2007 or 2008 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011 | 11:19 PM
Intermediate

2007 or 2008 Acura MDX

Hi everyone looking for some advice from the Acura Community. I have been a member since 2007 and this is my first post on here, so take it easy on me lol. I currently own a 2002 Acura 3.2 TL Type S 143k and still runs like a CHAMP. I love it, but that’s not why I'm posting here today. I'm looking for some advice on whether or not my wife and I should buy a 2007 or a 2008 MDX. I have been looking around for a while now and think the MDX is overall the best suv for the price. Our budget is 30k with no more than 60k miles. I have found a 2007 MDX Tech for 28,991 with 50375 miles but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger because I know this it the first year of the 2nd gen MDX and it had a bunch of kinks in it. Any advice 2007 owners???

Should I be worried about this or should I just keep looking for a 2008 MDX?

Is there anyway to find out if its a lemon or if it's a bad apple?

Thanks for any help you can shed on this, if I posted this in the wrong spot I'm sorry.
Old 08-05-2011 | 11:57 AM
Instructor

I don't own a 2007 but personally I would not worry about buying one. However, the benefit of getting an '08 right now is that if it has under 50K miles it will still be under the bumper to bumper warranty - most 07s are probably out of warranty by now or very soon.

The 07/Tech for $29K is way over priced, even if it's in pristine condition. I'd keep looking ...

Use Edmunds.com, KBB.com and NADA.com for pricing info.
The following users liked this post:
BlkTxAcuraTypeS (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011 | 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the input 03tl-s04mdx! I'm kinda thinking we should keep looking just because I could probably get them to lower the price to 27k because I have a friend who works for the dealership and he can told me what the dealer paid for this MDX which is around 26500. Even with a lower price should you think I should keep looking? This 07 is CPO. I would love to get a MDX under warranty but It might go over my budget for an 08 under warranty. Oh I this car shoping is a love hate relationship. lol Thanks again for the advise!
Old 08-05-2011 | 02:42 PM
Instructor

CPO is definitely a plus - don't you get 12mo/12k mile bumper-to-bumper with that?

Depending on the actual overall condition of the vehicle if you can get it for close to $27K then that sounds like a great deal. If it's a color you want and you're not dead set on the Entertainment or Sport packages then start negotiating to see what you can do. Just be prepared to walk out if they won't budge on price. Probably anything under $28K would be fair for a CPO 2007 Tech with approximately 50K miles.
Old 08-05-2011 | 05:59 PM
Instructor

I purchased an 07 sport/ent back in February 07 and while they had a few kinks, I think having any concern about owning one today is overstating the issue. Acura issued many TSB's and benefit of the doubt goes to the previous owner having those taken care of under warranty, if any issues did come up. Does the 07 you're looking at need tires? That is about the mileage the OE tires wear out. Have them throw in a new set.
Old 08-05-2011 | 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

I have an 07 and It's been quite good despite being the first model year. If you can find an 08 I'd go for that simply because there's more of a chance it is still under factory warranty and you can get any minor issues addressed!
Old 08-05-2011 | 07:53 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

there are definitely CPO'd 08's out there for the price and specs you want. they can be found. if you're not picky about color...then you'll have lots of choices. there are plenty of 08's since many of them are getting traded in off 3 yr leases. i know my dealer has a couple with tech. one with 60K for $29XXX and one with 45K mi for just over $30K. both CPO. so if you hunt long and hard enough....you can find one. good luck. 07's can probably be had for mid to hi $26K in upwards of $27-28K depending on mileage. just depends what you want. CPO or non-CPO? warranty? 3yr old vs 4yr old car (think wear and tear here)? i went through this process last month when shopping for my MDX....i asked myself a lot of other questions too but those were some of the big ones to help me decide.

good luck!
BlkTxAcuraTypeS (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011 | 09:51 PM
Intermediate

Thanks everyone GREAT advice here! I love the fact that people are so willing to help out. I'm thinking I might wait for the 08 with tech just because I can wait a little bit (about a month) and I know my friend can tell me what the dealership paid for the unit, plus the wear and tear factor. Definitely some things that I hadn't really thought about.

Good question 03tl-s04mdx, How long does CPO warranty last? Does the dealership do that or Acura?

Thanks again for all the input Tltrigirl, csmeance, jbawden, 03tl-s04mdx
Old 08-06-2011 | 06:14 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

cpo adds 12 mos/12K mi to bumper to bumper and 7yr/100K to drivetrain (this one is time of original purchase, i believe). i'd have to go check my actual paperwork for my car to confirm.

i've already put this to use in fact in the 3 weeks i've owned mine (well still part of the original bumper to bumper).

one other thought is how you are going to pay for it. cash plus trade in, cash plus financing? if you are finanacing how much and how long are you comfortable with financing a used car (3 vs 4 yr old)? how long do you plan on keeping it? this is ultimately how i bought my 09 under all these considerations over an 08.

