Upgraded from a 2007 MDX to a 2012 MDX ADV/ENT

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
Wow, 6000 miles already? You're still breaking it in! LOL. I honestly believe that if I'm spending my money on a luxury car, I want a FULLY loaded luxury car. It annoys me to see a fancy BMW or Lexus with a giant GPS mounted on the windshield. I figure, if you made it this far, spring for a few thousand more and grab the model with at least the midrange bells and whistles. Otherwise, for what I'm paying for an entry level luxury, I would get a fully loaded Honda Pilot or Chevy Tahoe with accessories installed. Plus, the Advance is how the MDX is supposed to be equipped anyway.

I don't have any pics of the LEDs just yet. But I replaced all the regular bulbs except the visor mirror. I've got some 6K LEDs over the license plate and it really makes the rear end look exotic.
I changed the front and rear turn signals, the front and rear parking, the fogs and DRL to 5k, inside the tailgate to 5k, and I'm waiting on the 6K footwell and door LEDs to come in from backorder on VLEDS.com.

Plus, I finally created a thread.
Check it out:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...4#post13829194

I'm not a pirate, so I wasn't planning to hijack your thread much longer.
WOW! You did alot thats awesome! But yeah I agree with you why would you pay 50+ grand on a benz or BMW SUV and still not have Navi or bluetooth Audio. My cousin bought a fully loaded Range Rover even has a upgraded factory system and still dosent have Bluetooth Audio! Question for you. Have you noticed on the back up cam no picture is not as clear at night? And when you changed the bulbs did it help it out? Thats one thing I dont like about the MDX is the back up cam! And no worries about the Hi Jack its all good!

Originally Posted by ZhenyaF
Congrats.

My mom went from '07 Black on Black MDX to '11 White w/ beige interior
Nice! She will love the new one! A few differences from the the 07 buts its worth it!

Originally Posted by Bayman
everytime i see an advance, i think...what a waste paying all that more money...for more fancy gizmo's and 1 inch bigger wheels, that do not look any better than the 18's on my tech....hmmm...well maybe i am a little jealous
HAHAHA! I used to think that when I drove my old MDX and pull up next to a Advanced! And now I have one
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ziggyh22
WOW! You did alot thats awesome! But yeah I agree with you why would you pay 50+ grand on a benz or BMW SUV and still not have Navi or bluetooth Audio. My cousin bought a fully loaded Range Rover even has a upgraded factory system and still dosent have Bluetooth Audio! Question for you. Have you noticed on the back up cam no picture is not as clear at night? And when you changed the bulbs did it help it out? Thats one thing I dont like about the MDX is the back up cam! And no worries about the Hi Jack its all good!

The camera sucks at night. It's so dark back there even on semi well lit roads. I installed LEDs for the reverse lights and they're crazy bright and it does nothing to the image on the screen. I think the camera has low lumens or CCD or whatever the technical term is for brightness/clarity.

I think backup cams need to have the night vision included in the camera lens. This is one of the main reasons why I'm installing backup sensors.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

The camera sucks at night. It's so dark back there even on semi well lit roads. I installed LEDs for the reverse lights and they're crazy bright and it does nothing to the image on the screen. I think the camera has low lumens or CCD or whatever the technical term is for brightness/clarity.

I think backup cams need to have the night vision included in the camera lens. This is one of the main reasons why I'm installing backup sensors.
Nice How much did the back up sensors cost you? Also did you get them yet?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Here are some updated pics just wanted to share! Got the car washed and its first wax so here ya go!

This was taken at the car wash! I thought it was pretty funny how small the MDX looked compared to a lifted Excursion parked next to me!

So far mods that have been added on is another set of headphones so now I have 4 total and all my kids can enjoy and I added the rear bumoer 3m aplique to help protect from stuff falling out when I open the tailgate!Thanks for looking guys!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Burning Brakes

I haven't gotten the backup sensors yet. I found some on Ebay for $430, but I'm not sure how much labor the dealer will charge to install.
Had a minor hiccup in my plans which required redirecting some funds to the TL. I had to buy a pair of tires for the TL because some construction metal got wedged into one. It was unfixable, so I had to dip into the reserve fund.

Anyway, your MDX is still looking good. Looks like a toy next to that Excursion, though.

