WTF. Scratch on my 2 month old TL!! (Pic)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF. Scratch on my 2 month old TL!! (Pic)

My 2 month old 2008 TL was hit by some kind of rubber mat on the freeway near the driver side front wheel and this is what I got.

Picture under the direct sunlght.

Picture under shade. Looks like that the rubber materail transferred on to the paint.

Picture under shade with flash on. The one in blue circle is some deep scratch. I tried the finger nail test. It feel like it stops if I sweep real slow. It's not that deep.

OK, how do I remove these?

I am thinking Wash -> claybar -> Quixx -> Wash & Wax ???

If I need claybar this, what kind of claybar should I get? And How do I use claybar? I've never used it.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:01 PM
He who laughs, last didnt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think claybar would take that off.. maybe it will.. i would just touchup paint that
Old 01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bAek-sU
i dont think claybar would take that off.. maybe it will.. i would just touchup paint that
I am intending to use claybar to remove the rubber transferred. Not for the scratch in blue circle.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Racer

Use good polish and TL will be like brand new again. I don't think You needed touchup paint for this.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:06 PM
He who laughs, last didnt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thelinux
I am intending to use claybar to remove the rubber transferred. Not for the scratch in blue circle.
o i was refering to the blue circle.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
please, stop with the claybars...that is not the intended use for claybar....polish is what you need, and you can probably get most of that out....
Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
What kind of waxes do you have on hand? List them and I'll see if I can suggest something.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 PM
The Detailer

It looks like that can be polished out. I've polished out much worse-looking bumpers.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Denzil
It looks like that can be polished out. I've polished out much worse-looking bumpers.

That's mostly superficial; it should buff right out.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vinnier6
please, stop with the claybars...that is not the intended use for claybar....polish is what you need, and you can probably get most of that out....
Will polish take off that black mark? I think some rubber material from the mat is transferred on to the bumper and that black mark is what it is. I thought claybar is for these kind of things No?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Damn, car is worthless now

jk. good luck on getting it to come out.... btw I had a brand spanking new gsxr-1000 back in 2003 and we were at mcdonalds and a douche bag knocked it over w/ his s10. I feel your pain.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Will polish take off that black mark? I think some rubber material from the mat is transferred on to the bumper and that black mark is what it is. I thought claybar is for these kind of things No?
Clay will remove light to moderate paint and rubber transfers, but polish is actually quicker and more thorough.
Polish or a compound should clean up that scratch pretty good though. Make sure you protect anything that clay or polish comes in contact with.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Clay will remove light to moderate paint and rubber transfers, but polish is actually quicker and more thorough.
Polish or a compound should clean up that scratch pretty good though. Make sure you protect anything that clay or polish comes in contact with.
How do I polish? Sorry but I know very little about these things.
Are scratch remover (like quixx) and polishing different things?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Kang Ho

-go to exceldetail.com and utilize the 15% off
-by the Ultimate Detail Machine (UDM)
-buy orange pad
-buy some microfiber
-buy Optimum Compound
-buy Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP)
-checkout and dont look at the total
-come back here and there will be further instruction
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by SupaRookie
-go to exceldetail.com and utilize the 15% off
-by the Ultimate Detail Machine (UDM)
-buy orange pad
-buy some microfiber
-buy Optimum Compound
-buy Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP)
-checkout and dont look at the total
-come back here and there will be further instruction

your scratch may be minor enough that hand polishing should do the trick, try something like quixx or scratchx before you shell out big bucks for the UDM
Old 01-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Safety Car

clay bar is intended to remove airborn particulates that get embedded into the clearcoat....tiny little particals that would look like dust or overspray that has landed on the surface of your car and left to embed themselves into your paint....weekly washing can keep this from happening to your car, but not 100%....

just get some polish and work it into the area and see how much you can get out....then take some more pics and report back....we can talk more about the clay and polishing tecquines later...for now just get the polish and work it in until you see results....your going to be using the polish like its sand paper, work check your results and work again...dont be stingy with the polish either....
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Instructor

So quixx for polishing? Everyone agrees?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

So quixx for polishing? Everyone agrees?
You didn't respond to my question above. You might have something on hand that will do the job.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Instructor

I am still confused.
quixx is not a polish?

I have a craftsman waxing machine bought from sears.
Do I use this machine with some polishing compound like that 'optimum compound' to polish it?

Or quixx??