if you go to a high volume dealer, you'll have a better chance of getting a price you'll like and you'll probably have a choice in vehicle. i think i saw you're in dallas. hard for me to believe that there aren't a few acura dealers in the area that have decent pre-owned inventory. happy hunting!
Old 08-06-2011 | 06:27 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

http://www.cars.com/go/search/compar...acktype=usedcc

any of these suit your fancy? you can use the lower prices to get the higher ones down. you have a few choices in houston and in nearby plano. any color in particular?

i had a preference in color combo...so...that narrowed my choices down. i spent a few months shopping and deciding what i wanted and what i was comfy with...just putting these out there. you won't know until you go look and drive them. once you've seen them...then you can decide which one you want to haggle on. just don't do this on the day you test drive. and of course play with everything (i'm sure you know this, but there is nothing more annoying than finding out later that soemthing doesn't work it won't be covered b/c the dealer blames you).

just peaked at the carfax. the first two are auction vehicles (white and red). the black and gray one (trade ins, local, looks like regualr service has been performed at dealer). i personally like the gray one, as black is a pain to car for and TX is freakin' HOT. again, depends on condition of vehicle. i'd stay the hell away from auction vehicles.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 08-06-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2011 | 11:52 AM
Intermediate

I will be putting TTL plus a little more down and financing the rest. We plan on keeping the MDX for a while probably close to 5yrs. This is another reason I love Acura because of the resale. My TL has been paid off for a while now and with 143k on it still would resell for 7k easy (well taken of care of).

I couldn't see the cars on the link you posted but I did look at the Cars site and found a couple MDX's that I like here are the vins 2HNYD28478H504685 no pic, 2HNYD28378H511336 Silver and 2HNYD28708H546965 but i would like to stay away from the black bc it does get hotter than hell here in DFW.

Why should I stay away from auction vehicles?
Old 08-07-2011 | 12:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

auction vehicles...typically are in rough shape when traded in...hence dealers don't want to spend the money to recondition them.

a lot of them are not well cared for and well...abused or neglected. depending on the dealer...i know mine keeps the pick of the litter then sends the rest of them off to auction. if you post the links to the ones you're looking at...then we can peek at them a little bit closer.

obviously you'd have to go look at them personally and then determine whether they make the list of true potentials.
Old 08-08-2011 | 06:23 PM
Racer

I own a 2007 and let me put it this way:

I've have some kinks that other 07 owners have not and 08+ owners have had some kinks that I do not. They've also had the same kinks that I've had. So you are taking a chance with either.

I would pick a 2008 only because of the remaining warranty if needed if under 50k miles.

Last edited by dominik331; 08-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.
BlkTxAcuraTypeS (08-08-2011)
Old 08-15-2011 | 08:42 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

We have an 07 MDX Tech w/RES. We bought it used 25 months (July 09) ago with 29K miles for $31.5K. From a non Acura dealer. We've had a couple of minor things fixed under the original warranty - but nothing that affected driveability. Passenger seat heater switch light and 2nd row passenger seat wouldn't slide forward for access to third row.
Because our X has both the Tech and RES we decided to purchase an extended warranty as there is too much in the way of electronics to possibly go wrong.
The only thing we have had done so far under the extended warranty was replacement of the tensioner belt pulley. It was very noisy - the kids noticed and asked why the car was so loud, but did not effect driveability. Dealer said it is fairly common as the bearings were going - eventually would have been a problem. We replaced the belt while the pulley was being replaced as Acura was paying the labor. Out of pocket cost was $60 for the belt, overall repair would have been about $400 according to dealer.

You may want to take a look at these -

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cg...mit=++++go++++
BlkTxAcuraTypeS (08-18-2011)
Old 08-17-2011 | 11:15 PM
Intermediate

Thanks everyone & NBP04TL4ME for the site and the info, I hadn't seen a couple of those MDX's b4. We're still looking, we havent seen much around the DFW area that meets the Miles, Price range, and color we're looking for but can't wait to find it out there! = )
Old 08-20-2011 | 09:36 AM

You're welcome and just to be sure you saw it, you can change the parameters of the search criteria - Model year, price, area and you can use the filter to add criteria if you'd like.
Old 08-21-2011 | 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

The current-gen MDX has recently been on my radar. I saw a couple of 2007 MDXs with RES in my area for the mid-20's with mileage in the 50's-60's and thought that it might be a better deal than my current plan of eventually adding a TSX wagon.

This discussion is therefore timely for me. If there are no major quirks with the 2007 I may actually go with that given the SH-AWD (my favorite Acura feature). The 2008, being the second year of that redesign, is even better.

