Here we go again - Considering an MDX (or RDX)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here we go again - Considering an MDX (or RDX)

Brief history - Had two Toyota 4Runners in early 2011 and was ready to trade one in and get an 2011 MDX but as much as we loved the vehicle the constant "low mpg" posts and concerns made us reconsider and we ended up getting a 2011 TL (FW). In hindsight, that was the best decision for us at the time because we really didn't need two SUV's. We absolutely love the TL.

But, we do need at least one SUV in the family and it is time to depart with our remaining Toyota 4Runner that my wife drives. Hence, this post seeking opinions.

For my wife and her daily commute, the new 2013 RDX is a fine fit. The new designed is much approved over the 2012 RDX and the gas mileage at 20/28 is better than what she is getting in her 4Runner. Our two concerns with the RDX are:

(1) Is it big enough for our boating needs. We keep our boat at a marina but we do haul a huge cooler and a lot of overnight supplies so we can stay overnight on the boat. It would work, but more space would work better.

(2) The RDX having just come out means the pricing isn't as negotiable as it is with the MDX.

Hence how this post relates back to the MDX and we find ourselves considering it again with our only hesitation being, once again - gas mileage.

The MDX solves our storage concerns the RDX has at the cost of mpg concerns. Looking at what it seems the MDX is actually selling for, there seems to be some great deals out there. So, when looking at the price of a new RDX that they aren't budging off of much and comparing it to the price of a new MDX that is pretty discounted, it seems like it could be possible to get an MDX for between $5,000 to $6,000 more than the RDX. To me, I have a hard time not pulling the trigger on the MDX since it just seems like much more vehicle for just $5,000 to $6,000.

Like I said, "here we go again" because it feels like early 2011 again when we loved the MDX but just couldn't come to grips with potentially bad gas mileage. I wish there was a way to draw an analogy with my TL's gas mileage to better know what the MDX would give us in mpg based on "our" driving habits. For example, if my TL was supposed to get 20 city / 26 highway and I in practice average 24 mpg per tank, is it fair to say that an MDX that gets 16 city / 21 highway would in practice average 19 mpg per tank?

To MDX or RDX, that is the question.

Last edited by Lawtyger; 06-24-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawtyger
Brief history - Had two Toyota 4Runners in early 2011 and was ready to trade one in and get an 2011 MDX but as much as we loved the vehicle the constant "low mpg" posts and concerns made us reconsider and we ended up getting a 2011 TL (FW). In hindsight, that was the best decision for us at the time because we really didn't need two SUV's. We absolutely love the TL.

But, we do need at least one SUV in the family and it is time to depart with our remaining Toyota 4Runner that my wife drives. Hence, this post seeking opinions.

For my wife and her daily commute, the new 2013 RDX is a fine fit. The new designed is much approved over the 2012 RDX and the gas mileage at 20/28 is better than what she is getting in her 4Runner. Our two concerns with the RDX are:

(1) Is it big enough for our boating needs. We keep our boat at a marina but we do haul a huge cooler and a lot of overnight supplies so we can stay overnight on the boat. It would work, but more space would work better.

(2) The RDX having just come out means the pricing isn't as negotiable as it is with the MDX.

Hence how this post relates back to the MDX and we find ourselves considering it again with our only hesitation being, once again - gas mileage.

The MDX solves our storage concerns the RDX has at the cost of mpg concerns. Looking at what it seems the MDX is actually selling for, there seems to be some great deals out there. So, when looking at the price of a new RDX that they aren't budging off of much and comparing it to the price of a new MDX that is pretty discounted, it seems like it could be possible to get an MDX for between $5,000 to $6,000 more than the RDX. To me, I have a hard time not pulling the trigger on the MDX since it just seems like much more vehicle for just $5,000 to $6,000.

Like I said, "here we go again" because it feels like early 2011 again when we loved the MDX but just couldn't come to grips with potentially bad gas mileage. I wish there was a way to draw an analogy with my TL's gas mileage to better know what the MDX would give us in mpg based on "our" driving habits. For example, if my TL was supposed to get 20 city / 26 highway and I in practice average 24 mpg per tank, is it fair to say that an MDX that gets 16 city / 21 highway would in practice average 19 mpg per tank?

To MDX or RDX, that is the question.
You can probably buy a new MDX tech for about the same price, if not lower, than the RDX tech.
The following users liked this post:
paz840 (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
You can probably buy a new MDX tech for about the same price, if not lower, than the RDX tech.
I think people are getting offers of $500-$1500 off MSRP now for the RDX in its various versions. The MSRP for the RDX Tech is around $38,000 which would mean offers of around $37,500 + TT&L.

Where are you seeing prices for the MDX Tech that low? (Seriously asking)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Lawtyger,

I don't know if you do any towing, but the RDX's towing capacity is pretty paltry, so take that into consideration. As for whether it's enough to haul your cooler and overnight stuff, only you can answer that - nobody else knows what you're hauling.

The MDX is a gas guzzler, but it's a damn nice vehicle. I just never have gotten over the gas mileage which, with as many miles as I put on a car per year, would be over $1,000/yr more on the MDX vs. the RDX at $3.75/gal gas. If I keep the MDX for 7-8 years ... yikes.

But a lot more goes into the decision-making than just mileage like you pointed out, but those are questions that, for the most part, only you can answer based on your own preferences.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a quote for a Base MDX 2012 $36K -- including loyalty cash and I assume manufacturer-dealer incentive being passed through to the me.

Upstate NY
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
You could always wait for the next gen MDX to come out and then you would have the option to choose between all three; new RDX, next gen MDX or current version MDX.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DubSilk
I got a quote for a Base MDX 2012 $36K -- including loyalty cash and I assume manufacturer-dealer incentive being passed through to the me.

Upstate NY
Hi DubSilk, when did you get that quote? Did that include the destination fee?

If a base MDX is getting quoted at $36,000 and the Tech package costs $3,500 more than the base, that's like quoting a MDX Tech at $39,500. Assuming that is true, and on average RDX Techs are being quoted at $37,500, I'm not sure how anyone could not spend the extra $2,000 to get the MDX Tech over the RDX Tech. I know the MDX has the $1,500 incentive to the dealer, and I'd get the loyalty cash. Were you getting the $1,500 competitor conquest offer too?

What didn't you buy the MDX base at the quote of $36,000?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Lawtyger,

I don't know if you do any towing, but the RDX's towing capacity is pretty paltry, so take that into consideration. As for whether it's enough to haul your cooler and overnight stuff, only you can answer that - nobody else knows what you're hauling.

The MDX is a gas guzzler, but it's a damn nice vehicle. I just never have gotten over the gas mileage which, with as many miles as I put on a car per year, would be over $1,000/yr more on the MDX vs. the RDX at $3.75/gal gas. If I keep the MDX for 7-8 years ... yikes.

But a lot more goes into the decision-making than just mileage like you pointed out, but those are questions that, for the most part, only you can answer based on your own preferences.
Hey Rocketsfan, yeah we had some decisions to make but hearing others point of view helps.

We don't do any towing, just haul overnight bags, cooler, fishing poles, etc. sometimes. From a size perspective the MDX is definitely the better size and more like the room we have with our 4Runner than the RDX.

The main advantage we believe the RDX has over the MDX for us is true keyless entry and push button start and gas mileage. I think, in every other way the MDX is the vehicle we would want. That said, obviously price factors into things so if an MDX costs us up front $5,000 to $7,000 more, than I think we'd be in the RDX market for sure. But, if an MDX is selling for $3,000 or $4,000 more than the RDX, it's pretty had not to consider the MDX again and just realize, while we are spending $750 more a year in gas, that we made up that amount by getting a good deal on the vehicle.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Rocket Scientist

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your guestimate for MPG is spot on. We average mid 18's to 22 for our mixed city/highway driving. 23-24 for all highway.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonC5
Your guestimate for MPG is spot on. We average mid 18's to 22 for our mixed city/highway driving. 23-24 for all highway.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Advanced

Getting multiple quotes indicating the MDX can be had for about $2,000 more than the RDX and having again looked and sat in both vehicles side by side, the MDX is worth every penny of that $2,000 difference.

Thus, I think we will be putting gas mileage aside and likely going with the MDX barring some strange turn of events.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
having now driven an RDX as a loaner, and looking in the cargo area of it... it's tiny. the MDX has plenty of space for lots of gear. and i honestly find the MDX a little more comfy for long hauls with plenty of space for stuff when traveling. the RDX seats are firmer and handling a bit more like my TL (which is not a bad thing), but for hauling gear for road trips to races for us...the RDX would be tight. add another body with bags...it's not comfy anymore. the MDX...plenty of space and easily haul an extra body with plenty of gear.

