Wax Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey RF your box is full, I was gonna ask you where you got DACP in Toronto?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Racer

I took the advice of this thread and I must say, I made the best choice of my life when it came to auto wax.

Hands down OPTIMUM CAR WAX spray works soooo well...spray and wipe...instantly I see a nice shine and gloss! leaves NO residue unlike meguiars wax.

also it smells good too, like vanilla cake...haha

Old 09-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
omfg that is one hell of a reflection
Old 09-21-2005, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Thumbs up Ziano

Originally Posted by K24tunr
Can anyone recommend a good off the shelf wax, like Meguiar's or something different than Griots Garage and Zaino? Looking for a process that requires less steps if that is possible?
Ziano,I think is the best and easyest to use with great results.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Lets make this easy. Carnauba-Natty's...hands down the best. Synthetic, Klasse AIO/SG
Old 09-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Advanced

greendestiny Great to hear you like the Optimum spray wax...it's almost too easy isn't it?

It makes me feel as if I am cheating and then feel guilty about charging my clients......almost

This is an E55 detailed and finished out with Optimum spray wax, fender shot in full sun.

Optimum also produces some incredible reflective properties

Porsche Cayenne

Anthony
Old 09-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Anthony, glad to see your quality work over here as well as on the Autopia boards!! You are a highly skilled detailer. I used to use imagshack for hosting images but I erased my registration link and now I can't post pics without signing up with a new photo host. Which do you use/which is the easiest (in your opinion). Also, what camera do you use to take your pics?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i use 3 layers on zymoil on hood and trunk, quik detailer wax for everything else
Old 09-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Spinnin them beats

Originally Posted by greendestiny
I took the advice of this thread and I must say, I made the best choice of my life when it came to auto wax.

Hands down OPTIMUM CAR WAX spray works soooo well...spray and wipe...instantly I see a nice shine and gloss! leaves NO residue unlike meguiars wax.

also it smells good too, like vanilla cake...haha

where did you find it??? where can u buy it??? or can u only order it???
Old 09-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acuraluvr, I believe you can only get Optimum online as this is not an OTC product. See post #37. Of those online sites, Optimum products are stocked by Exceldetail, Premium Auto Care & PakShak. Also include Top of the Line.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:45 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

IF you are looking for a quick wax ...

NXT is great for shine and "pop" in colour, however is lacks in durability and will need to be applied within the month to maintain optimum shine.

Klasse AIO is another all-in-one product and is probably the best one out there. It is a great stain remover, great polisher and great protector.. one coat will last months.. Cons: It can be a bit difficult if it is put on too thick and allowed to dry, work on a 2-4 sqft area at a time, put it on, wait a bit and wipe it off, it doesn't need to be left on.

Or, if the car is clean from stains, and a cleaner product is not needed, I will go straight to a high quality pure carnauba such as: P21S (S100 is the motorcycle version, and is cheaper but it's the same thing), Meguiar's #16 Paste wax, Natty's Paste Wax,etc... These waxes wuill give the best depth and shine to the car, no contest.... They will however need to be reapplied in one to three months, depending on where the car is parked (in the sun, in a garage, etc..)and the ammount of weathering the car gets on a daily basis.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by maximumdetails
Anthony, glad to see your quality work over here as well as on the Autopia boards!! You are a highly skilled detailer. I used to use imagshack for hosting images but I erased my registration link and now I can't post pics without signing up with a new photo host. Which do you use/which is the easiest (in your opinion). Also, what camera do you use to take your pics?
Hey thanks for the kind words

I use image shack as well and I to lost my registration, or rather when my computer was doing a cleaning up job it deleted all my cookies, hence my image shack so I had to re-register but it was easy as all I had to do was put in my e-mail address and they sent me a link and that's that.

Now I have locked in my cookies for image shack.

