Rear View Mirror exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:12 AM
My baby's daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing it!

First, Samir, I am sorry for your misfortune. You may want to contact Acura Client Services at the number listed earlier in the post. Be patient, that has been the key, I think, to arriving at a resolution.

When I contacted Acura in Cali, I was reasonable and understanding. They cannot just fix everything that goes wrong on a used Acura. However, I was well within my 12 month, 12000 mile certified used car warranty. I requested only the burned plastic parts be replaced and indicated that the stained leather was something I could live with. After a few months and many phone calls, they have agreed to fix all the damage, including replacing the seat bottom, and they even gave me a rental while the repairs are being done.

This gesture has proven to me that Acura/Honda holds their dedication to quality as a company philosphy, not just a product of great engineering and manufacture. They have truly stepped up and done the right thing and made an investment in a long term relationship with a customer. I plan to write them a letter to thank them and call out the individuals who have been a part this experience. More importantly, I will be replacing my Acura with another Acura when the time comes, guaranteed.

Throughout this unfortunate incident, I never received less than a smile and was treated with the utmost respect. I happen to be a young-looking, long-haired software geek who often finds people quickly judging me based on my appearance. The folks at Acura never once lowered their standard.

I can't wait to get my baby back, and have her right again. Then I'll finish the stereo install and enjoy many more years of a pleasurable commute. One day, she will be tired and I will simply move my stereo to a nice, new Acura.

I will continue to speak to this on my blog here
Old 06-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometime I think when you take your car in for service on regular basis at some dealerships they treat you better. If your car is under warranty they got to fix it.
But when its out of warranty like mine was by time not mileage they did not have to fix it under warranty. The service advisor who was not my regular service advisor wrote up ticket.
He knows that I always have come in for service & most of the time the first person in the door. This is like with my old HONDA DEALERSHIP they fixed things on my car even when it was out of warranty for free. Sometime they would not charge the normal price for things just because I had purchased 3 cars from them & had service done there alot of times.
They still are sending me coupons for service & I have not owned a HONDA in over 4yrs.
I think the ACURA DEALERSHIP service people know I will come in for service again.
They probaly know I might buy another car from that dealership.
I am waiting for the 2005 RL to come out but it might be 2006 for me to make a move.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Racer

Can anyone here send me the # for Magna Donnelly? My mirror works about 1/2 way. The right side still dims, but the left does not. I would like to look in to getting my repaired/replaced. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Magna Donnelly Quality Manager: Tom Phee, Tom.Phee@magnadon.com
Old 06-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Racer

Thanks for the info! I will let you guys know how my situation turns out.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dands99tl
Thanks for the info! I will let you guys know how my situation turns out.
Here is the site itself. www.donnelly.com
Old 06-30-2004, 10:48 PM
l33t

Yeah I picked up my baby today from the dealer, had a BG done, seat track replace, a few other things, and i got in it and the mirror was cracked... prob from temp changes... i could see the fluid inside... scared the shit outta me, cause i was thinking about this thread...

apparently it happens every now and then, and my guys have seen it destroy the interior of the car... Acura Care's extended warranty woll not cover it, but the factory warranty would... im sorry dude, the cost to you is going to be rediculous... i really hope acura will do something for you... keep us updated.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:29 PM
My baby's daddy

Yes, they fixed it and I am very happy. I got my car back and all is well. Its not exactly like it was new but we have to be reasonable. I am a relatively new customer to my Acura dealership, having only had the car for about 9 months. I have had all my service done at the dealership. Their price is competitive and the service is impeccable.

I read about the 2005 RL, recently, while in the midst of this predicament. I had just been informed that the repairs were approved. The description of the new model combined with the sense of satisfaction I had with my dealership solidified my next purchase. I, too, won’t be able to get a new RL in 2005 but the new RL is, without a doubt, my next car. BMW just lost some customers.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Has anyone thought of registering this problem with the NHTSA? I think if the mirror "explodes" while being driven it would be quite the saftey issue, no??
NHTSA Link

The life you save may be a fellow member.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Racer

