Bad Ebay/Acura Dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Ebay/Acura Dealer experience

I am so frustrated. I just had my first bad ebay purchase experience and it was with an Acura dealer as an ebay seller. Surely, Acura client services would want to know about a dealer that is not supporting the customer service we have all come to admire? Has anyone else had issues like this?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
What exactly happened?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
10th Gear

I live in Canada and ordered a rear cargo cover for my MDX. Paid immediately with PayPal but then was contacted by the vendor to say their shipping information was incorrect on ebay and because of size it now had to be shipped by UPS as opposed to US mail. I agreed to the change and it arrived to my home yesterday. Of course I had to pay about $45 in customs fees but I was aware of that issue.

I took the cover out of the box and went to install it in my MDX when I noticed the end of the rail was cracked. No damage whatsover to the shipping box. So I took a picture of the crack and installed the cover to see if the crack would prevent the unit from working and it did not.

So I went back to the vendor and advised about the crack and sent a picture. In response I was told this was not their problem. I asked if there was not a warranty on Acura parts and I was told I voided the warranty because I installed it. If anyone has one of these - you know it just clips in behind the second seat.

So I called the Director of parts and was basically told the same thing - they have absolutely no responsuibulity becasue as far as they are concerned it was perfect when it left their dealership. So I should contact UPS. UPS did not pack this item, it was packed by the dealership, hence why it was too big for US mail.

I have never encountered such a negative attitude - the guy could care less - not his issue - and I never did ask for anything - I will just glue it but Acura should care!!!!

My only option is to leave negative feedback on ebay which will be a first for me.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Considering you paid through Paypal, doesn't Paypal offer a buyer protection plan? I believe they do.

I'd first contact Paypal and go from there. I assume you didn't get the UPS insurance, but then again, it sounds like it's a principle issue with you as well (the Acura dealer not taking responsibility).

Does it look like it could crack via shipping? You mentioned there was no damage to the box...obviously we can't see it, but it sounds like a cargo cover would be difficult to damage without damaging the outer box.

Same thing happened to me years ago with a baseball Bobble-head I bought for my wife. It was so protected with bubble-wrap and there was no signs of damage on the box, yet the helmet was cracked. The owner claimed the same thing: "not my problem, contact UPS".

This kind of crap + gas prices are why shipping costs are so high. A-holes.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Cutlass442
I live in Canada and ordered a rear cargo cover for my MDX. Paid immediately with PayPal but then was contacted by the vendor to say their shipping information was incorrect on ebay and because of size it now had to be shipped by UPS as opposed to US mail. I agreed to the change and it arrived to my home yesterday. Of course I had to pay about $45 in customs fees but I was aware of that issue.

I took the cover out of the box and went to install it in my MDX when I noticed the end of the rail was cracked. No damage whatsover to the shipping box. So I took a picture of the crack and installed the cover to see if the crack would prevent the unit from working and it did not.

So I went back to the vendor and advised about the crack and sent a picture. In response I was told this was not their problem. I asked if there was not a warranty on Acura parts and I was told I voided the warranty because I installed it. If anyone has one of these - you know it just clips in behind the second seat.

So I called the Director of parts and was basically told the same thing - they have absolutely no responsuibulity becasue as far as they are concerned it was perfect when it left their dealership. So I should contact UPS. UPS did not pack this item, it was packed by the dealership, hence why it was too big for US mail.

I have never encountered such a negative attitude - the guy could care less - not his issue - and I never did ask for anything - I will just glue it but Acura should care!!!!

My only option is to leave negative feedback on ebay which will be a first for me.
Sounds like the "You're in Canada and we're in the US and you probably won't buy anything from us again" syndrome. Yes, contact PayPal and good luck. The Acura dealership is not going to do anything.

Last edited by Rexorg; 06-09-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
10th Gear

Understand that the damage is something I can live with? My point is, I cannot understand the dealer/vendor response - I did not ask for anything but I expected they would express some concern: the fact that they were exactly opposite amazes me in terms of what Acura claims as customer service. The bottom line is I do not want other customers to expect Acura service from this vendor; these guys are nuts and I will do whatever I can to get the message out. If they had said, we are sorry, I would move on. Right now, I will do a commercial!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Cutlass442

Wow, what dealership is this? I would suggest that if you want it taken care of, go to your local acura dealer and tell them you ordered it and it came cracked. Acura warranties their accessories against defects so your local dealer may just give you a new one and send the old one back.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Wow, what dealership is this? I would suggest that if you want it taken care of, go to your local acura dealer and tell them you ordered it and it came cracked. Acura warranties their accessories against defects so your local dealer may just give you a new one and send the old one back.
I agree, try a local dealership to see if they would be willing to help you out. Also a call to Acura Customer Care about the issue couldn't hurt.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:48 PM
10th Gear

I sent a letter to Acura Customer Service - will let you know if I get a response...

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Cruisin'

for reference, which dealer is this?

go canucks go!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts