Bumper Proximity Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bumper Proximity Sensors

I'm looking at buying a new 2012 MDX, but am wondering if anyone has had the bumper proximity sensors added to their MDX?

We currently have a Honda Odyssey and are used to having these on the large vehicle (both front and rear). They really do help with parking or pulling into the garage. I know the MDX has a rear view camera, but that can't help you in the front or if the lighting is quite dim. With painted bumpers, I'd hate to get a scratch on them.

From what I understand, I can get 'Acura brand' bumper sensors, but they are only on the rear, while if I get an aftermarket brand, I can have front and rear.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by marjenmiller
I'm looking at buying a new 2012 MDX, but am wondering if anyone has had the bumper proximity sensors added to their MDX?

We currently have a Honda Odyssey and are used to having these on the large vehicle (both front and rear). They really do help with parking or pulling into the garage. I know the MDX has a rear view camera, but that can't help you in the front or if the lighting is quite dim. With painted bumpers, I'd hate to get a scratch on them.

From what I understand, I can get 'Acura brand' bumper sensors, but they are only on the rear, while if I get an aftermarket brand, I can have front and rear.
I have them on the rear, pricey when you include dealer install, but a great addition IMO.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do not have them, dealer install item, with a cost of around $800, and only for the rear. There are several things that are factory direct from most manufacturers on even the basic vehicle, and parking sensors are one of them. Rediculously expensive as a dealer install item across the Acura line.
Mdx should have parking sensors, keyless entry and start, and a cold weather package that gives rear heated seats as an option without tying it to the RES.
Also, how about auto up down windows for the rear also.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kssod
Do not have them, dealer install item, with a cost of around $800, and only for the rear. There are several things that are factory direct from most manufacturers on even the basic vehicle, and parking sensors are one of them. Rediculously expensive as a dealer install item across the Acura line.
Mdx should have parking sensors, keyless entry and start, and a cold weather package that gives rear heated seats as an option without tying it to the RES.
Also, how about auto up down windows for the rear also.
But it doesn't, so if u want back up sensors, you must purchase and install, I was not comfortable attempting the install myself, it is about a 5-6 hour job for the dealer.

Back up sensors can be ordered through HandA at a good price, I asked my service mgr if they would match price, which they did and I negotiated down the price of the install.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
But it doesn't, so if u want back up sensors, you must purchase and install, I was not comfortable attempting the install myself, it is about a 5-6 hour job for the dealer.

Back up sensors can be ordered through HandA at a good price, I asked my service mgr if they would match price, which they did and I negotiated down the price of the install.

At what price did you get everything done?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by marjenmiller
At what price did you get everything done?
I saved about $400 from what dealer posted price was, I think dealer price was about 1200.

Findout what YOUR dealer charges per hour for shop labor, some are higher than others.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up an Audi/VW OEM parking assist kit on Ebay for $35. The kit is made in Italy and looks to be very good quality. I 'm planning to install this kit without removing the rear bumper. So far, it looks doable as I 've already drilled the holes for the sensors. The outside left and right sensor locations are easy to spot by looking/reaching up from underneath the mufflers. The two middle sensors are a little harder as you can not see from inside the bumper. Let me know if you want to do it yourself and need the exact measurement for all the sensor cut-out locations. Mine is a 2010 Advance with RES.

htd4555
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they save you one accident in the life of the car they will pay for themselves.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting....we appear to have those sensors (four round plugs with wire connectors to them?) in our rear bumper cover, but there has never been any indication that they are working. It's an '08 Tech with backup camera that we purchased used from the Acura dealer in 2009. Wonder if it's just a fuse or switch?