Rear View Mirror exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Let us know if you need any help getting it on..
Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
dani just emailed me today saying fedex will get me a tracking number once it's out... hopefully i'll get it soon
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaKillTron
Just got mine. You get yours Larry?

It only took close to 4 weeks. I also got pulled over yesterday but luckily he didn't give me any shit about it.
Yup, I got mine today. It took four weeks almost exactly. I put it on tonight and it went on no problems - the only thing is I was expecting there to be a satisfying "click" when I slid it over the button (metal thing glued to the windshield) but there wasn't any indication at all that it was on all the way. Still, it seems to be pretty solidly attached.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dro_15
dani just emailed me today saying fedex will get me a tracking number once it's out... hopefully i'll get it soon
She told me that too but I never got an email from Fedex - after 3 days I emailed her and she sent me the tracking number.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry1030
the only thing is I was expecting there to be a satisfying "click" when I slid it over the button (metal thing glued to the windshield) but there wasn't any indication at all that it was on all the way. Still, it seems to be pretty solidly attached.
Yea, I noticed this same thing. Mine never clicked when I installed it but it has held on for a few months now.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Yea, I noticed this same thing. Mine never clicked when I installed it but it has held on for a few months now.
That's good to hear. I'm hoping I'm done with this mirror saga now.

BTW, I want to thank everyone who posted in this thread, because without you all I never would have known what was wrong with my mirror, what danger it posed, how to get a free replacement, or how to remove and replace it. So, THANK YOU.

I had never stumbled across this forum before, but from now on whenever I have any questions about my TL this will be the first place I come!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone here had an onstar equipped mirror go bad?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dealt with Dani @ Magna Donnelly approx. 6 weeks ago. She was extremely responsive. I emailed a letter detailing the problem and she returned my email within an hour. She emailed me the claim form (a microsoft word doc.) and I filled it out and emailed it back.

The very next day, the new mirror was on my doorstep. They FEDEX overnighted it! If people are not receiving mirrors, contact her by phone or email. Magna Donnelly is treating this problem very seriously.

Chris
'99 TL-P
Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM
The wood god

Originally Posted by Larry1030
Yup, I got mine today. It took four weeks almost exactly. I put it on tonight and it went on no problems - the only thing is I was expecting there to be a satisfying "click" when I slid it over the button (metal thing glued to the windshield) but there wasn't any indication at all that it was on all the way. Still, it seems to be pretty solidly attached.
Yeah that was kind of irritating, I wanted to keep pushing but then again I didn't want to break the glass.

Let us know if you need any help getting it on..
Thank you but it bolted right up!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same experience. No reassuring click when I slid the mirror into place. I didn't want to apply any more force because of all the damaged windshield stories so I just left it that way.

Just last week, about 8 months after installing the mirror, I noticed that the image in the mirror seemed to be jittery. I checked the mirror and, sure enough, it was in the early stages of working its way off the sliding mount. I pushed it back into place with a bit more force this time but I still didn't get a click. So we'll see what happens down the road.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

How to Clean up after Rearview Leak?

Has anyone had any success cleaning up the leakage from the rearview mirror? It happened to my daughters car this weekend. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Acura appears not to care.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unhappy MN
Has anyone had any success cleaning up the leakage from the rearview mirror? It happened to my daughters car this weekend. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Acura appears not to care.
You might want to contact Magna Donnelly via one of the email addresses posted in this thread. They might have some tips for cleaning the interior since they know what the fluid contains. But you may be stuck replacing parts. The first post in this thread mentions that the fluid will damage both plastics and leather.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM
07 TL Type S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my new mirror on yesterday! It was a piece of cake! The hardest part is wiggling the frame out of place once you get everything unscrewed. And it was hot as SH!T outside with the sun beating down through the windshield...that sucked. New mirror! Yay!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Unhappy MN
This has also happened to my daughter’s car. Destroying her console & seats. I have met with the same resistance from the local dealer. They initially agreed to replace the mirror & console. When she asked about the seats, they then decided to do nothing.

For the owners that have had major damage done to the interiors of their cars, it seems a bit ridiculous to me to be requesting a mirror replacement when the mirror has possibly caused upwards of $2,000.00 worth of damage to the interior. The feeble argument that it’s – OUT OF WARRANTY - appears to have placated many of the owner's that have suffered damages.

