The works/Road grime what to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 03:03 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The works/Road grime what to use?

Okay I washed my car today. Here is what I did. Feel free to comment on it(or recomend different items).
Cleaned all leather (dirtiest were the wheel and gear shift)
Conditioned all leather
Aromor alled all vinle and pastic
Windexed all interior windows
Washed the car with Nu-Finish
Shaved the "A C U R A" off the back goo goned it and washed it.
Armor alled the tire.
I'm out of leather cleaner and conditioner (I'll let you know what I used when I get more)
I didn't wax it for various reasons including the dealer telling me that every 6 months they add a sealant to the paint for the first 2 years (I've never heard of this before anyone else told this? Is it part of the dealer paint package or some other stuff they sold me?)
Anyways she looks great (after not being washed for 1,000 miles.) But there were a few spots that were hard to get off basically "Road Grime" Goo Gone worked on it but it didn't work too well is there anything that might work better then it?

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S "Claire" non-navi No spoiler. Bone stock, for now.
~Member of the Scratched Rim Club.~
Old 03-11-2001, 03:40 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nu finish has a car wash?!?!?

Anyhow, my recommendation would be to use something different than ARMOR ALL on the dash. It has been argued that the silicone oils are harmful for the dash vinyl, and also rubber tires. I would use a different product on the dash, like the leather conditioner you are using for the seats, or lexol vinlex. On the tires, I guess it is ok...matter of preference. I think armor all makes a slimey mess that slings all over the wheels and car.....but whatever floats your boat and works best for you.
I don't believe the dealer about that paint sealant. Maybe they used wax on your car, but that is about it. If you don't like waxing your car, then get it detailed once every 3-4 months, but if you do, wash with dawn, and clay to get all contaminants off and the finish will be super smooth ready for polish/wax to be applied by yourself. Those paint sealants that dealers sell are the oldest scams in the book. Are they doing this for you for free?!?!? In addition I have yet to see a dealer that has waxed a car that has not contributed to buffer marks or swirling.....be careful and use your judgement...........
Old 03-12-2001, 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My detailer, who has been doing detailing for about 30 years, said that on our cars, the dash should just be "dusted" with a car mitt or other dust pick up cloth (heck, get a tack rag if you must). Swifts work great and Griot's sells a great dusting mitt.

Vinylex is the way to go for the rest of the vinyl. I've got about 5 different rubber/plastic conditioners that I got to test out.

If someone likes a "satin" look on the tires, I highly recommend the Zaino rubber product. It produces a nice finish without looking like black plastic.

The rubber gaskets in the car like the Wurth rubber care (and other stuff).

I don't trust that poly sealer stuff from the dealer. If you want to go with something that is "real" and don't want to Zaino, check out the TS Clear Coat product. They use it on F14 jet fighters and it looks great. It has that "wet-paint" look to it.

(I prefer the Zaino for my car, but my wife's car has the TS ClearCoat. This was a what would last 6 months and look great issue.)

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon