2006 no brake lights and wont get out of park...brake light switch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 08:47 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 no brake lights and wont get out of park...brake light switch??

This is odd....the vsa with triangle was staying on today earlier then when i parked and went into work and came out the thing wouldnt shift out of park!!! arg,,,,,,the brakelights dont work when started and pressing on the brake and i can use the overide to shif into drive but when i park it happens again. Any ideas? I check the fuses in the engine compartment area and they are all good...my battery drains when not using the car for a week...thats weird too but a seperate issue i think...the main one is the shifter not going into drive and the brake lights not working..any advice? 2006 mdx..
Old 05-03-2022, 10:01 PM
dgy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JAGEYA
This is odd....the vsa with triangle was staying on today earlier then when i parked and went into work and came out the thing wouldnt shift out of park!!! arg,,,,,,the brakelights dont work when started and pressing on the brake and i can use the overide to shif into drive but when i park it happens again. Any ideas? I check the fuses in the engine compartment area and they are all good...my battery drains when not using the car for a week...thats weird too but a seperate issue i think...the main one is the shifter not going into drive and the brake lights not working..any advice? 2006 mdx..
We had that problem with a Honda sedan. The brake light switch (under dash, above brake pedal) was not working properly. So, car wouldn't "unlock" the transmission because it never saw your foot on the brake.

You should be able to visually verify the switch is being actuated by the pedal. Have a friend verify the brake lights are coming on when you THINK the switch is being actuated.

[Sorry, I can't recall if I repaired the switch or replaced it...]
Old 05-05-2022, 11:38 AM
8th Gear

UPDATE- THE STOP AND RADIO fuses(20amp) were blown...and i changed them but they blew again...its not the brake sensor switch...now it something else....someone said to disconnect the horn??
Old 05-05-2022, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
You have a short on the circuit somewhere, did you do any radio (aftermarket) work? Did you replace any bulbs to LED perhaps? It might also just be a broken wire in a loom somewhere on the circuit
Old 05-05-2022, 04:58 PM
8th Gear

no after market anything... i did replace the headlamp bulbs but with the same ones they were already(1 was out so i replaced both). thats it...its at the car place now...i cant drive with no brake lights as thats not safe...we will see what they say..i literally didnt do anything diff then normal.