View Poll Results: What and where could this leak be coming from?
How many have had issues with water leaking in floorboards like this?
50.00%
What was the issues that caused water on both sides of floorboards?
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Wet front floorboards/both sides

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 06:26 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet front floorboards/both sides

Hello everyone,
I boos 2010 Acura MDX AWD/SH with tech package in November of 2023. I love it and got it at a great price. But I have a real issue with rain water getting in and on both front floorboards!
I could really use some help narrowing down were water is getting in my 2010 Acura MDX please!

I noticed it this Monday when I went to clean out my car and removed the heavy duty floor mats. It had obviously been doing it for a while because the floor was frozen still from where it has been so cold. The water is not greasy or anything so it is water coming in.

I keep sucking it up every day at a local car wash that has a wet vac, but it continually keeps getting wet and we have had a lot of rain the last week.

I did do some investigating thanks to my search on this forum and it is not the front sunroof tunes because water goes out where it is supposed to. I did also check cabin filter to see if it was wet as well and it is totally dry.

Here are a few things I have had done to it since I purchased it.

I hade radiation flushed and oil changed.
At the same time I had the cabin filter changed and when I went to drive off I heard a chirping noise from the glove compartment and turned around, they fixed the noise.

About three weeks ago I had to get all new tires because there were nails in my tires. Crazy, but we are having issues with someone throwing nails on the road near my house.

Then two weeks ago I had the accessory belt (may be wrong name, but not timing belt) replaced, front and back differential fluid flush, transmission fluid flush, and maybe a few other things.

When they changed the belt they didn’t take the wheel well cover, totally off, they bent it out of the way. I thought it may be the reason it was leaking, but it seems to be in place and it is getting in on both sides.

I did check the cowl, but did not Take it apart and it seems to be clean of debris. I seen on a forum here where the seal on the canister can come loose. I don’t think it’s that because cabin filler is dry.

I did use low pressure hose on top of car and windshield to see if it was dripping down between the dash and floorboard, it didn’t.

I popped the hood and it is dry all the there and along firewall back in there.

It seems to be just on floorboards and some is going into second row floorboards. It is not wet up on the sides where the doors meet, up further on floorboards or in between the console or rise in second row floorboard.

There is however a cut in carpet underneath the driver seat and a black box underneath. Not sure what that is but it is a little wet under there.

I am stumped and trying to figure out where the leak is before taking it in Monday so I don’t have to pay the mechanic to disassemble my car. I clean homes for a living and not rich. I take great care of my cars and need it fixed without making me go broke in the process.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss to what is causing it. I am 60 years old, but pretty resourceful. My dad and grandfather were both mechanics. I know a lot about cars, just not water leak issues.

frustrating because when I tell a mechanic I want my car totally checked over I want it totally checked over and anything I can do preventative, I want it done. They don’t seem to want to do that, they want to fix the issues after the fact. I can’t afford to break down because I had a chemical burn all over my body and breaking down could mean life or death for me.

Please help! Any advice is appreciated! I live in Fairfield, Ohio if there happens to be a great mechanic on here that is in my area!

Old 01-28-2024, 07:24 AM
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 499 Posts
Sounds like the leak is coming from underneath.
Are you missing splash shields or is the seam sealer on the floorboards damaged?
Old 01-28-2024, 09:08 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
Are you missing splash shields or is the seam sealer on the floorboards damaged?
not as far as I know. It was not leaking until here recently.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:16 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
but they did bend back the splash shield on the passenger side wheel wheel when replacing the belt which didn’t make me feel real comfortable!
Old 01-28-2024, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 499 Posts
Welp...

Old 01-31-2024, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the roof rack channels for cracks in the seam sealant. Pretty typical for this car.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 598 Likes on 443 Posts
Do you have an OEM windshield?

When I previously lived in VA, I bought a used Honda that would get a wet front floor when it rained.

The problem ended up being a poorly sealed windshield letting water seep in.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My friends 2012 sunroof drain on the “girlfriends “ side was clogged flooding that side .Run the glass back and give a visual and maybe pour water into the drain areas .
They are prone to clogging with tree debris and such . Good luck .