MPGs...not terrible. my TL is rated 18 city 29 hwy....i get maybe 18-19 mpg avg 25 mph. my MDX 16-17 mph at avg 25 mph. all hwy the MPGs on the MDX go up to 22-24 mpg, loaded.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 PM
10th Gear

The quote was fantastic. We originally were considering an Outback or a Crosstour. We stepped into the dealership to check out the RDX, which we saw at the NY Autoshow. We walked out of the dealership with the MDX quote. As tempting as it was -- and believe me, we were (are?) tempted --- we hadn't planned on spending $39K on a vehicle. With a baby on the way, we figured that we could spend the difference elsewhere.

We received the quote on June 19. Here is an excerpt from the salesperson's email:

"The retail price on this model is $43925.00,so the discount is aggressive -6930.00 ...[W]e have very aggressive pricing on the 2012 MDX starting at $36,995.00 for the base model, with 0.9% financing available, but only on the MDX. We also have Acura loyalty cash when you own a 2002 or newer Acura, we will give you $1000 to put toward the MDX."

Technically, I guess the quote was $36,995 plus $1,000 in loyalty cash.

I am not sure how she got to that price. No one else would touch it. I don't know where you are located, but perhaps you should give her a call.

My guess: $1,000 loyalty and $1,500 manufacturer incentive and some stuff that we don't know about plus we need to move units.

Last edited by DubSilk; 06-27-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DubSilk

Technically, I guess the quote was $36,995 plus $1,000 in loyalty cash.

I am not sure how she got to that price. No one else would touch it. I don't know where you are located, but perhaps you should give her a call.
DubSilk, could you please post or PM, as to which upstate NY is this dealer (and salesperson)? If the savings over the area dealerships are big enough, I'll drive up there from Philly.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MPG is pretty bad as noted by a lot of people...Why Acura? Have you considered the infiniti's? (JX, FX) or the Lexus (RX)? My 2WD RX gives me 24MPG mixed and 27MPG hwy
Old 07-02-2012, 03:42 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by service.suraj
The MPG is pretty bad as noted by a lot of people...Why Acura? Have you considered the infiniti's? (JX, FX) or the Lexus (RX)? My 2WD RX gives me 24MPG mixed and 27MPG hwy
JX and the RX are really boring cars. He mileage improvemtn of the JX over the MDX is does not make the car "worth it" IMO. The RX is equally boring and the mialeage you mention is not better than the new RDX.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
10th Gear

JX and the RX are really boring cars. He mileage improvemtn of the JX over the MDX is does not make the car "worth it" IMO. The RX is equally boring and the mialeage you mention is not better than the new RDX.
Boring but atleast they are solid vehicles and are worth the money. But, isnt RX a slightly bigger vehicle? RX is 187X74X67 and weighs 4178pounds. The RDX is 183X74X66 and weighs 3717 pounds.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^the RX is a midsize, the RDX is a cute ute.

how are acuras NOT solid vehicles that pack a lot of "value" in the car (monetary and features)? so far all your posts have been anti-acura and you're on an "acura enthusiasts" forum.

justify your responses better and maybe you might not be thought of as a troll.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Boring but atleast they are solid vehicles and are worth the money. But, isnt RX a slightly bigger vehicle? RX is 187X74X67 and weighs 4178pounds. The RDX is 183X74X66 and weighs 3717 pounds.
hmmm.......I actually consider both the RX (when I got my RDX) and the JX (when I got my MDX). They are indeed solid vehicles, my comment was that they are really boring to drive. This is also the same thing most (if not all) car magazine articles say. Also, there is a slight improvement in the gas mileage that favors the JX when compared to the MDX, I didn't think that the improvement was so significant to choose that car instead of the MDX.
The MDX rides in a platform that was introduced in 2006? for the model year 2007, the JX was just introduced, so you will find some areas where the JX is a "better car", and that's to be expected.
Now, the RX is a great reliable car.....it's just too dang boring to drive. Maybe "driving fun" is not your thing, and that's just fine, the car gets you from A to B in a safe and comfortable way. I have not driven the new RDX, but I am willing to bet that it's a lot more like the RX than the previous generation car, and that's because boring sells.

