3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
pilkington is the worst glass. I can get windshields installed for 125 with pilkington. Gets rock chips so easily
Old 06-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
I actually just looked and I guess the windshield that's cracked on my car is already a pilkington. Might try and get it repaired since its not that big of a crack
Old 06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced on my 04 TL. I was told it was AP Tech and it has the AGC Automotive logo. All of the numbers match the original windshield except for the m number. The original glass had a number of M8341 and the replacement has M8H41. So I'm not sure if I received the same glass or not. Has anyone had their windshield replaced recently with the AGC logo?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Pk04TL
I just had my windshield replaced on my 04 TL. I was told it was AP Tech and it has the AGC Automotive logo. All of the numbers match the original windshield except for the m number. The original glass had a number of M8341 and the replacement has M8H41. So I'm not sure if I received the same glass or not. Has anyone had their windshield replaced recently with the AGC logo?
Yes, that is the AP Tech glass, I have the exact same one.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got off the phone with my insurance co., USAA, and they pretty much told me what a bunch of you have already stated. They will not replace my windshield with an AP Tech glass. But they also said that they will not use Safelite also. So on Thursday, in goes a PGW windshield.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinistr
I just got off the phone with my insurance co., USAA, and they pretty much told me what a bunch of you have already stated. They will not replace my windshield with an AP Tech glass. But they also said that they will not use Safelite also. So on Thursday, in goes a PGW windshield.
I had to be insistent with USAA, but I got my dealer glass

Don't take "no" for an answer. (This was over 2 years ago with a single car on my policy and a $250 comprehensive deductible, no accidents or previous claims for 5+ years). YMMV?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

None of my windows have Acura on it. My 2006 Acura TL has all Honda on every window. K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO-eiwz4zc.jpg
Old 06-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by St3althW4rrior
None of my windows have Acura on it. My 2006 Acura TL has all Honda on every window.
After 2006 basically 2007 and up they started etching Acura on all glass and windshields.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
After 2006 basically 2007 and up they started etching Acura on all glass and windshields.
For windshields, that is only on Dealer Glass. Non-dealer glass will not have the Acura logo.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
For windshields, that is only on Dealer Glass. Non-dealer glass will not have the Acura logo.
Right.. thought it was understood in this thread that all non-dealer glass won't have any OEM logos on it Acura or Honda.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by tj19855
You are correct!
I'm a windshield repair technician, I fix all types of windshield glass, the worse are the Chinese brand windshields. They are very thin, they will have the waves, and they will easily crack.

Because is oem it doesn't mean is better most Japanese cars have really thin windshields, I recommend y'all go with Pilkington and PPG.

Sometimes after getting a new windshield even if they use an oem windshield, you might hear the wind or get leaks, this is why you have to get a warranty, after removing the factory seal is never the same again.

Il.
Use Pilkington and PPG

By the way that crack could been repaired with out replacement, we fix up to 24 inches.

Geico is the worse insurance company for windshield replacement and repair
Correct..

Not Sure What The Big Hype is. My OEM windshield had waves from hell in it. Hell all glass does. Granted some are worse than others. The AP tech brand is just about faded out the FW02452 GBN part , only what's left in stock from glass distributors.

Last edited by REDT2; 06-30-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So after not replacing my windshield for 2 years literally because I was overwhelmed with all this window fuss (ie risk of receiving inferior product) I finally pulled the trigger. I contacted Safelite and got Pilkington. I inspected the glass before it went in and was satisfied. The thickness almost seemed thicker than the APtech (no acura logo) that was in there before. The tint looks the same and so does everything else about the glass. The molding they used is different from stock but doesn’t bother me, it still looks good. The only thing I’m unhappy about is that after replacing the windshield washers today I noticed one of the plastic studs was broken off from the window cowl. If anybody can refer me to this part it would be much appreciated. Check out the pics.
Attached Thumbnails K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO-screen-shot-2014-08-26-8.03.52-pm.png   K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO-screen-shot-2014-08-26-8.03.43-pm.png   K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO-screen-shot-2014-08-26-8.03.35-pm.png   K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO-screen-shot-2014-08-26-8.03.27-pm.png  
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Racer

I finally gave in and replaced my cracked Pilkington with a PWG windshield after finding it impossible to get an APTech.

