ZDX-Water coming out of trunk door latch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 06:44 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZDX-Water coming out of trunk door latch

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm a happy but worried owner of a 2010 ZDX base model.

It rained heavily for a few hours this past week. When I opened up the trunk, water came out of the latch opening, where the striker is, which was weird as the latch opening is high up when the trunk is open.

Trunk interior was dry. It looked like water was collecting in the latch area and came out through the striker opening when I opened the trunk.

Thanks for any troubleshooting tips you all may have.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
No, that has never happened to me in rain, through car washes using pressure wands, or any other time. You should definitely investigate that and find out where the leak is that's letting water in...
The following users liked this post:
Rob H (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 09:25 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Iceman. Definitely going to look into it and stay away from car washes meantime.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:03 PM
dj_
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob,

My ‘13 has that issue as well. It’s one or more seals failing on the light assemblies that are part of the hatch door. Had my dealer run their water tests and they found it clear as day. Getting those replaced this coming week. Been getting a variety of seals replaced over last few months as they’ve come through the summer and failed. It’s my first year with it so I’m learning all the damage the Arizona sun and Illinois winters have done to it. Labor of love…

-dj
Old 11-05-2022, 05:33 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dj_
Rob,

My ‘13 has that issue as well. It’s one or more seals failing on the light assemblies that are part of the hatch door. Had my dealer run their water tests and they found it clear as day. Getting those replaced this coming week. Been getting a variety of seals replaced over last few months as they’ve come through the summer and failed. It’s my first year with it so I’m learning all the damage the Arizona sun and Illinois winters have done to it. Labor of love…

-dj
Thanks DJ. I'd really appreciate if you can share which seals you replace.

I see no signs of rust which is a relief but definitely want to deal with the problem quickly
Old 11-05-2022, 06:26 AM
dj_
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For me it’s been the interior ones just inside the door on the frame, sagging. I think someone put MDX on to replace original ZDX ones. The seal on the windshield below the wipers was warped, again, no interior leaks, just large gaps of it not flush with the glass, unsightly. The last one is one of the rubber strips under the chrome bar, driver side, rear door, slowly coming out. To replace that is to replace the entire chrome assembly so holding off on that one for now.

-dj
The following users liked this post:
Rob H (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 06:47 AM
5th Gear

Thanks again DJ. I treated all the rubber seals with 3in1 silicone lubricant which reduced wind noise from driver's door. I will eyeball the deck spoiler again which has no rubber seal but there's an "unsightly" gap between the deck spoiler and the glass. My suspicion was water getting into the hatch through the gap but none of the websites selling parts for the ZDX shows a rubber seal between the deck spoiler and the glass.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob H
..I treated all the rubber seals with 3in1 silicone lubricant which reduced wind noise from driver's door….
I HAVE noticed more wind noise there lately. Don’t understand how silicon would help, but likely all my seals are overdue for that treatment, so guess I’ll find out (should remember to lube the sunroof slides then also).
Old 11-06-2022, 04:31 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dynodan
I HAVE noticed more wind noise there lately. Don’t understand how silicon would help, but likely all my seals are overdue for that treatment, so guess I’ll find out (should remember to lube the sunroof slides then also).
Silicone lubricant on rubber trims refreshes it somehow. It worked for me in reducing wind noise