Rear View Mirror exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2003 TL-S with OnStar feature. Are these rear view mirrors also affected by the leaking problems? So far I've had no problems, but after reading this thread I'm starting to worry.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mee too, i leave mine off now
Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Banned

wowwww
how the hell do you take it off...because my rear view mirror is starting to have a brown oval circle rite in the middlee....i think it imploded instead of exploded....
Old 08-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shimbo519
I need to know as well for a 2001 TL. I just got an email from them to fill out a claim form.

Can someone send me the email? Mine busted almost a yr ago just never did anything about it. thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rusky
It ruptured. the chemical inside that makes it dim spewed all over my car. ...and it doesn't come off the leather. Worse (how can it be worse?), it eats through plastic! The console looks like there's been a small fire.
Eats through the plastic??

Good thing you weren't in the car when this happened!

Never heard of this happening before...Acura, you never cease to amaze me
Old 08-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I=X - optomos

I called 616-786-7000 and left my name, #, info on my car and email addy with Heath on his voicemail and 2 hours later Dani emailed me the form to fill out.

Well its been 3 weeks since my mirror went bad and it has not leaked yet so today I decided to remove it and not tempt fate. I found the easiest way to remove the mirror once it was disconected was to place one hand on the mirror and use to fingers from the other hand and push down on the center plastic piece while rocking the mirror lightly left and right.

Here is the connector once the sunglass visor is removed:
Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by optomos
I called 616-786-7000 and left my name, #, info on my car and email addy with Heath on his voicemail and 2 hours later Dani emailed me the form to fill out.

Well its been 3 weeks since my mirror went bad and it has not leaked yet so today I decided to remove it and not tempt fate. I found the easiest way to remove the mirror once it was disconected was to place one hand on the mirror and use to fingers from the other hand and push down on the center plastic piece while rocking the mirror lightly left and right.

Here is the connector once the sunglass visor is removed:
Whats Heaths last name? There are so many options to choose from? thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_F
Is there any indication that the leaking problem has been corrected in the replacement mirrors? Or is the mirror's design and construction unchanged?
Does anyone have an answer regarding this?

Bob
Old 08-18-2006, 03:22 PM
I=X - optomos

Originally Posted by Chinaman38
Whats Heaths last name? There are so many options to choose from? thanks
Heath Flanery.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

I have a 99 TL and they finally agreed to replace my mirror but want to know a few things that I cannot answer. Does anyone know the following?

How many plugs in the wire?
What color is the plug?
What color are the wires?
Number of pins on the back of the mirror?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I=X - optomos

Pins-3
Wires-3
Wire Color-Black, Grey, White
Plug color-Blue
Housing color-Black
Old 08-19-2006, 01:03 PM
10th Gear

My 99TL rear view mirror is also defective. What the heck is going on?? Why hasn't Acura stepped up to the plate? This is obviously a serious issue.

I just emailed Heath Flanery.

Hank
Old 08-20-2006, 10:43 PM
運転することを愛

I got my free replacement on Friday.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:14 AM
5th Gear

Reimbursement instead of replacement

I didn't know anything about a free replacement until the day I actually purchased my mirror. I went on-line to find some help on how to remove the old mirror when I found this forum. I sent a copy of my receipt from the Acura Dealer, but, Magna Donnelly responded by sending out the standard form for receiving a replacement.

Has anyone been successful in gotten Magna Donnelly to pay for a mirror that was purchased from Acura?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Drifting

Are the replacement mirrors improved in any way or can we expect them to leak down the road?

Has anyone had a leak problem with one of the replacements?

Bob
Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 PM
運転することを愛

Are the replacement mirrors improved in any way or can we expect them to leak down the road?

Has anyone had a leak problem with one of the replacements?

Bob

Not that I have heard, but this is difficult to determine because the replacements haven't been on for as long as the original ones from the factory. Some people had those mirrors on more than 5+ years (mine is an '02 and just started going bad in '06). So for people who have a replacement that has been on for 1 year or less this is hard to judge whether it will go bad.

I have heard that they switched to a solid core rather than a liquid core, but I do not know if this was updated for this model of mirror or only the new models. Example being the '04+ TL which has the same model # for the mirror but ends in a B rather than an A.

Hope this helps some.

Mike
Old 08-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Drifting

Mike,

Thanks. That was very helpful.

My 1999 TL still has the original mirror and I'm wondering if I should replace it before it leaks and damages the interior.

I guess another question is what percentage of the original mirrors fail in the first place. Is it 5% or 50%? I would guess that the percentage is fairly low because I have't seen too many failure reports relative to the number of forum members.... but it's tough to say.

