AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ZDX (https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/)
-   -   New Acura ZDX Owner (https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/new-acura-zdx-owner-763810/)

hbornack 02-14-2010 05:35 PM

New Acura ZDX Owner

Hello, All,

I am a new Acura Owner as of yesterday. Traded our old Boxter in for a new ZDX with Tech Pkg. The dealer told us that the one he had coming in was Bronze with Umber interior, but it turned out that it was Grigio with Umber, which clinched the deal, as it really started to grow on my wife :-) The umber interior is outstanding.

Would love to compare notes with experienced Acura owners - this is a very high quality vehicle.

I would enclose some pix but I do not think I am allowed to yet. (Told you we were new)

tmnhs81 02-14-2010 08:13 PM

Congrats!! :cheers:

and welcome to the forum...:smile: :wave:

HDNBenjamin 02-14-2010 11:56 PM

Nice! Congrats and please post some pictures if you could.

hbornack 02-15-2010 09:54 AM

We will see how this works....

We put our pix in our Mobile Me Web Gallery in an album. http://gallery.me.com/hbornack

Let me know how it works.

hbornack 02-15-2010 10:43 AM

http://gallery.me.com/hbornack

HDNBenjamin 02-15-2010 02:49 PM

Just browsed through your pictures. That color combination of dark metallic/silver with umber interior is amazing. I think the only thing you'll need to enhance the exterior is adding a sports running board like a few of the owners on this board had done. Looks good though!

hbornack 02-15-2010 03:12 PM

I am glad you got to see the pix. Running Boards are something worth looking into.

Right now the Acura Dealer barely has the car, let alone accessories for it:-).

The stepdown getting out the door about the same as an MDX - maybe a bit less. Getting used to it though - a fantastic vehicle. Great driving experience - Sport and SUV in one.

Just cleaned the garage to make more room for it. It is MUCH wider than our old Boxster and a good 7 inches wider than my wife's RX 350 that it shares the garage with.

Superb 02-15-2010 03:47 PM

Are you by any chance in the winter springs area? I was driving this weekend along Tuscawilla, and saw a ZDX parked near a local restaurant at the corner of Tuscawilla and Redbug. If that was you, the vehicle looked great!

007Acura 02-15-2010 05:01 PM

congrats!! I like that color combo & the pics

hbornack 02-15-2010 06:48 PM

Yup, we are in Winter Springs and that was us at Casey's (great food)

acurabykyler 02-15-2010 07:02 PM

Cool, I like the color combo

Superb 02-15-2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by hbornack (Post 11744871)
Yup, we are in Winter Springs and that was us at Casey's (great food)

Ha! What are the odds. I live in Tuscawilla, and I told my wife that I was going to see if the owner was on here. She laughed at me....

I've never eaten @ Casey's, I will have to give them a try. Enjoy the new ride! I hope to see it around more often.:thumbsup:

ostrich 02-15-2010 08:37 PM

Beautiful car!!! I actually think that the Grigio color is much better looking than that Mayan Bronze, though the latter is a rarer color.

So, how do you like its handling and the interior space? We need a report please! :-)

hbornack 02-16-2010 11:19 AM

The car handles like a dream. I have had the chance to put it through a few hard cornering drives and I love the way the SH AWD shifts the power to the outside wheels in the turn when you apply the throttle. Very surefooted with plenty of power (especially compared to our last car). I watched the Motorweek video test where they claim a 6.5 sec 0-60 and they are on the money. The back seat has plenty of room for two six footers (I am 6') but the entry and exit takes some getting used to. Once in the back seat, the headroom is restricted, but even I can slide my a-- forward a bit and compensate. The seats fold perfectly flat (unlike our RX) and provide decent cargo room. The Acura dealer mentioned that they were instructed to show the car with the rear seats down. They said it was an "empty nester" SUV, and I guess that's us. I was fortunate enough to test an X6 prior to getting this car and while it is also a fine vehicle, to equip it the way the ZDX comes with the Tech package will run you 65 large - not worth it IMHO. The ZDX just represented a much better value without being nickel and dimed on options the way the German Makers do. An X6 STARTS at 55K and you can get the advance package for that.

rockstar143 02-16-2010 11:26 AM

What an amazing looking car. Glad to see you're happy. That interior is my favorite...Mayan bronze and umber all the way! or Grigio too ;)

SpicyMikey 02-16-2010 11:43 AM

Congrats and welcome. I haven't test driven one yet but I own an 07 RL and 08 MDX so I know the SHAWD system well and appreciate it. When my MDX lease is up I may get one as my kid are almost all out of High School now and I may not need a full SUV. Glad to hear you don't find the back seat to restrictive. Let us know if you still feel that way after a month.

