Waxmaster W6000. Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Waxmaster W6000. Need a little help

This is what I have. The question is... will it work and what products and pads do I use with it? Yes I realize there is PC that works 100000% better. But will this one work for 1 time a year use if even that? And if not, what about the $25 random orbital I saw @ Walmart the other day?

Old 09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the mounting pad is fixed and switching pads is not an option. You'll have to use their bonnets for product application. If you're using it for applying and removing cleaners and wax, it should work great. For polishing (removing swirls and surface defects), it's an entirely different story. My , a PC is well worth the investment.

As far as products go, a lot of folks have used the DC 3 step system successfully and very satisfied with the results. Klasse SG is a great sealant with duarability and longevity. You can use it as the 3rd step and then add another coat after 24 hr.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I believe the mounting pad is fixed and switching pads is not an option. You'll have to use their bonnets for product application. If you're using it for applying and removing cleaners and wax, it should work great. For polishing (removing swirls and surface defects), it's an entirely different story. My , a PC is well worth the investment.

Awwe comm'on hawhyen51. I even tried to trick you into letting me use it. Are there any other cheaper alternatives? Maybe something that will do a decent job on the minor swirls, but less than $100? Yes I know the $30K car logic, but they had el cheapo random orbitals at Walmart. I would think that they do a similar job if I used the right pad, but the machine itself wouldn't last as long.

PS. Maybe the swirl marks came from the cheap MF clothes I picked up at Wal-Mart. They felt really really soft and they were 80:20... but they were made in China.. hmmmm
Old 09-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
walmart microfibers = bad.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Studville, I completely understand your dilemma. I don't know of a tool under a c-note that can replicate what a PC does (other than a rotary). Truth be told, the Waxmaster buffers/polishers and other similar ones do not have the option of swapping pads. Maybe some of the other guys have a solution.

As far as MF towels, use a WW for drying and these for product removal. Most of the MF towels from online sites are quality ones and worth the money. The ones purchased in bulk (Sam's, Cosco, etc) and other stores are great general purpose towels and used for just that. Again, my

Dude, good luck in your decision.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well atleast your aware of the 30k car logic. spending $200 to clean your car the right way is not alot of money. I mean I bought the PC with an extended warranty to give me the piece of mind that the product will last! Its almost stupid to buy something you already suspect isn't going to last long. Just buy the PC and just the pads you need to get the job done. You shouldn't spend more than $175 for the machine and the essentials
Old 09-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
This little cordless isn't going to replace the PC but iy has a Velcro pad and I have usedit for spot touchups.. I did origionally use it on my black Passat that was in good shape to start and with a lot of patience it actullay did a job ... ET was about 4x tho of the PC.

It also comes under other brand names like Wen etc.

Cordless polisher
Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I don't know of a tool under a c-note that can replicate what a PC does (other than a rotary). Truth be told, the Waxmaster buffers/polishers and other similar ones do not have the option of swapping pads. Maybe some of the other guys have a solution.
It's the ability to change to varying degrees of pads (including spot buffers) and the action of the machine itself that makes it worth getting. Random orbital polishers do not even have that much power to even out a finish (try pressing down on them while running and they will STOP). They are good for just probably doing a final buff but that's about it (DA will outdo it even on this). The available bonnets for these OTC buffers are even scary to use on the finish especially on dark ones. (I know 'coz I learned the hard way).
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Instructor

You'll be fine for the use you are looking for. I have the same thing.

I have no doubts in my little military mind that the PC or Meguiars machine is 'better'. Makes no difference to me, this one does what I want it to. I'm 'old school' in that I put the wax on by hand, and take it off with terry towels, and only use the buffer to, well, buff! It's a PITA to apply wax, IMO.

After getting the wax off with towels, I buff with the terry cloth bonnets. Finally, I use a foam polishing bonnet and Meguiars Final Inspection and wet buff the finish. Then I wash and dry. Car looks great. No I won't win any contests with the high-end orbital guys, but I really don't care. I don't eat off my engine, either .

A couple of notes. I use the Final Inspection with an overspray clay bar before waxing. I think this goes a long way to a good finish, and helps a lot. Also, the Waxmaster works well with the foam bonnets and Meguiars Scratch-X if you have scratches. I got a long, but not too deep one out this way the other night.

The folks with the premium buffers and the 8-step prep/polish/wax programs will no doubt be in the 1% of cars that look better than mine. But mine looks better than the 97% below me.

Note I am not arguing that the WaxMaster is the equal of the PC or high-end machines. I concede theirs is 'better'. I just don't care. The WaxMaster is fine for my purposes.

John

P.S. The buffer pads are available everywhere. You can get WaxMaster online, or you can go to Sears Hardware, or get the Turtle Wax brand at the auto parts store. That's another reason I like the WaxMaster. It's just simpler.

Last edited by JohnCollins; 09-25-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Safety Car

Just to clarify a point or two. Most of the folks here who use a PC use it for one purpose - removing surface defects (i.e. swirls, minor scratches, water spots). Believe it or not, application of a wax/sealant or any last step product by hand is the preferred method. Although there are occasions where I'm pressed for time, I will use the PC to remove wax. Overall, just a time saver.

My The PC isn't for everyone - just mostly the anally obsessive detailer/enthusiast. And when someone posts a question about the PC the natural response would be "best damn tool on the planet for any car care enthusiast". If one is satisfied with the final results with what he has, hey, it's all good. And John, you stated it best! "The WaxMaster is fine for my purposes."
Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Instructor

I have a question that may warrant a new thread, but you guys are 'anal' enough to help me out, I'm sure . Just kidding, by the way, I am as anal as they come on other topics, just not this. Knowing my nature, however, I could see splurging for the PC at some point.

I recently got an Acura from Seattle and shipped it to Philly (long story). It was on the top of the car truck, back end forward and covered in bug guts. I carefully debugged the thing working with the trunk open so I could see details up close. Unfortunately, I missed a little bug guts in the small spaces above the tail lights. I waxed with Meguiars Gold liquid clearcoat wax. I spotted it in bright sun yesterday.

Is there anything I need to do special to attack the bug guts in that area? Will waxing over it make it harder to remove? I won't get to it until the weekend, unfortunately.

Thanks.

John

P.S. By the way, Studville, that deep crystal system will work wonders for you. I used it on an older car with great results. I haven't used Klasse, but it gets great reviews. I think the foam pads designed for polishing would be the way to go with the WaxMaster. You'll like the results.

Last edited by JohnCollins; 09-26-2006 at 04:30 AM. Reason: additional thought