Dealer vs after market tow package

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer vs after market tow package

Just purchased a 2012mdx and still tryng to decide which towing package. should I get the full tow package at the dealer? Or have it installed after market? My only reservation with after market risking damage during install and not having it warrantee

Any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Yep, that is one reason I had the dealer install the oem hitch. I have also realized the factory does know best, I usually avoid any 3rd party/aftermarket modifications other than factory oem.
The following users liked this post:
regmack (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
install it yourself. it's easy. an hour of your life. the dealer will want over $800 for parts and install.

everyone is always concerned with warranty stuff. first you have to PROVE that the hitch is causing the damage (its a hitch, what can go wrong?) or the wiring harness has caused the damage.

with that said...
OEM hitch is rated for 5k lbs, costs almost $300 (probably more at dealer prices), the harness will be plug and play and cost $75-100.
aftermarket hitch is rated for 4k lbs (this is debatable as it should be for 5k lbs), costs less than $200 at etrailer.com (they also have a nice DIY video as well) while the harness is also plug and play, will cost $35.

plan on hauling a big ole boat...then...maybe you might want to get the OEM hitch. if you're looking to tow light weight stuff or just haul bicycles aftermarket is fine. what i have noticed is that the OEM hitch sticks out a bit from under the bumper. the aftermarket ones look more tucked under the bumper.

i have an aftermarket hitch (draw tite which is essentially the exact same as the hidden hitch), DIY'd the install. it wasn't that hard and required an hour of your time. the holes are predrilled into the car for the hitch. your car is new so the bolts should thread nicely without much struggle vs a car that has seen the road for a couple of yrs. i ddin't get a wiring harness since i am only going to haul around bikes on a hitch rack.

my friend has an MDX with an aftermarket curt hitch and wiring harness. he's towed a uhaul trailer with his MDX, no problems. most of the time he uses a hitch rack.

if money isn't an issue then go with whatever you're comfortable with. if you wanna save a few bucks for other stuff...like other car toys or bills...DIY and aftermarket. i've also installed my OEM running boards on my car too.
regmack (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Cruisin'

Tltrigirl

I should have said I.m a female and only know how to check fluids. I thought about crawling under the mdx to do it but then when I read lowering the pipes and removing the other stuff, I chickened out.

I surfed the net on all the hitch sights listed. Prices were good but low profile is a concern. I ,ve been checking out hitches on every vehicle I see. It looked like every factory hitch was unobtrusive. After market Draw tight hung down the lowest. Then there were a few with unmount spare that worried me as well.

With the DIY, do you have to take the bumper off too? Ugh!

By warrantee concerns, I have bad luck and could just imagine something breaking/scratching/cracking during install and the aftermarket guys deny any blame

Regina
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by regmack
Tltrigirl

I should have said I.m a female and only know how to check fluids. I thought about crawling under the mdx to do it but then when I read lowering the pipes and removing the other stuff, I chickened out.

I surfed the net on all the hitch sights listed. Prices were good but low profile is a concern. I ,ve been checking out hitches on every vehicle I see. It looked like every factory hitch was unobtrusive. After market Draw tight hung down the lowest. Then there were a few with unmount spare that worried me as well.

With the DIY, do you have to take the bumper off too? Ugh!

By warrantee concerns, I have bad luck and could just imagine something breaking/scratching/cracking during install and the aftermarket guys deny any blame

Regina
It seems that you are very concerned about the installation and the warranty procedures and such. In all honesty, I would go the factory route and try to get the parts cheaper through a vendor here and have the dealer install it. I say this because it seems that you don't have the time nor the want to argue with a dealer if something goes wrong, and with many dealers seeing you as a woman who can easily be taken advantage of, they won't hesitate to try and screw you over in the event something does go wrong with an aftermarket hitch such as a cracked subframe or something.

Last edited by csmeance; 03-04-2012 at 07:26 PM.
regmack (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM
SKW
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went aftermarket with a Curt hitch and etrailer's harness as I didn't plan on doing any heavy towing. Just a bike rack and an occasional trailer fom Uhaul for moving things around or bringing stuff home (I'm almost as dead set against buying a pickup as I am against a minivan). Now not to scare you off but a while ago, Acura did have an internal service bulletin regarding aftermarket towing harnesses causing electrical problems. Again, it would have to be proven by the dealer that the harness caused the issue before denying warranty work. Another consideration, and someone else would have to chime in here, is that the etrailer harness has one plug where as the factory harness adds fuses as well. I'm not sure of the additional functionality. Brake controller maybe?
regmack (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

No bumper removal. Drop the spare, lower the exhaust and use a strap to brace it...any guys you know that are mechanical?

