2G MDX windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2G MDX windshield replacement?

I recently took a trip to Kansas City in my 2010 MDX, and on the way down, a truck threw up a rock which hit my windshield and cracked it. On the MDXer's forum, there was a post about windshield replacement, in which the OP said that he found an acoustic and electrochromic mirror replacement windshield for his 2011 Advance model. My MDX is not an Advance, it's a Tech/Entertainment model, so I was wondering if there is something different in the windshields between the two models, or if all models have the same windshield. To be honest, this is the first time I've heard of an "acoustic, electrochromic" windshield...so I'm trying to educate myself before going out and just having Safelite put a windshield in my X. Would appreciate your input on this...I've already figured out that Safelite is not who I want to put my windshield in.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Never heard of this glass but would be interested…i own a 2012 Advance and have a chip as well, whats wrong with safelite?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
FYI

The following users liked this post:
litespd (01-04-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Drifting

Inaddtion to oe windshiels, any camera monted to the windshield or behind the windshield must be recalibrated by the dealer or a certified recalibration service.

Same goes for lane departure equipment behind the front grill if replaced (oe grill only)... recalibration.

Please check with your dealership.

Last edited by 01acls; 01-03-2016 at 11:42 PM.
litespd (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mr.Tea
Never heard of this glass but would be interested…i own a 2012 Advance and have a chip as well, whats wrong with safelite?

Mr.Tea, I read in a thread somewhere that Safelite does not use OEM glass, that they use an inferior brand. One person in the thread said that they had Safelite replace their windshield, and there were noticeable flaws in the glass. One person stated that he had Safelite glass put in, and within a couple of years, it cracked and had to be replaced again. Not sure if this was just coincidence, or due to an inferior windshield being installed. As I understand it, PPG is the OE manufacturer for Acura glass, and Pilkington is the OE manufacturer for Honda glass. Not sure why they'd use two different manufacturers for the glass, but that's what was stated. One person said that he had his windshield replaced with PPG glass, but after 25,000 miles, the glass looked like it was sandblasted, as it was filled with small pits from gravel. They had a Pilkington windshield put in, and it's held up much better, and resisted the "sandblasted" appearance much better, than the PPG glass. I checked an online Acura parts catalog, and for the 2010, I only see one windshield listed, but wasn't sure if there was some difference due to the Tech/Entertainment package with its upgraded sound system or not...and the "acoustic and electrochromic mirror" quote from a poster on MDXers.com got me scrambling to see if there was or was not a difference.

Originally Posted by 01acls
Inaddtion to oe windshiels, any camera monted to the windshield or behind the windshield must be recalibrated by the dealer or a certified recalibration service.

Same goes for lane departure equipment behind the front grill if replaced (oe grill only)... recalibration.

Please check with your dealership.

Thank you very much for the post you made earlier, with the information from Honda on the glass. As my MDX is a 2010, it appears that it does not apply to it, so I'm assuming that the windshield on all 2010's is the same. I plan on calling my local Acura dealer, though, to see if they can verify that.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Let me know what you find out from the dealer
Originally Posted by litespd
Mr.Tea, I read in a thread somewhere that Safelite does not use OEM glass, that they use an inferior brand. One person in the thread said that they had Safelite replace their windshield, and there were noticeable flaws in the glass. One person stated that he had Safelite glass put in, and within a couple of years, it cracked and had to be replaced again. Not sure if this was just coincidence, or due to an inferior windshield being installed. As I understand it, PPG is the OE manufacturer for Acura glass, and Pilkington is the OE manufacturer for Honda glass. Not sure why they'd use two different manufacturers for the glass, but that's what was stated. One person said that he had his windshield replaced with PPG glass, but after 25,000 miles, the glass looked like it was sandblasted, as it was filled with small pits from gravel. They had a Pilkington windshield put in, and it's held up much better, and resisted the "sandblasted" appearance much better, than the PPG glass. I checked an online Acura parts catalog, and for the 2010, I only see one windshield listed, but wasn't sure if there was some difference due to the Tech/Entertainment package with its upgraded sound system or not...and the "acoustic and electrochromic mirror" quote from a poster on MDXers.com got me scrambling to see if there was or was not a difference.

