Waxing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing Questions

Okay guys, I just got my car detailed from shop. They shined it up for me and a week later it has rained and now time to wash. My question is, do I have to wax again with some kind of spray wax or could I just use a quick shine like Mothers Showtime? I wanna get the shine back. what's the best way to get shine back.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

For this early, I would just use a QD.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:04 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
it's probably to dirty for a QD. I'd just wash it, the wax should still be on there.

What wax did they put on it?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Wash the car with car soap (not dawn or anything). The wax should stay on, then use QD after you dry the car off.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the help. As for the wax, I'm not sure what they used. I'll prob try to use the Mr. clean and then hit it up with some QD if it doesn't shine
Old 04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

Even if it still shines, the QD will add a bit of shine and slickness along with helping the longevity of the wax.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you don't know what wax they used call and ask. If it's low grade cleaner wax then use dawn and just strip it off, get a clay bar and make sure your paint is really clean. Then used Meguiars NXT generation Tech Wax, then after you wash car and you see any swirls coming back just use the Meguiars NXT generation booster spray wax. You can use it when car is wet or dry and it is the easiest wax I have ever used. It brings the just waxed shine back that looks sick!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CLpower
it's probably to dirty for a QD. I'd just wash it, the wax should still be on there.

What wax did they put on it?
my bad...i figured that was a given.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sbuswell
If you don't know what wax they used call and ask. If it's low grade cleaner wax then use dawn and just strip it off, get a clay bar and make sure your paint is really clean. Then used Meguiars NXT generation Tech Wax, then after you wash car and you see any swirls coming back just use the Meguiars NXT generation booster spray wax. You can use it when car is wet or dry and it is the easiest wax I have ever used. It brings the just waxed shine back that looks sick!

Old 04-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell

Bad question(s) - If I use dawn to strip off the existing wax (I am assuming just use it with water and sponge-nothing special), do I then need to us a polish before the Meguiars NXT? Also, if I strip off the wax, do I have to clay it, or can I just put NXT back on immediately and then touch it up? How about longevity? Also, what about meguiars cleaner? Is that the same as using dawn? Sorry for all the question, but just trying to decide the best approach!!!

Last edited by Bob04tl; 04-27-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:36 AM
I'm Baaack!

Not bad questions ...

I'm not a big fan of Dawn, but if you want to strip the existing wax that's one way to do it. Just remember that Dawn will also begin to dry out things like rubber over time so I wouldn't do it more than once a year. If you do decide to use it, then just substitute Dawn for your regular car soap.

Polishing helps to set up the paint, if you have the time I would recommend it before you glaze or wax.

If you're going to clay it should be done before polishing for a couple of reasons, 1) it removes contaminants from the paint before polishing then drags them around on your surface. 2) If you do any damage with the clay (I put some microscratches in my paint when I clayed) the polishing will smooth them out as well. Many people do not/have never clayed. That's okay too, but your finish won't be as pristine.

After you've stripped the old wax, clayed and or polished, realize that your paint is now virtually unprotected and a good coat of glaze/polish is a must. I used NXT last season with pretty good results. It is extremely easy to use and was pretty durable.

Once you have a good coat of glaze, use a quick Detailer after you wash to maintain the finish.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Not bad questions ...

I'm not a big fan of Dawn, but if you want to strip the existing wax that's one way to do it. Just remember that Dawn will also begin to dry out things like rubber over time so I wouldn't do it more than once a year. If you do decide to use it, then just substitute Dawn for your regular car soap.

Polishing helps to set up the paint, if you have the time I would recommend it before you glaze or wax.

If you're going to clay it should be done before polishing for a couple of reasons, 1) it removes contaminants from the paint before polishing then drags them around on your surface. 2) If you do any damage with the clay (I put some microscratches in my paint when I clayed) the polishing will smooth them out as well. Many people do not/have never clayed. That's okay too, but your finish won't be as pristine.

After you've stripped the old wax, clayed and or polished, realize that your paint is now virtually unprotected and a good coat of glaze/polish is a must. I used NXT last season with pretty good results. It is extremely easy to use and was pretty durable.

Once you have a good coat of glaze, use a quick Detailer after you wash to maintain the finish.
Thanks for your input. So, my understanding is that I do not need to use a cleaner if I use dawn-right?

Also, I do not plan to clay the car, so if I use dawn then a polish, then NXT I should be in good shape?

Do I need to use a polish, or can I just use dawn and NXT and that will cover everything?

Finally, can I just clean the car as normal, put on NXT and have great results?

I used Meguiars clearner Wax about 6 months only and it did an O.K. job, but did not last very long. I am starting to get swirl marks in the finish. Hopefully one (or all) of the above senarios with solve the problem and give me a great shine!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
I'm Baaack!