The installation process was a pain in the ass. DO NOT get mobile service, as the installer knows & can do nothing beyond removal & installations.
I was informed, after he already had the old windshield out of the car, that a little bit of surface rust voids all warantees, which I had, and he then still wanted to go ahead and install the windshield. The 2 options he gave me was to get the car towed to his body shop and they could fix it there or... install the windshield now & then drive to a body shop later & have them remove the new windshield and clear the rust, & then reinstall it.

I wasn't present when the windshield was being installed, which was my 2nd mistake beside having it done mobile, but I said to come back after the weekend & i'll have it cleared up.

There literally was the smallest amount of surface rust coloration due to the 4 metal nails, on each pillar, that hold the clips which attached the molding to the car. I sanded this down and the coloration was cleared up easily.

The guy came back and then gave me the warranty. The windshield does look amazing. I just assumed it was their job to clear up any glue or surface rust. My car has seen only 1/2 a winter in it's 8 year life and shouldnt see any others as long as it's in my possession. I'm hoping the PGW holds up better than the previous windshield did.

Last edited by mvp2765; 08-27-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:45 AM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
PPG Acoustic

Originally Posted by Gurajit
I went to my local Acura dealership and had the glass replaced with a OEM generic. They use Pilkington and PPG there. I made sure to ask for an acoustic barrier. Thankfully my friend works there and she HOOKED it up as far as cost goes. The glass guy charged me $100 on the side and the actual glass with her discount was an unbelievable $87, for PPG Acoustic layer glass. It's fantastic. No waves, no awful sounds and perfect tint and fit everywhere. Overall I'm super happy. I'd recommend the PPG glass for sure. While I know many of you guys won't be able to get the hookup maybe look into some of your local Acura dealerships if they have a glass department.

You're right on. PPG is now PGW and the same great company. My replacement PGW glass is OEM Specs with the Acoustic interlayer and slight tint green (Solargreen). It is also a Weathermaster. It's a very nice windshield like you said, I really like it too. I don't even think my original AP Tech glass had all this in it! It is an amazing looking windshield.

Last edited by StealthTL-S; 12-12-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Racer

My update with PGW. I think it looks more durable and better than the pilkington, however, I actually got another chip less than a month of getting the new one installed. I was so pissed. I went ahead and got it drilled and filled right away though before it became a crack.

Last edited by mvp2765; 12-12-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSVT
If as anybody reading this is in the KC area and needs a windshield replaced, I highly recommend Santa Fe Glass (| Santa Fe Glass)

What an experience, but I am happy it is over. I have attached the pic of the stamp on the defective glass, it was located on the passenger side lower corner as opposed to the AP Tech being on the driver's side. It is nice to see that stamp again when driving, that's for sure!

Hope this can help somebody, hold your ground, insist on the AP Tech if you can't get the dealer glass!
They don't mention car glass on website anymore....may have to look elsewhere. Thanks for the experience recounting.

Also from reading much threads it appears that AP Tech is now called ACG/AGC and this is the closest to OEM without dealer glass (has Acura logo).

There is some opinion about so called OEM-spec brands like PPG/Pilkington/etc. that claims to be OEM but some feel these are inferior and that one should insist on AP Tech or dealer (if you can afford/insruance will cover).

Originally Posted by mvp2765
So PPG distributor is out of stock and I can't find AP TECH anywhere in Chicago. The dealer quoted me $1,250.00 with installation & taxes.
Ouch. Dealer glass is insanely expensive it seems. I'm tempted to call the dealer just to ask about a quote but I had thought it may not THAT bad but.....>$1000 is definitely not worth that OEM logo. Better to go for a OEM glass installed by an independent shop than the dealer....

This week was hot and cold and had lot of large temp fluctuations...so a stress fracture started on my windshield....now onto the fun job of looking for a windshield replacement.

Safelite apparently has mixed reviews....many Yelp/general online forums that I looked at (Yelp, KC forums, reddit, etc.) have AMAZING tales to say about Safelite...mostly due to its lower price.