Bob
Originally Posted by Acuracy02
Not that I have heard, but this is difficult to determine because the replacements haven't been on for as long as the original ones from the factory. Some people had those mirrors on more than 5+ years (mine is an '02 and just started going bad in '06). So for people who have a replacement that has been on for 1 year or less this is hard to judge whether it will go bad.

I have heard that they switched to a solid core rather than a liquid core, but I do not know if this was updated for this model of mirror or only the new models. Example being the '04+ TL which has the same model # for the mirror but ends in a B rather than an A.

Hope this helps some.

Mike
Old 08-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Interesting comment. I would venture to say that all of them are going to fail at some point. Design flaw. I would have to say that most transmissions will fail too if you haven't gotten the slightly improved one put in.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

Exploding Mirror - Chronic Sore Throat

FOLLOWING THE EXPLOSION OF YOUR MIRRORS, HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED A CHRONIC SORE THROAT, MIGRAINES and INTESTINAL PROBLEMS? At first, I thought it purely coincidental, however, since this incident I've had a chronic sore throat, migraines and intestinal problems. I've visited numerous doctors and one has finally diagnosed me with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - also referred to as MCS - is known as a Chemical Injury. In broad terms, it means an unusually severe sensitivity or allergy-like reaction to a chemical or pollutant. THE CHEMICALS INSIDE OF MAGNA'S MIRRORS ARE HIGHLY TOXIC WHEN INHALED -- particularly inside of a hot car with the windows up.

My rearview mirror exploded last November, spraying a black liquid substance all over the interior of my Acura TL (the tan leather seats, carpet and center console). It even eroded/burnt a hole through my center console.

Magna replaced my mirror free of charge, no questions asked. An auto repairman at my Acura dealership stated in my service repair report that these mirrors contain mercury. Although, they attempted to clean car thoroughly, he advised me to trade it in as soon as possible. He said that the chemical most likely leaked between my center console onto the floor board and could not be removed.

Upon receiving this information from my dealership, I requested the list of chemicals used inside of these mirrors from Magna Donnelly (the manufacturer of these mirrors). Magna would not share this information with me, stating it's proprietary information and the chemicals (there are 7-8 of them) are patented.

A week later, I received a call on my cell phone from the Magna's Vice President, Neall Lynam, assuring me that the chemicals used in Magna's mirrors are not toxic. (I later discovered that he had lied to me.) I also asked him why a recall hadn't been issued on these mirrors, and he stated that he felt it was not necessary. Not necessary?

I continued to remain ill for no apparent reason. I no longer believe that my illness and the exposure to theses chemicals was purely coincidental.

I hired an attorney to subpoena the list of chemicals from Magna. To my (and my attorney's) surprise, all of the chemicals used in their mirrors are highly toxic. One of the main symptoms, upon being exposed to these chemicals, is a chronic sore throat and interstinal problems.

I signed a disclaimer with Magna, therefore, I'm unable to disclose this information. However, I can assure you that if you've been exposed to them (particularly, for a long period of time), then there's a probability that you (or any of your passengers) may also become ill.

My attorney is filing suit against Magna Donnelly for personal damages to my car and injuries suffered as a result of their carelessness to issue a recall on their rearview mirrors. If you (or anyone you know) has experienced any type of illness as a result of being exposed to these chemicals, please respond to this posting. Perhaps, a class action law suit should be in order.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Design Flaw

Originally Posted by spineman
Interesting comment. I would venture to say that all of them are going to fail at some point. Design flaw. I would have to say that most transmissions will fail too if you haven't gotten the slightly improved one put in.

In response to your statement:

The Magna Donnelly SPM™ EC Mirror is the first of the next generation. Thanks to Magna Donnelly’s exclusive SPM™ (Solid Polymer Matrix) technology, it contains no liquid or gel substance. So there’s no leaking. And the mirror functions for a period of time, even if the glass is cracked. The result: a safer, more reliable product. (See http://www.donnelly.com/products/int...ecrearview.asp for more information)

What do you think 'SAFER' means? If it's UNsafe, then why haven't they issued a RECALL on these mirrors? Rather, Magna has simply decided to provide you with a new SAFER mirror (free of charge, of course) ONLY AFTER your mirror explodes. Seems rather irresponsible on their part, doesn't it?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to read of your health problems.

So is the "SPM EC" mirror being used to replace the original fluid filled mirror used in the 2nd generation Acura TLs?