Thanks for your input. So, my understanding is that I do not need to use a cleaner if I use dawn-right? If you're looking to remove the existing wax then you can use Dawn instead of a car wash

Also, I do not plan to clay the car, so if I use dawn then a polish, then NXT I should be in good shape? Sounds like

Do I need to use a polish, or can I just use dawn and NXT and that will cover everything? You mentioned swirls .. I would polish .. search in this forum for polish/swirl removers, I personally use Menzerna with a Porter Cable and have had great results but others use different products.

Finally, can I just clean the car as normal, put on NXT and have great results? See above, if you have swirls, they will probably remain visible under the NXT. I would try and address them before applying NXT.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Thanks for your input. So, my understanding is that I do not need to use a cleaner if I use dawn-right? If you're looking to remove the existing wax then you can use Dawn instead of a car wash

Also, I do not plan to clay the car, so if I use dawn then a polish, then NXT I should be in good shape? Sounds like

Do I need to use a polish, or can I just use dawn and NXT and that will cover everything? You mentioned swirls .. I would polish .. search in this forum for polish/swirl removers, I personally use Menzerna with a Porter Cable and have had great results but others use different products.

Finally, can I just clean the car as normal, put on NXT and have great results? See above, if you have swirls, they will probably remain visible under the NXT. I would try and address them before applying NXT.

Last time!!! So do I need to remove the existing wax to get the swirls out, or can I just use a polish and then NXT?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

I dont want to give false info but im pretty sure you have to take off the wax to treat swirls. I think swirls are in the clearcoat so you have to get down to that level.....
Old 04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm Baaack!

Crazy - your right, but polishing will take off the wax ... (hell if Dawn will do it .. damn skippy the abrasives in a good polish will)

off topic - How'd your first time with the PC go???
Old 04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Hey Brewmaster - I use Meguiars NXT, real happy with it. Will a polish prior to NXT give it anymore kick or deepness? Or is polishing before NXT a waste (thought I read somewhere that NXT has something in it that strips away previous laid stuff) Any polish recommendations if you agree I should use one? Thanks.

TB
Old 04-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Senior Moderator

off topic - How'd your first time with the PC go???
wasnt too bad.
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/detailed-audi-today-so-more-pics-305002/
Old 04-29-2005, 06:20 AM
I'm Baaack!

Tbone - I'm certainly no expert, but a good surface prep (i.e. polishing) can only improve the results you get with any glaze or wax ... somewhere around here I have a pic or two from when I finished mine ...

Here it is: Link
Old 04-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Instructor

So, let me be clear (again)!!!

1. I need to wash the car (normally without Dawn),
2. Use a good polish to get the swirls out,
3. Use NXT for a kick a-- shine and protection!!!

Right?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm Baaack!

Sure (avoiding the whole "my product is better than your product" discussion)
Old 04-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Nice!

Hoping I can get mine washed before the rains startup again then spend the weekend detailing - polish, couple coats of NXT. I am going to try and wait in between coats and wait before finishing with a QD. Supposedly the NXT does better when sits for 12 hrs. in between..... We'll see if time allows.
Just installed some flourescent lights from the Home Depot over each bay in the garage - so I can wax day or night.

Tbone - I'm certainly no expert, but a good surface prep (i.e. polishing) can only improve the results you get with any glaze or wax ... somewhere around here I have a pic or two from when I finished mine ...

Here it is: Link
Old 04-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

If you dont wax often maybe you should get a sealant instead... Klasse AIO is a nice product that lasts.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm Baaack!

NXT is a polymer and my experience was that it lasted pretty long, especially if you QD every couple of weeks.

You'll hear different stories about layering NXT. I did and thought it helped, others have told me that NXT has just enough abrasive in it that it pretty much removes the old coat when you add the new, so layering wouldn't be effective.

Again I thought it looked better after 2 coats, but it may have just been my mentally justifying the time spent.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

^ ahh didnt know that. I always heard NXT didnt last long...
Old 04-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I asked on the Meguiars forums and Meguires response was that
they recommend two coats on NXT.

I went the two coats route and am touching up with the NXT
Quick Detailer.

Jerry
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
NXT is a polymer and my experience was that it lasted pretty long, especially if you QD every couple of weeks.

You'll hear different stories about layering NXT. I did and thought it helped, others have told me that NXT has just enough abrasive in it that it pretty much removes the old coat when you add the new, so layering wouldn't be effective.

Again I thought it looked better after 2 coats, but it may have just been my mentally justifying the time spent.
Not so much abrasives Brew, more chemical cleaning ability. Sometimes mental justification is worth two coats! I agree with the others, about it not being able to be layered.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Meg's NXT Wax

You can find a good article about NXT cure time and layering on this site.

IMO the 2 coats would be more insurance that the car has an even overall coating of the product as opposed to actual layering.