waxing or synthetic polymers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waxing or synthetic polymers?

which one should i do after i wash my new TL? what the different between waxing and polishing?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Racer

Polishing is usually a type of abrasive used to remove imperfections (swirls, scratches, etc.). You would then apply a wax/synthetic polymer on top to provide protection. Unfortunately, some waxes/sythetic polymers are labelled as a "polish" even though they don't have any abrasives to remove imperfections. Zaino is one that comes to mind.

Since your TL is brand new, there's really no need to polish since, theoretically, your paint should be in excellent shape. I would recommend some light claying first then put a good wax or synthetic polymer for protection.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

If you're gonna clay, you might as well go all the way. You may not need polish, but a good paint cleaner/pre wax cleaner will make a difference. Finish it with a selant like (EX-P, SG) or a polymer like UPP. For more info about polishing/waxing for the perfect shine, click here.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Racer

is there a wax that contain polymers protection like from UV and other stuff i've be reading about?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Racer

all these product is getting me confuse. My car is new and i was to protech it with a wax or polymer sealant. which one? and should i clay the car even when it new cuz someone told me that it take some of the clear coat off? need some suggestion on sealant. only heard of UPP some far? how is that one?

thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...we have a noob! First thing I would do is check out the car care and detailing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) at the top of this forum. The second thing I would do is check out how to detail your car . This is filled with many articles for even the newest person to detailing (you). To answer your question in short, you can EITHER wax, or seal your paint. A wax is usually carnauba-based (organic) while a sealant is synthetic. It all depends on what your needs are. If you do not detail your car often, I would simply seal it once every six months. If you become a fanatic, then you can used a carnauba-based wax. But remember, a carnauba will only last about 30-60 days, depending on many factors, including the weather. Please read the FAQ's and the how-to articles to get started. Good luck getting started and welcome to AcuraZine!!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
1. Even new cars that have been setting on a car dealerships lot for a few weeks can accumulate surface contamination; don't assume a vehicle that looks good is contamination free
Clay is not a replacement for decontamination, polish or a compound; it is a mildly abrasive surface preparation, with an average particle size of 1- micron of Kaolin abrasives that polish and exfoliate contaminants by shearing and / or encapsulation, to abrade embedded pollutants and debris from the paint film surface leaving behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability. Clay will remove approx half a layer of polymer, unless you but the professional over-spray clay and use it very aggressively the chances of your removing clear coat are slim to none at all

2. A wax will provide the surface with a deep gloss, but has no durability and a low melting point 180oF. A polymer sealant has good durability and also a higher melting point (350oF+)

3. If you go to a detailing vendors site like http://www.detailersparadise.com/ http://www.autogeek.net/ http://www.Autopia.net, most have recommendations on products and instructions for there use
JonM
Old 09-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Sorry, I don't know why my link didn't work. I directed bored7one4 to the Autopia How-To page
Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bored7one4
all these product is getting me confuse. My car is new and i was to protech it with a wax or polymer sealant. which one? and should i clay the car even when it new cuz someone told me that it take some of the clear coat off? need some suggestion on sealant. only heard of UPP some far? how is that one?

thanks
I agree it's confusing at first! It taken a lot of research and personal experience before I've become fairly knowledgeable about detailing. I still have a lot to learn though!

As far as wax vs. sealant you'll get arguments both ways (think G35 vs. TL argument and you'll get the idea). In most cases, a polymer sealant will last much longer than a wax but a polymer sealant tends to be more expensive. For instance Zaino (polymer sealant) usually lasts about 3 to 4 months on my car - parked outside. S100/P21S (carnauba wax) lasts a month at best. Many swear by the "deeper" look of a wax compared to a polymer sealant but I would bet that 9 out of 10 people couldn't tell the difference. If you go with a sealant, Zaino and Klasse AIO seem to be the ones often recommened. For a carnauba wax, I'm a big fan of S100/P21S.