Take care,
Anthony
Old 09-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Instructor

This is what I use on my car.
1. Optimum Car Wash Soap
2. Clay Bar
3. Klasse AIO
4. Klasse Glaze
5. Optimum Spray Wax (do this about once a month)
Do steps 1-4 only once a year and the car always looks great.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Thanks anthony, I'll have to try that.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Spinnin them beats

where can u buy teh optimum spray wax???
Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
where can u buy teh optimum spray wax???
It's not available OTC. Get it from exceldetail.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:11 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
P21S is my favorite right now, but i'm really starting to like natty's paste

Old 09-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like I should try the Optimum Spray Wax. After clay, polish, and NXT is a layer of Optimum Spray Wax over NXT redundant? Should it be one or the other, or is it OK/desirable to layer OSW over NXT?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd skip the NXt and go with the Opt Wax. Youll get much better durability with Opt then with NXT.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:04 PM
10th Gear

Pardon the following...

after reading so much. my Q is, is there such a thing as too much waxing/detailing on the car so much to the part where it'll hurt the paint/shine?? I mean if you tend to wash your car 1x, 2x or more every week, personally I try to limit it to 2x max a week. Whats the dealiO?? Someone please remedy this for me, thanx!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ somewhere there is a thread where the OP waxed his car every day. No lie. He said he worked at a carwash.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nguyen168
after reading so much. my Q is, is there such a thing as too much waxing/detailing on the car so much to the part where it'll hurt the paint/shine?? I mean if you tend to wash your car 1x, 2x or more every week, personally I try to limit it to 2x max a week. Whats the dealiO?? Someone please remedy this for me, thanx!!!
Andy, most polymers (synthetic waxes) should hold up for 6-8 weeks with routine upkeep i.e. wash, use of a spritz or QD product, etc. Natural waxes (carnubas) will have a shorter span. IMO, excessive waxing will not hurt your paint, but will not yeild any beneficial gains. As far as washing, once every 7-10 days is normal and there will be exceptions. Again the use of a waterless wash/QD/ID will help protect/prolong the original layer of wax/sealant and give the vehicle a "just washed" look.

Originally Posted by jlukja
^^ somewhere there is a thread where the OP waxed his car every day. No lie. He said he worked at a carwash.
Yea, I remeber that post but couldn't find it. I believe he was from Texas ......

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 05-19-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nguyen168
If you wash too often: Swirls
If you cut too often: Thins the clearcoat
If you wax too often: You renew the wax layer, but it doesn't get much thicker. Do it too often, it is a waste of effort and product. But do it every month and you'll ensure that your car is always protected, especially after you have cleaned off bird droppings because that eats at the wax almost immediately.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Guys!

Quick question....

I am going to Pep Boys to pick up something simple.

I decided to use Mequires NTX (wax) -and- Turtle Wax Ice (polish)

Which do I apply first?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Hey Guys!

Quick question....

I am going to Pep Boys to pick up something simple.

I decided to use Mequires NTX (wax) -and- Turtle Wax Ice (polish)

Which do I apply first?

Thanks
Ice is more of a sealant than a polish and maybe comparable to NXT. Ice incorporates a mild cleaner like NXT and I don't think using one on top of the other will have any benefit. Fact is you'll be cleaning one off while applying one. Your best bet is to use Megs DC Paint Cleaner, followed by DC System Polish and then apply NXT. Another option is Mothers Pre Wax cleaner followed Mothers Reflections Car Wax. Most are available OTC.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:28 AM
rec
Advanced

With a new car that's only a few weeks old, does one still need the paint cleaner, polish, wax cycle? I always just used Megs cleaner/wax on my last car and don't usually have the time for a multi-pass all day detailing. With new paint, I was thinking I might only need a cleaner and a wax (I was going to try NXT as well).

What are the benefits to a Megs Paint Cleaner which I think is a non abrasive chemical cleaner vs a mildly abrasive pre-wax cleaner? And finally, are the single purpose pre-wax cleaners usually more abrasive than the cleaner/wax combination products?

Thanks for your help
Old 05-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

You may have had your car just a few weeks, but consider 1) how it was shipped to the dealer, 2) how long it sat on the lot & 3) what was done during the dealer prep. The finish felt smooth and the paint glistened when I first got my TL. The first thing I did was wash it, clay, mild polish/cleanser and then seal. You would not believe what the clay picked up. After all that, the finish was like glass and the color seemed darker. That was my experience.

