2013 Base Speaker Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 Base Speaker Sizes

Hello,
I'm from the 3G TL side, but my mother has enlisted my help for upgrading the sound in her 2013 MDX. She doesn't have Nav or ELS and doesn't like how everything sounds. I have looked here and haven't had a huge amount of luck on finding speaker sizes some say 6.5 yet Crutchfield says 5.25? I'd like to know impedance and size. Also let me know if the speakers are coaxial or component. We aren't looking for anything fancy just cleaner sound. If coaxials work we can do that or even just change out tweeters if that will help. Depending on difficulty, I may drop in a 3.5 in the dash for her if it'll make a difference. Please let me know the difficulty of installing speakers, too!
Thank you,
Chris
​​​
Old 10-31-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
I did one of my doors speakers that was scratching the coil.. From the looks of it, it is 6.5" not like my 2G TL that had 5.25 perhaps Crutchfield is working on assumptions for the MDX but I can guarantee you that the stock 2G MDX speakers at least in my 07 are 6.5". I think Crutchfield recommend 5.25" because of the OEM Mounting bracket that has proprietary triangle mounting holes which makes it impossible for Aftermarket 6.5" to fit without modding the crap out of the OEM speaker base.

The little pod speakers are 2.5" for the Surround and for the Center Console.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-31-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Skirmich
I did one of my doors speakers that was scratching the coil.. From the looks of it, it is 6.5" not like my 2G TL that had 5.25 perhaps Crutchfield is working on assumptions for the MDX but I can guarantee you that the stock 2G MDX speakers at least in my 07 are 6.5". I think Crutchfield recommend 5.25" because of the OEM Mounting bracket that has proprietary triangle mounting holes which makes it impossible for Aftermarket 6.5" to fit without modding the crap out of the OEM speaker base.

The little pod speakers are 2.5" for the Surround and for the Center Console.
Thanhs! I actually went a checked the 07 on Crutchfield and they had pics and they said 5.25. I'm assuming you just threw in a 6.5 mounting bracket? Also, did you use coaxial speakers or components?
Old 10-31-2016, 03:44 PM

No, I haven´t modified the MDX sound system I just replaced the damaged speaker with a new OEM Replacement as it sounds good to me at least for being a stock system! OEM Speakers have Neodymium Magnets! which makes them very powerful and lightweight.
My 2G TL had a terrible sound system so I replaced everything there since it was easier to install an Aftermarket HU and Amps (1100RMS), I installed the 6.5" JL C5-650 components there there but I had to make new mounting bases from wood..

The MDX has very little to work with (No plug and play HU replacement) so I have no plans on upgrading the Audio System if that only means replacing the speakers to Coaxs.

If you do end up replacing the OEM Speakers you will have to make new mounting bases to adapt them even if they are the same 6.5" size..
Old 10-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Racer

No, I haven´t modified the MDX sound system I just replaced the damaged speaker with a new OEM Replacement as it sounds good to me at least for being a stock system! OEM Speakers have Neodymium Magnets! which makes them very powerful and lightweight.
My 2G TL had a terrible sound system so I replaced everything there since it was easier to install an Aftermarket HU and Amps (1100RMS), I installed the 6.5" JL C5-650 components there there but I had to make new mounting bases from wood..

The MDX has very little to work with (No plug and play HU replacement) so I have no plans on upgrading the Audio System if that only means replacing the speakers to Coaxs.

If you do end up replacing the OEM Speakers you will have to make new mounting bases to adapt them even if they are the same 6.5" size..
Ok, thanks. Are you sure you don't have the ELS system and not the base system like my mom? I would imagine her's would sound decent if it had ELS and not crappy like this? Before I did speakers and subs + amp in my TL it had ELS and it sounded quite a bit better than what's in her MDX
Old 10-31-2016, 04:11 PM

Mine is the fully loaded Tech and Entert pkg with the ELS 480w 10 speaker sound system. I cannot speak on how the Base model sound but the ELS in mine sounds DECENT enough to not warrant an upgrade, Not like my 2G TL did.. Obviously my TL sounds a million times better now but I tuned it for SQL and 1100RMS on a SQL Setup is a very unreachable standard for most OEM Systems.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-31-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Racer