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^the RX is a midsize, the RDX is a cute ute.

how are acuras NOT solid vehicles that pack a lot of "value" in the car (monetary and features)? so far all your posts have been anti-acura and you're on an "acura enthusiasts" forum.

justify your responses better and maybe you might not be thought of as a troll.
He is not a troll, I will elaborate for him. He just bought a new MDX and is dealing with a "sound" that the dealer has not been able to fix. I put sound in quotes not to make fun of him, just because they have not been able to find the cause. He wants the car to be declared a Lemon, the dealer and Acura are not going that way. So he now has to "fight them" with lawyers and the BBB and such. He is not a troll, but rather an unhappy customer.....Did I get it right?

Service, you keep saying that you should have done your research before purchasing the Acura, I am not sure what that research would have shown, except that they are pretty reliable cars, with great customer service at the dealers.....seriously, have you found anything that makes Acura any "worse" than any other brand?
Having problems with a car is no fun, but your experience is not the norm.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^thanks for the background on our disgruntled unhappy MDX owner. so he's venting and bashing on acura b/c of a noise the dealer can't find on his car. if he's that unhappy...trade it for something else. i mean really, a lemon b/c of a noise? sure i bought a CPO'd MDX, and it has it's little "chraracter" flaws, but i'm not gonna be pissing on acura over a noise. i have a wind noise in my driver's side door...dealer tried to fix it, said it was a normal characteristic for THIS car. so i found my own solution to deaden the wind noise. annoying yes, but nothing to make a big deal out of.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
StayAtHomeDad

^^thanks for the background on our disgruntled unhappy MDX owner. so he's venting and bashing on acura b/c of a noise the dealer can't find on his car. if he's that unhappy...trade it for something else. i mean really, a lemon b/c of a noise? sure i bought a CPO'd MDX, and it has it's little "chraracter" flaws, but i'm not gonna be pissing on acura over a noise. i have a wind noise in my driver's side door...dealer tried to fix it, said it was a normal characteristic for THIS car. so i found my own solution to deaden the wind noise. annoying yes, but nothing to make a big deal out of.
I'm partially with him on this one, I don't know what the noise is about, but if it is that bad to have he car at the dealer for over 20 days in the first month of ownership Id be pissed to.
The car is brand new, and e would probably trade it if he could.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I'm partially with him on this one, I don't know what the noise is about, but if it is that bad to have he car at the dealer for over 20 days in the first month of ownership Id be pissed to.
The car is brand new, and e would probably trade it if he could.
20 days?! his dealer must be pretty inept. my dealer probably would have bought the car back from him and then sold him a different one, assuming that's what he wanted to do. OR they would have fixed it already.

i'd have to know what the noise was before i make any frustration judgements in this case. i certainly wouldn't be claiming a lemon.

hell sell the car back to the dealer and get something else??
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
StayAtHomeDad

https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/one-month-old-lemon-861417/
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

20 days?! his dealer must be pretty inept. my dealer probably would have bought the car back from him and then sold him a different one, assuming that's what he wanted to do. OR they would have fixed it already.

i'd have to know what the noise was before i make any frustration judgements in this case. i certainly wouldn't be claiming a lemon.

hell sell the car back to the dealer and get something else??
Dont want to hijack the thread but in short...
Yep...a disgruntled owner. 20 days at the dealer and they could not figure it out. If an Acura dealer cant figure out and fix a noise, wouldnt you be frustrated. At this point I am open to having the dealer buy back the car. The dealer is not open to that.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:08 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Opus360
DubSilk, could you please post or PM, as to which upstate NY is this dealer (and salesperson)? If the savings over the area dealerships are big enough, I'll drive up there from Philly.
I just saw this. I wish you had PM'd me. Sale might be over as of yesterday, but with the July 4th special, it is worth a shot.
Opus360 (09-27-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Dont want to hijack the thread but in short...
Yep...a disgruntled owner. 20 days at the dealer and they could not figure it out. If an Acura dealer cant figure out and fix a noise, wouldnt you be frustrated. At this point I am open to having the dealer buy back the car. The dealer is not open to that.
i would be frustrated but my dealer wouldn't be that bad about trying to figure out the problem. isn't there another dealer you can go to?

aside from your personal frustrations with your situation (which is not the norm BTW), why did you choose the MDX?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Looks like the thread has been active. Well, we ended up getting the 2012 MDX tech, palladium silver with ebony interior and sport running boards.

Definitely much more car than the RDX and with movement on the price of the MDX and lack of movement on the RDX the price different was $2,200 (actually less since we got them to through in the sport running boards, lifetime power-train warranty and window tint). No dealer would budge off the price of their RDX's so it was easy to choose the vehicle we really wanted - the MDX.

As far as our gas mileage concern with the MDX, so far we are pleased. I guess I read so many post with people throwing out 14 mpg, 16 mpg, etc. that I was a bit concerned. But, we are down to a quarter tank and our MDX is averaging 20.2 and we've actually done more "city" driving than normal while visiting family to show off the new car and sitting in the driveway in park while the car is running. My 2011 TL mpg got significantly better after 10,000 miles so I'm hoping that getting 20.2 based on our driving now will only go up after we get some miles on the MDX.

So far, very happy new MDX owners. Had the TL for 1 year and 3 months and still have no noises or rattles so hopefully we have the same experience with this MDX.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lawtyger
Looks like the thread has been active. Well, we ended up getting the 2012 MDX tech, palladium silver with ebony interior and sport running boards.

Definitely much more car than the RDX and with movement on the price of the MDX and lack of movement on the RDX the price different was $2,200 (actually less since we got them to through in the sport running boards, lifetime power-train warranty and window tint). No dealer would budge off the price of their RDX's so it was easy to choose the vehicle we really wanted - the MDX.

As far as our gas mileage concern with the MDX, so far we are pleased. I guess I read so many post with people throwing out 14 mpg, 16 mpg, etc. that I was a bit concerned. But, we are down to a quarter tank and our MDX is averaging 20.2 and we've actually done more "city" driving than normal while visiting family to show off the new car and sitting in the driveway in park while the car is running. My 2011 TL mpg got significantly better after 10,000 miles so I'm hoping that getting 20.2 based on our driving now will only go up after we get some miles on the MDX.

So far, very happy new MDX owners. Had the TL for 1 year and 3 months and still have no noises or rattles so hopefully we have the same experience with this MDX.
Congrats Lawtyger. My wife and I are also looking at a MDX along with a few other options (FX35, XC60, Flex). I was looking at doing a CPO 2010 advanced which are going for $35-40k, but it sounds like I could get a new Tech for that price which is pretty crazy. Just out of curiosity did you get a quote on a new advanced package MDX or did the dealer mention it at all? I wonder if there are as willing to deal.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced

OCADA, unfortunately we did not inquire about the Advanced package because we felt we were pushing the top of our price range with the Tech.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by OCADA
Congrats Lawtyger. My wife and I are also looking at a MDX along with a few other options (FX35, XC60, Flex). I was looking at doing a CPO 2010 advanced which are going for $35-40k, but it sounds like I could get a new Tech for that price which is pretty crazy. Just out of curiosity did you get a quote on a new advanced package MDX or did the dealer mention it at all? I wonder if there are as willing to deal.
Did you get your CPO X?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

I just bought a 2012 MDX Tech for $39,120. I was quoted $36,500 for a new RDX Tech. The extra $$ for the MDX is worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by justwayne
I just bought a 2012 MDX Tech for $39,120. I was quoted $36,500 for a new RDX Tech. The extra $$ for the MDX is worth it in my opinion.
Did you buy new?

I am looking for a 2011 MDX, I like to know what should I look out for ( know issues, maint....) with a car say in the 30k mileage range ? I have a 2007 RDX TECH wifey drives. Love the car and do all the preventative maintenance on it.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^if you're looking at 2011's you might as well look brand new 2012's for maybe $2k more. clean slate, no weird history, no wear and tear. justwayne bought new FYI.

MDX's like the RDX are pretty solid cars. no major issues to speak of even in my '09. the 2G MDX is essentially going to be a 7 yr old production model for the 2013's. so everything by 2011 and 12 should have been worked out.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM
4th Gear

2013 RDX AWD base vs 2012 MDX Base

I appreciate your observatons.