Bob

Originally Posted by cemcflc
In response to your statement:

The Magna Donnelly SPM™ EC Mirror is the first of the next generation. Thanks to Magna Donnelly’s exclusive SPM™ (Solid Polymer Matrix) technology, it contains no liquid or gel substance. So there’s no leaking. And the mirror functions for a period of time, even if the glass is cracked. The result: a safer, more reliable product. (See http://www.donnelly.com/products/int...ecrearview.asp for more information)

What do you think 'SAFER' means? If it's UNsafe, then why haven't they issued a RECALL on these mirrors? Rather, Magna has simply decided to provide you with a new SAFER mirror (free of charge, of course) ONLY AFTER your mirror explodes. Seems rather irresponsible on their part, doesn't it?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Re: Exploding Mirror - Chronic Sore Throat

Oh damn, I think this issue is going to get lost in the 19 pages of posts here, and rightfully deserves it's own post. PLEASE, for so many reasons, repost it to the main page. If even one other person is affected, we need to know!

Did they only make mirrors for Acura TL? You may want to google to see if there is precedent for other mirror makers issuing a recall/getting sued.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM
I=X - optomos

I have had some issues as well and made an appointment to see my doctor on tuesday of next week for a complete exam and bloodwork. I will see what he says without mentioning anything about the mirror situation.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to read of your health problems.

So is the "SPM EC" mirror being used to replace the original fluid filled mirror used in the 2nd generation Acura TLs?

Bob

Hi, Bob.

Yes, it's my understanding that the new 'solid core' mirrors were manufactured and installed in 2001+ vehicles. I own an Acura 2000 TL, which initially had the old 'liquid core' mirror.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Drifting

For those that have had a mirror leak or explode, was the event associated with high outside air temperatures?

And might this be less likely to happen if you never use the auto-dimming feature?

Bob
Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Thank you very much. That was helpful.

I'm going to look into getting a replacement.

Bob
Originally Posted by cemcflc
Hi, Bob.

Yes, it's my understanding that the new 'solid core' mirrors were manufactured and installed in 2001+ vehicles. I own an Acura 2000 TL, which initially had the old 'liquid core' mirror.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Exploding Rearview Mirror - Chronic Health Issues

Originally Posted by optomos
I have had some issues as well and made an appointment to see my doctor on tuesday of next week for a complete exam and bloodwork. I will see what he says without mentioning anything about the mirror situation.

TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE SUFFERING HEALTH PROBLEMS OR VEHICLE DAMAGES (OR BOTH) SUBSEQUENT TO A REARVIEW MIRROR LEAK...

Here's a press release issued by Donnelly. Donnelly states that the new 'solid core' mirror is considered 'SAFER'. But, what exactly does 'SAFER' mean? SAFER because there's not the possibility of passengers inhaling the toxic fumes upon combustion? SAFER because the liquid doesn't explode in your face as you're driving down the interstate?

In this press release, Dwane Baumgardner (Donnelly chairman and CEO) states, "Our new EC mirrors take safety two steps forward by eliminating the potential for fluid leaks and by dramatically improving the survivability of the product."

Therefore, I have two (2) questions for Magna:
1) Why is 'eliminating fluid leaks' considered a safety measure?
2) If it's considered a safety measure, why hasn't a recall been issued on the old 'liquid core' mirrors?

PRESS RELEASE....

SOURCE: Donnelly Corporation
WEBSITE: http://www.accidentreconstruction.co...9/111099a.html
Donnelly Announces Solid Polymer Matrix(TM) Technology for Safer, More Robust Auto-Dimming Mirrors

HOLLAND, Mich., Nov. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Donnelly Corporation (NYSE: DON - news), the world's leading supplier of automotive mirrors, has begun using Solid Polymer Matrix (SPM)(TM) technology to produce electrochromic (EC), automatic- dimming rearview mirrors that are safer and more robust than competing products available in the market today.

Donnelly designed its SPM(TM) technology to use a solid substance sandwiched between two pieces of glass, which darkens to reduce reflectivity when electric current is applied to it. With the older technology that is the industry standard today, the electrical current is applied to a liquid substance contained between two layers of glass. If the mirror is broken, the liquid substance can leak out and the mirror will fail immediately.

With Donnelly's Solid Polymer Matrix(TM) technology, there is no liquid substance to leak, and the mirror can continue to function for a period of time even if the glass is cracked.

"An electrochromic mirror is essentially a safety product; it makes driving safer by eliminating glare,'' said Dwane Baumgardner, Donnelly chairman and chief executive officer. "Our new EC mirrors take safety two steps forward by eliminating the potential for fluid leaks and by dramatically improving the survivability of the product.''