To put this in perspective, lets say you buy a refrigerator for your kitchen. At the end of its warranty do you have any expectations that it is going to destroy your kitchen? I think not.

I don't want a new mirror. I want the console, seats, carpets and anything else that this defective product has destroyed in my daughter’s car replaced, and I want to know the chemical makeup of the liquid that she and my grandchild has been exposed to.

I would like to hear back from all that may have a similar mindset.

Please send contact information to fred.edelen@gmail.com.

I hope to hear from many of you.

Thank you for your time & interest
Old 09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nuance
This has also happened to my daughter’s car. Destroying her console & seats. I have met with the same resistance from the local dealer. They initially agreed to replace the mirror & console. When she asked about the seats, they then decided to do nothing.

For the owners that have had major damage done to the interiors of their cars, it seems a bit ridiculous to me to be requesting a mirror replacement when the mirror has possibly caused upwards of $2,000.00 worth of damage to the interior. The feeble argument that it’s – OUT OF WARRANTY - appears to have placated many of the owner's that have suffered damages.

To put this in perspective, lets say you buy a refrigerator for your kitchen. At the end of its warranty do you have any expectations that it is going to destroy your kitchen? I think not.

I don't want a new mirror. I want the console, seats, carpets and anything else that this defective product has destroyed in my daughter’s car replaced, and I want to know the chemical makeup of the liquid that she and my grandchild has been exposed to.

I would like to hear back from all that may have a similar mindset.

Please send contact information to fred.edelen@gmail.com.

I hope to hear from many of you.

Thank you for your time & interest

Fred,

I understand your anger. My mirror just failed on Saturday, ironically that was the day I picked my 2000 TL up form the dealer after getting the tranny repaired, which brings me to my next train of thought, why not contact the same people that took up the tranny issue with Acura/Honda. I'm not advocating a law suit, but I think the customer service people at Acura/Honda could see the light, that they need to make this right or they will be looking at a new class action suit.

Fortunately for me the mirror hasn't leaked on the interior, but if it does I will raise h*ll and they wouldn't hear the end of me or my attorney until it was made right. Your logic is spot on. If that was my kitchen, they would surely be fixing it or else.

Bubba
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
6th Gear

I got my replacement mirror from donnely. I went to the auto glass shop and to replace it. Auto dim feature is not working. Is it supposed to work only in the night or day time also? My green light is on. but i donot see any change in the mirror in the sun light.

Please let me know.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nuance
....I don't want a new mirror. I want the console, seats, carpets and anything else that this defective product has destroyed in my daughter’s car replaced, and I want to know the chemical makeup of the liquid that she and my grandchild has been exposed to.....
Fred,

You might want to check out the "Health risk from rear view mirror" thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143190

There's some discussion of the chemicals used in the mirror.

Here's an excerpt that was written by forum member obespalov:

"..............I requested the list of chemicals used inside of these mirrors from Magna Donnelly (the manufacturer of these mirrors). Magna would not share this information with me, stating it's proprietary information and the chemicals (there are 7-8 of them) are patented.

A week later, I received a call on my cell phone from the Magna's Vice President, Neall Lynam, assuring me that the chemicals used in Magna's mirrors are not toxic. (I later discovered that he had lied to me.) I also asked him why a recall hadn't been issued on these mirrors, and he stated that he felt it was not necessary. .....

I hired an attorney to subpoena the list of chemicals from Magna. To my (and my attorney's) surprise, all of the chemicals used in their mirrors are highly toxic. One of the main symptoms, upon being exposed to these chemicals, is a chronic sore throat and interstinal problems.

I signed a disclaimer with Magna, therefore, I'm unable to disclose this information.

My attorney is filing suit against Magna Donnelly for personal damages to my car and injuries suffered as a result of their carelessness to issue a recall on their rearview mirrors."
Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jkonduru
I got my replacement mirror from donnely. I went to the auto glass shop and to replace it. Auto dim feature is not working. Is it supposed to work only in the night or day time also? My green light is on. but i donot see any change in the mirror in the sun light.

Please let me know.
It only works at night.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 AM
9th Gear

If the mirror has a spot take the mirror out and request a new one. I still think that the people claiming they are ill from the fumes and hypochondriacs. If your out of warranty fridge has the ice maker go bad and leaks water on you hardwood floor will you get a new floor?