What's the difference between quixx and polish?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Quixx is a good product, make sure you go with the light grade first, or you will be back here with another set of problems. Follow the directions on the box as stated. If you have a polish at home sitting on the shelf, try that first. Better yet, go BUY SOME and do the whole car if you've never done it before....lol
Ah he**, Im getting carried away. Polishes are car care products (liquids) which contain a cream like substance comprised of lubricationg oils and/or water with small diminishing abrasives. As you apply this product to a foam pad and then onto the surface in a circular or lineal motion, the abrasives "roll" themselves out into smaller diameters until the dissapear. All while this is happening, the abrasives smooth out vertical edges on scratches and swirls, making them less noticeable.
Quixx is a polish, but more along the lines of a "compound" which is just a fancier name for a "more" abrasive polish.
Simply apply a small dab (fingernail size) to a foam app or microfiber towel, gently spread product along scratch, then apply additional pressure while "polishing" out the scratch. Maintain direction in the same manner as the scratch. Wallah.......wipe clean, inspect, repeat if necessary. Protect with a wax or sealant.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
You didn't respond to my question above. You might have something on hand that will do the job.
Sorry about that.
I know it's lame but I have some turtle wax leftover. :-( And a waxing machine. That's all I have now.
I wanted to get some good wax but I don't know which one is good.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Quixx is a good product, make sure you go with the light grade first, or you will be back here with another set of problems. Follow the directions on the box as stated. If you have a polish at home sitting on the shelf, try that first. Better yet, go BUY SOME and do the whole car if you've never done it before....lol
Ah he**, Im getting carried away. Polishes are car care products (liquids) which contain a cream like substance comprised of lubricationg oils and/or water with small diminishing abrasives. As you apply this product to a foam pad and then onto the surface in a circular or lineal motion, the abrasives "roll" themselves out into smaller diameters until the dissapear. All while this is happening, the abrasives smooth out vertical edges on scratches and swirls, making them less noticeable.
Quixx is a polish, but more along the lines of a "compound" which is just a fancier name for a "more" abrasive polish.
Simply apply a small dab (fingernail size) to a foam app or microfiber towel, gently spread product along scratch, then apply additional pressure while "polishing" out the scratch. Maintain direction in the same manner as the scratch. Wallah.......wipe clean, inspect, repeat if necessary. Protect with a wax or sealant.
Thanks.

So is Optimum Compound (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...7056&pd=293097) a same kind of stuff with quixx?
I've never done any polishing in my life before. I've done only waxing. So, I am kind of scared to try any scratch remover or compound because I think I could ruin my car.

Sounds like polishes are the safe bet at this point for me.
So what kind of polishes would you recommend? Who makes great polish?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Sorry about that.
I know it's lame but I have some turtle wax leftover. :-( And a waxing machine. That's all I have now.
I wanted to get some good wax but I don't know which one is good.

Turtle Wax tho not a great wax has some cleaners in it .. Take a bit and a terry towel and a little time and see if it will remove the transfer marks ... might suprise you .
Old 01-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Turtle Wax tho not a great wax has some cleaners in it .. Take a bit and a terry towel and a little time and see if it will remove the transfer marks ... might suprise you .
OK, I will try that first. Looks like that's the safest one to try first for me.

Better yet, go BUY SOME and do the whole car if you've never done it before....lol
BTW, do I need polish even if this is a new car? Mine is 2008 TL with only 2000 miles on it. It might have sitting on the dealer lot for about a year. Still will I get some good result with polish?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Even though its new, its still needs pampering. Polishes help remove all the crud that hides the true color and quality of the paint. It also minimizes (when done properly) swirls and scratches. The Optimum Polish is a very mild polish. Its able to reduce very light scratches and swirls, and general paint cleaning. The compound is the next progressive level in abrasiveness. The 4oz would be closest to the light grade included in the Quixx product. Theres two polishes included with Quixx, one is light grade, the other a compound.
BTW, all vehicle paint needs occasional polishing. It should be included in your maintenance regimen, just as engine maintenance is. It maintains the vehicles value as well. Waxes protect, polishes enhance that protection.

Last edited by exceldetail; 01-19-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Even though its new, its still needs pampering. Polishes help remove all the crud that hides the true color and quality of the paint. It also minimizes (when done properly) swirls and scratches. The Optimum Polish is a very mild polish. Its able to reduce very light scratches and swirls, and general paint cleaning. The compound is the next progressive level in abrasiveness. The 4oz would be closest to the light grade included in the Quixx product. Theres two polishes included with Quixx, one is light grade, the other a compound.
BTW, all vehicle paint needs occasional polishing. It should be included in your maintenance regimen, just as engine maintenance is. It maintains the vehicles value as well. Waxes protect, polishes enhance that protection.
OK, I see optimum compound and optimum compound II and I also see optimum hyper compound.
Among these 3, which one? Looks like optimum hyper compound is comparable to heavier grade of Quixx.
So I guess I have to use optimum compound or optimum compound II.
Which one should I get? What are the differences between these 2?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

For the scratch, I recommend the 4oz compound.
For the car, I recommend the 32oz Polish.
Hyper is the highest level of abrasiveness Optimum designs.
Optimum polish for very light swirls and paint cleaning.
Compound for scratches and heavier swirls.
Hyper Compound for neglected, heavy swirled and scratched paint.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Instructor

For the scratch, I recommend the 4oz compound.
For the car, I recommend the 32oz Polish.
Hyper is the highest level of abrasiveness Optimum designs.
Optimum polish for very light swirls and paint cleaning.
Compound for scratches and heavier swirls.
Hyper Compound for neglected, heavy swirled and scratched paint.

