Additional Switchblade Key for 2012 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 02:26 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional Switchblade Key for 2012 MDX

I’ve used an online knockoff seller to replace a 2014 Mazda key. Bought it from the Walmart site actually (about 70 bucks for TWO SWITCHBLADE blanks) I think. I took up them to a local AUTOMOTIVE locksmith where he cut and programmed the key less than 40 bucks) saved hundreds of dollars versus walking into the dealership and saying “I lost my key, can you fix me up? (Over $200 per key)

has anyone used a particular online seller for the 2012 MDX switchblade keys? Is there anything special (= diabolical) about Acura that makes my Mazda experience impossible? Or will I be able to waltz into that same locksmith with the knockoff blanks and waltz back out with a working key? I can see the keys online, the first ones that come up on Amazon have terrible reviews. Would like to get some advice and use a seller that enthusiasts have used. Thanks in advance
Old 03-06-2020, 05:17 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew W
I’ve used an online knockoff seller to replace a 2014 Mazda key. Bought it from the Walmart site actually (about 70 bucks for TWO SWITCHBLADE blanks) I think. I took up them to a local AUTOMOTIVE locksmith where he cut and programmed the key less than 40 bucks) saved hundreds of dollars versus walking into the dealership and saying “I lost my key, can you fix me up? (Over $200 per key)

has anyone used a particular online seller for the 2012 MDX switchblade keys? Is there anything special (= diabolical) about Acura that makes my Mazda experience impossible? Or will I be able to waltz into that same locksmith with the knockoff blanks and waltz back out with a working key? I can see the keys online, the first ones that come up on Amazon have terrible reviews. Would like to get some advice and use a seller that enthusiasts have used. Thanks in advance
I have no personal experience with an aftermarket key but customers that roll through with aftermarket keys on older models usually have problems. Just had one last week where the immobilizer wouldn't recognize the key, reprogrammed it and it was fine.

Idk if it's just because I work at a dealership now or my outlook has changed but I think most aftermarket things are trash...the way the way I look at it is you buy an expensive car, expect expensive repairs if you want it right! That's not to say that there may not be a good alternative out there. 😁
Old 03-06-2020, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appreciate the perspective but I'll disagree. I like and appreciate the Acura extras I've had an Integra GS-R and still own a TL. I know that a OE stereo headunit or seat or console is going to cost big bucks, but more than 50 buck of a key is just gouging. The technology isn't that expensive (as proven by my mazda key, and charging comeone hundreds of dollars to unlock and start their car is bull$h!t.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by acuratech481
I have no personal experience with an aftermarket key but customers that roll through with aftermarket keys on older models usually have problems. Just had one last week where the immobilizer wouldn't recognize the key, reprogrammed it and it was fine.

Idk if it's just because I work at a dealership now or my outlook has changed but I think most aftermarket things are trash...the way the way I look at it is you buy an expensive car, expect expensive repairs if you want it right! That's not to say that there may not be a good alternative out there. 😁

I went to a dealer to get a key programmed for my 2011, they flat out refused to program the aftermarket key because they said they've had too many issues. Whatever, I just returned the aftermarket key and ponied up the money.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
at acuraoemparts.com the key is about $92 and your local honda dealer can program it to the car for around $90.