I'm not sure about clay removing the clear coat. I just bought clay made by Sonus which is supposed to be very gentle on the paint. In fact, it claims it will not remove significant amounts of sealant. It's very soft and works well for the light contaminants in the paint. If you're paint is heavily contaminated (run your hand over the paint - if it feels like sandpaper then it's pretty contaminated), I would think this clay would be overmatched. Since your paint is new, I would recommend the Sonus clay.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
My point of view, for what its worth.....
Im in agreement with most statements....lol.
Even though your car is new, I would highly advise a paint cleaner at a minimum. Even though you may not have evident swirls, theres no telling what the dealer did, even if you ask, do you trust them? You need to clean the surface and get it to a virgin state for proper polymer adherance.
1. Light grade clay, followed by a paint cleaner or light grade polish.
2. Wax or sealant, I prefer sealants, a.k.a. polymer protectants. Reason being, they last longer and in my opinion are much easier to apply and remove, provided you have a quality one in hand. (Four Star, *Blackfire ((can be difficult)), Porboys EX, *NXT ((not the most durable))......
I didnt mention Klasse SG (Sealant Glaze) because it can be a brute to remove. Great protection, but a bi***......Some say waxes provide better depth and warmth..as previously stated, most wont be able to tell the difference under everyday conditions.....
As for polymer sealants being more costly, also consider how often their needed. A 16oz bottle will get you about, used 2oz per season will get you two yrs worth of protection. About $2.00 per application, pretty cheap over a yr actually......

Last edited by exceldetail; 09-20-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by exceldetail
My point of view, for what its worth.....
Im in agreement with most statements....lol.
Even though your car is new, I would highly advise a paint cleaner at a minimum. Even though you may not have evident swirls, theres no telling what the dealer did, even if you ask, do you trust them? You need to clean the surface and get it to a virgin state for proper polymer adherance.
1. Light grade clay, followed by a paint cleaner or light grade polish.
2. Wax or sealant, I prefer sealants, a.k.a. polymer protectants. Reason being, they last longer and in my opinion are much easier to apply and remove, provided you have a quality one in hand. (Four Star, *Blackfire ((can be difficult)), Porboys EX, *NXT ((not the most durable))......
I didnt mention Klasse SG (Sealant Glaze) because it can be a brute to remove. Great protection, but a bi***......Some say waxes provide better depth and warmth..as previously stated, most wont be able to tell the difference under everyday conditions.....
As for polymer sealants being more costly, also consider how often their needed. A 16oz bottle will get you about, used 2oz per season will get you two yrs worth of protection. About $2.00 per application, pretty cheap over a yr actually......
Wow thanks for all the great info everyone !! i love Acurazine !!!

so i need to buy a polymer protectants and sealant glaze after that? can i wax after i use polymer or sealant glaze?

should i use clay or paint prep what work better and easy to use?

thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

Wow thanks for all the great info everyone !! i love Acurazine !!!

so i need to buy a polymer protectants and sealant glaze after that? can i wax after i use polymer or sealant glaze?

should i use clay or paint prep what work better and easy to use?

thanks
This would be the step by step process I would use based on the advice from all the previous posts. I sure the guys will add to it if I missed something.
1. Wash
2. Clay - fine grade for removing surface contamination
3. Pre-wax cleaner (UPC, AIO)/fine grade polish (Poorboys Pro Polish, SSR1)
4. Seal (EX-P, UPP)/Wax (P21S, Nattys)

Most of the items mentioned are not OTC products and are available at a number of online sites such as Exceldetail, Premium Auto Care, Superior Auto Care and Autopia.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Instructor

I second what Hawhyen51 wrote. Those are the steps to detail a car. Bored7one4...try not to get confused by product names and what they do. There are both polymer and acylic sealants. Sealant Glaze refers to the Klasse line. If you are going to use Klasse, start with Klasse All In One, which will clean the paint, and will provide a limitied but acceptable amount of protection. All In One preps the paint for Klasse Sealant Glaze. You may layer Sealant Glaze over and over for more and more protection. You can also but a carnauba wax on top of the sealant glaze as another layer, which will make it even shinier. Hope this helps. Also, for more questions, please refer to the How-to page I linked in here earlier.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

The products I mentioned are just examples of what can be used during the process. I think you should do some research on products you are interested in using and see if it meets your needs. Visit the Wash & Wax forum and read what the folks have to say about the products they use and how they like it. Everyone here has their favorites and are very satisfied with the results of that particular product. I'm gonna go out on a limb here .... maximumdetails, he favors Sonus and exceldetail uses Four Star & Poorboys (please correct me if I'm wrong and I do apologize). The one thing everyone agrees on - preparation of the surface is a key factor and will determine the final outcome.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Racer

wow thanks alot guys !!! everyone here is soo helpful and patient with a noob like me and i am truely greatful. I think im gonna get the sonus kit from autopia cuz it has klass AIO and plus i want to pick up the PC7424. I have an 95 integra and an 00RX that need a good cleaning. these kits cost soo much !!!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
This would be the step by step process I would use based on the advice from all the previous posts. I sure the guys will add to it if I missed something.
1. Wash