Pics never get old!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 AM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

I haven't gotten the backup sensors yet. I found some on Ebay for $430, but I'm not sure how much labor the dealer will charge to install.
Had a minor hiccup in my plans which required redirecting some funds to the TL. I had to buy a pair of tires for the TL because some construction metal got wedged into one. It was unfixable, so I had to dip into the reserve fund.

Anyway, your MDX is still looking good. Looks like a toy next to that Excursion, though.

Pics never get old!
Well I wiil follow your thread on when you do decide to get the sensors so I can see what is involved to install them! Sorry to hear about the TL Yeah it suck when something unexpected happens!
Thanks fro the comments and again I am happy that you enjoy your MDX as well!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Ziggy,

I'm trying to justify purchasing the tow hitch. I really want the rear garnish but I know it doesn't work with the tow hitch. I was thinking about having the hitch for the few occasions that I would mount our bikes for park outings. Otherwise, I would just get the rear garnish instead.

Or, I could get the tow hitch and figure out how to customize the rear garnish along with it. I saw this done on an MDX on another forum, but they used an aftermarket hitch. I would like to stay as close as possible to OEM.

So, if you could give me your thoughts and pros/cons, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Hey Ziggy,

I'm trying to justify purchasing the tow hitch. I really want the rear garnish but I know it doesn't work with the tow hitch. I was thinking about having the hitch for the few occasions that I would mount our bikes for park outings. Otherwise, I would just get the rear garnish instead.

Or, I could get the tow hitch and figure out how to customize the rear garnish along with it. I saw this done on an MDX on another forum, but they used an aftermarket hitch. I would like to stay as close as possible to OEM.

So, if you could give me your thoughts and pros/cons, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
What up SLIM! You know what I used to have a aftermarket tow hitch on my 07 MDX and I didnt like the way it sat on the bumper it actually sat lower than the factory one! The factory hitch sits as close to the bumper as possible so that it flows alot better with the body plus it comes with the OEM electrical and you wont have to worry about any connections its all PNP! I never thought about modifying the rear accessory garnish if thats what your talking about to fit over the hitch but as I imagine it more it would look pretty dope. Did you order the garnish already and if so post up some pics I wanna check it out. Also how much are they charging you for the hitch? and installation? The actual installation of the hitch is not that difficult you just have to drop the exhaust just pulling off the rubber hangers is a bitch! and its 4 bolts 2 on each side or is 8 and 4 on each side hahah I forgot already! The only thing im unsure about is the installation of the wiring harness but I would imagine it shouldnt be that hard. Here are a few pics on the setup

Last edited by ziggyh22; 07-17-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

^
Nice. Yeah I'm undecided on getting the hitch because I wouldn't be using it to tow anything. But you never know when you might have to. I just don't want to risk any transmission issues from Honda/Acura. That's why I would get it just as a piggy back for bikes and the like. However, I would definitely mod the rear Garnish with the hitch, but judging from your pics, it seems like it would be a really tight fit.

I haven't gotten the garnish yet nor the sensors. I had to focus on the TL because the 105,000 service is over due by 15,000 miles and I started noticing some changes. The power steering is kinda stiff, so I gotta figure that out and the engine whines when cold. The TL's been neglected, so I gotta "spoon" her for a while. LOL
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

^
Nice. Yeah I'm undecided on getting the hitch because I wouldn't be using it to tow anything. But you never know when you might have to. I just don't want to risk any transmission issues from Honda/Acura. That's why I would get it just as a piggy back for bikes and the like. However, I would definitely mod the rear Garnish with the hitch, but judging from your pics, it seems like it would be a really tight fit.