Over time, Donnelly plans to base most or all of its electrochromic mirror products on the company's Solid Polymer Matrix(TM) technology. EC mirrors using the technology will begin appearing on production vehicles in North America and Europe next year.

Over the past two years Donnelly has emerged as a strong competitor in the world market for electrochromic mirrors. During the last 12 months the company doubled its production of electrochromic mirrors, and is on track to double its EC sales again within the next 24 months.

Donnelly Corporation is the world's leading manufacturer of automotive mirrors. Through its mirror products and other product lines, Donnelly is a supplier to every major automotive manufacturer in the world. The company has been based in Holland, Michigan, since 1905, and today has approximately 6,000 employees in 12 countries worldwide. Donnelly has been named by the Society of Automotive Engineers as a model company in lean manufacturing practices. In addition, Donnelly is nationally recognized as a leader in the application of participative management principles and systems.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

Thank you very much. That was helpful.

I'm going to look into getting a replacement.

Bob
My pleasure. Best of luck.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by obespalov
Re: Exploding Mirror - Chronic Sore Throat

Oh damn, I think this issue is going to get lost in the 19 pages of posts here, and rightfully deserves it's own post. PLEASE, for so many reasons, repost it to the main page. If even one other person is affected, we need to know!

Did they only make mirrors for Acura TL? You may want to google to see if there is precedent for other mirror makers issuing a recall/getting sued.
According to their website, magna is the largest distributer of these mirrors to ALL manufactures of cars. There should be a ton more info for a lawsuit. Mercury poisoning is a permanant disability and can cause a multitude of problems.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:14 PM
'02 TL Type S

I have just experienced this in my 02 TL-S. The tread is confusing about when or if the mirrors were changed to a solid core model. Can someone clarify which model I have?

Regardless I have contacted Dani/Heath via e-mail to pursue a replacement. (9/1/06)

I will keep you posted.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Did your mirror actually leak?

If so, was there any warning such as an optical distortion or bubble?

Bob

Originally Posted by NrKissed
I have just experienced this in my 02 TL-S. The tread is confusing about when or if the mirrors were changed to a solid core model. Can someone clarify which model I have?

Regardless I have contacted Dani/Heath via e-mail to pursue a replacement. (9/1/06)

I will keep you posted.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spineman
According to their website, magna is the largest distributer of these mirrors to ALL manufactures of cars. There should be a ton more info for a lawsuit. Mercury poisoning is a permanant disability and can cause a multitude of problems.
Yes, you're correct. In fact, there's an attorney in Georgia that wants to file a class action lawsuit against Magna on my behalf. What do you think?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i called heath at magna donnelly back some time in march or april and emailed him twice about it and guess what showed up yesterday right after my mirror had completly stopped dimming and after i had to unplug it due to a burning smell or idk and then when i went to go to work yesterday i had three huge bubbles and when i put it in the return box... yeah within 15 minutes it was leaking everywhere i almost passed out because i was going to wait until this weekend to put it in lol
Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Drifting

How long did it take to go from the first observed problem to the fluid leak?

Was a bubble the first indication of a problem?

Bob
Originally Posted by georgy_d28
i called heath at magna donnelly back some time in march or april and emailed him twice about it and guess what showed up yesterday right after my mirror had completly stopped dimming and after i had to unplug it due to a burning smell or idk and then when i went to go to work yesterday i had three huge bubbles and when i put it in the return box... yeah within 15 minutes it was leaking everywhere i almost passed out because i was going to wait until this weekend to put it in lol
Old 09-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Racer

How long did it take to go from the first observed problem to the fluid leak?

Was a bubble the first indication of a problem?

Bob
No actually my mirror stopped dimming on the right half of the mirror over a year ago but i wasnt going to buy a new one i just turned it off then a few months ago i turned it on and it turned almost all black in the middle of the night and it took a few days to clear up then i saw this thread and called i received it right in time because i would have flipped had it exploded in my car when i had waited months for this mirror
Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 09-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

I received my replacement mirror from Magna Donnelly last Friday and I installed it this afternoon with no problems. I have to say I am quite impressed with MD's service and commitment to product quality.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by georgy_d28
...then i saw this thread and called i received it right in time...
Just curious...What do you mean by you 'received right in time'?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:39 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Just read through all 10 pages of this thread, great info, and disappointed in myself for not going through the thread until now. My mirror has had a bubble for ~6 months... no more putting it off and betting on luck. I am going to email Heath now and see what I can do about a replacement. Will keep all of you posted.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MikePA
Just curious...What do you mean by you 'received right in time'?
I posted earlier that not 15 minutes after i put the new mirror on it exploded in the return box...

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror exploded!