Regarding your comment on value; that's for sure! I am not an Acura fainboy, but when I go shopping for a new car, more times than not I end up buying an Acura because they are just the best car for the money, period. When i bought my MDX I checked out the Lexus RX and the BMW X5. Both nice cars but didn't stack up in terms of value (features, reliability, qualty, price). The X5 was a joke when it came to value compared to the MDX. I suspect the X6 is the same compared to the ZDX.

By the way, you need a new license plate now. :)

jim165 02-16-2010 03:51 PM

Dang nice...definitely get the running boards and maybe mud guards? Looks super! :thumbsup:

dominik331 02-16-2010 09:46 PM

Nice looking vehicle, congrats

CraigMacDTA 02-17-2010 09:38 PM

Georgous color combo! Congrats on the purchase:thumbsup:

hbornack 02-19-2010 04:37 PM

You're right, need to get down to the tag office for a new one!

EndleszgenTL 02-21-2010 10:28 AM

how much it run you up for? car is great looking

bartek7pl 02-23-2010 09:52 PM

Very nice car! Congrats and welcom to forum!

CLtotheTL32 03-01-2010 08:34 PM

Pictures please!

rvalentino 03-12-2010 08:45 AM

Very cool vehicle! Sat in one yesterday at the dealership while waiting for an oil change on my TL. The only thing I noticed that I didn't like was the lack of cargo space prior to folding the seats down. On the other hand, having the option to fold the seats down completely is a huge plus. Congrats on the purchase!

rockstar143 03-12-2010 06:04 PM

i too, would love some pictures please.
pretty please...
with a friggin huge umber cherry on top!

JM2010 SH-AWD 03-14-2010 11:40 AM

Beautiful vehicle. When I picked up my 2010 TL SH-AWD a few weeks ago, my dealer had a ZDX parked just in front of where we were sitting. My wife loved it - I was afraid we were going to make two new Acura purchases that day.

I think for a certain segment, the ZDX is an amazing vehicle.

Enjoy the new car.

platinumex 03-19-2010 08:51 AM

Not bad at all. When I first saw pics I didn't quite like it but I can see it growing on me already.

Love your interior color, btw.

hbornack 03-25-2010 10:25 AM

It has now been six weeks, and the ZDX fits perfectly into our lifestyle. The only difficulty is my wife's garage parking - she has a bit of difficulty with the width (78") due to the rather "broad shoulders" of the car. The Grigio metallic has grown on us (my wife wanted black) but the umber interior is outstanding.
We call it "baseball glove leather" and we think that it is the best interior color for the car.

You should also see the looks at the car wash - they were arguing over who was getting behind the wheel!

sgmotoring 03-26-2010 03:20 AM

Congrats on your ZDX! I have to admit both your wife and you bleed a deeper Honda Blue than most of us! :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by hbornack (Post 11858947)
It has now been six weeks, and the ZDX fits perfectly into our lifestyle. The only difficulty is my wife's garage parking - she has a bit of difficulty with the width (78") due to the rather "broad shoulders" of the car. The Grigio metallic has grown on us (my wife wanted black) but the umber interior is outstanding.
We call it "baseball glove leather" and we think that it is the best interior color for the car.

You should also see the looks at the car wash - they were arguing over who was getting behind the wheel!

plastikman 03-26-2010 10:59 PM

Congrats and Welcome to the Forum ! :cheers:

princelybug 03-26-2010 11:18 PM

Congrats.

Type34 03-30-2010 01:29 AM

Welcome to Azine :thumbsup:

Love your ZDX...keep the posts coming as this is such a new vehicle people haven't had much experience with it.

My wife would love a ZDX, but we need the extra space of our MDX for our 3-month old's stroller, portable crib, etc. I spent about 45 minutes in a showroom ZDX and our equipment definitely would not fit with the back seats up... :bawling:

hbornack 04-01-2010 01:27 PM

Updates and driving experiences on our ZDX - One thing my wife and I have noticed is that the electrically adjustable steering column works differently than the Lexus version. When you turn off the ignition the Lexus adjusts the wheel to a full forward position, while the ZDX adjusts the wheel to a full upward tilt position. This doesn't bother me a great deal but it does my wife, who is 5'2" and has her setting with the seat all of the way up. The full upward tilt position is where I (6') and most people would want the wheel for normal driving. When the car adjusts for my driving position, the seat is far enough down (all the way down, exactly) so that I can get in and out without a problem, but my wife is still penned in the car even after she turns off the ignition, due to the seat height and the fact that the wheel won't get out of her way. What she does is push "1" for my position to get out of the car. It is also impossible for her to get in the car as her transmitter sets the seats and wheel for her position when she opens the door. I have offered to program her transmitter for my settings for her to get in easier, but she would then have to manually adjust to her settings. I know folks - this sounds picayune - especially since she loves the car but Acura might in the future put a wider range of adjustment to the wheel since the ZDX has a rather unique driving position to begin with. That is the biggest gripe we could come up with so far - and we haven't regretted one bit our decision to get the ZDX. Acura has built a fine car, and it just needs a bit more ergonomics.