I do feel bad for people that have had their cars harmed by the fluid leaking. The only way I think an attorney would take the case is if you got a class action. Suing for 2K and having a lawyer representing you hardly makes sense as you would eat up 2K in legal fees before you even got started.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Please let me know.
The mirror is designed to darken when it is dark and headlights are detected shining from behind.

To test:

Cover the sensor on the front (forward facing) side of the mirror with your finger. If light is shining in the rear facing sensor at the same time (as it normally would be in daytime hours), after a few seconds the mirror will darken significantly.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Fred,

You might want to check out the "Health risk from rear view mirror" thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143190

There's some discussion of the chemicals used in the mirror.

Here's an excerpt that was written by forum member obespalov:

"..............I requested the list of chemicals used inside of these mirrors from Magna Donnelly (the manufacturer of these mirrors). Magna would not share this information with me, stating it's proprietary information and the chemicals (there are 7-8 of them) are patented.

A week later, I received a call on my cell phone from the Magna's Vice President, Neall Lynam, assuring me that the chemicals used in Magna's mirrors are not toxic. (I later discovered that he had lied to me.) I also asked him why a recall hadn't been issued on these mirrors, and he stated that he felt it was not necessary. .....

I hired an attorney to subpoena the list of chemicals from Magna. To my (and my attorney's) surprise, all of the chemicals used in their mirrors are highly toxic. One of the main symptoms, upon being exposed to these chemicals, is a chronic sore throat and interstinal problems.

I signed a disclaimer with Magna, therefore, I'm unable to disclose this information.

My attorney is filing suit against Magna Donnelly for personal damages to my car and injuries suffered as a result of their carelessness to issue a recall on their rearview mirrors."
I went to the thread linked here but couldn't find this post - so I'll reply to it here instead: Patents are public information. If the chemicals are truly patented, you should be able to find their descriptions in the patent. Then go to the u.s. patent office web site (http://www.uspto.gov/patft/) and look up the patent. For example, the following query will find all patents assigned to Donnelly containing the word "mirror" (this search returns 508 patents, so you may want to refine it further):

"mirror AND an/donnelly" (enter text inside quotes into advanced search query box).
Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Here's a query for patents assigned to Donnelly between 1/1/1970 and 1/1/2000 for automatic liquid electrochromic mirrors:

automatic AND mirror AND an/donnelly AND electrochromic AND liquid AND ISD/1/1/1977->1/1/2000

It only returns 32 hits -so get out your high school chemistry book and go to town!

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...3E1%2F1%2F2000
Old 09-06-2007, 01:16 PM
6th Gear

thanks for the clarification on the mirror. I will check it today. I ahve another problem in the car which is inside ceiling liner started to come off. Did anybody have this situation. if i need to fix that, where do i need to go.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I ahve another problem in the car which is inside ceiling liner started to come off. Did anybody have this situation. if i need to fix that, where do i need to go.
That would need to be a new thread.
Do you smoke? That's been known to cause the adhesive on the liner to release.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
File a complaint with NHTSA

For those that have had to replace their mirror, you should file a complaint with NHTSA (national highway transportation saftey admin). If enough complaints are filed, an investigation by NHTSA will be launched. If you search on this site (www.nhtsa.gov), you can see that an investigation was completed on the TL transmission.

You can start the complaint at this link below...
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I hope everyone files so the rest of us don't have to suffer any damage to our interior.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
6th Gear

Not really. I used to smoke long time ago. But not many in the car. DO i need to buy complete liner to get it fixed. or can i just use the fabric glue to stick that
Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 AM
9th Gear

Has anyone had a mirror leak externally before they got a grayish green spot in the mirror?