Most of the items mentioned are not OTC products and are available at a number of online sites such as Exceldetail, Premium Auto Care, Superior Auto Care and Autopia.
pre-wax cleaner AIO is that made by klass?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
1. Wash

Would Sonus SFX-3 final finish work as a pre wax cleaner? So the Klass All In One (AIO) is a pre wax cleaner?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Yes, SFX-3 can function as a pre-wax cleaner, but has no protection built into it. Klasse All In One has a small amount of acrylic protection built it. It not only cleans, but it protects. If you are going to get the polisher, why don' t you just get the Porter Cable Kit . It comes with the polisher and the pads...everything you need (minus the polish) to get yourself started. The DAS pads were engineered and designed by detailers, so they are far superior to some of the other stuff you will find out there and to top it off, they are warranted from defects for 10 uses! One of my pads must have been a messup, because the backing started to come off. Autopia replaced it for free, not questions asked, and I have never had that problem again. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Forgot to mention, as Hawhyen51 said, we all have our favorite products. They are simply the ones that work best for us. I actually love poorboys, and 1z, but i find that I am the most familiar with the Sonus line. Those products seem to work the easiest, the fastest, and smell the best. They are more targeted spefically for the detailer, not the body shop. I do LOVE poorboys ex-p, and is my sealant of choice (right now). But again, There are many quality products...it's up to you to find out which is the best for you!
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor

pre-wax cleaner AIO is that made by klass?
Klasse AIO is actually a cleaner/protectant. I know it says polish, but it does not contain abrasives, therefore, its just a "cleaner"/polish, in my book.....As for once/twice a yr application for protection, on a daily driver? Not on my clients cars!
In my opinion, AIO is best for the DIY'er who's looking for minimal work, maximum protection.....
Old 09-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Racer

thanks everyone i think i will get the pc7424 kit from DAS or SFX kit, but what the differents? how does these steps sound.

1. wash and clay car while washing
2. dry car
3. use sonus SFX-3 final finish
4. use Klass AIO
5. use klass glaze
6. wax is ps210

question about the #3 What do i use to put it on with and how do i take it off ? do i use one of those pad that comes with the PC7424 kit to bluff it off?

question about # 6 after i put on the wax which pad do i use to take off the wax or do i take it off by hand? What about #4,5 how do i put and take off the klass stuff.

thanks
sorry for all these question but i kinda want to find out more details in these steps
Old 09-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Instructor

An article called The Perfect Shine is just what you need. This process is pretty much the one you lay out in your thread, and it tells you how to apply and remove Klasse AIO and SG. You will definitely need an assortment of polishing towels and buffing towels . Don't forget you need a waffle weave drying towel to dry your car. Instead of buying all of these separately though, you can get pretty much get every product mentioned in the perfect shine article HERE , and then you can use these products detail after detail after detail. I hope the article answers your questions. A lot of detailing is experimenting to see which products and methods work best for you. good luck!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:32 AM
Instructor

I dont know why my links didn't work. check out Autopia for many articles on how to detail. check out the article called The Pefect Shine. It has most of the products you mentioned and it will walk you through the entire process from washing to protecting your paint.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Bored....Maximum links to the Autopia site very frequently. True, there good items, and Autopia is a great resource (Ive been a member there for several yrs now)but your better off getting a wide array of opinions on what people are currently using, either at Autopia or here. Then base you decision on the information obtained. I know of places that sell the same item Autopia has, for up to 30% less.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Racer

Bored....Maximum links to the Autopia site very frequently. True, there good items, and Autopia is a great resource (Ive been a member there for several yrs now)but your better off getting a wide array of opinions on what people are currently using, either at Autopia or here. Then base you decision on the information obtained. I know of places that sell the same item Autopia has, for up to 30% less.
can you show me where to order the stuff for less cuz these do cost alot.

thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

4. use Klass AIO
5. use klass glaze
6. wax is ps210

question about # 6 after i put on the wax which pad do i use to take off the wax or do i take it off by hand? What about #4,5 how do i put and take off the klass stuff.