SpicyMikey 04-01-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by hbornack (Post 11880726)
Updates and driving experiences on our ZDX - One thing my wife and I have noticed is that the electrically adjustable steering column works differently than the Lexus version. When you turn off the ignition the Lexus adjusts the wheel to a full forward position, while the ZDX adjusts the wheel to a full upward tilt position. This doesn't bother me a great deal but it does my wife, who is 5'2" and has her setting with the seat all of the way up. The full upward tilt position is where I (6') and most people would want the wheel for normal driving. When the car adjusts for my driving position, the seat is far enough down (all the way down, exactly) so that I can get in and out without a problem, but my wife is still penned in the car even after she turns off the ignition, due to the seat height and the fact that the wheel won't get out of her way. What she does is push "1" for my position to get out of the car. It is also impossible for her to get in the car as her transmitter sets the seats and wheel for her position when she opens the door. I have offered to program her transmitter for my settings for her to get in easier, but she would then have to manually adjust to her settings. I know folks - this sounds picayune - especially since she loves the car but Acura might in the future put a wider range of adjustment to the wheel since the ZDX has a rather unique driving position to begin with. That is the biggest gripe we could come up with so far - and we haven't regretted one bit our decision to get the ZDX. Acura has built a fine car, and it just needs a bit more ergonomics.

I may have misinterpreted what you just wrote, but something seems wrong. Maybe yuo need to get it checked.

My 2007 Acura RL and 2008 MDX steering wheel works like this;

1) Open door - Seat and mirrors adjust to drivers saved settings. Steering wheel stays put
2) Start car - Steering wheel drops into drivers saved position

< Drive to yuor destination>

3) Turn car off - Steering wheel retracts to full UP and IN positions, but seat and mirrors stays where they are.

tmnhs81 04-01-2010 02:44 PM

^I drove 1G RL and that is exactly how it worked. I m in love with this feature. Wish my TL had it. :sad:

SpicyMikey 04-01-2010 02:56 PM

Yes, it probably falls into the category of "nice to have" rather than critical. But it sure help us fat overweight Americans get in and out of our cars. Maybe that's why it's not on the more "youth" oriented models. They figure they are thin and flexible enough still to maneuver around the wheel. Unfortunately, I have to admit I benefit from the feature :whyme:

hbornack 04-06-2010 02:17 PM

When you open the door, only the seat moves into position until you start the car, when the wheel moves into position also. The problem is when my wife gets out of the car - when you shut the car off, the wheel does go into a full uptilt position, but doesn't fully retract all the way in (collapsed).
That is what gets my wife stuck in the car as her seat is fully raised in her position and since the wheel doesn't fully collapse in, as well as the full up tilt position not really being an up tilt (in my driving position, full up tilt is how I drive the car, and my seat position is fully lowered). All they really need to do at Acura is allow more tilt and collapse the wheel all the way from the driver in the default position. Hope that explained it better, but guess what - if that's the biggest problem I am going to have with this car I will do it again in a hearbeat. More posts in the future with my (so far) picayune gripes and suggestions:-)

hbornack 04-06-2010 02:25 PM

PS. Is there any way to post pix to the board? I wouldn't mind posting them once in a while but it seems that you can only attach a URL. It also says that I can't post attachments. Just thought it would be more convenient that having to go to our web gallery.

SpicyMikey 04-06-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by hbornack (Post 11896471)
PS. Is there any way to post pix to the board? I wouldn't mind posting them once in a while but it seems that you can only attach a URL. It also says that I can't post attachments. Just thought it would be more convenient that having to go to our web gallery.

Hmm, I have to go to my RL and see if the wheel retracts as well as rises. Now I'm not sure anymore. I'll get back to you.

By the way, you should have a tool bar at the top of the windo where post a reply (not quick reply). There's an icon that looks like a mountain with a sun in the background. That's the "post image" button.

SpicyMikey 04-06-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by hbornack (Post 11896445)
When you open the door, only the seat moves into position until you start the car, when the wheel moves into position also. The problem is when my wife gets out of the car - when you shut the car off, the wheel does go into a full uptilt position, but doesn't fully retract all the way in (collapsed).
That is what gets my wife stuck in the car as her seat is fully raised in her position and since the wheel doesn't fully collapse in, as well as the full up tilt position not really being an up tilt (in my driving position, full up tilt is how I drive the car, and my seat position is fully lowered). All they really need to do at Acura is allow more tilt and collapse the wheel all the way from the driver in the default position. Hope that explained it better, but guess what - if that's the biggest problem I am going to have with this car I will do it again in a hearbeat. More posts in the future with my (so far) picayune gripes and suggestions:-)

I just checked out my 07 RL and 08 MDX just now. The steering wheel retracts up AND IN when I turn the car off. I'd bring it in for service as that seems logical and I'm sure they didn't change that in the ZDX. Good luck.