AFAIK the new mirrors do not have the fluid so if you are really afraid of it leaking and do not have a spot spend the $130 and replace the mirror. If $130 is too much money for you just take it out and stick a cheap replacement mirror on the windshield. I think this is more of a nuisance then a safety issue!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:40 AM
9th Gear

the same thing happened this past summer with my 01 CL-s. but mine slowly leaked. I think it was because of the heat. I parked it in the sun for 8 hours a day and it was over 95 outside. Sorry
Old 09-07-2007, 03:40 PM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well i finally finished reading this GRUELING Thread of 19 pages. REDICULOUS. Anyways, ive already emaile Dani, she wont be back to work till next monay on September 10th which i guess is when she'll get my email and read it. Ive also called that Heath guy and his voicemail came on also saying that he was busy. Idk, this company sounds wack because how you gona have a company like that and then no one ever answers a damn phone, not one person. Doesnt make sense to me. Anyways, until then, i have my mirror bagged in plastic and paper towels in place everywhere in the event that a massive NUCLEAR EXPLOSION OF MIRROR FLUID WOULD OCCUR so that i can protect my intierior LMAO!!!!!!!!! HAHA. I plan on removing the mirror as soon as i get home from work in an hour. Until i get in true contact with dani, ill be riddin dirty with no rear view mirror HOLLA!!! not that its anything to be proud of lol. PEACE.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
only try and remove the mirror when the glass is cool (i.e. morning or night)... i just happened to do it at the worst time... about 1ish... so needless to say i cracked my windshield and now i know..... so the glass guy educated me...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 PM
99TL-p 114K

UPDATE, i removed my rear view mirror last friday. It off pretty easy. A little wiggling in the proper direction and the help of a screw driver to stick into the side. I dont think the windshield glass has to be COOL or anything to remove it, i took mine out when the glass was no super cool at all. You just gotta be smart and do things the proper way so you dont break other things. Anyways, i been drivin with no rear view mirror and using my passenger side flip down mirror as a temporary asist. It works believe it or not. And i just driver extra careful for that matter. Well, i guess Dani from Magna Donelly comes back tommorow i believe since she said she'll be out till September 10th. I gotta see if i get a reply to my email i sent her tommorow. Hopefully. No rear view mirror sucks but i had to prevent my shit from gettting ruined from that liquid. I bagged the mirror and put it in a corner of my garge lol. Atleast i supressed the threat lol.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If you read thru here you found danis email - just say, I have a TL with the mirror prob- mine has spots or doesnt dim-
supply your VIN number shipping address current miles Your Name
She sends a form in Word you can fax back or email back- it just has your name vin miles and prob on it on their form

This is a PRO BONO (Dani's words) gesture on their part- so lay off the lawsuit talk people-please~
Smart car owners belong to a forum and are aware of this prob and the trans issues and....
Be glad- most cars over 50k have no warranty at all- unless you by a Kia
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
This is a PRO BONO (Dani's words) gesture on their part- so lay off the lawsuit talk people-please~
Smart car owners belong to a forum and are aware of this prob and the trans issues and....
Be glad- most cars over 50k have no warranty at all- unless you by a Kia

Yeah, but what do you tell the guy who has his interior ruined by an exploding mirror, "sorry, here have a new mirror". I don't think so. If it's my interior that's ruined, I'm getting it replaced and put back to the same condition it was in before their part self-destructed. If not, then yes, I'm suing, because that is the right thing to do, and no, I'm not law suit happy, but I believe it is the right thing to do, and if they won't make it right I will ask a court to force them. This is a known defect and Honda/Acura should have recalled these mirrors a while ago. If they don't recall them and interiors get ruined or even a worse event happens, perhaps one explodes while someone is driving and this thing causes a fatal accident, well I don't think you have to buy an inferior car (Kia/Hyundai/Mitsubishi) to get a 10 year warranty, when all you need is honesty in a car company.

Mine is broken (bubble at the top) and I am waiting for Dani or Steve to call or email me back. I have been since last Wednesday, but they're both out, or were both out last week.

Bubba
Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Reading all about this, you learn they dont legally have to do squat- thats why its called Pro Bono, a good faith gesture on their part

To put in comparison- not all the mirrors fail
Not all transmissions fail

Trans gives warning signs before stranding you
Mirror gets funny spots and auto dim not work

No need to recall every car and replace items that may be fine- right?
So they make extended warranties and goodwill gestures
to those with the prob

Take the car to a detail shop and tell them what happened- they can fix anything

If you had gotten a flat tire and kept driving, damaged the rim and then flipped the car
Is that Acuras fault- or tire maker- or roads dept?
Or should you just get some hi performance driving lessons

Yes it sucks when it happens- it sucks Acura dealers service writers dont know about it (what they dont make commission on, they dont want to know about)

