Zaino questions for 2006 RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino questions for 2006 RL

Hi all,
I just bought a 2006 low mileage (22k) Acura RL, carbon gray / ebony. It was well taken care of and is freshly detailed.
I would like to start using Zaino products - but the website starts you off as if you bought a car that needs to be stripped down. I'm interested in their products and process, but would prefer to take advantage of the nice wax that I already have.

Although I enjoy their website, I'm a little overwhelmed by all the different choices. Can any Zaino experts out there give some advice on which specific Zaino products I should use without the full break down/build up treatment now (maybe in 3-4 months, sure)? Should I get any other non-Zaino products, say for the windows or my stock wheels (aluminum alloy) - also in great shape, and want to keep them that way.

I also bought a Turtle wax "genuine chamois" and a Turtle wax "miracle towel" for drying. Any comments on pros and cons of these old school / new school products?

Thanks guys
Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Believe it or not, the detailing job done to your RL is just fillers topped with some 3 day way. The fillers fill in the scratches and swirl marks so you don't see them, however they wear off in a few days. As well they don't clay the car to pull all contaminant off the car. Zaino needs PURE PAINT surface to adhere to, if there is any type of dirt it will not adhere to that area.

Products/steps you should buy:
1. Wash -> Z-7 Zaino Wash is really good, get it with the zaino kit
2. Clay -> mother's kit at autozone is great! The one that comes with the zaino kit isn't that great, it won't do as much cleaning.
3. Wash again
4. Dry -> use one of Excel Detail's Waffle Weave towels or use a leaf-blower to dry off the car very well
5. Polishing/correction -> this will depend on how much marring and correction will be needed, most likely you will need Optimum Compound on an Orange Pad with the RL's paint.
6. Wax time -> Zaino Z-2, Z-5 and Z-6 are what you will need. First apply a coat of Z-5, then let dry for around 24 hrs. Then remove and apply Z-6, spray and wipe. Then apply Z-2 and let dry for 12 hrs. Then Z-6. Then apply z-5 and let dry for 6 hrs. Then apply z-6, then z-2 for 3 hrs. and so on and so forth.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Wow - thanks for that great explanation!

I'll order the Total Protection Car kit - it seems to have all the Zaino products you mentioned.

For Optimum/Orange, you're talking about using a power buffer, right? Zaino seems to steer you to using Z-PC fusion and Z-AIO. Why is Optimum/orange a better route?

Zaino also includes ZFX in their kit. Where does that fit into the process?

For all the drying times you mentioned, that means the car stays in a clean state for upwards of 24 hours followed by 12 hours, etc.?

Do you apply any/all of these products to the windows? What about the wheels? Thanks again,
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Believe it or not, the detailing job done to your RL is just fillers topped with some 3 day way. The fillers fill in the scratches and swirl marks so you don't see them, however they wear off in a few days. As well they don't clay the car to pull all contaminant off the car. Zaino needs PURE PAINT surface to adhere to, if there is any type of dirt it will not adhere to that area.

Products/steps you should buy:
1. Wash -> Z-7 Zaino Wash is really good, get it with the zaino kit
2. Clay -> mother's kit at autozone is great! The one that comes with the zaino kit isn't that great, it won't do as much cleaning.
3. Wash again
4. Dry -> use one of Excel Detail's Waffle Weave towels or use a leaf-blower to dry off the car very well
5. Polishing/correction -> this will depend on how much marring and correction will be needed, most likely you will need Optimum Compound on an Orange Pad with the RL's paint.
6. Wax time -> Zaino Z-2, Z-5 and Z-6 are what you will need. First apply a coat of Z-5, then let dry for around 24 hrs. Then remove and apply Z-6, spray and wipe. Then apply Z-2 and let dry for 12 hrs. Then Z-6. Then apply z-5 and let dry for 6 hrs. Then apply z-6, then z-2 for 3 hrs. and so on and so forth.
how do you know what kind of detail job his car had....maybe it was a serious detail job, maybe it wasnt, but there is no way YOU can tell from his post alone.....dont you think we need more information....
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
zaino offers way to many steps in their detail process....you can simplify your detail in way fewer steps with just as good if not better products....

wash
clay
polish
seal

these are the 4 basic steps, not much more is needed, if you use the correct products...
Old 08-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CDR A
You add this to the Z-2, Z-5 so there's no wait time between applications. Most people who use Zaino will apply multiple coats of Z-2 and/or Z-5 on their cars. Without the ZFX, you would have to wait xx hours for the polish to cure before putting on the next coat. With ZFX, there's no wait time.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow - thanks for that great explanation!

I'll order the Total Protection Car kit - it seems to have all the Zaino products you mentioned.

For Optimum/Orange, you're talking about using a power buffer, right? Zaino seems to steer you to using Z-PC fusion and Z-AIO. Why is Optimum/orange a better route?

Z-AIO is a chemcial cleaner to remove oxidation, not many abrasives. A-PC is for very light stuff, it won't remove heavier defects
optimum/Orange is just an educated guess since most cars have light to moderate swirling.

You add about 2-3 drops into the small bottles they provide, then fill with z-2/5 (separate bottles) This helps zaino to dry faster, but with ZFX you can't apply more than 3 coats in a day. I prefer to use the 24/12/6/3/3/3/ method so I'm sure that its drying properly.

For all the drying times you mentioned, that means the car stays in a clean state for upwards of 24 hours followed by 12 hours, etc.?
The car should be in a garage when drying, closed, so that no dirt and dust will stick to the surface.

Do you apply any/all of these products to the windows? What about the wheels? Thanks again,
You can apply these products to the wheels, and they will work great. As far as windows, I wouldn't use it, just regular glass cleaner, and some of that expel stuff to help with beading.

Originally Posted by vinnier6
how do you know what kind of detail job his car had....maybe it was a serious detail job, maybe it wasnt, but there is no way YOU can tell from his post alone.....dont you think we need more information....
It's an educated guess, most people buy their cars from dealers, and most dealers won't clay a car nor polish out all the stuff when they sell cars, just cover everything up with fillers.

Can you post some pictures of your car in it's current condition?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Here's my album
https://acurazine.com/forums/members/cdr-a-249376-albums-alameda-rl-3667/

csmeance - what are your experiences with ZFX?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Here's my album
https://acurazine.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3667

csmeance - what are your experiences with ZFX?
ZFX is great at helping drying time, esp in FL. One time I forgot to mix it in and it took nearly two whole days for my coat to dry because it was so humid!