Ok that's why lol. I've heard that the ELS is actually pretty good in the MDX but the base system is trash haha. If the stock speakers are components, would it mess up the sound stage by just dropping in a pair of coaxials and leaving the stock tweets in the dash?
Old 10-31-2016, 07:45 PM

Stock OEM Speakers are not components, The Tweeters in the Dashboard are part of the surround sound and have their own dedicated channels.
This can only work on Dolby II enabled inputs like AUX, XM, CD, DVD AUDIO or Dolby Surround on DVDs (RES).. Normal FM radio will be stuck with (2.1 Stereo) mirror through the entire car and sounds pretty weak SQ wise.. XM really pays for itself in the MDX as its one of the best quality Inputs you can use on the stock radio.

I would not add coaxials to the doors as you will pull the sound stage lower, stock dashboard tweets are on the ideal position and pulls the stage forward and up like you would want to..
Stock Subwoofer is not powered enough to sound to the fullest it can get, a small amp(150-200RMS) to the stock Sub will make wonders, If you want a little more bass pull the 3rd row up! it creates a small port channel between the tailgate and the seats and will add up a little more bass.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:15 PM
Racer

I actually think the thing has a decently loud sub for what is, just muddy. She actually thinks it's too much lol. And I figured that'd be the case with the speakers. I think the Dolby and surround stuff is a gimmick haha. Dolby sounds a little better but it would lower the volume quite a bit in my car. I have a JBL component set in my car and I faded all the other speakers out. Honestly, you really just need a decent set of components for good sound. With the layout in my mom's car I think we'll just do a pair of components then
Old 10-31-2016, 08:27 PM

Remember that the Stock system is already Equalized so the doors are not getting any high end, components (Coaxs) will not do much with the signal they will get from the Door Speaker output.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Racer

Remember that the Stock system is already Equalized so the doors are not getting any high end, components (Coaxs) will not do much with the signal they will get from the Door Speaker output.
Well crap. I thought a component set uses the crossover to separate the mid range and high frequencies. I was just thinking of that bec the mids would go in the doors and just put the tweeters in the dash corners. That worked well with my car I'd imagine it'd be just as good with her's
Old 10-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
it is 6.5
Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 PM

Honestly I think it has little to do with the speakers rather than the low powered AMP... Stock components are well constructed, Speakers have a composite cones not paper with Neodymium Magnets and the twitters are silk dome.. In theory they have all the right ingredients to sound good and in my humble opinion they do... My MDX has the best Stock Audio system I´ve heard and I have built lots of car audio setups so I´ve heard lots of crappy stock systems.

Unless you pay top dollar for a good set of components (+100 bucks the pair) I don´t think you will get better audio out of the weak stock AMP and cheap aftermarket speakers with ferrite magnets, Usually people say "ohh yeah the aftermarket speakers sounded better!" but that is because the Tweeter that comes with Coax deliver clarity that wasn´t there with the stock paper speakers on other cars, it doesn´t add better mid range or bass just clarity and thus = BETTER!.. The stock speakers with composite cones and neodymium magnets pack a punch compared to my old TL paper speakers.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:03 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I thought the 3G TL sound system was much better than the 2G TLS system, and our 08 MDX Tech & Ent. may sound a even little better than the 3G TL's.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:27 PM

It does! the 3G TL sounds miles ahead better than the 2G TL but that isn't a compliment per-se you will find a lot of cars that sound a million times better than the crappy Bose system in the 2G so the standard is set very low.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Racer

Unfortunately my mom's MDX is the base so it doesn't have the system you all have. There is no ELS markings to be found also sounds like shit lol.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I agree on the 3G TL. Really not a bad system at all aside from the cardboard sub. I just wanted a little more. When I put in a different component set and saw the OEM stuff I was kinda surprised. The mid range speaker was pretty decent quality for OEM. The tweeters looked small and kind of pathetic though compared to aftermarket. Overall, new components were a fair improvement.

Another reason aftermarket components sound better over stock is because of better crossovers as well.

I'm actually going to add a Zapco amp to them soon!