It DIDNT suck: that all I had to do was email dani and get a new mirror before mine went bozonko explode-
thanks to azine- I knew what to look for in trans failure and mirror prob and what spark plugs are good for the TL and Seafoam!!!!!!!
Chances are they close the place for a week or 2 and everyone takes vacation and will be returning calls soon
The Daily Show was off for 2 weeks too
Old 09-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by flying_bubba
Yeah, but what do you tell the guy who has his interior ruined by an exploding mirror, "sorry, here have a new mirror". I don't think so. If it's my interior that's ruined, I'm getting it replaced and put back to the same condition it was in before their part self-destructed. If not, then yes, I'm suing, because that is the right thing to do, and no, I'm not law suit happy, but I believe it is the right thing to do, and if they won't make it right I will ask a court to force them. This is a known defect and Honda/Acura should have recalled these mirrors a while ago. If they don't recall them and interiors get ruined or even a worse event happens, perhaps one explodes while someone is driving and this thing causes a fatal accident, well I don't think you have to buy an inferior car (Kia/Hyundai/Mitsubishi) to get a 10 year warranty, when all you need is honesty in a car company.

Mine is broken (bubble at the top) and I am waiting for Dani or Steve to call or email me back. I have been since last Wednesday, but they're both out, or were both out last week.

Bubba
I am an attorney and I didn't even throw out the "legal" threats. You can't expect everything to work 100% ... hey even condoms aren't 100% effective. There is risk in life and sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks. My mirror was starting to go and Dani said they were on backorder... in no time i had a new one and installed it myself for free.

Trust me, I owned lots of cars and they've all had problems... don't even make me get in to the 1993 GMC Jimmy (aka the metal sled), but this car is a lot of fun to drive.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 AM
99TL-p 114K

Just to let you all know, Its now been two days after September 10th which is the date that DANI said she would be out till. I've emailed her twice now. I've called yesterday and today and still no answer. Both times i get a voice mail. When i called yesterday it was the same "I'll be out till September 10th" voicemail and when i called today i got an automated "Dani is not available" Message. I'm really starting to think that this company is BOGUS. How you gona have a big name company but yet, No one responding to any emails, and not one damn person answers there fucken phones. ITS BULLSHIT!!! I've been driving without a mirror since friday because i took mine out to prevent damage to the inside before it EXPLODES. Anyone else know what im talking about when it comes to trying to get in touch with these people???????????? Tell me im not alone.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Rearview Mirror Class Action Lawsuit

I am CEMCFLC, the individual that originally posted the information regarding a class action lawsuit against Magna Donnelly, the manufacturer of my defective rearview mirror. First, I would like to thank the individual that posted a new thread under this same website named "Health risk from rear view mirror". Secondly, I would like to apologize for not responding to this thread sooner. I haven't viewed the Acurazine website for quite some time now, as I'm very busy w/work, family, pets, etc.

I feel that it's important to note that I, and my fiance, both earn six figures a year, so the money is not a factor in this case. For those of you that are skeptics and feel this case is not justifiable, please know that I am highly educated, an outstanding member of my community, and have received numerous IT-related awards throughout the years. This class action lawsuit is not just about the health risks associated w/contamination to the toxic chemicals in Magna's rearview mirrors, but also about the millions [perhaps, billions] of dollars of damage sustained when a rearview mirror ruptures.

Magna Donnelly is knowingly imposing these risks upon the public, yet they're not willing to issue a recall on these defective mirrors. Additionally, most warranties just happen to exclude this particular component of your car. To date, Magna Donnelly has willingly replaced [millions?] of these rearview mirrors (at no charge) to consumers of Acura's, Honda's, and numerous other automobile manufacturers.

Last year, my attorney and I signed a non-disclosure agreement w/Magna Donnelly requiring them to reveal the chemical contents of their rearview mirrors. Upon further investigation, it was determined that all of the chemicals in Magna Donnelly's old rearview mirrors are toxic when inhaled. Although, I'm unable to reveal the chemical contents to anyone (due to the non-disclosure agreement I was required to sign) please understand that if you're mirror has just exploded and you're in your car with the doors closed, the windows up, and the interior of your car is 120 degrees+, and you've inhaled these toxic fumes, I'm almost certain that it can't be beneficial to you or anyone else in your car (not excluding a pregnant woman and her fetus).

