Rear View Mirror exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to chime in from Toronto Canada. Thank to this forum, I Got my mirror from Dani and got it replace at the dealership. No more bubble in mirror
Old 05-02-2007, 10:42 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by denverdandb
The same defect happened on my 01 Cl, the mirror fluid is corrosive and required me to replace all the plastic parts that it touched, the car was still warrantied and the dealership (Mile High Honda/Acura) said that they had never seen anything like it before. If it got on your leather good luck, that stuff is tarry and nasty and corrosive like i said. It probably ruined the spots on the seats that it touched to tell you the truth. when i got it on my hands it gave me a chemical burn. Try some saddle soap, you know, for nice horse saddles with a sponge and some good leather conditioner to atleast get the stain out but the chemical will probably take off the top layer of the leather that it touched. I have no idea what to tell you about the rest man, I hope you can get it replaced.
Check this out - Health risk from rear view mirror
Old 05-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
See this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143190

Bob
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 AM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by Bob_F
That's same one mine is linked to
Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
That's same one mine is linked to....
Funny! I didn't realize that that your post included a clickable link!

Bob
Old 05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
10th Gear

I've contacted Acura client services in CA. They told me to call my local dealership. Being my 2000 is out of warrenty, dealership said "fat chance"
Ironically, Acura client services called me back a few minutes later and wanted to know more about my situation and the research I've done. They may be able to work something out with my dealership?
I contacted Dani but no response...
My situation: Yesterday on my way to work I saw the dreaded Oval. Not knowing what it was I found this thread online. I read all (15) pages and yet on my way home from work, it actually leaked!!!! I was flipping out. The nasty black chemicals dripped down to the center console and when I wiped it away, it had already melted the plastic I got this stuff on my skin.
Most worrysome? We have a 17 month old daughter who rides in the backseat. I too am fearful of any hazardous chemical in the air.
I'm going to email Dani at Magna Donnelly again and see what becomes. I did take pics tho.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Akiva1080
I've contacted Acura client services in CA. They told me to call my local dealership. Being my 2000 is out of warrenty, dealership said "fat chance"
Ironically, Acura client services called me back a few minutes later and wanted to know more about my situation and the research I've done. They may be able to work something out with my dealership?
I contacted Dani but no response...
My situation: Yesterday on my way to work I saw the dreaded Oval. Not knowing what it was I found this thread online. I read all (15) pages and yet on my way home from work, it actually leaked!!!! I was flipping out. The nasty black chemicals dripped down to the center console and when I wiped it away, it had already melted the plastic I got this stuff on my skin.
Most worrysome? We have a 17 month old daughter who rides in the backseat. I too am fearful of any hazardous chemical in the air.
I'm going to email Dani at Magna Donnelly again and see what becomes. I did take pics tho.
Sorry to read about that. If you haven't already you might just want to remove the mirror altogether. It's easy to do with the instructions found in this thread.

And Dani typically responds very quickly to the replacement mirror requests. So give that a day or so for a response and then send another email. There are also email addresses for other Magna Donnelly contacts in this thread.

Perhaps you could post some of the photos of the mirror and the damage here?

Good luck with the cleanup and mirror replacement!

Bob
Old 05-10-2007, 07:35 PM
No He Can't

^^ ^^ I would take it out before you get the new one.. just in case..
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
10th Gear

good idea

Yes, I think that is a good idea to remove it anyway. I cleaned what I could but there's still more chemicals dripping I'm sure. I put paper towels all around for now but I think I'll remove it this morning.
As far as contacting the people at MD, I'll wait for a response and if not call back again monday.
If I haven't said it above, I appreciate all the help I've gotten from the people in this thread

First pic is self explanatory. When I wiped away the chemicals, it left a hole burned in the plastic. Second pic is a little tough to see but I was trying to show the stuff dripping from the mirror. The third is also difficult to see but I was showing the half tinted hazy mirror.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:09 PM
10th Gear

Well just a lil update. Acura services called me and explained the dealer has no responsibility once the warranty is over. Fine. What they did mention that might solve some worry in this thread is that the chemicals inside the mirror is liquid quartz...like the stuff in digital watches and calculators. Its not harmful to humans but has a chemical reaction with plastic. (do I believe that? maybe).
Good news- Dani contacted us and is sending a replacement mirror! Thumbsup for her and MD.

Now the awful news. Winshield cracked when tugging off the mirror boo hooo I didnt even pull that hard.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Well just a lil update. Acura services called me and explained the dealer has no responsibility once the warranty is over. Fine. What they did mention that might solve some worry in this thread is that the chemicals inside the mirror is liquid quartz...like the stuff in digital watches and calculators. Its not harmful to humans but has a chemical reaction with plastic. (do I believe that? maybe).
Good news- Dani contacted us and is sending a replacement mirror! Thumbsup for her and MD.