But on enthusiast forums like this one Safelite has quite bad rep due to inability to often understand enthusiast insistance on OEM or OEM-equivalent brands/glass. So might need to stay away from Safelite (the wal mart of car glass it seems)....

If anyone has recs in KC area for windshield installers or updates on windshield knowledge of the 3G TL....it seems that I need to insist on AP Tech/ACG/AGC glass.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

An update to windshield replacement for 3G TL from my experience today.

Called about 6-7 auto glass places. Struck out any that did not know the brand or didn't have AGC-brand (formerly known as AP Tech or may also be known as Asahi since full name is Asahi Glass Company out of Japan) which AGC is the OEM for Honda/Acura glass. (as far as our 3G TL goes.....possibly other OEMs used by Honda/Acura. I did seen an ad for Pilkington while I was flipping through magazines at the shop that said Pilkington does supply Honda with OEM windshields....)

Safelite is the most popular/biggest auto glass replacement/repair in the nation BUT they have their own in-house aftermarket brand which is what I did NOT want.

There are several tiers of windshields from my research:
1 - Dealer glass / OEM with automotive logo. Most expensive, obviously. Can only be ordered from dealers and comes with the auto manufacturer's logo (Honda, Toyota, etc.) etched to the glass. Some dealers outsource windshield installation to local shops and some do have in-house glass work. Prices are extremely high. Dealer estimate for my 06 TL was $1100 for all parts/labor/tax.
If I wanted to install dealer glass through a independent local shop, again with the Honda logo, estimates were about $860. (Dealer glass apparently is about $700 for our 3G TLs).

The glass shop I was talking to said they sold a dude who INSISTED on OEM with logo glass for his Lexus and paid $1400 when he could've paid $250 (the OEM glass is exactly the same except without the Lexus logo....)

This is likely for those who super deep pockets or want all original stuff for sentimental/resale/whatever reason. Not required for most of us.

Here is a photo of my original windshield glass stamping:

2 - OEM sourced glass without logo. This is the exact same manufacturer with the exact same glass coming out of the factory that would be shipped to various car makers EXCEPT without the car maker logos. The best combination of quality and price. You essentially get OEM glass at a substantial discount. I was able to find AGC glass from a local shop, and it was $259 installed.
This is the AGC oem glass w/o the Honda logo that I got as replacement: (remember that AP Tech is same as AGC or in some glass shop computers may show up as "Asahi")

3 - OEE (OEM Equivalent). This, from my readings, are almost as good as OEM but simply from a different glass factory. So instead of AGC, there are several other glass manufacturers...popular ones I heard when I was calling for my 3G TL were: PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) and also Pilkington. Now note that these companies COULD ALSO make OEM glass for other car makers as well...so even though they are not OEM for our 3G TL, they may be OEM for other car brands (they are not total knock offs). So quality can still be fairly high, but obviously go for OEM if possible.
The shop rep said that Pilkington do make Lexus OEM glass as well.

4 - Safelite/aftermarket brands. These are simply reverse engineering efforts by non-OEM companies to manufacture glass. Safelite is probably the biggest as I was flipping through an auto glass repair industry trade magazine while I was waiting at the shop. These are usually recommended by enthusiasts to stay away from.

source: http://www.horizonabq.com/dealer-oem...eld-riorancho/

Now all of the above, per glass shop rep, are DOT certified. Since windshield is part of the structural integrity of the car, DOT/NHTSA has to approve any glass that is aftermarket to go through an approval process before it can be sold to the public. So even though we in the enthusiast community like to stay away from aftermarket/Safelite...they are probably "OK" if there are no other options in your neighborhood.

A quick couple of photos of original glass manufacturers as I found in one of the auto glass repair trade magazines the shop had lying around.
These are likely OEMs (notice the lack of Safelite...which is an aftermarket brand, Pilkington makes glass for Lexus as confirmed by my shop rep so Pilkington along with AGC are OEM brands it seems)

A&I Products
AGC
Carlex
Guardian Custom Glass Solutions
Kryger
Nordglass
Pilkington
Xinyi

source: AGRR Magazine Online Buyer's Guide

I hope this helps with those in the future who, like me, went searching for windshield info and found this useful thread and hopefully this helps my fellow AZiners and others who may need info/guidance on windshield glass replacement in the future.