Just noticed in my TL today that the automatic dimmer does not work around the far edges of the mirror. Most of that mirror has that bluish tint to it but in daylight, right around the edges it doesnt...of course it has this plasma looking look since it doesnt cover the whole mirror...I hope mine isn't about to explode. I'm under warranty though 41k and warranty shoudlnt expire until Dec. I believe. I heard you guys had problems...but if I'm under the factory warranty, they will replace it right? I'm going to try to make them w/ the notion that hey these things can explode and cause major damage and its starting to act up. As long as I'm under the 4/50k factory warranty I'm ok right?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
Just noticed in my TL today that the automatic dimmer does not work around the far edges of the mirror. Most of that mirror has that bluish tint to it but in daylight, right around the edges it doesnt...of course it has this plasma looking look since it doesnt cover the whole mirror...I hope mine isn't about to explode. I'm under warranty though 41k and warranty shoudlnt expire until Dec. I believe. I heard you guys had problems...but if I'm under the factory warranty, they will replace it right? I'm going to try to make them w/ the notion that hey these things can explode and cause major damage and its starting to act up. As long as I'm under the 4/50k factory warranty I'm ok right?
Take your car in now & have this fixed under waranty before that liquid leaks out.
It will damage the plastic or seats this is what happen to me & others. I was warned a little to late the liquid get my chrome shifter & other parts of the car. I was lucky that my dealer replaced everything under warranty. I was out by time not mileage on my car but I think they just figured the car was under 50K. I don't know what causes the problem mine was fine one day & had a oval spot in it the next. The day after that the liquid leaked out & I had a halo effect in the mirror. This is a strange with the mirror why now & how come. The mirror has worked fine the last 4yrs that I have had the car. The car is in the same element with sun & heat as it has always been I live the same place & park the same place all the time when at home.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Racer

I have turned the auto-dim off for now. I can't get it into the dealer tomorrow before work. I hope this thing doesn't blow....I'll be sick. I wonder how much longer I have before this thing starts to really mess up?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread should be made sticky
Old 09-08-2004, 01:43 AM
Racer

the replacement from magnadon sounds like it's been revised?

The Magna Donnelly SPM™ EC Mirror is the first of the next generation. Thanks to Magna Donnelly’s exclusive SPM™ (Solid Polymer Matrix) technology, it contains no liquid or gel substance. So there’s no leaking. And the mirror functions for a period of time, even if the glass is cracked. The result: a safer, more reliable product.
no liquid leaking out sounds good to me.

i hope mine never does that, but i believe it almost happened twice. once when i first picked up the car new (chip in the glass - non functional dimming) and the second time when the rear view power light didn't function correctly (broken again). i guess the third time is the charm.

hopefully it won't break again.

i really should check the dimming function as i haven't driven it in 2 months.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

In order to process your request for a replacement mirror, we will need the following information:

1. Make and Model of your vehicle.

2. What features in addition to autodim does your current mirror have?

3. How many pins are in the back of your mirror?

4. How many wires go into the plug for your current mirror?

5. What color are the wires?

6. What color is the plug?

7. Your name, address, zip code, email address, and phone number.

Correctly answering all of these questions will speed up the process for processing your request. Thank you in advance.

CAN ANY OF YOU ANSWER ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS? Thats the email i got back from Magnadon. If you can, you are able to get a mirror replacement from the manufacture for no cost except shipping and installation. I do have the contact information if any of you need. But i am asking for your help to answer all the questions for a 1999 Acura 3.2TL. Thanks for the help
Old 10-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Pro

How'd you get that far? They gave me the run around when I emailed them. Still waiting. Somewhere in the forum has the model number, cant seem to find it.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

Does anyone know if leaving the auto-dim feature on all the time, day and night, exacerbates the problem leading to more potential for failure? Should I only turn on auto-dim in the evening?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Racer

I don't know what problems ya'll seem to be having with the mirrors.

I simply emailed them, then about 2 weeks later I got a reply apologizing for the delay in response and that they would get back to me asap. I later got a phone call and all they needed was my shipping address.

They sent it out today. I don't know why you had to answer all those questions.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation

Just curious...Has anyone even thought about the toxic effects of this black liquid when inhaled in a hot car with no ventilation?

If it can corrode plastic, what is it doing to your respiratory system and lungs?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
On the way!

