WTF. Scratch on my 2 month old TL!! (Pic)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not sure the yellow one is appropriate for that scratch. Its designed for using on larger panels which have a mass of swirls or scratches. Yours is rather isolated? If you want to just repair that spot, use an old sock and a finger with some compound!!....then polish a larger area encompassing that scratch to brighten up the entire area.
As for that machine, you could probably apply some liquids with it, depending on the accessories you have. Do you have a foam applicator which fits it?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Im not sure the yellow one is appropriate for that scratch. Its designed for using on larger panels which have a mass of swirls or scratches. Yours is rather isolated? If you want to just repair that spot, use an old sock and a finger with some compound!!....then polish a larger area encompassing that scratch to brighten up the entire area.
As for that machine, you could probably apply some liquids with it, depending on the accessories you have. Do you have a foam applicator which fits it?
I don't think I have any foam applicator.
And by saying 'that' spot, you mean the one I marked with blue circle?
I was thinking to polish all the scratches and apply compound if polishing does not fix that blue circled one.
Is there any specific reason that you are recommending to compound first then polishing?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vinnier6
yea, thats the machine i was talking about....

you will have no problem trying to polish out that spot by hand....

i used to have one of thoes machines a few years back, i just thought i waisted my money and i was better at waxing my car then it was....

Thank you for clarifying it. I guess I wasted some good $30+ on it.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by thelinux
Thank you for clarifying it. I guess I wasted some good $30+ on it.
its only 30 bucks, so its not like your out alot of money...

yes, polish out the whole area....
Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thelinux
I don't think I have any foam applicator.
And by saying 'that' spot, you mean the one I marked with blue circle?
I was thinking to polish all the scratches and apply compound if polishing does not fix that blue circled one.
Is there any specific reason that you are recommending to compound first then polishing?
Yes, by the looks of the circled scratch, I dont think polish will remove it, hence the compound suggestion.
Your approach is safe and sound with polishing first. It is the lesser evil of the two. Usually when you compound, you have to polish afterwards. So I think I was just trying to save you a step based on my experience.
But...........its a good learning step for you to determine what a polish can do for you. I stand corrected, polish first, guage results, then take the next necessary step which would be compounding the affected area.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Yes, by the looks of the circled scratch, I dont think polish will remove it, hence the compound suggestion.
Your approach is safe and sound with polishing first. It is the lesser evil of the two. Usually when you compound, you have to polish afterwards. So I think I was just trying to save you a step based on my experience.
But...........its a good learning step for you to determine what a polish can do for you. I stand corrected, polish first, guage results, then take the next necessary step which would be compounding the affected area.
Thanks for good advice. I will report back the result once I get this done.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Instructor

OK, I got the compound and polish yesterday.
But how do I use this?
Just apply them on the scratch and wait until it dries then buff?
Or just apply and buff without waiting?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Apply to cloth or applicator and polish in the same direction as the scratch. Simply rub the polish into the scratch until the polishing product hazes (loses lubricity) or disappears. Wipe clean with a microfiber, inspect for further polishing. repeat if necessary. Can you polish too far? YES! By hand? YES! But it would take you quite some time. The key with scratch and swirl removal (No pun intended) is MINIMIZE its appearance. Get it to a point where you can live with it. There's no sense in reducing clear coat surrounding the scratch, which dependent on color, can actually lighten the appearance of the paint.
What your trying to accomplish is not necessarily "remove" the scratch, but your trying to undermine its light grabbing edges.
If you can reduce the vertical edge along the length of the scratch, the light has nowhere to refract from. It will really minimize the scratches effect.

You can certainly remove the entire scratch, if its not too deep.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Apply to cloth or applicator and polish in the same direction as the scratch. Simply rub the polish into the scratch until the polishing product hazes (loses lubricity) or disappears. Wipe clean with a microfiber, inspect for further polishing. repeat if necessary. Can you polish too far? YES! By hand? YES! But it would take you quite some time. The key with scratch and swirl removal (No pun intended) is MINIMIZE its appearance. Get it to a point where you can live with it. There's no sense in reducing clear coat surrounding the scratch, which dependent on color, can actually lighten the appearance of the paint.
What your trying to accomplish is not necessarily "remove" the scratch, but your trying to undermine its light grabbing edges.
If you can reduce the vertical edge along the length of the scratch, the light has nowhere to refract from. It will really minimize the scratches effect.

You can certainly remove the entire scratch, if its not too deep.
Thanks! I will try this tomorrow if the rain stops.