Last edited by nist7; 10-10-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Race Director

^^^^ all good except that OEE glass IS aftermarket and guaranteed only to meet DOT standards, not OEM standards. See post #15.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

^^^^ all good except that OEE glass IS aftermarket and guaranteed only to meet DOT standards, not OEM standards. See post #15.
Hmm, thanks for clearing that up. Looks like OEE/aftermarket should be lumped into same category. Really need to look for OEM glass then if possible.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by nist7
Hmm, thanks for clearing that up. Looks like OEE/aftermarket should be lumped into same category. Really need to look for OEM glass then if possible.
OEE may meet OEM standards (but probably not), but it will at least meet DOT standards.

In other news which I was not aware of:

https://www.safelite.com/about-safel...ss-windshields

Yikes!! So is this glass only OEE with the AGC logo or is it OEM distributor glass with the AGC logo?? And how do we tell if it's from the Safelight factory and not the AGC factory?
nist7 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

OEE may meet OEM standards (but probably not), but it will at least meet DOT standards.

In other news which I was not aware of:

https://www.safelite.com/about-safel...ss-windshields

Yikes!! So is this glass only OEE with the AGC logo or is it OEM distributor glass with the AGC logo?? And how do we tell if it's from the Safelight factory and not the AGC factory?
Damn....that is quite an interesting find.

From the first paragraph it seems that Safelite glass can basically be sold with AGC stamping since they mentioned they can sell and make glass under the AGC brand.

Now here's another kicker. After a quick google of Safelite and AGC....there is another news piece JUST out in August of 2016 that the same plant mentioned in your link is GOING TO BE CLOSED by Safelite before end of this year. Safelite mentions "strategic" reasons and also the continuing complexity of auto glass.

Basically as of 2016 Safelite will STOP making their own glass!!! This is HUGE news. The author asks the CEO what to do with the tons of glass they make...and he just said they will find some supplier...presumably they'll outsource their Safelite logo onto another supplier to make.....quality may suffer again....

News link here: Safelite to Close Enfield Plant and Exit Automotive Glass Manufacturing | glassBYTEs.com

Safelite AutoGlass, the nation’s largest automotive glass installation company, will close its plant in Enfield, N.C., and cease manufacturing automotive glass parts before the end of the year. Officials say the decision was based on the increased complexity—and cost—of manufacturing such parts as their complexity and number of different types are expected to increase rapidly in the future....

When asked if the decision had anything to do with quality issues surrounding parts coming out of the plant, Feeney said no. “Absolutely not, the quality in that plant stood up against anyone’s. It was excellent. It was good enough for AGC to allow us to imprint products with their logo. We made that plant as OE-like as possible and we are very proud of that,” he said. “It’s another one of those untrue industry myths that there were quality issues there.”
Feeney is Safelite CEO. And it's obvious that there may be quality issues. And the CEO himself says their glass was allowed by AGC to be stamped AGC and that their plant is "OE-like."

SO essentially it is OEE/aftermarket glass disguised as OEM.

Damn. So my AGC glass likely have been manufactured by Safelite...but only with the AGC logo. It may be impossible to tell unless you have access to AGC/Safelite's internal product/serial numbers I would imagine.....

Sigh. Let's just hope all the AGC windshields hold up well. I am not happy at all with this new revelation and the deception it causes to knowledgeable consumers such as ourselves.

This adds another level of complexity. It may also be why my AGC glass was also quite cheap....basically my work order showed that my AGC glass was only $120.

Last edited by nist7; 10-11-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:08 AM
4th Gear

^^^Did anybody figure out answer for this?