Megs System Paint cleaner is non abraisive. A paint cleaner will remove surface contamination and old wax buildup. Some contain fillers to "fill" te swirls and give the impression there are none. Abraisive polishes are used to remove surface defects like marring, swirls and minor scratches. Pre-wax cleaners/cleansers will have little or no abraisive cutting action. Cleaner/wax is basically a one step product, a chemical cleaner with wax mixed in. I'm sure the others guys will chime in and present their views.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:49 AM
rec
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
... but consider 1) how it was shipped to the dealer, 2) how long it sat on the lot & 3) what was done during the dealer prep. The finish felt smooth and the paint glistened when I first got my TL. The first thing I did was wash it, clay, mild polish/cleanser and then seal. ...
Thanks. Valid points you've made. Other than the claying, which I will reconsider, that's what I had planned to do for the first cleaning other than the washes so far.

What's your choice in a "mild polish/cleanser"? I'm looking OTC and have only seen wax/cleaner combos, nothing classified as a polish cleaner combo. The polishes in the store all seem to be part of a 3 separate step clean/polish/wax process.

The 12 year old car I got rid of didn't get quite as much thought when it came to cleaning
Old 05-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Try Mothers pre Wax cleaner ....

Old 05-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Hey guys,

Based on your recommendations, I went to Pep Boys and bought
Mothers Pre wax and then Mothers Reflections .

I should have waited as I found a product that came HIGHLY
recommended on several forums like this....

Klasse All-In-One

I bought this and will try it.

Let me ask....

Should this product be topped off with additional wax afterwards?
If so, would Mothers Reflections be a good choice since I already
have it on hand?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

In your previous posts, you mentioned PEP Boys and as far as I know Klasse is not available OTC. Hence, the recommendations given. Anyway, AIO is an excellent product. Basically a chemical cleaner that pretty much does everything. I believe you'll be very happy with the results. It's been an ongoing practice to top AIO with a sealant or a carnuba. I haven't tried it with Mothers, but have used Natty's/S100. Very nice. FYI, S100 ($15.95) is available at most HD dealers and is virtually the same product as P21S ($31.95) at half the price. Welcome to the wonderful world of detailing.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:17 AM
Instructor

Hawhyen51 ,

Thanks for your help.

I ordered the Klasse AIO (16oz.) from Amazon.com

I ordered the S100 Paste Wax from AutoGeek.com

Will apply the AIO followed by the S100.

I am going to ditch the Mothers wax I just bought.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Former Sponsor

You will/would have gotten much better durability with Mothers then the S100............I find S100 doesnt last much longer then Megs #6........
Old 05-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Jeez,

Every post has a different recommendation.

Now, after I ordered the S100, you guys are saying that
<b>Mothers</b> would have been a better wax to use?

BTW, I have the <b>Mothers Reflections</b> so I don't
know if that is the one you are recommending.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes, the reflections is a Polymer sealant. "Good" Polymers will out last the vast majority of Nubas, with the exception of maybe Collinite. This is proven with every detail i do at least. As for looks, I dare anyone to compare....
Your line up is good, im just arguing the fact that the S100 is "better" then the Reflections.....Both are easy to use, both look excellent, and both would last atop AIO. I just think the Mothers would last longer......
Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Jeez,

Every post has a different recommendation.

Now, after I ordered the S100, you guys are saying that
<b>Mothers</b> would have been a better wax to use?

BTW, I have the <b>Mothers Reflections</b> so I don't
know if that is the one you are recommending.
Just to set the record straight, polymers will have durability over carnubas. Carnubas, IMO give the paint a more wet look. Personally, I prefer the durability of a polymer and others prefer carnuba. I've used that combo (AIO/S100) on a friend's 350Z and he was beside himself. I'm sure Exceldetail will agree, if you are pleased with the results, that's all that matters. And one of the neat things about detailing is using different combos to get a finish to die for. NJ, suggest you try one on this application and the other one on the next and decide from there.