Thank you very much for the post you made earlier, with the information from Honda on the glass. As my MDX is a 2010, it appears that it does not apply to it, so I'm assuming that the windshield on all 2010's is the same. I plan on calling my local Acura dealer, though, to see if they can verify that.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:19 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
there is a thread on windshield replacement for 3G TLs. Point of this thread is to show that there are different levels of glass. safelite glass is junk. All Acuras have acoustic glass. if you look at the badge in the corner of the windshield there is a stamp with the Acura "A" and the manufacturer that made the windshield and a bunch of codes. IF you want the exact same piece of glass you should be able to get it without the "A" badge but all codes etc are identical. I have replaced the windshield on my TL with the exact same piece of glass without the Honda badge (which was what was originally on the glass of my 05).

My 09 MDX windshield is made by AGC automotive. It has the Acura "A" also badged on it. It should possible to get OEM glass without the "A" at half the price of the one with the "A".

PPG and Pilkington are reputable brands. if you go this route, be sure the glass has the acoustic layer otherwise you will have excessive road noise. safelite glass is reverse engineered and will most likely not have the acoustic layer (OEE glass).
litespd (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 05:48 PM
Drifting

^ Can you plz post the Codes or a pic of the Codes?

Is it AS1? If it is that A has nothing to do with Acura. That's a coincidence.

Last edited by 01acls; 01-17-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:33 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^^The Acura A logo is stamped along with the glass manufacturer plus their codes (at least it should be if it's still the OG windshield).

The OG glass in a 3G TL is made by AP tech.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-817643/page3/

see post 87

04-06 TLs have Honda stamps (on all the glass). Anything 07 or newer has Acura stamps.

i can try and get a pic later of the MDX.
litespd (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Drifting

^ I have to burst your auto glass bubble. That link is out dated and most of that info is no longer valid. Safelite is AP Tech Glass.

The "AS - 1, 2, or 3" I was referring to is the standardize rating of auto glass in America. It tells you what kind of glass it is and where it can be use on an automobiles.

AS1 - Shall be use in front of the driver (windshields) or anywhere on the automobile but usually not due to cost.

AS2 - Next to the driver and back.

AS3 - Behind the driver.

Last edited by 01acls; 01-18-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:46 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^it is the DOT codes I am referring to on the windshield, not the AS 1 etc. codes.

In the 3rd pic with the Audi badge... the Acura badge would be located in the same location on the ACG glass that "A".

So its a good thing my windshield was replaced before the merger. Hope Satellite upholds the quality standards for the OEM glass side of things versus their OEE glass under their own name.

The press release does say ACG will continue to also manufacture AP tech glass.

In any case the main OEM glass manufacturers are ACG, PPG, and Pilkington. This has all been informative.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had my windshield replaced by safelite on my '11 MDX about 3 months ago. No issues with it so far and it seems great. Also it was Pilkington glass that was put in. Paid under $300 for the whole thing out of pocket. Get a quote and wait about a week. Discounts keep coming your way. I have no complaints. And an OEM windshield from them would've cost $1400. No thanks.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the replies. This has been an informative thread. As it stands now, my insurance company has told me that I can have the windshield installed wherever I want...no mention of me paying anything more than just my $100 deductible. I contacted my local Acura dealer, and they quoted me around $1000 for everything, and they order their glass from Acura, so it would be an OEM windshield. I will keep everyone posted on what happens. I've told the insurance company that I want to wait until Spring to have it installed...with the sand and gravel that they spread on the roads here in the wintertime, I'd hate to have a new windshield installed, just to have the same thing happen again.