I am a long time honda owner....trying to make a final decision between a 2013 RDX AWD base vs 2012 MDX base. RDX has latest acura technology....but looks a bit small. MDX Exterior looks are Awesome; and preference! But the MDX seems a bit old...2010 or older features / technology. Also, many postings on poor/ lower gas mileage MDX vs RDX. So the score is tied. Any help to break the log jam in my decision making process is Much appreciated!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by hondaowner

I am a long time honda owner....trying to make a final decision between a 2013 RDX AWD base vs 2012 MDX base. RDX has latest acura technology....but looks a bit small. MDX Exterior looks are Awesome; and preference! But the MDX seems a bit old...2010 or older features / technology. Also, many postings on poor/ lower gas mileage MDX vs RDX. So the score is tied. Any help to break the log jam in my decision making process is Much appreciated!
If you are making a decision based on numbers alone, the decision should be easy to make.
Price? the RDX should be cheaper, although there are great deals on MDXs since there are still 12s on the lots, and there is a brand new model expected next year
Gas mileage? RDX wins hands down
Space? Unless you are planning to use a third row from time to time (if you really need it, a minivan is a better option), the RDX should suffice.
I only upgraded from my 07 RDX because I needed that third row, and the extra luggage space. I have to say though, that if I had been able to fit a person in the second row with the two car seats installed, I would have probably kept the RDX since I installed a roof box that gave me the extra trunk room I needed. Gas mileage was almost the same, I am probably taking a 1-2mpg hit with the MDX Vs 07RDX. I have the same monthly payment
When compared to the 2013, I believe that they are a bit closer in size and that the new RDX is a great car, although not as great to drive or perform as the previous Gen RDX, or even the MDX.
hondaowner (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

you need to ask yourself: how much space do you need? how much are you willing to spend? certainly, the RDX has the newer bells and whistles, but the interior is small compared to the MDX. What will you be using the SUV for? hauling stuff, people, long trips etc. gas mileage is relative. my recent trip in my MDX (with the old 5 spd tranny in my 09), yielded over 24 MPG at an avg speed of 67mph for 300 miles. the terrain was not exactly flat either. on the way home we yielded about 23 mpg avg 57 mph (it rained most of the way and when it rains people drive stupid). so hwy trips the MDX is actually a very efficient beast. in town....my typical commutes get me about 17 mpg at avg speed of 25mph for the tank (so called mixed driving).

there are certainly deals to be had right now on the 2012 MDXs since th '13s have recently landed on dealer lots. the redesigned MDX is expected to be out for the 2014 model yr.

ultimately, you need to decide what YOU want and need out of either vehicle and how much you are willing to spend. the RDX has standard AWD, the MDX has the SHAWD. the MDX may have a few creature comforts that the RDX doesn't have and vice versa. figure out what you really want or go with your gut. never "settle" if you dont' have to. good luck.
hondaowner (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for your time & thoughts......

Pricing is so close, which is helping (?) or compounding the decision. 2012 MDX base quote is ~37500....2013 RDX AWD base is ~35000.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Cruisin'

Pricing is so close, which is helping (?) or compounding the decision. 2012 MDX base quote is ~37500....2013 RDX AWD base is ~35000.
We recently faced the same questions you are and went with the 2012 base MDX. The new RDX's are selling very well and as such there isn't much movement price-wise. We got our MDX in the color combination we wanted (palladium/ebony) for $38.1 OTD (NM's vehicle excise tax is 3%, which means the sale price was $36.9, including all dealer fees, etc). We did have to travel about 5 hours each way to get it, but whatever.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Price: you got to look at the total cost of ownership taking into account insurance, gas, repair and maintenance. When you take that into account, the cost differential is bigger as time passes by.

MDX vs RDX performance view: I originally wanted the RDX for its size. Upon test driving the 2013 one and looking at its features in person, I knew immediately that the RDX was an inferior car to the MDX in just about all aspects. MDX is a far better car - at least a class above in ride and handling. RDX is nothing more than a more luxurious bigger Honda CR-V. If MDX is too big too etc, move on to something else such as the BMW X3 or Audi Q5. Both are better SUVs than the RDX and will be worth the premium.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
4th Gear

Great points. Thasnk for your insight.

I love the MDX. Love the looks, and size, and just about everything about it. Drove my friends 2011. However, after driving the 2013 RDX and now a 2013 Accord, and seeing the New technology in the New Honda / Acura offerings and the New interiors, the MDX appears outdated in my opinion. I can get more standard, “latest and greatest” features in the All new 2013 RDX and the 2013 Accord than I can in a 2012 MDX. I understand the MDX pricing probably has taken this in account, and the price is terrific. But this is why I’ve had trouble “pulling the trigger” this week on a vehicle and making a final decision….for 35 or 40 thousand, I want “no reservations”.

Quick Reply: Here we go again - Considering an MDX (or RDX)