Now the awful news. Winshield cracked when tugging off the mirror boo hooo I didnt even pull that hard.
I'm sorry to read about your cracked windshield. Be sure to select a quality replacement windshield. The OEM factory glass is made by AP Tech. I had a new AP Tech windshield installed for about $290 last year.

As to the possible toxicity of the liquid in the mirror, see this Health risk from rear view mirror thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143190

The originator of that thread wrote:

I hired an attorney to subpoena the list of chemicals from Magna. To my (and my attorney's) surprise, all of the chemicals used in their mirrors are highly toxic. One of the main symptoms, upon being exposed to these chemicals, is a chronic sore throat and interstinal problems.

Read the thread for additional details. Perhaps limited exposure is no big deal.

Bob
Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 PM
10th Gear

Thanx for your advice on the APtech glass.
After a bit of searching around, I just got my windshield replaced this morning. They came out to my house, and did all the work, and as far as I can see it looks 100% identical except for the Honda (still says APtech). Very professional. Even replaced the mirror with the new one that Dani sent!
Total cost... $150 thanx for everyone's advice

Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 PM
No He Can't

You got a great deal on the windshield replacement, especially for it being the glass that Acura uses in the first place. Did you get the rest of the stuff cleaned up from your interior? I wouldn't like all that stuff all over the place in my car after reading the other "Health Risk" thread. But I'm in Florida which would magnify the problem because when it gets hot in the car with the windows rolled up, the chemicals turn into vapor and you breathe it in when you get in the car. I don't know actually how dangerous this stuff is, but it is kind of weird how Magna Donnelly just passes these things out pretty much no questions asked.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

Not to say I don't believe what was mentioned about the toxicity and health related issues, but i guess its one of those "gotta see it to believe it" things, and I know he signed a no disclosure so fat chance of that huh. I'm more inclined to believe that it was in fact liquid quartz...like the stuff in watches and calculators.
We just moved here to the San Fernando Valley in SoCal so tell me about the heat! I believe thats what caused the chain of events in the first place. >95 degree heat with windows rolled up in full sun. But yea, happy with the price and MD's good service. I'll be mailing back my original mirror to Dani this afternoon.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Thanx for your advice on the APtech glass.
After a bit of searching around, I just got my windshield replaced this morning. They came out to my house, and did all the work, and as far as I can see it looks 100% identical except for the Honda (still says APtech). Very professional. Even replaced the mirror with the new one that Dani sent!
Total cost... $150 thanx for everyone's advice
Wow! $150 with AP Tech glass is an awesome price!

And you're welcome for the help. This thread also saved me the cost of a replacement mirror.

Bob
Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Someone called in to Cartalk about this!

I wonder if this is a weakness with TLs. I heard someone call in on NPR's Cartalk and describe the exact problem on a G2 TL. Maybe Honda bought a bad batch of mirrors. It would be interesting to see if Honda will extend the warranty for something like this, which is unusual to say the least.
John
Old 05-18-2007, 10:55 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Johndoyle
I wonder if this is a weakness with TLs. I heard someone call in on NPR's Cartalk and describe the exact problem on a G2 TL. Maybe Honda bought a bad batch of mirrors. It would be interesting to see if Honda will extend the warranty for something like this, which is unusual to say the least.
John
I would doubt it. My mirror went bad after about 4.5 years. I even had an extened warranty, and Honda wouldn't cover it. They claimed mirrors are excluded. I pointed out that the mirror part was fine--no cracks. But the electronics contained in the mirror (elex ARE covered) is what failed. This bean-counter wouldn't budge. Not to mention that you are forced to buy a an OEM replacement mirror. The dealer agreed, and only had me pay for labor.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I'd rather be driving:

Dammit!! My mirror just took a dump!

I just contacted MD, let's see what happens...

I want a working mirror in my car!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:33 PM
8th Gear

For the people who've replaced their mirror - When you put the new one in, did it have a noticable 'click' or anything? I slid it up onto the bracket, and I had to push pretty hard, right now the metal bracket on the windshield is just hidden by the plastic of the mirror, but not by a lot. I rocked and pushed it for a while but it wouldn't go on any further. I just want to be sure it's on there properly.

Thanks for any help, and thanks so much for the info on getting a replacement mirror.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:44 PM
No He Can't

Yea, I didn't really hear a click or anything like that when I put mine on. Just as long as you don't drive too crazy, it should be fine as mine is still up and I often drive "spirited".
Old 05-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Instructor

just got mines installed, emailed dani, and he/she responded literally in seconds. two days later it came.

