WTH is this????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
WTH is this????

I used Mother's Tire and Wheel foam and this is what I ended up with. I can't seem to get it off. Any ideas? This white haze is on at least two of the wheels now.

Those of you who will beat me up for using that product, I get it. And, the wheels were not hot.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
If i am not mistaken Mothers Tire and wheel foam is a cleaner,it may have cause a reaction on the clear coat of the rims.
Regardless of the cause,i would say that you have an issue with the clear coat.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
This may sound strange, but how about using a clay bar on the wheels with the haze......and then wash and apply wheel wax to them?

Mothers has some good car care products on the market, too bad it did this tho.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I could be wrong but looks like residue from the product. I'd try Turtle Wax bug and tar remover or nail polish remover.

Last edited by TeamAcura; 06-16-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Fixed, Hogan caught me slippin' lol
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
I could be wrong but looks like residue from the product. I'd try Turtle Wax bug and tar remover or nail polish.
I assume you mean nail polish remover.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogan9166
I assume you mean nail polish remover.
Bwahahaha...yea I was about to add that in there after I was proof reading.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KarKraze
If i am not mistaken Mothers Tire and wheel foam is a cleaner,it may have cause a reaction on the clear coat of the rims.
Regardless of the cause,i would say that you have an issue with the clear coat.
The product said it was good for painted rims...does this not mean for clear coat? I'm going to post it on AutoGeek as well and see what people say there.

I can't afford new rims and REALLY don't want to shell money out to have them repaired.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Well if you had to purchase a new one ...about 276.16 so not god awful. I believe I picked out the correct rim. FYI
Then I guess you could to try to use it as a spare in trunk (if it fits)

(Use the vin and to get the right model (chassis >wheel disk ))
http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Searc...acura-tl-parts
Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Anicra
Well if you had to purchase a new one ...about 276.16 so not god awful. I believe I picked out the correct rim. FYI
Then I guess you could to try to use it as a spare in trunk (if it fits)

(Use the vin and to get the right model (chassis >wheel disk ))
http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Searc...acura-tl-parts
Times 4. All four are affected.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
you could try the claybar see if that works. if that doesn't work, you can try an all purpose cleaner for cars.

it either looks like residue from the product or some sort of clearcoat reaction. odd. i can't imagine mother's products doing something like that.

you should be careful with some of the tire dressing products out there since they can actually dry out your tires (contribute to dry rot and early weather checking). certain ingredients contained in the products can leach out the rubbers natural oils/moisturizers that the manufacturer has added to the compound to improve the life of your tires (from a UV/cracking/dry rot) point of view.

you may want to switch to aerospace 303 (which has a multitude of uses-dash, tires, engine covers) and contains UV protectants. i sound like an infomercial. sorry about that.

see what the autogeek guys have to say and let us know. i'd be interested to hear what they have to say.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I use mother's tire and wheel foam along with many other mother's products. Never had any problems with it. It has done an excellent job and I plan to keep using it.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Did you wax your wheels?
Kinda looks like wax residue. If it was wax, I would try to reapplying wax on it again and try to remove.

If not wax and it is some kind of reaction with the clearcoat, I would try to polish that out. Try Meg's Ultimate Polish first and if that don't work, move up to Ultimately Compound. Will need some elbow grease.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by C8N
Did you wax your wheels?
Kinda looks like wax residue. If it was wax, I would try to reapplying wax on it again and try to remove.

If not wax and it is some kind of reaction with the clearcoat, I would try to polish that out. Try Meg's Ultimate Polish first and if that don't work, move up to Ultimately Compound. Will need some elbow grease.
No. That is not wax. It is a direct result of using the Mother's. I will try to the polish and will use my DA if I have to, but won't be able to get to it for a couple weeks.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Stay away from nail polish remover. And matter of fact wheel cleaners .. they aren't needed unless you really neglect your wheels. Nothing more than the end of the car wash soap and a dedicated mitt needed.

Dressings won't rot the tires .. some cleaners may aid in drying them a bit but the dressing will replace it.

Not to be a turd but I'd like to see the basis for this .. "you should be careful with some of the tire dressing products out there since they can actually dry out your tires (contribute to dry rot and early weather checking). certain ingredients contained in the products can leach out the rubbers natural oils/moisturizers that the manufacturer has added to the compound to improve the life of your tires (from a UV/cracking/dry rot) point of view."

Most of weathering and checking is from a commination of lack of the rolling and sun exposure. The rolling releases the carbon black in the tires which serves among other things as a UV barrier. That's the off black/brown stuff we see run off our tires when we clean them. Be it by itself or mixed in with the dressings we use. Spray on foam dressings are a good example .. they not only capture the carbon black being released but collect brake dust and other dust.

Sorry OP .. went off topic.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Suzuka Master

The product said it was good for painted rims...does this not mean for clear coat? I'm going to post it on AutoGeek as well and see what people say there.

I can't afford new rims and REALLY don't want to shell money out to have them repaired.
Mothers® Wheel & Tire Cleaner is a foaming, non-acidic spray, formulated to quickly and easily clean both wheels and tires, including blackwalls and whitewalls. Safe for painted, clearcoated, color coated, steel, modular, chrome, or factory coated wheels and hubcaps

Says in essence not good for uncoated aluminum.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Stay away from nail polish remover. And matter of fact wheel cleaners .. they aren't needed unless you really neglect your wheels. Nothing more than the end of the car wash soap and a dedicated mitt needed.

Dressings won't rot the tires .. some cleaners may aid in drying them a bit but the dressing will replace it.