Your Step 4-6 is what I have been doing for about a year now. The most awesome look I've ever seen..........on Silver!

When you use P21S/ S100 use a foam pad applicator and use small amounts. Remove it using a microfiber towel or cloth (don't let it sit too long or it turns really hard and is a b**ch to remove). What I do is I start applying at the front fender and by the time I finish applying at the rear fender, it's time for me to buff it off. If you have a PC then use a finishing pad (blue on the Sonus SFX kit) to remove and give you that final shine. You can even follow it up with Meg's #34 with a MF.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Pro

so when exactly do you use carnauba wax? what i did was wash, polish, nxt, and then zymol on top of that...does that work? i noticed zymol was a cleaner wax and i was wondering if applying it just undoes everything i did before that
Old 09-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by robeaneee
so when exactly do you use carnauba wax? what i did was wash, polish, nxt, and then zymol on top of that...does that work? i noticed zymol was a cleaner wax and i was wondering if applying it just undoes everything i did before that
Everything was good up until you removed the NXT with the Zymol! Use one or the other, they both have about the same longevity. Although the NXT may be easier to use.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:42 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
This is a list of suppliers I've used, it has not been updated recently but its a place to start (for any forum contributers/sponsers I left out, my apologies)

Product Suppliers (Internet) Web Sites:
autogeek.net, autopia-carcare.com, autopoint.com,
carlack.de, caswellplating.com, collinite.com
detailersparadise.com, dftowels.com, drivewerks.com
eastwood.com, groitsgarage.com, lakecountymfg.com
leatherique.org, meguiars.com, openroadmotoring.om
pakshak.com, premiumautocare.com, properautocare.com
sportscarcare.com, superiorcarcare.com, topoftheline.com
zaniostore.com

You could also do a google search I'm told 'detailing products' will produce something like 30K websites
JonM
Old 09-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Pro

Everything was good up until you removed the NXT with the Zymol! Use one or the other, they both have about the same longevity. Although the NXT may be easier to use.
i noticed that you said nxt doesn't have much longetivity. is there anything i can layer on top of it to prolong it or increase shine? i plan on gettin a bottle of Four Star off your website as i remember you saying it's one of the best polymer synthetics. i guess my question is, do you recommend any steps AFTER the application of polymers?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

I really like the way polymers stand on their own. I would find it nearly, if not impossible to tell the difference between a Poly, and a hi quality Nuba. CLPower will beg to differ, and he obviously knows sealants and nubas, (But has younger eyes then I)
NXt is a good OTC product, but as noted theres several more available that really stand out. Two that I like to use (And I'll throw a 3rd in also) are Poorboys EX-P, and Four Star Ultimate Paint Protectant. Both extremely easy to use, great durability (edge to UPP). Looks best with two layers. Blackfire is also an excellent Polymer Protectant but a lot more finicky to use. Maintain with a Polymer or other quality quick detail spray (Quikshine or Ultimate Spray Gloss comes to mind).
Todays quality Polymer sealant products, in my opinion, offer everything a Nuba can, but better ease of use, and much greater durability.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robeaneee
i noticed that you said nxt doesn't have much longetivity. is there anything i can layer on top of it to prolong it or increase shine? i plan on gettin a bottle of Four Star off your website as i remember you saying it's one of the best polymer synthetics. i guess my question is, do you recommend any steps AFTER the application of polymers?
Simplify it.

Apply your sealant (I use Klasse AIO/ SG). The sealant by itself should be good enough.

If you prefer to add more depth and gloss, use good quality pure Carnauba (DO NOT use cleaner waxes) ex. Meg's #16, #26, Meg's DC #3, Mother's Pure Carnauba or P21S/ S100. The Carnauba step WILL wear off and still leave the sealant finish intact. Think of the Carnauba step as an optional and sacrificial step that needs to be renewed every few weeks. This step it totally up to you.

For me, I like the way water beads when it rains on top of the S100.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Rob, Nubas arent "necessary". As Vicman said, you can add a sacrifical layer if so inclined, but they will deteriorate rather soon. I would like to see you add 2 layers of Polymer before any Nuba though. I dont think the Nuba "adds" anything to the Polymer, so find a"Pure" carnauba via, Mothers or Meg's. Even Turtle Wax has one......