I haven't gotten the garnish yet nor the sensors. I had to focus on the TL because the 105,000 service is over due by 15,000 miles and I started noticing some changes. The power steering is kinda stiff, so I gotta figure that out and the engine whines when cold. The TL's been neglected, so I gotta "spoon" her for a while. LOL
Yeah I havent really towed anything the only thing I use is a 4 bike bike rack and thats it so so far so good with that. Im still curious about the garnish now you got me thinking. But yeah ive been concentrating on the TL lately finally got the charger on heres the thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/2nd-gen-tl-ct-supercharger-3rd-gen-tl-863190/
and WOW what a difference this is how the TL shouldve been made! I have a couple problems but hopefully should be solved soon. But yeah get that belt replace soon I had a buddy that had his belt broke and DAMN what a headache its a 800$ investment thats worth it. Were leaving for Grand Canyon tomorrow so this will be the first real long drive for the MDX so lets see how it goes. Ive been checking back on your thread and I really like the leds on the running boards how much did that cost you? And uhhhh dont mind if I copy youhahahah

Last edited by ziggyh22; 07-17-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added text
Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah I havent really towed anything the only thing I use is a 4 bike bike rack and thats it so so far so good with that. Im still curious about the garnish now you got me thinking. But yeah ive been concentrating on the TL lately finally got the charger on heres the thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863190
and WOW what a difference this is how the TL shouldve been made! I have a couple problems but hopefully should be solved soon. But yeah get that belt replace soon I had a buddy that had his belt broke and DAMN what a headache its a 800$ investment thats worth it. Were leaving for Grand Canyon tomorrow so this will be the first real long drive for the MDX so lets see how it goes. I've been checking back on your thread and I really like the leds on the running boards how much did that cost you? And uhhhh dont mind if I copy youhahahah
Man, your TL project is a beast. Nice work.
Enjoy that Canyon. I know the MDX is going to make road trips a lot more enjoyable. Yeah, the LED's are subtle, but hella bright. It turns heads everytime.
Man, copy away. I got them from V-LEDs and they're pretty inexpensive.: http://www.v-leds.com/Strip-Lights-L...orLanding/true.
If you do decide to go through with it, hit me up. I'll give you some pointers.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:35 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the 10-12 Advance wheels, NICE
Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 AM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Man, your TL project is a beast. Nice work.
Enjoy that Canyon. I know the MDX is going to make road trips a lot more enjoyable. Yeah, the LED's are subtle, but hella bright. It turns heads everytime.
Man, copy away. I got them from V-LEDs and they're pretty inexpensive.: http://www.v-leds.com/Strip-Lights-L...orLanding/true.
If you do decide to go through with it, hit me up. I'll give you some pointers.
Thanks Slim! I will hit you up for sure for some advice! BTW the I did 1200 Miles in 5 days and the MDX drove great I'm currently at 9100 miles and going strong. Funny thing I was going down the I40 towards Flagstaff AZ wifey and kids were all asleep and a GL550 came up next to me and started messing with me so I decided to see what the MDX can do! I floored it and went from 85 t0 115 and VTEC sounded so beastly(is that even a word LOL) and we were side by side the whole time when I saw how fast I was going I let off (not worth the ticket) When he slowed down he pulled next to me gave me the and took off! 50 grand+ car vs a 80 grand+ car and we were side by side? I'll take it any day! So yeah a little fun while the wifey and the kids were sleeping hhahah! But on a side note I LOVE the rear DVD it shut the kids up great!

Originally Posted by MDXist
I like the 10-12 Advance wheels, NICE
Thanks you! I agree Something about the gunmetal against black give it a different look!

Last edited by ziggyh22; 07-23-2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: added text
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Traded today steel blue 08 tech RES for cherry red 12 Advance RES. Looking forward to the 6 speed and advance suspension. Really just wanted heated rear seats, but have to get RES to get. Hope the suspension helps the Michelins last longer. On my 08 the first set lasted 20k, and about the same for the second set. just not enough tread for Cleveland winters. The Conti LX 20s really have much better snow and wet traction.
Any input on the changes between the 08 and 12?
Nav changes?, bluetooth audio, HDD audio, anything else.
How are the ventilated seats?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Originally Posted by kssod
Traded today steel blue 08 tech RES for cherry red 12 Advance RES. Looking forward to the 6 speed and advance suspension. Really just wanted heated rear seats, but have to get RES to get. Hope the suspension helps the Michelins last longer. On my 08 the first set lasted 20k, and about the same for the second set. just not enough tread for Cleveland winters. The Conti LX 20s really have much better snow and wet traction.
Any input on the changes between the 08 and 12?
Nav changes?, bluetooth audio, HDD audio, anything else.
How are the ventilated seats?

