Seat heaters not working?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Seat heaters not working?

Being November in Canada I went to turn in the seat warmers this morning and they wouldn't turn on. Pressed the button for the desired heat setting and it registered the press but the indicator turned off again.

I could turn on the seat ventilation but not the heat, on either driver or passenger seat.
I guess this counts as my first official problem...
The following users liked this post:
Bell_1821 (01-05-2015)
Old 11-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by qwxilvr
Being November in Canada I went to turn in the seat warmers this morning and they wouldn't turn on. Pressed the button for the desired heat setting and it registered the press but the indicator turned off again.

I could turn on the seat ventilation but not the heat, on either driver or passenger seat.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can report I've been using mine off and on over the past week (temps in the 30's in the mornings and evenings) and they work great. Love the medium setting as my Accord only had low (barely warm) and high (would get REALLY warm then cool off) - the Med setting seems to be perfect for my tush.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Well, I was able to get seat heaters to work this afternoon after work.

I hope it was user error, and not an intermittent problem...

I guess I will monitor it for a couple days and see how it shakes out.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts
Hope they continue to work for ya!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by qwxilvr

I experienced this yesterday. My heated seat selection would not respond to my touching the screen. However, the ventilated selection responded appropriately. When I reached my destination I stopped and restarted the car then it worked fine. That was very odd and I will keep an eye on it to see if that happens again. This morning the heated seats worked correctly.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Wow! It went down to 62F yesterday, which is Winter in South Florida.

I was able to check/test the heated seats. Mine worked on first try.

That is good news.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Think how useful they would be to drivers in Buffalo (south of me), as they have received an insane 60" of snow over the last couple of days. Then again not useful as they should have stayed at home.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 47 Posts
I had the same problem this morning on my way to work. Once I arrived, I shut the car off and started it back up. They seemed to be working fine after that. Very odd...
Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PreludeVTEC01
I had the same problem this morning on my way to work. Once I arrived, I shut the car off and started it back up. They seemed to be working fine after that. Very odd...
Any chance the car is reducing electric load by turning them off? I had a car at one time (maybe a MB) that reduced loads, like the rear defroster, in low battery or high load situations. The manual is silent, just says don't use them with the engine off.

I do like the fact that it turns off after each drive. The manually positioned switches I've had don't, and add to start-up load in cold weather.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by jim256
Any chance the car is reducing electric load by turning them off? I had a car at one time (maybe a MB) that reduced loads, like the rear defroster, in low battery or high load situations. The manual is silent, just says don't use them with the engine off.

I do like the fact that it turns off after each drive. The manually positioned switches I've had don't, and add to start-up load in cold weather.
Interesting as that's one of the small things I don't like about the car. I much prefer the ease of reaching down and flicking a switch to turn them on/off as opposed to pushing on the touch screen a couple times.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim256

That is a possibility I guess... It would explain the transient nature of the behaviour, but I would like an information message indicating why it is declining to follow my direction.

I like the "auto" setting, but I wish it would be warmer longer...
Old 11-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
same problem with drivers seat heater. Pass seat works fine ?????
Old 12-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
On a couple of occasions after I have remote started the car the seat heaters are not on and I cannot get them to work. If I shut the car off and restart it, I have no problems. I have only had this happen after a remote start and not after every remote start.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
These are symptoms of software errors (fixed by a stop and restart), and as there is more automated control in recent cars these will happen. It could from the condition that the car was in when it was turned off or some other unusual condition.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:04 AM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
On a couple of occasions after I have remote started the car the seat heaters are not on and I cannot get them to work. If I shut the car off and restart it, I have no problems. I have only had this happen after a remote start and not after every remote start.
This is the exact case for me. While my car was at the dealership I had the service dept look into this....of course it worked fine and they could not duplicate it.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 PM
2016 Lexus ES 350

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
having same issue guys and opened a report directly with Acura. they have now contacted my local dealer and i caught it all on video to show them.

please see my vid on youtube.

The following users liked this post:
weather (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Good luck and let us know what Acura says...I am sure it is intended (or designed) to operate like that

In all seriousness, this is one advantage of youtube and camera phone these days....everything can be much better documented provided people take the time to do what you did...so Thanks on behalf of all TLX owners
Old 02-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This happens to me when I start the car while the remote start is operating.

I too also have to stop the engine and restart the engine to get the heated seats back.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Has anyone received a fix or a straight answer from Acura?
I've called Client relations twice without a straight answer
on how to make the seats work without having to restart the car or why the "auto" function on the seat screen turns the seats off. They seem stuck on the notion that this is a feature I am asking them to change in the future rather than acknowledging that something is actually wrong with the car.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
The heated seats don't work with remote start without restarting the car means something is wrong with the car? It's not possible that this is a safety feature?

The remote start for the 4G killed the motor when you opened the door and always had to restart. So many whined about that calling it "something wrong with the car" when in actuality, it was a factory installed safety feature.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
If you search the web there many concerns about seat heaters and diabetics, who may be insensitive to heated surfaces. Whether or not it's a factor in how it works with remote start and the lack of persistence when the car is turned off, it is in the manual:

Persons with a diminished ability to sense
temperature (e.g., persons with diabetes,
lower-limb nerve damage, or paralysis) or
with sensitive skin should not use seat
heaters.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Cant be a safety issue - Canadian spec heated seats can be switched back on without stopping and restarting engine. Just like heated wheel. The whole thing is still a hell of a palava though, completely unnecessary and just plain crap programming. remote start car - heated wheel goes on heated seats go on heated shield goes on rear defrost goes on, cabin heaters go to max (to try to get it to 21). Thats all fine and dandy. The nonsense starts when you get in the car - foot on brake, hit start button - seats go off, rear defog goes off, heated wheel goes off, heated shield stays on (wtf?). So I have manually trun the front seats back on - four button presses. They arent yet perceptably warm but getting there). turn on heated steering wheel (so thats five presses). turn off heated shield - never need it) (six presses). Turn on rear defrost (seven). Override auto climate control - which also has a bizarre mind of its own. This morning it went from floor only, to floor and shield than back to floor only....why? Should remain floor only till car has reached requested temp.

Its my only real complaint about the car - that and not yet at least having the option to reposition the stereo source buttons - I have let me XM demise and would like AHA on the main page - not to have to go to page 2. Also, and I am taking this up with Acura, on Acura streams it will only stream BBC World Service - loads of other BBC stations are listed but they don't work. BBC2 did but now doesnt. But on the AHA phone app - all works. So the problem is with Acura Streaming.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-.../#post15914835