Not to be a turd but I'd like to see the basis for this .. "you should be careful with some of the tire dressing products out there since they can actually dry out your tires (contribute to dry rot and early weather checking). certain ingredients contained in the products can leach out the rubbers natural oils/moisturizers that the manufacturer has added to the compound to improve the life of your tires (from a UV/cracking/dry rot) point of view."

Most of weathering and checking is from a commination of lack of the rolling and sun exposure. The rolling releases the carbon black in the tires which serves among other things as a UV barrier. That's the off black/brown stuff we see run off our tires when we clean them. Be it by itself or mixed in with the dressings we use. Spray on foam dressings are a good example .. they not only capture the carbon black being released but collect brake dust and other dust.

just a couple of sources:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=30&

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2052924

clarification: silicone based tire dressings are the culprits. however if one goes through tires like shoes, then not a big deal.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
just a couple of sources:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=30&

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2052924

clarification: silicone based tire dressings are the culprits. however if one goes through tires like shoes, then not a big deal.

First one holds a little merit but you will notice it says "excessive use of tire cleaners/dressings that inadvertently remove some of the tire's anti-oxidants and anti-ozone protection during every cleaning procedure" Most dressing by themselves don't remove anything.

The second reference thread is a bunch of unsubstantiated hearsay . Sort of like the Armorall on the dash of years gone by
The following users liked this post:
nj2pa2nc (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Pro

Mothers® Wheel & Tire Cleaner is a foaming, non-acidic spray, formulated to quickly and easily clean both wheels and tires, including blackwalls and whitewalls. Safe for painted, clearcoated, color coated, steel, modular, chrome, or factory coated wheels and hubcaps

Says in essence not good for uncoated aluminum.
Where is there any uncoated aluminum? The wheels are painted and clear coated.

No worries.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-17-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Where is there any uncoated aluminum? The wheels are painted and clear coated.

I didn't say there was ...
Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Pro

I didn't say there was ...
Oh...pardon me for questioning that because that random comment about unprotected aluminum had so much to do with the original thread.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh...pardon me for questioning that because that random comment about unprotected aluminum had so much to do with the original thread.
That was more to point out that it could damage uncoated ones .. and to clarify your question about painted and cleared "The product said it was good for painted rims...does this not mean for clear coat? "

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Pro

So, I posted this problem to the forum at autogeek.net. Linked below.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tire-foam.html

After a few helpful replies from others, I received a reply from a representative from Mother's who asked me to contact him directly and send more photos.

I did that less than 20 minutes ago. He sent the photos on to one of his chemists who has since responded via email stating that if the wheels had been refinished (which mine were by the dealer before I took delivery), then the refinish is not as hearty as the OEM and can realize issues such as this with strong cleaners like their Tire and Wheel foam.

He is sending me several of their products to use to resolve the issue as well as wheel cleaner that is "more appropriate for my car."

I thought this was a great example of customer service. I hope their products work to resolve the issue. I will let everyone know when I try them out.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Hope it all works out .. in reality you shouldn't need wheel cleaners at all .
Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
So, I posted this problem to the forum at autogeek.net. Linked below.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tire-foam.html

After a few helpful replies from others, I received a reply from a representative from Mother's who asked me to contact him directly and send more photos.

I did that less than 20 minutes ago. He sent the photos on to one of his chemists who has since responded via email stating that if the wheels had been refinished (which mine were by the dealer before I took delivery), then the refinish is not as hearty as the OEM and can realize issues such as this with strong cleaners like their Tire and Wheel foam.

He is sending me several of their products to use to resolve the issue as well as wheel cleaner that is "more appropriate for my car."

I thought this was a great example of customer service. I hope their products work to resolve the issue. I will let everyone know when I try them out.
Wow, now THAT'S customer service!
TLtrigirl (06-18-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Agreed and glad to hear that things worked out for the OP.

I think AG has pretty good influence. I have seen reps from Meg's, Optimum and Mother's checking on AG's forums quite often.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
And a bit of damage control that really didn't cost them anything .. but still good .

Still if the wheels were professionally refinished it shouldn't be an issue at all.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Pro

Wow. You should see all the stuff they sent me. I will list them all and take a pic tomorrow. It truly is amazing what they did to rectify the situation. Now, I just hope the stuff comes off.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Pro

Props to Mother's for sending me all this stuff to make me feel better about their products.

-2 big packages of micro fibers
-clay bar kit
-back to black tire renew
-rubber vinyl protectant
-Carnauba wash & wax
-wheel cleaner
-powerball mini speed polisher
-Powercone
-leather tech foaming wash
-plastic polish
-scratch remover
-leathertech moisture infusion gel cream
-4 gallon bucket with lid

WOW...that's customer service!

mr2core (06-30-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Its only customer service if one of the things they sent solves the issue .. otherwise its damage control. Leather conditioner isn't going to fix your wheel.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Pro

Its only customer service if one of the things they sent solves the issue .. otherwise its damage control. Leather conditioner isn't going to fix your wheel.
Yeah...thanks for pointing that out...lol. I think I realize that.

Regardless, in the age of no customer service, this is over and above what most companies would do. They could have said, our product just didn't cause that and move along.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, I will move along in the process of working with them to resolve. In the meantime, I have a bunch of new product.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
considering the fact that it likely isnt even their fault, as the wheel was refinished, and likely not well, i think this is above and beyond anything lmfao. send anything you don't want to me =P
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Great customer service for sending you a bunch of free stuff. Personally not a big fan of Mother's products. I stick with Meguiars for the most part, and Lexol for leather conditioning. But great service nonetheless.