Got a rock hit on the windshield and it cracked over 2 days. I had zero chips in 10 years and it was sad see the factory glass go. Called a few shops in SoCal, mostly OC and most of them were only quoting OEE glass. When asked about PGW, or AGC, the common answer was they were all now made in China and was no different from the one they were offering. Pilkington is apparently made in Mexico per one of the shops I talked to. One of the top rated glass shops on Yelp/Google reviews in OC area offered FYG as the one they use and is manufactured in Ohio (Fuyao Glass America). Since I was in a hurry to get the glass installed before the weekend, I went ahead and had them put it in for $215. The main thing this person sold me on was that this was made in USA. Then I found DOT number search : glassBYTEs/AGRR Magazine DOT Number Database. Looking up DOT-459 got me: Fujian Yanhua Glass Industry, Co., Ltd. vs. I was sold on Fuyao Glass America which should have been DOT-1038. I will call the glass shop tomorrow and try to get some clarification.

FWIW, the AP Tech glass has DOT-376 for AGC Automotive Americas.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tweaker9

Got a rock hit on the windshield and it cracked over 2 days. I had zero chips in 10 years and it was sad see the factory glass go. Called a few shops in SoCal, mostly OC and most of them were only quoting OEE glass. When asked about PGW, or AGC, the common answer was they were all now made in China and was no different from the one they were offering. Pilkington is apparently made in Mexico per one of the shops I talked to. One of the top rated glass shops on Yelp/Google reviews in OC area offered FYG as the one they use and is manufactured in Ohio (Fuyao Glass America). Since I was in a hurry to get the glass installed before the weekend, I went ahead and had them put it in for $215. The main thing this person sold me on was that this was made in USA. Then I found DOT number search : glassBYTEs/AGRR Magazine DOT Number Database. Looking up DOT-459 got me: Fujian Yanhua Glass Industry, Co., Ltd. vs. I was sold on Fuyao Glass America which should have been DOT-1038. I will call the glass shop tomorrow and try to get some clarification.

I read enough to go for OEM b/c of how it impacts the ride and rigidity of the car including the sound. A few years ago, a local windshield shop found the exact APTech glass WITHOUT the Honda name on it...but exact same specs. A few months ago, I had another crack and used Safelight but had them get approval from my insurance company to buy OEM...and they did. So I'm back to Honda OEM again. I've ready comments about non OEM glass and fit on the car...or distortion.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tweaker9

Hey Fujian! My home province in China. While I take pride in my hometown heritage, I'm not nearly as enthusiastic as their manufacturing quality....especially a critical structural component such as a windshield.

Looks like you got jibbed with that OEE glass and wasn't an OEM brand.

From my experience at the shop. Windshield industry magazine showed the following as USA manufacturers:

A&I Products
AGC Automotive Americas
Carlex
Guardian Custom Glass Solutions
Kryger
Nordglass
Pilkington
Xinyi Auto Glass North America

I don't know why you went with FYG but that DOT number is certainly NOT OEM-brand. I'm not sure if those glass shop reps know more than we enthusiasts with our Google-fu. I would NOT go with a weird branded glass. And there is no clear evidence that Safelite makes glass for AGC with AGC stamping and as public consumers we'll never know these kinds of very specific industry information.

So IMO, the best practice is to avoid Safelite stamped glass (at the very least) and stick with what appears to be known OEM-brand glass: AGC or Pilkington are two known entities.

Wish you best of luck.

Also, just because they sell you that brand doesn't mean it's what they say it is. Everyone and their grandma knows that automotive-related sales industry is known for unscrupulous practices and many salesmen are not actually knowledgeable about the products they sell.

Originally Posted by USNA93
I read enough to go for OEM b/c of how it impacts the ride and rigidity of the car including the sound. A few years ago, a local windshield shop found the exact APTech glass WITHOUT the Honda name on it...but exact same specs. A few months ago, I had another crack and used Safelight but had them get approval from my insurance company to buy OEM...and they did. So I'm back to Honda OEM again. I've ready comments about non OEM glass and fit on the car...or distortion.
Yes, windshield is considered a critical structural/safety component in a car. If you can afford/insurance approve dealer glass, always go for dealer glass with the OEM stamp.
Otherwise the best we can do is try to find OEM brands that's as equivalent/close as the dealer glass....just without the Honda stamp.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
^^^ Why you no faith in the people? J/K I once had safelite install cheap china glass and end up regret.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
I had mine replaced under insurance for "free" well covered by an included glass insurance but they would only use aftermarket glass. I got one made by Fuyao and I get a lot of wind noise from it. Other than that I can live with all of the other little things about it that are not the same as OEM. I just make sure to put on the AC on high or turn up the radio if I'm going on the highway now.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey guys...great thread.

