Excessive Play on Calipers - Noise. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive Play on Calipers - Noise. Please help

Hello Friends:

Noob questions. What does it mean when mechanic says, "Caliper (front) has excessive play"?

1. I have 2001 Acura MDX, when I drive on freeway and it goes above 60 miles (with my feet on gas pedal)), my steering wheel starts shaking. when I press brake, it does not shake. My brakepads which has lifetime warranty also go bad very quickly (I drove only 2K miles in a year and my front brakepads are gone already). Recently I have noticed that my front rotors are going bad too and it's uneven. I took it to the Acura dealer for inspection and they said my front calipers have excessive play. I just don't know what Excessive play means.

2. Second isssue: Car makes lots of noise when I go over bumps or go on an uneven road (it literally gives me headache). I hear like metal clanking; things are falling apart under the hood. I changed both front Shocks and struts, no help. I changed all tires; no help. Dealers checked for all bushing and tightened all the screws underneath, but said they don't see any problems and blamed it on the car being 2001 and it's old. But they did find one of the transmission mount to be broken. Could this ONLY be the issue? . Any ideas how to make it quieter? I just can't make this car quiet

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
First you can and probably should replace your front calipers/brackets/pads and rotors with new OEM parts. You can use brembo blank rotors as they make most OE equipment anyway, but would be cheaper than buying OE acura rotors.

Second, A broken trans mount is probably a big deal... Get it fixed.