New Acura ZDX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I just checked out my 07 RL and 08 MDX just now. The steering wheel retracts up AND IN when I turn the car off. I'd bring it in for service as that seems logical and I'm sure they didn't change that in the ZDX. Good luck.
Ahhh, but they did change it (don't know why). My ZDX works the same way and the owners manual specifically references that the steering wheel moves up. No problem in my case since I'm the only driver. The entire feature can be turned off with the owner preferences menu.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alexbgr
Ahhh, but they did change it (don't know why). My ZDX works the same way and the owners manual specifically references that the steering wheel moves up. No problem in my case since I'm the only driver. The entire feature can be turned off with the owner preferences menu.
Thanks. Mystery solved.

I'm very surprised they would do that. Makes little sense to me.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Thanks. Mystery solved.

I'm very surprised they would do that. Makes little sense to me.
.........and their moto is, 'Advance'!?!?!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
you must be missing the boxster... as nice as the ZDX is, it can't handle like a boxster...

i live in so cal...and a top down drive in nice weather in my box always fixes things...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I just saw my very first ZDX on the road yesterday and I gotta admit, I actually really liked the looks of it! I was suprised. Nice angles and curves to make up for the pos beak on the 4th gen TL. And I know it has a great interior. Just thought I'd add in my thoughts!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Look for a white/taupe scootin around O'Town .. chances are its me !!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hbornack
Updates and driving experiences on our ZDX - One thing my wife and I have noticed is that the electrically adjustable steering column works differently than the Lexus version. When you turn off the ignition the Lexus adjusts the wheel to a full forward position, while the ZDX adjusts the wheel to a full upward tilt position. This doesn't bother me a great deal but it does my wife, who is 5'2" and has her setting with the seat all of the way up. The full upward tilt position is where I (6') and most people would want the wheel for normal driving. When the car adjusts for my driving position, the seat is far enough down (all the way down, exactly) so that I can get in and out without a problem, but my wife is still penned in the car even after she turns off the ignition, due to the seat height and the fact that the wheel won't get out of her way. What she does is push "1" for my position to get out of the car. It is also impossible for her to get in the car as her transmitter sets the seats and wheel for her position when she opens the door. I have offered to program her transmitter for my settings for her to get in easier, but she would then have to manually adjust to her settings. I know folks - this sounds picayune - especially since she loves the car but Acura might in the future put a wider range of adjustment to the wheel since the ZDX has a rather unique driving position to begin with. That is the biggest gripe we could come up with so far - and we haven't regretted one bit our decision to get the ZDX. Acura has built a fine car, and it just needs a bit more ergonomics.

I know there is a setting for this.. if you go thru the extra setup options ( on your wheel.. see the (i) button. I think you can turn this off on her settings. then maybe it will return to your settings when she shuts the car off? not sure I have not played with mine that indepth yet. I did set the door unlock to all doors though instead of just the driver. Now my wife exits with me and not 5 minutes later figuring out how to unlock it LOL. Hope this helps or gives some options.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
7th Gear

Hi! I just ordered an advance with grigio and umber. How long did it take for yours to come in?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
10th Gear

Update on my experience with the ZDX

Haven't had time to be "on the boards" in the past few months (been in and out of the country). I thought that since it is close to 9 months since we got our ZDX that I would I would share my continued experience with those who might care.

As i said, I have been doing a lot of running around in the past few months but I still have gotten to know the ZDX very well. Some of the issues I have posted before, (steering column adjustment) but now that I am "used" to the vehicle, I can say that it has been one of the best cars my wife any i have owned or leased. No, the ZDX is NOT a Boxter (our last car) but more of a GT type touring coupe that has four doors.

We have learned to adjust to the steering column issue, and my wife has adjusted to the "unique" ingress and egress of the ZDX for a 5'2" person, however we have owned cars in the past that were much worse.

There is strong feeling of security, thanks to the SH AWD, and unless you want to drag, enough power for most people. Gas mileage has been about 18 mpg in mostly highway driving. The navigation system is superior to the one Lexus provides (our other car is an RX350) and can be used while driving, where Lexus doen't allow it. I know that this may seem to be unsafe, but the large central control knob and buttons as well as the superior voice command make it more safe than most. Really enjoy the XM radio (MSNBC, channel 120) and got it for the term of our lease. Love the curves on freeway on ramps and the way the SH AWD performs by shifting power from side to side. Haven't had too many people in the back seat, except for my mother in law and brother in law and some grand nieces and nephews, who are all as small if not smaller than my wife. The glass roof is another great feature (I don't miss the convertible) except where I live (Central Fla) we pretty much left the shades closed in our hot humid summer and are now just starting to ride with them open.

I also had my first experience with Acura service, at the 5000 mile oil and checkup. When we lived in PA, NO dealers were ever open on Sunday. In Florida, many dealers have Sunday hours, but my Acura dealer is the first dealer of any make I have ever seen who has Sunday SERVICE. Imagine having a nice leisurely Sunday morining breakfast and then taking your car in for service at 10 AM, and you are the ONLY person there. Doesn't get much better than that! Spent some time looking at the cars in the showroom and was a bit disappointed over two things - The ZDX tech now has lease deals under $500 per month, probably because of slow sales in Central Fla, and the dealer must think he is selling Fords or Chevys and not a premium brand, due to the crappy add ons that the dealer puts on EVERY car on the lot, to the tune of approximately $4000 per car. I got mine right off the truck and refused to buy into that crap.

Finally, a very important intangible with this car - the exclusivity factor. After 9 months with this car, my wife and I finally saw another ZDX on the road a week ago, and it was in the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia, not here in Central Fla. We are always being asked what kind of car it is, and being asked to show people the gorgeous umber interior of the car. Another observation is that not only are there few ZDXs, but few Acuras where I live. Maybe it is because a lot of models have AWD, which I think is great for handling, but most people probably think is for snow and hills, and neither exist here. I was getting worried about Acura sales in general until we were up north and saw many MDXs on the road (only one ZDX).

Would I do it again? Heck yes, I would, as long there are no gotchas down the road, and there haven't been any so far. The only issue I see is that I might get a better lease next time, that is if they are still selling the ZDX then in 2+ years. Our Lexus lease ends in 2011, and we will be definitely be looking at the MDX tech as an option, as it should give us the ZDX ride with more room.