I plan to be an Acura owner again in the next few months, deal willing.
Old 08-24-2011 | 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Need help please, any advice is welcome. Yesterday I went with my fiance to test drive a 2008 MDX with 54K miles, tech sport package. When she put the car in reverse, the car was jerking and jumping back, we were not even able to go for a test drive due to the nature of the problem. The salesman took the car to the service department and the service tech came back with the salesman to report that they had installed a battery that was not large enough for the vehicle. Today they called us back up to the dealership to take the car home with us since we had previously stated that due to the extreme issues with this vehicle we were no longer interested. The dealership that is selling the unit is an Infiniti dealership so they offered us to take the car for a day and take it by an Acura dealership of our choice so that we can rest assured that this was truly a battery problem. We took the car today despite some of the unease we had with the car but after driving it for a while we feel that the car is actually driving fine. Can anyone please let us know if you have heard of an issue that the battery is not large enough to support the vehicle that it would cause problems when trying to shift gears, I want to make sure that the dealership is not just trying to unload the vehicle on me but being truthful.
Old 08-25-2011 | 06:01 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by BlkTxAcuraTypeS
Need help please, any advice is welcome. Yesterday I went with my fiance to test drive a 2008 MDX with 54K miles, tech sport package. When she put the car in reverse, the car was jerking and jumping back, we were not even able to go for a test drive due to the nature of the problem. The salesman took the car to the service department and the service tech came back with the salesman to report that they had installed a battery that was not large enough for the vehicle. Today they called us back up to the dealership to take the car home with us since we had previously stated that due to the extreme issues with this vehicle we were no longer interested. The dealership that is selling the unit is an Infiniti dealership so they offered us to take the car for a day and take it by an Acura dealership of our choice so that we can rest assured that this was truly a battery problem. We took the car today despite some of the unease we had with the car but after driving it for a while we feel that the car is actually driving fine. Can anyone please let us know if you have heard of an issue that the battery is not large enough to support the vehicle that it would cause problems when trying to shift gears, I want to make sure that the dealership is not just trying to unload the vehicle on me but being truthful.
since you have the car in your possession without the salesman in the backseat. take it to the acura dealer yourself, have a pre-purchase inspection done to see if they find any problems. tell them about the battery thing. depending on the dealer, they probably won't jerk you around. the infiniti dealer just wants to sell you the car and will tell you anything to get you to purchase. i'd be suspect esp since infiniti is "pressuring" you. trust your instincts. all the more reason to consider CPO.
BlkTxAcuraTypeS (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011 | 11:39 AM
Instructor

It's still under power train warranty so if you do end up getting it and it's something like a transmission issue you should be covered. I say even if the MDX checks out at the Acura dealer tell the Infiniti dealer to throw in a 1yr/12000 mi bumper-to-bumper warranty just for good measure.
BlkTxAcuraTypeS (08-25-2011)
Old 08-26-2011 | 08:51 PM

I wouldn't think that a battery or wrong size battery would exhibit this sort of behavior, but the MDX not unlike many modern cars has lots of electronics, so anything is possible. If you do bring it to an Acura dealer and they are willing to do so, have them check to see if the episode threw and resulted in any stored codes. Having the tech package, there may be a message stored and accessible from the navigation system. It might be worth a look, but it may not say anything more than "X system may not be working properly and you should visit your Acura dealer soon."

Just a couple of quick thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted as things proceed
Old 08-28-2011 | 10:26 AM
Acura Love

Color does not matter, awesome A/C does

Originally Posted by BlkTxAcuraTypeS
i would like to stay away from the black bc it does get hotter than hell here in DFW.
I live in San Antonio, have a Black 2008 MDX Tech, a Silver 2007 TL Type S 6MT, a White 2001 3.2 TL and a Silver 2001 Integra GSR and I can tell you that the color does not make a difference. The Multi Zone A/C in the MDX is blows mighty cold, I work from home, so I hang out with my 18 month old son most days. When at home I can turn on the MDX right before loading him up and by the time I am ready to drive off, nice and cool. During outings, I can load him, turn on the MDX, and the vehicle is cool long before the DVD finishes loading.

Our Black MDX is much cooler than our White TL or my Silver Integra. It is about the same as the Type S, except I cannot start the Type S from the back seat.

Oh, and please don't buy a non CPO MDX, even Acura certifies a preowned, its certified by a Tech. The difference is that Acura is now responsible for anything the Tech overlooks. You do not want to have to pay for any problems that may occur with a used MDX, they are very sophisticated and very expensive to fix. Have you considered looking for a CPO in Houston, Austin or San Antonio? It may be worth the extra expense in the long run.

Last edited by lando77; 08-28-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2011 | 10:39 AM
Acura Love

I see that you already got a Black MDX for you Spouse, Congrats, you both will love it
Old 09-25-2011 | 11:59 PM
Intermediate

Just wanted to let this thread know my fiance and I purchased a black on black 2008 Acura MDX Sport Tech Package with running boards and 54,556 miles a couple of weeks ago and have been LOVING it ever since. This thread did help me decide to go with the 08, and to go with a CPO car. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this thread, I will post pic's of the new MDX with my TL as soon as we get the MDX cleaned. What are some good accessories for the MDX???
Old 09-26-2011 | 01:47 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Exclamation

Never heard of a "Sport/tech" model......2007, 2008 & 2009's USA models come in:
Basic
Tech
Tech/Ent
Sports
Sports/ENT
Old 09-26-2011 | 01:57 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

so you kept the TL? what year is it? now it has a friend to play with. awesome!

i think my TL is jealous, but i appreciate my TL everytime i drive my MDX. get ceramic tint for the front windows...it'll help with keepng the car cooler.