 02-10-2004 | 11:27 AM

Well I reread your explination of you install and tried to edit my reply but couldn't. Any way look for bare wires that might touch something. Dis regard my commit on the crimped connections, if they are insulated.
Old 02-10-2004 | 11:33 AM

You will need connectors for the gage wire on your harness. Radio Shack will have what you need. Did you find a blown fuse?
Old 02-10-2004 | 04:40 PM
roomate has a CL too

thought i would check my thread to see if anyone left me some more advice... thanks bluesman... im about to go outside and check now... got back from work... (I skateboard to campus where I work, i don't drive)

I'll let you know whats up... looks like dash removal #6?? lol. I'll have to do it again when the prelude shifter gets here. I think the threads for the dash screws are getting messed up anyway to make them tighter? stick a piece of cork in the holes or something?
Old 02-10-2004 | 05:21 PM
~aka~chester~pingusa~

dont forget to check the fuse in the back of the hu .

good luck
Old 02-10-2004 | 05:37 PM
roomate has a CL too

i just checked the fuses... nothing seems to be the matter with them at all... well I don't have a tester but they "look fine" no blackened parts like it burned out.

Checked the battery (yellow wire) the other 12V wire (red) and I checked the ground wire (black) and they are all nice and connected.

connected the (-) battery terminal again and turned on the car... nothing from the HU... hmmm booo maybe I should put in my stock HU and see if that works. If it does has to be something with the new Pioneer HU... I'll have to send it back to them or something if it doesn't work GRRR.

Anyway one of my CDs is in there. Anything else I can check? Anyone in the area want to help me out? I can't think of anything else to do. Defective unit perhaps.
Old 02-10-2004 | 05:56 PM
roomate has a CL too

EDIT: I'm giving up for the day... going to put the stock one back in then go to fucking 6-8pm class !@$#@%*&!^# and other words.

thanks again to bad we didn't figure it out. I emailed the people I bought it from, hope they get back to me soon.
Old 02-11-2004 | 06:23 AM
roomate has a CL too

Got it back to stock... works great... stock wtf is wrong with my install I did everything...!!! and even had it working for a while... fucking A what is wrong with my luck. Anyway I might just take it to an audio place with my dash apart and everything so they can discount me for labor or something like that. They'll know what to do.
Old 02-11-2004 | 06:56 AM
GOT AIR PPPPSSSSSSTTT?

just hook upthe yellow and the red wire together and touch it to the (+) terminal on the battery and touch the black wire to the (-) terminal and then push eject and you should be able to get your cd out if you have no power then you could have blown the fuse on the radio
Old 02-11-2004 | 10:03 AM

There may be an internal fuse in the HU. Its possible you may have damaged something in the circitry. tightac1's suggestion is a good one. You will be able to determine if the unit will power up at all. Since the old unit works the problem has to be in the new HU. If you have a battery charger you can use it as your power source. This will be easyer to do, by yourself, rather than trying to hold the HU and trying to attach the wires to the battery. Use the clips on the battery charger and remember red = positve black = negative. If it does not power up and you know for sure the fuse is good then the HU is bad. I suggest you take the HU fuse to Radio Shack let them check it and if its bad they should have a replacement.
One other question. Are you attempting to run this HU through the Bose amp?
Old 02-11-2004 | 01:30 PM
roomate has a CL too

yeah... through the bose amp. I didn't get around to pulling out the harness from the amp in the trunk, I just wanted to get the HU working first... then I was going to strip part of the wires that were on the harness and attach the speaker wires directly like i read in one of the old threads.

what is a battery charger... you mean a car battery charger? or a double AA battery charger. I got a rechargable battery charger... will that work? plug it into the wall, attach wires to it and then see if it powers on?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2004 | 11:35 AM

I sent a reply that did not redegister. Anyway use only a 12V car battery charger.

In any case I think the Bose Amp is the problem. I am surprised it worked the first time. Bose wires every thing different. Lose the Bose.
Old 02-12-2004 | 06:56 PM
roomate has a CL too

Originally posted by Bluesman
I sent a reply that did not redegister. Anyway use only a 12V car battery charger.

In any case I think the Bose Amp is the problem. I am surprised it worked the first time. Bose wires every thing different. Lose the Bose.
hmm I guess I'll just have to take it to a place to get it installed. FACK!