Possible AV6 problems after 10K miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Possible AV6 problems after 10K miles

Hey guys, you probably remember all my posts towards the beginning of the year about my AV6 swap. I'm coming up on 10K now on the trans and everything has been great up until recently. I've noticed since it got cold that around 30-40 miles and hour and in 2nd and 3rd gear it jumps around. Not reving weird or anything it just feels like the trans has a rock in it that's bouncing around or something. I haven't touched the trans since it went in and it's time for a fluid flush. It was flushed with all new fluid when new. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. I don't want another trans failure on this car in such a short time. Any ideas? Would a flush do it? Thanks guys. As always you're the best.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
grab a sample of atf and send to blackstone labs with 20 dollars to be sure of whats floating around--normal or ooops!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
Try using D4 on the shifter and see if it helps.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Unhappy AV6 problems....

Originally Posted by 03blackbeast
I'm coming up on 10K now on the trans and everything has been great up until recently. I've noticed since it got cold that around 30-40 miles and hour and in 2nd and 3rd gear it jumps around.

Not reving weird or anything it just feels like the trans has a rock in it that's bouncing around or something. I haven't touched the trans since it went in and it's time for a fluid flush.

Try a drain & fill first. Check the drain plug's magnet for fines.
If the fluid appears discolored, change the ATF filter. Ya may also want to check some of the solenoid valves or pressure switches, especially if the old ones were reused when the "AV6" was installed.

Hopefully a simple fix !!!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Try a drain & fill first. Check the drain plug's magnet for fines.
If the fluid appears discolored, change the ATF filter. Ya may also want to check some of the solenoid valves or pressure switches, especially if the old ones were reused when the "AV6" was installed.

Hopefully a simple fix !!!
Well here's an update. So when I had the tranny installed I did it at a small shop near where I lived. I Topkapi then a new internal filter, spin on filter, and new fluid (12 quarts). I even took a new rear main seal for them. Well I did the first of 3 drain and fills yesterday and the fluid was practically black, the drain bolt was covered in shavings, and I pulled out about 4 quarts instead of the usual 3. I'm starting to think they didn't do a drain and fill since supposedly this was new fluid 10K miles ago and now is black as night. Kind of scary some now I don't know if they actually replaced the fillets or fluid or even the rear main deal or if they just installed it and kept all the parts I provided. I'm gonna do another season and fill next month and check the filters. 10 bucks says they're not new anymore. On the bright side though, my TL has never run so smooth. It snaps into every gear and runs smooth as butter. Just can't believe I trusted a shop for once with my car and it looks like they ripped me off...
Old 11-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Unhappy AV6 ..... 10k update, issues with 2>3 gears jumping

Well I did the first of 3 drain and fills yesterday and the fluid was practically black, the drain bolt was covered in shavings, and I pulled out about 4 quarts instead of the usual 3.

I'm starting to think they didn't do a drain and fill since supposedly this was new fluid 10K miles ago and now is black as night. Kind of scary some now I don't know if they actually replaced the fillets or fluid I provided. I'm gonna do another season and fill next month and check the filters. 10 bucks says they're not new anymore.

On the bright side though, my TL has never run so smooth. It snaps into every gear and runs smooth as butter.

So, now that ya did a D & F, is the tranny shifting better ?
How about what sounded like a rock bouncing around in it ?

While ya can only hope for the best at this point, I'd seriously try to get that old black fluid completely out
with the two other drains. All that burnt fluid and residual particulates will mess up the solenoids if left go.
Also, replace that old spin-on ATF filter and cut it open to see how it looks inside.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Instructor

So, now that ya did a D & F, is the tranny shifting better ?
How about what sounded like a rock bouncing around in it ?

While ya can only hope for the best at this point, I'd seriously try to get that old black fluid completely out
with the two other drains. All that burnt fluid and residual particulates will mess up the solenoids if left go.
Also, replace that old spin-on ATF filter and cut it open to see how it looks inside.
It shifts much better now. I'm doin another drain and fill after about 1000 miles and another after that. Supposedly they replaced the spin on filter so theoretically it should be new... But somehow I doubt that's the case.

It didn't have any noises or anything it just felt like rocks in there. It was a really bad slip in the gears. And when I took out the old fluid it smelled kinda burnt. Very bad sign, I know lol. Now there's no slipping at all. Just peeved that shop stole the stuff I got them to put in the car and did a half assed job. Could've cost me a tranny.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

How did the donor "AV6" tranny's fluid appear after ya got it back from the shop ?
Perhaps all they did was top off the fluid level. Did the AV6 tranny have any issues after being installed ?
If they replaced the ATF filter, it should still look new on the outside, IMO.

Consider doing the filter and another D & F sooner than 1000 miles to get that old shit out.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Instructor

How did the donor "AV6" tranny's fluid appear after ya got it back from the shop ?
Perhaps all they did was top off the fluid level. Did the AV6 tranny have any issues after being installed ?
If they replaced the ATF filter, it should still look new on the outside, IMO.

Consider doing the filter and another D & F sooner than 1000 miles to get that old shit out.
I honestly didn't get a chance to check it and I figured they flushed it so it was fine. There weren't any problems but it shifted kinda hard. Figured it was because it had been sitting. I'm gonna look at the filter later and see what it looks like. From the dip stock it looked fresh and new but the stuff that came out was super black. Not even a little red. I'll have to get it figured out. Really hope they at least changed the filters.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

It's possible that the newer synthetic based DW1 fluid cleaned up the old AV6's original ZL ATF and left what ya have now, IDK ? Anyways, the stuff needs to go for your tranny's best interest at this point.

