upgrading from 06 base tl to zdx?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading from 06 base tl to zdx?

Hi eveyone,
i currently have a 06 base TL and really like the looks of white ZDX with tech package. i have few questions about zdx b4 checking it out in person. I want to get some info b4 going in in order to resist the temptation of leaving the dealership with the car the same day of checking it out lol....
1. i like the TL alot when i first got it, went from 09 accord lx so it was a big upgrade in luxury. how is the interior quality of zdx compared to the 06 tl?
2. i'm looking for 2010 preown instead of buying it new it seems to have lost alot of value the first year. i live in texas and was wondering if i find one with tech package and less than 20k miles on it, what kind of OTD price should i shoot for? i have found a few pre-owns with tech package going for less than 40k and how much more can i knock it down to? i will prob trade in my 06 base TL(with 117k miles) and how much should i ask for? bottom line is how much should i shoot for after factoring the trade in? i plan for paid for it in full.
3. my wife and i will try to start a family next year. will zdx be infant/kid friendly? i plan to keep the zdx for about 5 years and then get a bigger car olike mdx after kids are bigger....my wife has 06 accord v6 sedan so i might keep that for work commute while she keep the zdx to haul kids around since she'll be staying home with the kids..
4. if i choose to go with the new 2011 model with tech package what will be a good OTD price for a new one? i dont want to get it new since i put in at least 22k miles a year and that will depreciate the new car very quickly ilol
5. what kind of gas mileage will i get with zdx? i curretnly get about 25-26 mpg with the TL due to 80-90% highway driving.
6. will zdx provide better sporty handling than the 06 base TL. i like the handling in TL but afterall it's still a front wheele drive. will shawd make a noticeable difference in handling?
7. i was too cheap to pay for NAV package when i got the TL due to paying it in cash but after few years i wish i shelled out the $$ for nav. does tech package make a big defference compared to base zdx?

emotionally i want to go out and buy the car today but i want to keep my emotion in check when purchase the next car. any inputs are greatly appreciated...
Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
i wouldn't say a ZDX is a family car nor is it any more sporty than your TL. but it does have an extra gear and all wheel drive which should help in bad weather. However the interior is better than any other acura in my opinion. i would recommend the zdx to person who owns sports cars and can't be bothered to drive anything else but needs a crossover for some reason. again this crossover is not a family car, maybe look at the MDX? or even the smaller RDX if you want handling. as for pricing, hard to tell, very few used ZDX can be found.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 AM
10th Gear

I leased a CPO 2010 ZDX tech with 5500 miles back in march. I paying 399/mo 36 months. The cap cost was 38K. I traded in a 07 Merc ML350 which I don't miss one bit. Good luck in your search, the Z in a great vehicle.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
We got ours in January, a '10 with tech, 6yr/100k acura extended warranty, and some accessories for $44.2. From looking at the posts here it seems that ZDXs in the South are more heavily discounted than on either coast. Since it appears you're in Houston you might do well. Other TX members might be able to recommend a good Houston area Acura dealer. Try www.truecar.com for current prices.
We traded an '08 TL with Navi for our ZDX and we couldn't be happier. But it's just the two of us, no kids. Getting car seats and kids in and out of the back seat might be awkward due to the sloping roof line. Take a car seat to an Acura dealer and see how it fits. An MDX may be more versatile.
The quality, fit and finish of the ZDX can't be beat, much better than our TL. The ride and handling are comparable with the edge going to the ZDX for highway cruising.
We get about the EPA standard for gas mileage: 16-17 around town, 22-23 on the highway.
Edmunds or truecar may give you a ballpark trade-in figure for your TL, but a lot depends on your car's condition, history, etc. You might get more if you can deal with the hassles of selling it privately.
Good luck with your search.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Instructor

The tech package was essential for us, not only for the nav but also for the excellent sound system. We didn't go Advanced because we didn't think the extra $6k was worth it, but ymmv.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Instructor

thanks for all the inputs. got the green light from the wife and will be looking out for a deal. wife likes it black but i want white since it brings out the glass roof...by the way is the 44.2 for 2010 tech new or pre-own? that seems like a great deal i thought it's msrp at 50k.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by daoism76
thanks for all the inputs. got the green light from the wife and will be looking out for a deal. wife likes it black but i want white since it brings out the glass roof...by the way is the 44.2 for 2010 tech new or pre-own? that seems like a great deal i thought it's msrp at 50k.
The $44.2 was for new, although the car had been sitting on a dealer's lot for almost a year. Again, check on the truecar site for current prices in your area. The '10s (if there are any left) should be cheaper than the '11s and there's no difference between the two model years. If you're keeping the car for~5 years there won't be much difference in price when you sell/trade.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
my dealer gave me two options.

2010 new zdx with tech no accessories $41250.00

or a 2010 zdx advance demo loaner with 16000 miles running boards oem chrome wheels spoiler mud guards trunk linner and tray. $41250.00

I took the advance demo loaner. It looked nicer plus it was a better deal in the long run.

I traded in my 2010 acura tl fwd tech with 18" wheels for $31000.00 basically what i owed on the loan.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Instructor

thanks everyone, this gives me a ball park on the amount dealer is willing to discount for a new zdx. is it possible to find a 2010 pre-own with tech package and low mileage (less than 20k mileage) for under 35k? when i see a new listing for a preown how much discount should i shoot for? 20%, 15%......
Old 07-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
To my knowledge if your interested in new you won't really see a drastic price difference between a '10 or a '11 due to the limited amount of production. However you should be able to strike a good price on either new or used ( speaking from personal experience because I was able to knock a few thousand off msrp in seconds. Also if your considering white it might be hard to find so good luck lol