The draw tite hitch I have is flush to the bumper. And in theory you should be able to put a full size spare in there according to etrailer.

It's not too bad. I thought about the dropping the exhaust part being a little intimidating, but my non mechanical other half supplied the muscle...I supplied the instructions and my logic.

In your case if you don't want to fuss...buy the oem hitch from a vendor like acktl05...then take it to the dealer for install.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 03-04-2012 at 09:04 PM.
regmack (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Cruisin'

Tltrigirl
THanks for the solid advice. I.ll check with the dealer about doing the install. I hope they are still as agreeable after the deal as before I signed
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Doesn't the factory tow package include a transmission oil cooler to protect your transmission when towing a heavy load or in high temperatures? If so, I would be concerned about buying an aftermarket hitch because you could damage your transmission if towing something heavy like a boat or camping trailer. If you are just using it for a bike rack then it's no big deal and you can go with the cheaper option.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by djwoody
Doesn't the factory tow package include a transmission oil cooler to protect your transmission when towing a heavy load or in high temperatures? If so, I would be concerned about buying an aftermarket hitch because you could damage your transmission if towing something heavy like a boat or camping trailer. If you are just using it for a bike rack then it's no big deal and you can go with the cheaper option.
i believe after 08 they built the cars with the trans cooler installed already in the car.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Just got confirmation today that the dealer does not install after market hitches. You can only get the full blown package from the dealer. The sales person said he had a list of local companies that could do the install for me.

Thanks everyone. I.ll post a follow up after I get "hitched!"
Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

that's BS. but w/e. guess the dealer doesn't want to make any money.

i've brought plenty of aftermarket parts to my dealer and had them installed (brake pads, rotors, tires, oil/filter). they never balked.

were you going to get an aftermarket hitch or an OEM hitch from a vendor on here???

anyway, i'm sure the hitch installer will be cheaper than what the dealer would have charged (arm and a leg). i know uhaul will install for $30-40.
regmack (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just installed hitch on my 2010

I just installed a hidden hitch that I purchased from etrailer last weekend. Not hard at all, DIY video was really helpful. From a cost savings standpoint I spent 180.00 for the hitch, 90.00 for the torque wrench and 1 hour of my time (and some minor cuts on my hand). Right now I'm just using it for a bike rack and in the future maybe a jet ski
regmack (03-05-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by regmack
Just purchased a 2012mdx and still tryng to decide which towing package. should I get the full tow package at the dealer? Or have it installed after market? My only reservation with after market risking damage during install and not having it warrantee

Any thoughts?
Dealer installed is a rip off. The Acura dealers in my area sell both the factory hitch and after market hitches. They had to start selling after market hitches because they were losing business to the after market installers.

Install is super easy. Only 8 bolts. Here is the install video:

The following 2 users liked this post by E92Vancouver:
ctsport (08-10-2012), Dennis in NH (08-01-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Cruisin'

i whimped out. for $60 UHaul is installing my after market two hitch.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Dealer installed is a rip off. The Acura dealers in my area sell both the factory hitch and after market hitches. They had to start selling after market hitches because they were losing business to the after market installers.

Install is super easy. Only 8 bolts. Here is the install video:

Doesn't look too bad. Only problem is that the hitch is heavy and I'd need a second set of hands for this installation. But, I'm guessing if we brought this to our dealer, install would be easy for them.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 08-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Does anyone have pictures they can share of installed hitch (OEM vs Aftermarket) or with a bike rack?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by dominik331
Does anyone have pictures they can share of installed hitch (OEM vs Aftermarket) or with a bike rack?
i have a draw tite/hidden hitch (one in the same). no mods to the bumper needed. it does tuck quite nicely under the car unlike the OEM hitch.

pics with bike rack:

rack folded

rack arms extended:

rack with bikes:

@dennis- the dealer is going to charge you 2-3 hrs in labor to install the hitch. find a buddy or another body to give you a helping hand to hold it in place...45 minutes with power tools...an hour with hand tools to install. if you haven't seen the video on etrailers for install...give it a peek.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the 2" hitch & wiring kit installed by my dealer at the time of purchase. The whole shebang cost me $400.

The dealer first said the installed price was nearly $700...I almost choked.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
i have a draw tite/hidden hitch (one in the same). no mods to the bumper needed. it does tuck quite nicely under the car unlike the OEM hitch.

pics with bike rack:

rack folded

rack arms extended:

rack with bikes:

@dennis- the dealer is going to charge you 2-3 hrs in labor to install the hitch. find a buddy or another body to give you a helping hand to hold it in place...45 minutes with power tools...an hour with hand tools to install. if you haven't seen the video on etrailers for install...give it a peek.
Thanks for the pics, that's exactly what I would like to set up.