It's a positive thing that the slipping and rocks went away !!! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Ok so it's been about 150-200 miles since I did the flush this past weekend. Everything was hunky dory at first but now the slipping has come back and it's affecting the other gears now too at low throttle. If I give it some gas there's no problem but without some gas it slips alot. Guess I need to invest in some more fluid and do another flush a little earlier than I wanted to. So frustrating that I'm having to do this and it was only just replaced in February.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
How many miles were on the AV6 transmission when you installed it?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Only 90K on it. And it was in great condition.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Did you get any kind of warranty? LKQ wouldn't give me one because the trans was going into a 00 acura, which the local acura dealer told them was not possible.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLer trash
Did you get any kind of warranty? LKQ wouldn't give me one because the trans was going into a 00 acura, which the local acura dealer told them was not possible.
Actually is from lkq and had a 6 month 6K warranty on it but it's been about 10 months now
Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Replace the spin-on ATF filter and try checking the solenoid screens & electrical connections.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Instructor

I'll be checking the filter on my next flush this weekend. I've looked and looked and can't find a definite answer on how to get to the screens. I've been thinking about doing them for a while but I don't have any idea how to get to them. I understand the general idea just need to know (pictures and stuff) where to go to find them.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
I dont think a fluid change is going to do much but if you are going to attempt it, try a cold drain and fill.May be that the internal filter is clogged.

Does it slip while cold or hot ?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Well the biggest problem lies in the fact that it's now got 100K on the tranny and I don't know whether or not the fluid was ever changed. Only had 90K when installed and the fluid that came out looks like it had been in there for a very long time. It was black as night. Which leads me to question whether or not the filters were changed at the time of install as well. I gave them 12 quarts fluid and filters but I don't have a way of knowing (other than sight) whether they were changed or not. It slips usually while hot. The slipping didn't start until it started to get cold out this fall. It's all very confusing.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Could someone do a quick DIY on the solenoid screens? I think we've all been waiting for one anyway.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd at least give lkq a call. They might do something, as you're not that far out of warranty. It couldn't hurt to try. They might be prone to sell you a lower mileage one if you kick in a little more money.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Check out Honda | Acura Research, Reviews, Performance Parts, Owners - Honda-Tech.com for great pics of our tranny being torn down. Also shows solenoids.

B7WA/M7WA:have-a-look-Honda-Tech, thread # 2506110 by Transguy37

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 12-13-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Did another drain and fill this past weekend and there's been basically no shuddering/slipping since. Plan to do another over the holiday weekend and it should eliminate any problems altogether. External filter looked good. But they may have just cleaned it outside. The fluid I'm getting out was black the first time and a dark purple the second time. There's no way clean fluid should look like this after just 10K miles. Which makes me think they probably didn't touch the internal filter. I'm also getting alot of shavings on the drain plug too. Just so lovely that I finally trusted my car to a shop since it was so damned cold out and I got the shaft. I'll keep y'all updated after the third drain and fill. On a better note I rolled 280K today!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

ATF spin-on filter.......

External filter looked good. But they may have just cleaned it outside. The fluid I'm getting out was black the first time and a dark purple the second time. There's no way clean fluid should look like this after just 10K miles. I'm also getting alot of shavings on the drain plug too.

It may be a good idea to have a sample of the fluid tested to know what's in it.
Also, cut that external ATF filter open to see what's lurking within the inside.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did another drain and fill this past weekend and there's been basically no shuddering/slipping since. Plan to do another over the holiday weekend and it should eliminate any problems altogether. External filter looked good. But they may have just cleaned it outside. The fluid I'm getting out was black the first time and a dark purple the second time. There's no way clean fluid should look like this after just 10K miles. Which makes me think they probably didn't touch the internal filter. I'm also getting alot of shavings on the drain plug too. Just so lovely that I finally trusted my car to a shop since it was so damned cold out and I got the shaft. I'll keep y'all updated after the third drain and fill. On a better note I rolled 280K today!
I'd all but guarantee you they didn't change the internal filter. It requires at least partial trans dis-assembly which would void your junkyard warranty, and more importantly, involve more work and risk. Keep changing your fluid. I've seen dw1 get really dark in a brand new honda with 10k on it. You might consider really CHANGING it to one of the several full synthetic fluids out there. There's lots of info in 3rd gen. on fluids, especially by "I hate cars", and "inaccurate". After a couple changes, you should get decent looking fluid; then change the external filter.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Instructor

See, that's what I had heard from fsstyms1 but I was a little weary. I would love to use the high mileage Valvoline Maxlife since it's way cheaper. Is that a pretty viable solution? Hate to keep spending twice as much on DW-1 if I don't have to. And if it means I don't need to worry about changing the internal filter then I'm more than all for it.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
See, that's what I had heard from fsstyms1 but I was a little weary. I would love to use the high mileage Valvoline Maxlife since it's way cheaper. Is that a pretty viable solution? Hate to keep spending twice as much on DW-1 if I don't have to. And if it means I don't need to worry about changing the internal filter then I'm more than all for it.

Honda's transmission 1st to 2nd shift feel relies heavily on OEM HONDA fluid not sure how much the MAXLIFE will affect the shifting but u can try and find out.