Two years ago, the rearview mirror in my 2000 Acura TL exploded and a black liquid sprayed throughout the interior of my car. It corroded a large hole through my center console (which was replaced by Acura/Honda at no charge), damaged my leather seats and carpet (which Acura/Honda refused to replace, but did perform a thorough cleaning of both...the dealer invoice stated MERCURY leak), and also prompted the replacement of my rearview mirror (which was also replaced by Acura/Honda at no charge).

Just imagine...if chemicals are toxic enough to corrode a hole through your center console, what effect do those chemicals have on you when inhaled?

Prior to being exposed to these chemicals, I was a very healthy, athletic woman. Coincidently, upon exposure, I became ill w/chronic fevers, sore throats, sinus and gastrointestinal problems...all of which I (and my attorney) believe are toxic effects resulting from exposure to the toxic chemicals (primarily, when inhaled...not ingested) outlined in Magna Donnelly's MSDS sheet.

If you are interested in joining the class action lawsuit against Magna Donnelly, please search for the thread under this website named "Health risk from rear view mirror" and post your response. I will follow up w/you, accordingly.

Regards,

CEMCFLC
Old 09-12-2007, 05:47 PM
My baby's daddy

well, dang! I didn't expect to see this thread... Let me know if I can help
Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
RoadRunner

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusky
I have to call Acura customer service tomorrow. I read my extended warranty literature and it indeed calls out the rear view mirror as not being covered. I don't think this is what they had in mind when the clause was written but it releases them of responsibility. This is good and bad. Since the warranty people are clearly exempt, perhaps Acura will step up and take care of this for me, rather than trying to pass the buck.

If not, I will have to check into small claims court. If it appears to be something I can do, I'll go that route. If it is over my head, I may have to get a lawyer and then pursue getting the entirety of the damage corrected. That would include the carpet stains and the driver's seat. I really don't want to go through that and feel that Acura would not produce the quality car that they do if they didn't maintain a level of excellence corporate wide. I am probably dealing with the first line of people who don't care as much as they should about their customers. We have yet to see...

p.s. I would definitely recommend that anyone seeing the darkened appearance of a defective or broken mirror replace it immediately. The liquid dripped out of the seam and truly devalued my vehicle
Did you purchase a 3rd party warranty? Also you may want to contact Acura Corporate and speak to one of the regional managers. Here is the information that I pulled from the owner's site

Your dealer is the first stop for questions or concerns about your vehicle. Contact your Acura dealer for information about service and maintenance, warranty repairs, Acura Genuine Parts, and more. For further assistance, feel free to contact Acura Client Services.

Acura Client Services
Acura Client Services stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Acura vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

By Phone
Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 382-2238

By Fax
(310) 783-3535

By Mail
Acura Client Services
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Acura Client Services is more than happy to help with U.S. Acura vehicle concerns, but is unable to address questions with non-U.S. products. For Canadian inquiries, please call Acura Canada Client Services at 1-888-922-8729.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:53 AM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by citidelx
Did you purchase a 3rd party warranty? Also you may want to contact Acura Corporate and speak to one of the regional managers. Here is the information that I pulled from the owner's site

Your dealer is the first stop for questions or concerns about your vehicle. Contact your Acura dealer for information about service and maintenance, warranty repairs, Acura Genuine Parts, and more. For further assistance, feel free to contact Acura Client Services.

Acura Client Services
Acura Client Services stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Acura vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

By Phone
Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 382-2238

By Fax
(310) 783-3535

By Mail
Acura Client Services
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Acura Client Services is more than happy to help with U.S. Acura vehicle concerns, but is unable to address questions with non-U.S. products. For Canadian inquiries, please call Acura Canada Client Services at 1-888-922-8729.
I removed my mirror out of the car. It did not explode yet but it did go bad. It is clearly visible that the mirror could and will explode at any given day or time. It is out of my car and nuthing inside my car was damaged but, should i call that Acura Client Services that they are refering to here first before actually persuing a mirror replacement through Magna Donelley because Maga Donelley is not replying to anything i have sent them. Its been a week and they still havent responded to my emails or phone call. Do i need to call Acura Client Services and see if Acura is willing to replace it free of charge just as a good deed since this is happening to everyone?????

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror exploded!