2024 ZDX buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 08:41 PM
mvl
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 134 Posts
2024 ZDX buying questions

I'm doing preliminary research on possibly trading in my 22 RDX PMC for a 24 ZDX: the EV precision cockpit touchscreen, EV rebates, and 20 mile-per-day typical usage might make an EV work for me.

Some rambling thoughts/questions:
- ZDX will be online only sales per Acura. Anyone know how that experience has worked for prior online cars (NSX/Integra/TLXSPMC)? Does the dealer still negotiate financing, tradein, Acuracare, etc? Are you unable to cross shop dealers?
- Anyone see any ZDX sales/manufacture projections? Prologue is announced at 60000 for 2024, but didn't see any ZDX projections. Will this be a rare model or reasonably available?
- Anyone know if dealers will get testdrive models? With an all new cockpit design I'd probably want to take it for a ride before buying sight unseen online.
- Anyone know Ultium charging stats from any Lyric literature? Eg: KWH electric needed per mile of charged range? Miles of range added per hour on a 220V charger? How about a 110 charger?
- Anyone know the best way to sell a PMC? I'm in a net-sales-tax state so dealer trade would save $$, but worried a dealer will severly lowball me on the PMC.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by mvl
I'm doing preliminary research on possibly trading in my 22 RDX PMC for a 24 ZDX: the EV precision cockpit touchscreen, EV rebates, and 20 mile-per-day typical usage might make an EV work for me.

Some rambling thoughts/questions:
- ZDX will be online only sales per Acura. Anyone know how that experience has worked for prior online cars (NSX/Integra/TLXSPMC)? Does the dealer still negotiate financing, tradein, Acuracare, etc? Are you unable to cross shop dealers?
- Anyone see any ZDX sales/manufacture projections? Prologue is announced at 60000 for 2024, but didn't see any ZDX projections. Will this be a rare model or reasonably available?
- Anyone know if dealers will get testdrive models? With an all new cockpit design I'd probably want to take it for a ride before buying sight unseen online.
- Anyone know Ultium charging stats from any Lyric literature? Eg: KWH electric needed per mile of charged range? Miles of range added per hour on a 220V charger? How about a 110 charger?
- Anyone know the best way to sell a PMC? I'm in a net-sales-tax state so dealer trade would save $$, but worried a dealer will severly lowball me on the PMC.
I am a potential buyer of ZDX so here are my thoughts:

- Your best bet is to reference GM/Ford sales experience. From what I saw there, if you pre-order the price is fixed. Dealership can still sell you adds-ons to make profit, but you don't have to take them. I believe Honda/Acura want to sell these EVs in good volume, so no way they will let dealerships charge markup on pre-orders.
- Judging by Lyriq production volume now, I feel a reasonablr estimate for ZDX is 20-30k?
- I believe so, but only my guess based on projected ample supply from GM. The interior is my biggest uncertainty about the car, so a demo unit would really help the buying decision.
- I believe you can find the efficiency number online. At least Lyriq has been EPA certified both RWD and AWD, both are low 300 miles and battery pack is around 100KWh. Same for charging speed.
- Best price usually from private sale, especially for top trim, but price from CarMax and online retailers used to be fair-to-good. Not sure how they are these days.

Last edited by sonyfever; 02-07-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:59 PM
mvl
Racer

Did some math:

- Lyriq published 52mph charging speed with a specialized 19.2kW charger. So with 110V x 15amp = 1650W assuming similar efficiency, that would result in a 4.5mph charging speed. Our RDX averages 35 miles per day, so would require 8 hours charge daily if we didn't install an Ultium fast-charger, probably can squeak by with that.
- Our standard local electric rate is $0.40/kWh, which equates to $0.15 per mile. At the RDX's rating of 22mpg city, that would be equivalent to $3.28/gallon gas.

I was hoping that our use case (never needing long distance driving since our MDX Hybrid does that), would be enough to make a ZDX a slam dunk decision. However, at this point the electric seems like a lot of hassle and early-adopter risk to save less than 25% costs vs premium fuel, even in its ideal "second city car" use case. If the cockpit is much improved with the touchscreen, I might consider it. But if these numbers hold up with the ZDX I might pass.

Last edited by mvl; 02-12-2023 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:10 AM
mvl
Racer

Looks like Apple gave us a sneak peek into the precision cockpit digital dash. WWDC just announced that Acura is a launch brand for the next carplay generation, which will give carplay full control of the entire instrument cluster and center stack. Seems like that will line up with what was seen on Acura's precision EV concept where everything is a screen. So looks like a fully customizable entire electronic experience.

I really like how Acura kept physical knobs and switches for things that you did often while driving, the 3rd gen MDX Android Auto UI was fantastic. So I'm hoping they still keep physical stuff for as long as humans need to be involved in driving (eg: lev3 automation or less). Wouldn't want fully digital at lev3, so if no physical switches it would be another reason to hold off before getting a ZDX.

Lots of physical buttons with fully-user-configurable actions (and digital labels) - now that would be awesome if it happens.