Im getting a PGW for 240 installed and Pilkington for 290 installed (canadian $).

BOTH shops claim each of the respective brands make Acura windshields etc.

Are our (07 TL) windshields equipped with rain sensors etc and would i lose that funtionality if i go with either of these two brands...

I dont mind paying the extra 50 bucks for the Pilkington but dont see anything special in the reports i read on the Pilkington vs the PGW...so any thoughts before i pull the trigger?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
I figured I would post my experience for those looking for glass replacement.

I've driven with this windshield for about a month and I haven't been able to notice any differences in noise between the OEM glass, and this glass. They seem to be equally able at blocking out wind noise and other noise. There were no noticeable waves in the glass and the solar band across the top and the windshield trim looked the same. The glass itself seemed pretty resistant against stone chips as well as I had a couple of occasions where random stones hit my windshield (not from following closely), and I heard it but it left no visible marks. Overall, I have no complaints thus far and if I had to replace the glass again (I really hope not), I would not hesitate to go with another PGW Soundmaster replacement glass.

I have attached a picture of the label on the glass:
Attachment 99689
Old 05-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
I'm bumping a lovely thread here because I endured a rock chip last fall that has now evolved into a 6-7 inch crack.

I will contact my insurance company to first get a quote for DEALER glass and then OEM DISTRIBUTOR glass. I'm not settling for Aftermarket or Original Equipment Equivalent glass. My journey begins shortly. Wish me luck everyone.!

With regards to the seals and other items, would you all recommend that I go ahead and also purchase the following:
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...er=73126sepa00

04731-SEP-000
Rubber Set, Front Windshield Dam
73150-SEP-A01
Molding, Front Windshield
91568-SDA-A01
Clip, Windshield (Upper)
73126-SEP-A00
Seal, Front Windshield (Upper)

In total, it looks like these additional parts would only cost like $50 extra.

Last edited by wusty23jd; 05-23-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by wusty23jd
I'm bumping a lovely thread here because I endured a rock chip last fall that has now evolved into a 6-7 inch crack.

I will contact my insurance company to first get a quote for DEALER glass and then OEM DISTRIBUTOR glass. I'm not settling for Aftermarket or Original Equipment Equivalent glass. My journey begins shortly. Wish me luck everyone.!

With regards to the seals and other items, would you all recommend that I go ahead and also purchase the following:
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...er=73126sepa00

04731-SEP-000
Rubber Set, Front Windshield Dam
73150-SEP-A01
Molding, Front Windshield
91568-SDA-A01
Clip, Windshield (Upper)
73126-SEP-A00
Seal, Front Windshield (Upper)

In total, it looks like these additional parts would only cost like $50 extra.
Why are you so adamant about having Acura glass?
Old 05-23-2019, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I think he wanted OEM supplier because we have great experience with them and they almost impossible to find at your local (even in Houston no one carry them). Our vendor won't ship the glass and Pilkington is the next best thing.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:08 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by truonghthe
I think he wanted OEM supplier because we have great experience with them and they almost impossible to find at your local (even in Houston no one carry them). Our vendor won't ship the glass and Pilkington is the next best thing.
I have a Pilkington on my 2006 and it is perfect. I've encountered numerous rock-hits and not a mark.
Slpr04UA6 (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 08:21 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
^ do you have a pic of label on glass?

Just for matching purposes.....
Old 05-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I have a Pilkington on my 2006 and it is perfect. I've encountered numerous rock-hits and not a mark.
lol most likely that gonna be my next glass replacement as mine already goes beyond repair. BTW they are OEM supplier for Lexus and some of BMW vehicle.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
^ do you have a pic of label on glass?