For those who got the mirror replaced, did it ever malfuntion again?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
No He Can't

ive had mine for a few months and it is fine. i think they fixed whatever the problem is and you shouldnt have a problem anymore.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:15 AM
3.2TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine Thursday night, installed thursday night and it was a bitch and I was breaking a sweat in the TL. I dont know if I put it back in right, all the way, it all looks right but idk, it could be my OCD perfectionist coming out.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RTizzo
just got mines installed, emailed dani, and he/she responded literally in seconds....
Dani is a she.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
if anyone needs a mirror, PM me...i got impatient and ordered the carland mirror 2 days before i got a response back from magnadon and carland wont let you return electrical parts...

for an 2003 but i guess it works with 2002 as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
if anyone needs a mirror, PM me...i got impatient and ordered the carland mirror 2 days before i got a response back from magnadon and carland wont let you return electrical parts...

for an 2003 but i guess it works with 2002 as well.
Post it in the Black Market Private Sales and Trades forum:

https://acurazine.com/forums/non-automotive-motorcycle-sales-9/

But it may be hard to sell since Magna Donnelly is sending out free replacements.

Bob
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

Hey does anyone know how i can get my shifter knob, the triming around the gear box and the the face of the radio or entire radio replaced???? Due to damage caused by the rear view mirror dimming liquid leaking out and dripping all over these parts. Will Acura replace these parts for me??? does anyone know???
Any cleaning solution you can recommend??
Please help.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Patience is a virtue....

how do you know if its broken or not? my tl is practicly new how does the dim feature work?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:36 PM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by 2oo2 TL type-s
Hey does anyone know how i can get my shifter knob, the triming around the gear box and the the face of the radio or entire radio replaced???? Due to damage caused by the rear view mirror dimming liquid leaking out and dripping all over these parts. Will Acura replace these parts for me??? does anyone know???
Any cleaning solution you can recommend??
Please help.
I would go there and tell them, it's worth a try. If not, contact Magna Donnelly and see if they will help with the payments of fixing stuff since it was their defective mirror that cause the damage to your interior parts. If neither of those work, go throuh your insurance and let them try and get the money from Acura or Magna.

Originally Posted by AgenaBluTL-S
how do you know if its broken or not? my tl is practicly new how does the dim feature work?
You will be able to tell if it was broken. When you push the Auto button on the bottom of it, and someone comes up behind you at night, you will be able to see it get dimmer and will be able to only see the headlights but it will not be bright where you can't even look behind you like in cars that do not have the auto dim mirror.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
pwnage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Wow

WOW.... I called Keith Flanery (With Megna Donnelly) at 616-786-7495 and told him that my rear view mirror exploded and he gave me no trouble whatsoever. He said all he had to do was ask me 5 questions and then Dani would send me a form. He asked my name, contact number, email address, and the state that I lived in and told me that Dani would send some for to me today via email and that everything would be taken car of free of charge. Impressive.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear

Has anybody replaced their plastic shifter plate (P, R, D, etc.) which was damaged by the corrosive liquid? Did you buy one (if so, how much did it cost and where did you get it)? Were you able to talk Acura into giving you a free replacement?

Thanks,
Kris
Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoung2112
Has anybody replaced their plastic shifter plate (P, R, D, etc.) which was damaged by the corrosive liquid? Did you buy one (if so, how much did it cost and where did you get it)? Were you able to talk Acura into giving you a free replacement?

Thanks,
Kris

Try this:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal

I assumed TL, 2002, AT. You can search a different year/model if you need to.

Looks like part 23 or 24. Both are under $10.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced

seeing that is problem is somewhat common, my question is would hardwiring my radar to the mirror affect or contribute to this issue in anyway? if so then i'll just turn off my autodim
Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
I think another thread like this thread jinxed me... 2 days after reading my mirror started to defect..just got off the phone with Magna, I will be sending them back the info today to get my new mirror....
Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
update: got my new mirror on Monday, had it replaced yesterday... Thanks fellas for the info.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by jlammers
seeing that is problem is somewhat common, my question is would hardwiring my radar to the mirror affect or contribute to this issue in anyway? if so then i'll just turn off my autodim
I don't think this would affect the life of the auto dim mirror.
The mirrors are defective as is, and will fail if you wire in the radar or not .
Old 07-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My sister just had her 2002 TL mirror leak. Here is the newest contact information she got at Magna:

Steve.Chenlo@MagnaDonnelly.com
Steve Chenlo
Quality Assurance
Office: 616-786-7495
Fax: 616-786-7560
Magna Donnelly Corporation
3575 128th Ave. North
Holland, Mi 49424
Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Instructor

I am just now having this problem with my TL. My mirror has developed this huge bubble in the center of it. I've contacted Steve Chenlo, so hopefully I'll get a response soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 PM
No He Can't

They usually do
Old 07-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtxbass1
I am just now having this problem with my TL. My mirror has developed this huge bubble in the center of it. I've contacted Steve Chenlo, so hopefully I'll get a response soon.
They typically send the mirrors out very quickly. I received mine within days of making the request.

You might want to remove the mirror or put a bag around it until you get a replacement. The fluid inside can damage your interior.

Bob

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror exploded!