Congrats on the pick up and upgrade! Well tire wise I dont have the same issues that you do due to the fact it dosent snow here or rain that often. But I am afraid when the tire on the MDX do go out it will be more expensive cause of the bigger tire size 18 on the 08 and 19 on the 12 advanced.

As far as differences there is quite a difference! Nav is better RTT, Zagat, And weather. Bluetooth Audio is AWESOME the only issue I have is when you plug in your Iphone to the USB and switch from BT to USB there is a lag which sometimes gets annoying. The best option so far has to be the BSI (blind spot indicators) Sometimes I switch lanes without looking hahah. I dont reccomend that The ventilated seats come in handy especially when its hot outside and im in a shirt,tie, and slacks it helps with the SWAMP ASS!!!LOL Other than that Its been the best upgrade going form the 08 to the 12 I have about 9300 miles to date and just did a 1200 mile drive for vacacion with the kids and the Rear DVD was AWESOME in shutting the kids up! But you will LOVE your ride and the CHerry color in the ADVANCE will look great! Posts some pics when you can
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by kssod
Traded today steel blue 08 tech RES for cherry red 12 Advance RES.
What is a RES?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Originally Posted by db22
What is a RES?
Rear Entertainment System
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Rear Entertainment System
Thank you, RES is what Acura call ENT as in the OP title?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank you, RES is what Acura call ENT as in the OP title?
That is correct.

ENT is ENTertainment is the same as RES is Rear Entertainment System.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! I would recommend it I have 4 kids and it fits us perfectly!
It fits you? How old are your kids? I have an 8yo and just had a newborn and when we had one kid if we went on any kind of trip we just had enough room. Maybe we pack too much. Now with the baby seat, the stoller, and wifes diaper bag (I have my own "man bag" thank you ), and anything else we need for a trip, I think I am going to have to trade/sell the Xer for a minivan.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:25 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by sigp228
It fits you? How old are your kids? I have an 8yo and just had a newborn and when we had one kid if we went on any kind of trip we just had enough room. Maybe we pack too much. Now with the baby seat, the stoller, and wifes diaper bag (I have my own "man bag" thank you ), and anything else we need for a trip, I think I am going to have to trade/sell the Xer for a minivan.
If you need more room than the mdx offers for an 8yo and a new born you are doing something wrong. You can try a roof box for trips, that will help
Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
If you need more room than the mdx offers for an 8yo and a new born you are doing something wrong. You can try a roof box for trips, that will help
I have looked into that, and the box on the back of the trailer hitch but I am not too keen on them as they are a pita to load, unload and cause alot of wind noise and sucky mileage. Plus, I don't like putting more weight on the roof altering the center of gravity on a higher vehicle already. At least that is how I feel. I like having everything inside. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I have looked into that, and the box on the back of the trailer hitch but I am not too keen on them as they are a pita to load, unload and cause alot of wind noise and sucky mileage. Plus, I don't like putting more weight on the roof altering the center of gravity on a higher vehicle already. At least that is how I feel. I like having everything inside. But thanks for the suggestion.
I'm not trying to have you keep your MDX, but I have to tell you from experience (I have two kids as well) that the roof box wasn't as bad as I though it would be. I didn't notice any wind noise (or not too bad), the mileage hit was probably 1mpg while driving at 75-80, installing and uninstalling was not that big of a deal (I did it alone a couple of times) and I really never felt too unstable (center of gravity) in the car.
Having said that, I need to clarify that this was on my RDX and that I have not tried the box on the MDX because I haven't needed to do so.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

My kids hated riding in that box but it should be OK for the newborn.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Cruisin'

My kids hated riding in that box but it should be OK for the newborn.
I don't want to put her there in case i got rear ended. I don't even think there are any latch hooks in the rear seat either. I am not sure since I have never used the rear seats.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I don't want to put her there in case i got rear ended. I don't even think there are any latch hooks in the rear seat either. I am not sure since I have never used the rear seats.
He is suggesting putting the newborn in the roof box....
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Oh wow what I miss in here! LOL

My kids are 14,13,12, and 9 and then me and my girl and its a perfect fit. We took a drive to AZ and we still fit all out luggage in the SUV! BTW I'm a Tetris king! hahahahha
Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

He is suggesting putting the newborn in the roof box....
See what little sleep does, I did not catch that. There's another reason for the van, if I go Sienna, it has lounge style captains chairs I could sleep in and let the wife drive me!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Here are some updated pics just wanted to share! Got the car washed and its first wax so here ya go!