Just for matching purposes.....
Ask and you shall receive. Looking at the detailed photo I'm laughing at all of the pollen on the glass.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Alright guys, I'm working with my insurance company and auto glass supplier/installer currently and this is a game of Ring Around the Rosie. State Farm cannot make up their mind as to whether or not Dealer glass is completely covered. I was on the phone earlier with the auto glass company and State Farm and one agent said Dealer glass is covered with $0 deductible. Another said that only aftermarket glass is covered and I would be responsible for the price difference if I chose Dealer. For whatever reason, my policy does not say anything specific about windshield replacements, which is completely ridiculous. I also asked the agent what my policy specifically states and she could not give me nor the auto glass company a straight forward answer.

I tried to explain OEM Distributor glass to the agents and they were dumbfounded. After like 45 minutes of being on hold, talking to annoying agents, the auto glass representative had to hang up. She was getting frustrated and said "Don't worry Josh, I'll call State Farm back on your behalf with your policy and get price quotes for you." She seemed to be knowledgeable about the differences between Dealer and OEM Distributor glass. I mentioned that AP Tech was the original Dealer glass on my vehicle and the company looks to be Asain Glass Company (AGC) now. She was well aware of the name change said she'll have to do some research and she'll get back to me. She mentioned that PGW was also an alternative option. If I am responsible for the difference and if dealer glass is too expensive, I'll ask her what options are available for OEM Distributor glass and make sure that they have an acoustic barrier.

Overall, I'm very happy thus with the auto glass company's customer service thus and not so happy with State Farm. It's crazy that this isn't outlined in my policy nor can an agent tell me what is covered or not.

More updates to come...
Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Race Director

I had to fight with USAA to pay for dealer glass, but they gave in. Good luck!
wusty23jd (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Okay, so State Farm has confirmed that they are NOT going to cover the price for dealer glass, so that is just awesome.They keep saying that I am responsible for the price difference between dealership glass and aftermarket glass. The auto glass company that I am working with with said they could get AP Tech dealer glass (from my local Acura dealership) and my out of pocket cost with new molding and installation would be $823.00! Holy crap...That's just the difference in pricing.

The auto glass company said they could get an AGC aftermarket windshield, but they do not believe it is OEM Distributor glass (my assumption is that it would be cheaper knockoff glass). They mentioned that with the make and model of the car, they are having a difficult time finding OEM distributor glass of any brand. Hmm, that seems odd... Of course the front office personnel are not as concerned with my car as I am. 99% of people don't care what goes on their car.

Should I call State Farm back and politely request approval for Dealer glass? In my opinion, I should be made whole and accepting an inferior aftermarket windshield should not be acceptable. I'm wondering what specific language I should use to help support my case.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Latent car nut

By what measure are you determining aftermarket glass is inferior to OEM glass? As I mentioned above, my aftermarket Pilkington glass is virtually indistinguishable from OEM glass except for the logo.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

If your Pilkington glass is OEM Distributor glass, then you're probably right. It is going to be pretty indistinguishable from Dealer glass.

However, as I stated, the glass company is having a difficult time finding OEM distributor glass and mentioned it will be either Dealer glass or Aftermarket glass. If someone flat out tells me that it's Aftermarket and cannot confirm that it meets OEM distributor specifications, I don't want it as it will be inferior. True "Aftermarket" glass is like third tier glass, hence why it is 1/3 of the price.

1) Dealer (This glass is made by the company who has the glass contract for the auto company. It has the Honda/Acura logo and is made by AP Tech/AGC)
I don't care if I have the Honda/Acura logo, but this is an available option.

2) OEM Distributor (This glass is made to full OEM specifications and thickness. It can be made by AP tech, PPG, Pilkington, but just doesn't include the Honda/Acura logo)
This would be my preferred option, since it is the same as Dealer glass, just without the logo. It will be cheaper, but no one can find it, currently. This is not an available option.

3) Aftermarket (This glass does not conform to OEM specifications in most cases and may actually be thinner than OEM specifications)
In my opinion, this is an inferior glass, because it cannot be confirmed that it meets OEM specifications. Simple logic tells me that because this option is fully covered by insurance and is 1/3 the price of dealer glass, it is probably not the same.

Last edited by wusty23jd; 06-06-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: K-049: CRACKED WINDSHIELD - OEM REPLACEMENT w/o ACURA LOGO