Extended warranty cancellation problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Extended warranty cancellation problems

Three days ago I bought a new 12' MDX w/tech package for 38.2k. I think I got them on the price, but then they got me with the extended warranty, for 8yrs/100k I paid $2664. I've now received quotes from other sites for the Acuracare warranty for just over $1900. So, as you can imagine I'm interested in cancelling. One small problem, if you read the fine print regarding cancellation of the extended warranty you buy through your dealership, it states that once you have cancelled your extended warranty it cannot be reinstated.
I've spoken to two different dealerships who were offering me much better pricing on the same warranty and both assured me that I could cancel and then buy it from them, but what are they going to say, they want to sell me the warranty.
So, my question is, has anyone on this forum cancelled an extended warranty that they bought at the time they bought their car, then purchased the same warranty at a lower price somewhere else and then later on, after the initial manufacturers warranty expired (4yrs/50,000) attempted to use the extended warranty? If so, was it accepted?
Thanks ya'll
Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fennster
Three days ago I bought a new 12' MDX w/tech package for 38.2k. I think I got them on the price, but then they got me with the extended warranty, for 8yrs/100k I paid $2664. I've now received quotes from other sites for the Acuracare warranty for just over $1900. So, as you can imagine I'm interested in cancelling. One small problem, if you read the fine print regarding cancellation of the extended warranty you buy through your dealership, it states that once you have cancelled your extended warranty it cannot be reinstated.
I've spoken to two different dealerships who were offering me much better pricing on the same warranty and both assured me that I could cancel and then buy it from them, but what are they going to say, they want to sell me the warranty.
So, my question is, has anyone on this forum cancelled an extended warranty that they bought at the time they bought their car, then purchased the same warranty at a lower price somewhere else and then later on, after the initial manufacturers warranty expired (4yrs/50,000) attempted to use the extended warranty? If so, was it accepted?
Thanks ya'll
Was it an official Acura Care warranty? Not all dealers sell Acura Care.

Also, my 2 cents. Acura Care doesn't do much good for the first 4/50 since it doesn't really cover anything in addition to the normal factory warranty. I did a comparison quote on buying with the car new or waiting until around 4 years or 50k miles. Guess what... the price was almost identical to get the additional 4 years and 50k miles. I'm going to save the cash and buy later if I even own the MDX then. Acura Care prorates refunds after the first 30 or 60 days and they do it from date of purchase, even if the extended warranty hasn't even gone into effect.

Last edited by vulches; 10-27-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's a great price, care to share which dealer u got it from?
Originally Posted by fennster
Thanks ya'll
Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by datasunny
that's a great price, care to share which dealer u got it from?
I got a quote for $1790 for 8/100 with $0 deductible Acura Care on a 2012 MDX with Tech from Bob Leab with Hyannis Honda (email is bobl.sales at hyannishonda dot com). I bought one for my former TL from him and it was a very easy process. They typically are under dealer "cost" by about $20. I passed on the MDX as I mentioned since I could buy essentially the same 8/100 when I get close to the end of the 4 year standard warranty for around the same $1800. I don't like that Acura prorates the refunds if you trade in the car, even though the Acura Care covers almost nothing until the end of the standard warranty.