Thanks. I did not see "Optimum Polish" thinking optimum compound is the one you were talking about to apply to the whole car.

Now I have optimum compound 3oz and optimum polish 32 oz in the cart.
I also want to get sealent. Which one would you recommend?
Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection w/PC Booster, 2 Microfibers (1-2-09) or Danase Acrylic Paint Sealant 16oz ?

I also want to get some descent wax. I felt somewhat embarrassed for telling you guys that I have turtle wax. Which wax would you recommend?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
The Detailer

Some great sealants are Duragloss #105 (DG 105), Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP) and Optimum Opti-Seal (OOS).

As far as decent waxes go, you can grab some Collinite 845 Insulator Wax or 476s Super Doublecoat Wax from your local Harbor Freight for cheap. They're one of the most durable for their price.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

throw that waxmaster thing you bought at sears in the trash....its not worth using it on your car....the udm suggested here if you are serious about taking care of your new baby...otherwise use products designed for hand use....that waxmaster thing does not have the speed or power you will need to do anything with....
Old 01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Some great sealants are Duragloss #105 (DG 105), Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP) and Optimum Opti-Seal (OOS).

As far as decent waxes go, you can grab some Collinite 845 Insulator Wax or 476s Super Doublecoat Wax from your local Harbor Freight for cheap. They're one of the most durable for their price.
Agreed, but I if I had to pick one, it would be the UPP. Also, although the Collinites are good and cheap, theyre no where near as easy to use/apply/remove as either of the three Denzil mentioned.

throw that waxmaster thing you bought at sears in the trash....its not worth using it on your car....the udm suggested here if you are serious about taking care of your new baby...otherwise use products designed for hand use....that waxmaster thing does not have the speed or power you will need to do anything with....
hehehe, also agree with.....give it to a neighbor or something.....
Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Kang Ho

i wouldn't necessary throw it away. donate it
Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Ok. ordered some wax, compound and polish along with hand polisher.

Is my waxmaster even not worth for quick waxing???? I thought it would make waxing a lot more easier. I did not buy it for polishing.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Ok. ordered some wax, compound and polish along with hand polisher.

Is my waxmaster even not worth for quick waxing???? I thought it would make waxing a lot more easier. I did not buy it for polishing.
what is a hand polisher....i wouldnt use that waxmaster thing on my car, but you can use it on yours if you want....its your car.....
Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Instructor

what is a hand polisher....i wouldnt use that waxmaster thing on my car, but you can use it on yours if you want....its your car.....
This one.
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...6116&pd=301286
Will waxmaster do bad thing on my car? Why not?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM
The Detailer

That yellow foam pad your ordered should work well with your compound and polish but it's going to take A LOT of elbow grease and time to break down the oils in the Optimum products.

As for applying your LSP, you'll need another application media such as a foam applicator, etc.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

This one.
http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...6116&pd=301286
Will waxmaster do bad thing on my car? Why not?
its just a waist of your time....you can do a better job laying down wax or sealant by hand then you can with that thing....now if you get a udm or pc i would use that to lay down wax or sealant....since with laying down wax or sealants your not working anything in your just going for coverage....if you use that big ole waxmaster thing your going to miss alot of areas and its too big to use around door handles, emblems, sunroofs and other tigher areas...
Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Instructor

That yellow foam pad your ordered should work well with your compound and polish but it's going to take A LOT of elbow grease and time to break down the oils in the Optimum products.

As for applying your LSP, you'll need another application media such as a foam applicator, etc.

I will not polish the entire car until I get a UDM in the future. I just want to polish that scratched area. Shouldn't be too difficult right?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Instructor

its just a waist of your time....you can do a better job laying down wax or sealant by hand then you can with that thing....now if you get a udm or pc i would use that to lay down wax or sealant....since with laying down wax or sealants your not working anything in your just going for coverage....if you use that big ole waxmaster thing your going to miss alot of areas and its too big to use around door handles, emblems, sunroofs and other tigher areas...

Wait, I am not sure if we are talking about the correct stuff.
This is what I have.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Polishers

Is this the 'waxmaster' you are talking about?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

yea, thats the machine i was talking about....

you will have no problem trying to polish out that spot by hand....

i used to have one of thoes machines a few years back, i just thought i waisted my money and i was better at waxing my car then it was....

Quick Reply: WTF. Scratch on my 2 month old TL!! (Pic)