This was taken at the car wash! I thought it was pretty funny how small the MDX looked compared to a lifted Excursion parked next to me!

So far mods that have been added on is another set of headphones so now I have 4 total and all my kids can enjoy and I added the rear bumoer 3m aplique to help protect from stuff falling out when I open the tailgate!Thanks for looking guys!

Hmmm!! I may have to go with the sport running boards afterall.

Incidentally, I also went from a 2G MDX to a 2.5G MDX in just trading my base 09 for a 12 Tech.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Originally Posted by F23A4
Hmmm!! I may have to go with the sport running boards afterall.

Incidentally, I also went from a 2G MDX to a 2.5G MDX in just trading my base 09 for a 12 Tech.
Do it I like them alot and not too many people get these anymore they go for the chrome running boards instead. Congrats on your pick up
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick question , I want to buy my mother a 07 or 08 mdx , will 2010 mdx plastic grill fit ? How about 2010 mdx headlights
Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Originally Posted by southwest77083
Quick question , I want to buy my mother a 07 or 08 mdx , will 2010 mdx plastic grill fit ? How about 2010 mdx headlights
From my understanding the headlights are the same. The grill I am not too sure but there are people that bolted up the 2010 bumper, grill, and fogs to a 07-09 MDX and it fit fine. I believe there was someone in the BM that was selling theres. Hope that helps

Last edited by ziggyh22; 08-15-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: edited text
Old 08-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Do it I like them alot and not too many people get these anymore they go for the chrome running boards instead. Congrats on your pick up
Thank you. Yeah, I'm definitely going to make that purchase soon.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Quick pics of the ride proof that its not a garage queen and I do use it for the snow! LOL
Kids had a blast snow boarding and I was able to fit 5 boards on the rack!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Those fresh powder pics look good. Nice to see the SH-AWD at work.
Just like your first pic, our X enjoys a healthy realtionship with the gas pump. But that's the nature of the game in order to be able to post pics 2 and 3.

We took our first road trip, to go hiking, a couple weekends ago to the hill country in Austin, TX. The X felt solid on the road and the gas mileage was on par average for it's size and weight.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Those fresh powder pics look good. Nice to see the SH-AWD at work.
Just like your first pic, our X enjoys a healthy realtionship with the gas pump. But that's the nature of the game in order to be able to post pics 2 and 3.

We took our first road trip, to go hiking, a couple weekends ago to the hill country in Austin, TX. The X felt solid on the road and the gas mileage was on par average for it's size and weight.
What up SLim Hope all is well with you for the New Year! Yeah I loved it going through the Mountains in the snow especially when you see everyone else pulled over putting there chains on and we just kept movin gotta love the all wheel drive! Nice road trips are the best in this SUV and I agree about the gas mileage must be cheap for you in TX over here Chevron 91 is $4.49 But I'm glad your loving your ride
Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So just curious why you upgraded and what you really like about the newer model that you didn't have on your older one?

We have a 2008, and are being hounded by the dealer to do a trade-in. I told them we love the car and plan to keep it for 10 years, and looking forward to having no payments soon. Almost 70k miles and so far the maintenance cost is great compared with my BMW.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Borazon -much like op, I upgraded too. I went from 08 tech to 2011 adv ent. We upgraded because of the bells and whistles like sport suspension, blind spot indicator etc. the truth is we didn't need to upgrade. The problem is I have some sort of car disease that makes me get bored of my cars after like 2 years and I will find the slightest reason to trade in. This week I washed my mdx twice just so that when I look at it it's shiney and I won't feel like getting rid of it which lately I have been feeling like I want to trade it in . The car also is not good on gas but neither was my regular tech. My tech was a 5sp auto and it somehow got better mileage than the new 6sp auto, go figure.

I have two kids and its also tight for 2 adults and 2 kids on a road trip. When I had my tech we only had one so I never noticed it. I resolved that issue with my oddyssey TE, plenty of room. Anyway it's a nice car but I always think, I'd if I had kept my 08 shed be paid off by now. Anyway, good luck whatever you choose to do.