Nice - a 13 month old thread gets resurrected!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:24 PM
My baby's daddy

Originally Posted by fla-tls
Nice - a 13 month old thread gets resurrected!
exactly what I was thinking!

my dealership replaced my mirror no questions asked and, after a few calls to acura client services, replaced the leather on the passenger seat and much of the center console.

...and "that" is why I bought a newer TL from them last week...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Registered Abuser

This is the strangest thread I ever read. WTF!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:49 AM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Yo that RUPTUREING FLUID issue scares me. My mirror works fine but like, will it rupture eventually??? And if its going to, i dont wana be in the car when it does. So it can explode all over me and hit me in the face or somethin???? This really concerns me. Please someone answer this.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

In regards to my leaking mirror, I sent several e-mails and left several voice messages with Mr. Niall Lynam at Magna Donnelly. I finally received a response from him, but not until after someone had removed their customer service and sales support e-mail addresses from their web site (www.donnelly.com). At first, I thought it was coincidental, but now I know otherwise. When I asked why they did so, they stated that they couldn't keep up with the influx of inquiries.

See my initial e-mail to them, below, dated 11/9/05:

To whom it may concern:

It's my understanding that your company is the manufacturer of the auto dim rear-view mirror located in my 2000 Acura TL.

Can you please provide me with a Material Data Safety Sheet on the chemicals used in my 2000 Acura TL's auto dim rear-view mirror? I recently discovered that my mirror has been slowly leaking over the last few months and has ultimately damaged and corroded the wood grain, the gear shift plate, my leather seats and interior carpet. Currently, my car is being serviced for this problem at an Acura dealership.

I am most concerned about my health, as I have apparently been inhaling this chemical (unbeknownst to me) for a few months now. Ironically, throughout the last few months, I have been experiencing a constant fever, blood in my urine, a kidney infection and frequent migraines/headaches. I was prescribed the antio-biotic CIPRO, but I continue to experience these symptoms.

I contact the Poison Control Center and was informed that the chemical used in my mirror could include mercury, which is extremely toxic when inhaled...especially, after baking in the hot Florida sun.

I am a very healthy and athletic person, so just want to confirm that my recent poor health condition is not a result of the chemical leak from my rear-view mirror.

Thank you, in advance, for your immediate response.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:36 AM
9th Gear

When I bought my 3.2TL last week, I had a bubble in the rearview mirror as well. The dealership replaced it free of charge. They said they had never seen that problem before.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dvsxlt247
Yo that RUPTUREING FLUID issue scares me. My mirror works fine but like, will it rupture eventually??? And if its going to, i dont wana be in the car when it does. So it can explode all over me and hit me in the face or somethin???? This really concerns me. Please someone answer this.
I am scared, too. I still have a sore throat, mild fever, blood in my urine, etc. I'm very athletic, so I want to get to the heart of this matter.

Has ANYONE else experienced issues as a result of being exposed to this black liquid (i.e., sore throat, low grade fever, etc.)? How did the dealership handle it? Did the black fluid leak all over your front seats? If so, did they replace your mirror FREE of charge? Did they replace your leather or cloth seats? Did the black fluid corrode your gear shift plate? If so, did they replace it? Were you told what the black fluid consists of?

Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, in advance, for your response.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 AM
So Plain.

yo this shit FREAKS me out. i dont want my TL to kill me.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amercier
yo this shit FREAKS me out. i dont want my TL to kill me.
It's not just Acura owners that should be concerned abou this issue. It's ANYONE that owns a vehicle with one of these old auto-dim mirrors in it (Ford, Dodge, GM, etc.).

It amazes me that no one has report this issue to the NHSTA. If this mirror manufacturer is one of the largest in the world, I would certainly think that millions (even billions) of auto consumers have reported experiencing this issue over the years. Yet, the NHSTA has nothing on record.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

What was the guy's response to your inquiry about your health?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Racer

