Which types of pads for a random orbital buffer

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Which types of pads for a random orbital buffer

Hey I was wondering if anyone could educate me on the difference between the Lake Country CCS pads (the ones with dimples) versus their flat pads. Which one is better to use with a random orbital buffer and why? Also, which would you recommend for polishing? for waxing?

Thanks

http://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-6inch-pads.html

http://www.autogeek.net/vcpad.html
Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I use the flat ones .. I find the dimpled ones make it hard to break down polishes.

I don't use them for waxing.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

And most of us use 5.5" pads
Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
And most of us use 5.5" pads
Thanks. I got the Griot's buffer with a 6" backing plate. Can I use a 5.5" on that? Also, any difference between the Griot's pads and the Lake County ones?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by djDANNY
Thanks. I got the Griot's buffer with a 6" backing plate. Can I use a 5.5" on that? Also, any difference between the Griot's pads and the Lake County ones?
Can't use smaller pads .. and the difference .. the price.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Since Meguiars and Optimum have come out with their microfiber DA pads, I rarely use foam anymore. Meguiars has cutting and finishing MF pads, Optimum has cutting and polishing MF pads. Always have all 4 on hand.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally use dimple or hex cut pads for dual action polishers like the porter cable, but i use flat face pads for machines like the flex 3401 and my makita rotory
Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Advanced

i use 6'' backing plate on my PC (porter cable) and i use a 5" backing plate on my flex.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What's a good combo for the soft Honda/Acura clear?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Advanced

If your starting off, i suggest a PC 7424 xp to anyone learning to use a polisher. I know how to use polishers and i still find many uses for this machine. So its not something you will buy just to learn on. Once you have it mastered you can move on to a forced rotation machine such as a flex 3401. My pc is used to maintain my cars finish, as you dont want forced action/rotation machine on your car all the time, you only have so much clear coat.

So to recap, i suggest a PC 7424xp with 6.5'' pads as it comes with a backing plate in the box (note, do not use the shitty pad that comes in the box)

p.s adams has some really goo starter sets with everything you need for the pc, which works out to a great deal in the end.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
like dale, i use 5.5" flat pads....i on the other hand, use black pads for applying my sealant/wax....very slow speed, maybe 2 or less on my udm/pc
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by J.TL
If your starting off, i suggest a PC 7424 xp to anyone learning to use a polisher. I know how to use polishers and i still find many uses for this machine. So its not something you will buy just to learn on. Once you have it mastered you can move on to a forced rotation machine such as a flex 3401. My pc is used to maintain my cars finish, as you dont want forced action/rotation machine on your car all the time, you only have so much clear coat.

So to recap, i suggest a PC 7424xp with 6.5'' pads as it comes with a backing plate in the box (note, do not use the shitty pad that comes in the box)

p.s adams has some really goo starter sets with everything you need for the pc, which works out to a great deal in the end.
Can you elaborate on this, I just got a PC 7424XP for Xmas and want to wash/polish my MDX and am looking for some pointers. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JTYankFan
Can you elaborate on this, I just got a PC 7424XP for Xmas and want to wash/polish my MDX and am looking for some pointers. Thanks!
I have learned a lot through this place. The articles are very detailed, organized, and concise. A huge help. Good luck!

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...hyperlinks.htm
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JTYankFan
Hey JT, what did you want me to elaborate on? Process or technique?

First you should wash your truck, with a 2 bucket system and learn how to proper was your vehicles so that when you correct them you will not damage them anymore.

A 2 buckert system is when you was your car with 2 buckets that (should) have grit guards in them. One with soap water, and one with pure water. After you spray your truck down and remove as much dirt from the paint as possible you start your wash. You dip in the soapy water, and wash one panel of the vehicle and then dip into the pure water and rub your sponge or wash pad/mitt on the grit gaurd cleaning it. This keeps your soapy water clean, or else you would be putting the dirt back into your soapy water and would essential be washing your truck with sand paper.

Perfect this system before you start polishing your truck and you will save your clear coat.

Hope this helps, any other questions just ask!

Jay.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ACE2790
I have learned a lot through this place. The articles are very detailed, organized, and concise. A huge help. Good luck!

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...hyperlinks.htm
Thanks!

Originally Posted by J.TL
Hey JT, what did you want me to elaborate on? Process or technique?

First you should wash your truck, with a 2 bucket system and learn how to proper was your vehicles so that when you correct them you will not damage them anymore.

A 2 buckert system is when you was your car with 2 buckets that (should) have grit guards in them. One with soap water, and one with pure water. After you spray your truck down and remove as much dirt from the paint as possible you start your wash. You dip in the soapy water, and wash one panel of the vehicle and then dip into the pure water and rub your sponge or wash pad/mitt on the grit gaurd cleaning it. This keeps your soapy water clean, or else you would be putting the dirt back into your soapy water and would essential be washing your truck with sand paper.

Perfect this system before you start polishing your truck and you will save your clear coat.

Hope this helps, any other questions just ask!

Jay.
Thanks a lot. It was actually why I shouldn't use the shitty pad that comes in the box, lol. (I put in bold what I had a question with..)
Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Advanced

Oh ok i understood you wanted me to elaborate on the pc7424xp. In any case, defiantly use the backing plate in the box. I'm certain my pc came with a backing plate in the original box, But do not use the white pad they give you. That is some really low quality garbage just so the tool can be used out of the box. At the very best i've used that pad maybe once, and it was to experiment with metal polishing chrome by machine. (in which i was quite happy with the results so i bought quality 4" pads for chrome jobs lol)