Last edited by mvl; 02-14-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvl
Did some math:

- Lyriq published 52mph charging speed with a specialized 19.2kW charger. So with 110V x 15amp = 1650W assuming similar efficiency, that would result in a 4.5mph charging speed. Our RDX averages 35 miles per day, so would require 8 hours charge daily if we didn't install an Ultium fast-charger, probably can squeak by with that.
- Our standard local electric rate is $0.40/kWh, which equates to $0.15 per mile. At the RDX's rating of 22mpg city, that would be equivalent to $3.28/gallon gas.

I was hoping that our use case (never needing long distance driving since our MDX Hybrid does that), would be enough to make a ZDX a slam dunk decision. However, at this point the electric seems like a lot of hassle and early-adopter risk to save less than 25% costs vs premium fuel, even in its ideal "second city car" use case. If the cockpit is much improved with the touchscreen, I might consider it. But if these numbers hold up with the ZDX I might pass.
That is expensive electricity. Yes I have been through countless EV calculations to justify the price premium of EV, and even though my electricity rate is 50% of yours, I still see 5-8 years to break even, excluding the maintenance cost on ICE. Better tech like you said would be a main differentiator like you suggested. For me, the other reasons are almost-zero maintenance and smooth powertrain.

I priced out a Lyriq the other day and got ~75k, likely what ZDX Type-S will be.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Been reading various Lyriq discussions, and I am glad that ZDX is still a year away. The infotainment appears to have many issues. What I read on Lyriq also dent my confidence in GM. The upper management have been preaching nice things to investors, but in reality many of them are like leaky buckets.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,583 Likes on 953 Posts
My dealer posted this quick summary but it's very informative:

https://www.acuralaval.com/the-acura...ation-era.html
Old 03-07-2023, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
My dealer posted this quick summary but it's very informative:

https://www.acuralaval.com/the-acura...ation-era.html
It is good that they put the effort, but I am afraid they were describing Prevision EV rather than ZDX. Yoke steering wheel? No way!
Old 03-08-2023, 12:48 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by sonyfever
It is good that they put the effort, but I am afraid they were describing Prevision EV rather than ZDX. Yoke steering wheel? No way!
It's a bit of mixed info but overall, it gives you a perspective of the new ZDX and cost.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:04 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,177 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat of having a 19 MDX hybrid as our main travel vehicle and 18 RLX hybrid as the running around town vehicle or for short day trips under 250 miles. Love the 18 RLX 377hp; but, don't like the limited utility, pothole prone low profile tires, and the seats aren't' as supportive as the MDX. I would really love to have a RDX Adv/Aspec Sport Hybrid if Acura decided to make one. So it looks like the ZDX is my second choice with Lexus 500h F Sport or Hyundai/Genesis following close behind.

I keep thinking about Honda/Acura in its early SUV/minivan days when they used a re-badged Isuzu vehicles for the 1st Honda Odyssey, Passport, and Acura SLX. I don't know if the Acura ZDX is a Honda/Acura product using GM batteries OR rebadged Lyriq with an Acura mods? I watch YouTuber vids of Hummer EVs having all kinds of issues with software/firmware, features not working, and network charging issues. I might become a "forum lurker" on Lyriq sites to get a feel for the pros/cons they are having before I make the switch in a few years.
The following users liked this post:
LC-TL2002 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 12:11 PM
AZ Community Team

2024 ZDX is hitting the dealers this year or next?

One of the dealers in Montreal posted: 2024 ZDX is arriving this summer. I am confused!
Old 04-16-2023, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

False news. No way in 2023 as GM battery production volume is not enough to support their own vehicles. There is a reason why Silverado EV is not launched yet, and Hummer/Lyriq are still low in production volume though things are moving in the right direction.

I think Acura has delayed the marketing effort on ZDX accordingly, so we will not hear anything on ZDX until summer. Maybe that is where the misunderstanding is, or perhaps your dealership thought the small SUV was ZDX?
Old 04-16-2023, 05:30 PM
mvl
Racer

Their cadence (existence leaked summer 21 + prototype summer 22, no camo mules spotted winter 22), would look like a typical summer 23 launch. But press releases for the Prologue and ZDX both say "in 2024".

The Prologue is labeled as a 2024 MY with 60000 units planned, so likely will come out 1Q24. Sounds like by then most industry supply issues should subside as car supply is likely to exceed demand in the coming months, so I could see a ZDX coming around the same time as the prices needed to turn a profit on EV probably will push buyers into an Acura badge.

My guess would be April announcement was Integra TypeS, July announcement of TLX MMR, then the question is whether Oct will be MDX MMR or ZDX.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:12 AM
AZ Community Team

You guys are right! The dealer edited their post. Now it says "The All New 2024 Acura ZDX will arrive in the beginning of 2024....." Before it said: "The All New 2024 Acura ZDX will arrive in summer 2023..."

Clarified! It will be a 2024 model and will come in Q1 of 2024 (most likely)!