Torque Converter Replacement, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:33 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Torque Converter Replacement, anyone else?

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same...

I brought my 2012 MDX to the mechanic to check the power steering system, as it gets really heavy, like unassisted heavy, when parking. I know that I should expect having to put a little more effort, but this is too much. I have also been noticing a whine, so I figure there was no harm in checking.

While there, I said to the service advisor that the car has been experiencing some "surge" in RPMs, that I cannot duplicate, that it typically happens between 2500-3000, while in high gears, and maybe a slight hill. I got a call at the end of the day from the tech to tell me that my torque converter may be damaged and in need of replacement, and that it was most likely the cause for the surge.

This made me think back to when I got the car, and how I always felt that there was something abnormal about the way the car shifted from 1-2; they checked the VIN and I had the updated software for the early torque converter release.

I am at 55K miles, and fortunately have an extended warranty that should take care of this problem. I am wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar.

TLR small engine surge when driving at 2500-3000 rpms, tall gear, slight hill, tech says I need a torque converter replacement.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think this is the TSB right now where they are changing the tranny fluid and flushing it. Did they change out the torque converter ?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:48 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Si_jeff
I think this is the TSB right now where they are changing the tranny fluid and flushing it. Did they change out the torque converter ?
The whole thing
Old 09-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
That's what I'm expecting my dealer to do on '12 when I drop it off. Let us know if that solves the problem.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:05 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same...

I brought my 2012 MDX to the mechanic to check the power steering system, as it gets really heavy, like unassisted heavy, when parking. I know that I should expect having to put a little more effort, but this is too much. I have also been noticing a whine, so I figure there was no harm in checking.
What did you find out about the loss of power steering while parking issue? I've found the same thing a few times now. Please let me know, thanks!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Although I have not experienced this on my MDX, I have experienced this before on my TSX. It was running low on PS fluid, check your fluid and see if it is on the correct level and use ONLY OEM Honda/Acura PS Fluid.

Originally Posted by bnr32jason
What did you find out about the loss of power steering while parking issue? I've found the same thing a few times now. Please let me know, thanks!
Old 10-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Your power steering pump is faulty get it replaced, known issue on 12 MDX.

The 12MDX 1-2 shift is always a little fugazi like it shifts to 2nd way too quickly and I rather it stay in 1st a little longer but its just the way it's designed or tuned.

The RPMS jumping around on part throttle and low RPMS high gear, up a hill can be a possible torque converter starting to go but it needs to be confirmed with a technician at the dealer.