Whoa, this is scary stuff. Does anyone know when they changed to the new dimming mirrors without this leaking problem? ie, am I safe in my 3rd gen TL?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:21 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Warren803
Whoa, this is scary stuff. Does anyone know when they changed to the new dimming mirrors without this leaking problem? ie, am I safe in my 3rd gen TL?
When I had an 05 RL loaner for two weeks the autodim mirror looked EXACTLY like the one in my 2002 TL. They were identical in appearance.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Instructor

this is crazy these mirror blow up like a time bomb the only thing is nobody knows when.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Weird stuff. I wonder if the NTHSA will look into it. Maybe you need to report it to them and see if other makes and models have been reporting this.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mdavisii
Mirror type is camlock, part (model) number 011530. Make sure you give them the correct part number, Magna uses a special mirror for our cars. Hope this helps.
Do you have Magna Donnelly phone number?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by rhizopod
Ok, I finally got the replacement mirror installed. I had to go to the dealer because my local glass place said they couldn't do it. Apparently my windshield has been replaced (I bought the car certified pre-owned) with a made in China windshield (!!) and they used some super epoxy to stick the old mirror on. In any case, it cost me $42.50 to get it done at the dealer. Looks like they did a good job though. Also, Magna Donnelly sent me two rear view mirrors for some reason, so if anyone needs one let me know. Thanks
I need one
Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

any pics?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Mirror Leak

No pics, because dealer refused to give me back the corroded gear shift plate and old mirror. I suppose I could take some pics of my leather seats that have black fluid all over them. The dealer refuses to replace them and told me to call Acura headquarters.

I spoke with Acura headquarters this evening and I've opened a case # with them. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
What was the guy's response to your inquiry about your health?
I actually received several phone calls and e-mails from the VP of Magna Donnelly regarding this issue. This was our final correspondence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Niall.Lynam@magnadon.com [mailto:Niall.Lynam@magnadon.com]
Sent: Tue 11/29/2005 7:11 PM
To: XXXXXXXXX
Cc: Dani.Andriacchi@magnadon.com
Subject: Below

XXXXXX,

Thanks for your e-mails. While I don't agree with many of your characterizations and conclusions, I can appreciate the inconvenience experienced whenever having work done on one's vehicle at a dealership.

From what I can gather, the dealership has repaired your vehicle under
warranty.

Let me know if otherwise.

Regards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Mon 11/28/2005 11:06 PM
To: 'Niall.Lynam@magnadon.com'
Cc: 'Dani.Andriacchi@magnadon.com'
Subject: United States Patent 5355245

Mr. Lynam,

I am still experiencing a low-grade fever, sore/swollen throat, conjestion, constant post-nasal drip, coughing, and blood in my urine. I am a runner, therefore, am extremely irritated by this sudden onset of illness.

As mentioned during our telephone conference a few weeks ago, I strongly feel that the continuous inhalation of the black liquid substance that leaked from the rear-view mirror of my 2000 Acura TL 3.2 is the primary cause of my illness. I had absolutley no respiratory problems prior to this occurrence.

Contrary to the statement you made during our initial telephone call, it appears that the black liquid substance that leaked from my rearview mirror is potentially toxic -- particularly when inhaled in an enclosed environment (no ventilation, heat exposure). The following United States Patent 5355245 titled 'Ultraviolet protected electrochemichromic rearview mirror' states your name as 'Inventor'. This patent states the following:
The electro-optic media commonly used in electro-optic mirrors and windows are often constituted of materials and chemicals of a potential toxic or otherwise hazardous nature. Should the mirror glass break in an accident, there is a possibility of automobile occupants contacting the electro-optic media, either directly or by contact with glass particles to which these potentially hazardous media are still adhering. Such contact presents a hazard to the occupants through toxic effects, and through skin irritation such as to eyes and facial areas. The anti-lacerative layers and laminate interlayers of this invention offer a barrier that ensures that contact with chemicals used within the mirror is minimized should the glass shatter in an accident.
You clearly stated in this patent that 'mirrors and windows are often constituted of materials and chemicals of a potential toxic or otherwise hazardous nature' and that 'such contact presents a hazard to the occupants through toxic effects.'

It appears to me that the verbiage provided in your Patent 5355245 is a total contradiction to what you stated during our telephone conference a few weeks ago.

XXXXXXX
Old 12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Warren803
They changed them after 2000 MY.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Patrick C.
When I bought my 3.2TL last week, I had a bubble in the rearview mirror as well. The dealership replaced it free of charge. They said they had never seen that problem before.
The service guy at my dealership said they replace 1000's of these old mirrors each year.

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror exploded!